About

*Photo courtesy of the Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau

Aloha and welcome to The Tasty Island!

A blog site of my experiences enjoying the wonderful food of Hawaii, with a focus on Honolulu on the island of Oahu. This includes recipes and reviews of eateries ranging from the neighborhood plate lunch stand to fine dining restaurants.

Comments are welcome and certainly appreciated, provided they are in good taste.

All content on this site are original work of this site, unless otherwise noted.

Mahalo for visiting,
Pomai
____________________________________________

THE TASTY ISLAND MUSUBI RATING SYSTEM

The Tasty Island uses an informal rating system based on Hawaii’s very own Spam Musubi icon, and new since June 2012, an Ume Musubi icon. Informal, meaning that the “Musubi Grade” isn’t mathematically averaged from total point scores on a set of various criteria, but simply by my overall impression of the restaurant, item or recipe at hand.

This is simply a fun and easy way to identify with visitors that The Tasty Island truly has Hawaii in its heart.

The Tasty Island Spam Musubi Rating System

• (5) Superb. Worthy of repeat visits or purchases. (Broke Da’ Mout’!)

• (4) Excellent. Worth another visit or purchase. (Winnahz!)

• (3) Very Good. Considerable of another visit or purchase. (Supah’ Ono!)

• (2) Good. I’m glad I tried it. (Ono)

• (1) Average. (She Go)

Notice there isn’t any grade below average, as I don’t want to go into “bashing” territory here.  If an item is included and is below average, I may make a note of it and that’s it. If it’s so bad that it reduces my entire impression of the product or restaurant, then that said place or product will simply not be qualified to be posted on this blogsite.

After all, this isn’t the “yucky” island, it’s The TASTY Island!
____________________________________________

Quick facts about The Tasty Island blog site:

• Established: June 8, 2006
  • Former domain as of 6/08/06: http://tastyisland.wordpress.com; new domain as of 10/17/09: http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com
  • Food categories: All ethnic flavors (as time permits)
  • Coverage area: Primarily Oahu, with additions from travels to the neighbor islands of Hawaii
  • Expected frequency of new posts: Weekly; sometimes more often than that, sometimes a bit longer
  • Who inspired you to do this? A school teacher
  • Why do you do this? A) I love to eat; and B)  I love to write
  • Cameras for photographs: Canon PowerShot A510, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 (as of 9/14/08), Canon PowerShot S95 (as of 6/11). Currently Canon PowerShot S100 (as of 7/13).
  • Contact: pomai_05<at>yahoo<dot>com

Quick facts about Pomai

• Born on Oahu and raised in Kaneohe, Pomai now calls Waikiki, in Honolulu, Hawaii, home
  • Single male of Portuguese/Hawaiian/German/English ancestry
  • Favorite Cuisine: Japanese and Pacific/Hawaii Regional, yet open to the world when it comes to food and life!
  • Contact: pomai_05<at>yahoo<dot>com

The Tasty Island in the News & Featured Media:

Pomai is also an Elite Member on Yelp:

147 thoughts on “About

• May 28, 2012 at 10:22 am

Pomai;
    I thank you very much.
    Arnulfo

• June 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Aloha Barry,

It would be more than an honor for The Tasty Island to be represented with Char-Broil. Feel free to eMail me for further discussion.

Mahalo,
      Pomai

• May 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Just read your green tea article. Thanks. Especially for the encouragement to get back into shape.

• August 14, 2012 at 8:49 am

Aloha Pomai:

My client is celebrating his grand opening of his Chinese Restaurant,
    Red Coral, located at the old On-On Chinese Restaurant at 1110 McCully Street this evening. Owner Sun Cheng humbly invites you to stop by for a taste of Northern Chinese cuisine and celebrate his grand opening with family and friends. This event tonight is FREE to attend for all members of social media, press and for any bloggers focused on food, eating and dining. Please contact Sun at 808-387-8098 to rsvp now. See you there!

Mike

• August 14, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Mike, huge mahalo for the invitation. I just called Sun, and he says I can come in anytime tonight. Just got home from working overtime and fighting a MAJOR traffic jam, so need to rest first. I’m beat. I’ll try and make it. If not, he said I can come in any other night. Thanks again! :-)

• September 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed your Tasty Island site – especially your interesting “Cooking” demos. I was actually interested in smoking meats and your Big Island Smoke Meat demo was the start of my “smoke meat” endeavors…however, noted that you’re not too much involved recently in your food demos? Wondering if any upcoming plans?
    Thanks again for efforts on this site!
    Tom N.

• September 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I’ve noticed many comments where readers particularly enjoy the cooking demos here, mainly because of the employment of lots of photos, which does help, instead of just a text recipe.

My next cooking demo will probably be Misoyaki Salmon stuffed Aburage simmered in oden broth. That’s way down the road though, as I’m STILL working on my coverage of the 4th annual Up in Smoke Cook-off.

• November 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Check out “Coconut Secret”s they have a product “Coconut Aminos” that could be the next best thing to Yamasa Shoyu, without the sodium load.

You have an outstanding site: clear photographs and a local touch to your descriptions. Mahalo.

Ernie.

• November 11, 2012 at 8:42 am

Ernie,

Yamasa is my favorite brand, which I find tastes right smack in between the salty, super robust Kikkoman and comparably milder Aloha Shoyu.

That Coconut Aminos soy substitute sauce you mentioned looks interesting. I’ll pick a bottle up if I see it in the grocery store. Thanks for the tip!

Glad you like the site. :-)

• December 5, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Trying to get in touch with ernie

• December 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Marsha,

I just shot an eMail to Ernie to ask him respond to you here. Are you with the Coconut Secret company?

A side note on that, Costco Hawaii just brought in Organic Coconut Oil (for cooking use, not suntan oil lol). It looks SUPER thick. Quite pricey however, going for $17.99 per 40 oz. bottle, IIRC.

Pomai

• December 12, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hi Pomai –

I have a quick question about “The Tasty Island!” Please email me back when you get a chance…thank you!

• January 23, 2013 at 2:13 pm

What is the picture on the far right that’s on your main banner? Three flat yellow sandwich looking things…. Maybe with roast pork in them??

• February 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I really would like to buy your smiked Marlin. what di I do?

• March 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Hi my name is Cody Stark, I host a TV show in California called, “Goodday Sacramento” I saw your blog about, “Angry Korean Lady” she is HILARIOUS! I showed off your posting on the show and everyone went nuts! I’m trying to convince my boss to let me fly in and meet her, if I do, will you go with me to grab a bite? We could also set up Skype or FaceTime interview to talk about your blog (get you some non island eyeballs, it’s really well done) we are on from 7-11am pacific time, I know that’s super early for you. Get in touch with me at tvguycody< (at)>gmail.com zap me back and we can coordinate. Thanks for the most excellent posting, really made my day

• March 8, 2013 at 5:32 am

Aloha Cody,

Sure, I’d be more than honored to grab a bite with ya’ at Ah Lang. Will this be filmed for your Goodday Sacramento CBS Network TV show? If so, I’d be great if I could get a digital copy to share with the readers here on YouTube (or hosted on your network website). I’d also love to see the G.S. segment you recently did featuring my review of Ah Lang on this blog. That’d be sweet.

I just have a few terms of agreement when we meet over lunch or dinner at Ah Lang: YOU do everything Won expects us to do. That means YOU (Cody c/o CBS) bring Won her favorite Michelob Ultra and/or Shoju. YOU (Cody) get us the iced water (and keep it filled). YOU (Cody) get the food from the kitchen. YOU (Cody) take the dirty dishes back to the kitchen. YOU (Cody) do the dishes. And finally YOU (Cody c/o CBS) pay the bill.

I’ll just stay comfortably seated and enjoy watching you work while Won and I enjoy some GREAT Korean grub, Shoju and/or Michelob Ultra together. LOL!!! :party:

I’ll send ya’ an eMail later.

Mahalo,
      Pomai

• March 26, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Kauai Based Monkeypod Jam Brings Taste of the Garden Isle to Oahu

By Aletha Thomas
    March 19, 2013

Koloa, HI – Monkeypod Jam is excited to bring the tastes of Kauai to Oahu Friday, May 3 and Saturday, May 4, 2013. To help celebrate Foodland’s 65 years of business, R. Fields, Aina Haina will host Monkeypod Jam creator, Aletha Thomas for an afternoon jam tasting between four and six. The public is invited to come sample Kauai’s local produce resulting in wonderful flavor blends such as Mountain Apple Pepper Jelly, Papaya Vanilla Jam, Tahitian Lime Curd, Spiced Tomato Jam, Caracara Ginger Marmalade and Banana Foster Jam.
    On Saturday, May 4, Aletha will showcase Monkeypod’s fruit preserves at the Ala Moana William-Sonoma Artisan Market, which takes places the first Saturday of each month. Shoppers are encouraged to attend this monthly event to try products created by artisanal food crafters across the state of Hawaii. Monkeypod will share six different preserves, and each will be available for purchase at farmers market prices.
    Both events will share company and product information along with listings of where to find Monkeypod Jam throughout Oahu. Select preserves are currently available for purchase through R. Fields Wine Company at Foodland Aina Haina, Ala Moana, Market City, Kapolei, Kailua and Beretania.
    About Monkeypod Jam
    Monkeypod Jam came about in June of 2010 when middle school teacher, Aletha Thomas was placed on furlough. Each furlough Friday, Aletha created unique Kauai fruit jams, jellies, marmalades and curds, utilizing traditional French preservation techniques. Today, Monkeypod Jam works with over 25 Kauai farmers to create 55 seasonal preserves. Monkeypod is deeply committed to Kauai agriculture, green practices and impeccably high preserving standards. The company’s unabashed flavor combinations have captured the interest of Hawaii’s prominent chefs and shop owners. In September of 2012, Monkeypod Jam started stocking the shelves of select off-island retail outlets. Later this year, the company hopes to increase its availability to over fifty shops throughout Hawaii.

Contact
    To learn more about Monkeypod Jam’s Oahu tour, please contact:
    Aletha Thomas, Founder
    3211 Hapa Road
    Kolola, HI 96756
    Office: 808.639.3874
    info@monkeypodjam.com

###

• June 2, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Macarons in Japan are a popular confection known as “makaron”.There is also a version of the same name which substitutes peanut flour for almond and is flavored in wagashi style, widely available in Japan.’*.`

Our new website
    <http://www.healthmedicinebook.com

• June 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Macaroni is a variety of dry pasta made with durum wheat. Elbow macaroni noodles normally do not contain eggs, (although they may be an optional ingredient) and are normally cut in short, hollow shapes; however, the term refers not to the shape of the pasta, but to the kind of dough from which the noodle is made. Although home machines exist that can make macaroni shapes, macaroni is usually made commercially by large-scale extrusion.,’-:

My favorite webpage
    <http://homeimprovementstuffs.com/index.php

• June 21, 2013 at 8:27 am

Very useful will use in the near future when I come home to visit my originated Honolulu HI home.
    Nice to know other different places to eat and visit. Wish I new about this Blogger sooner!!!

• September 12, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I’d love to interview you about the history of Hawaii snacks. Can you email me at tlyoung88 at yahoo (dot) com/

• October 17, 2013 at 3:27 am

Pomai – Can you shoot me an email? :) I tried your hotmail and it bounced.. :(

• October 17, 2013 at 5:38 am

beedoo,

My eMail isn’t hotmail, it’s yahoo.

pomai_05 -at- yahoo -dot- com

Anyhow, I sent you an email.

• November 23, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Hi Pomai. I’m almost done with the contest list. However, a dozen or more of your blog postings are NOT working. Just a few are

Many more. Too many to list.
    Please let me know when they are corrected.
    Thanks!

• November 23, 2013 at 7:08 pm

mimi,

I received your contest list via eMail.

Mahalo!
      Pomai

• April 3, 2014 at 7:35 am

Thanks for your comments on my blog, sounds like you’ve done an amazing job getting trim and fit. Plus you did it on your own rather than having bad health force you to do it, as is my case. I agree Costco really should have better food court choices, just having olive oil and vinegar available, along with some simpler salads, would help tremendously.

• September 28, 2014 at 12:52 am

Aloha!
    I was wondering of wanted to try out our new place in Kapolei! We opened about a month ago and hopefully worked out most of the kinks. We are having a grand opening on Saturday October 4th and have invited the farmer Kahumana Farms and live music. You are also most welcome to come sooner. You can find out location and menus on our website http://www.plantationtavern.com!
    Hope to see you,