A special media tasting event took place this past Thursday at the Koapaka Street (HNL airport) location, where McDonald’s of Hawaii officially introduced the new Swiss Mushroom Melt* series to their ongoing Signature Crafted® Recipes line of sandwiches. Along with that, they also presented the new Pineapple Pie*, as well as their new in-restaurant digital kiosk and mobile app.
Swiss Mushroom Melt
The new Swiss Mushroom Melt* is McDonald’s newest addition to the Signature Crafted Recipes line. It is a classic melt that combines grilled mushrooms with two slices of real Swiss cheese. It’s paired with a creamy garlic and herb spread. Customers can choose either a delectable artisan roll or a fresh sesame seed bun. $5.89 sandwich/$8.49 meal (with fries and drink) Waikiki price, 490-760 calories per sandwich/510-1400 calories as a meal.
There are three delicious types of meat to choose from:
• Quarter pound beef – 100% real beef patties – seared to stay thick and juicy. There are no fillers, additives or preservatives.
• Buttermilk crispy chicken – 100% white meat chicken filet that’s juicy, seasoned, breaded and cooked to golden perfection.
• Grilled artisan chicken – All white meat chicken filet that’s perfectly marinated for a juicy flavor. There are no artificial preservatives, flavors or colors.
*The Swiss Mushroom Melt series and Pineapple Pie are only available for a limited time.
• McDonald’s new digital self-order kiosks make ordering and paying convenient, quick and easy.
• Kiosks empower guests to browse the menu, find new options and tailor their meal to fit their tastes.
• A host is there to assist customers with their kiosk orders.
• For dine-in service, a table number is provided, which your order is brought directly to where you are seated. No standing and waiting!
• Customers now have a new, easier way to order and pay for their meals right from their smartphones.
• Everyone is encouraged to download the McDonald’s app from the App Store or Google Play.
• After downloading, click on “Mobile Order & Pay” to start your order. Choose your restaurant, indicate the pick-up time, and select your menu items.
• Upon checking in at the restaurant, your order is made fresh for you.
• There are three ways to pick up your order: 1) Drive-thru, 2) curbside or 3) inside the restaurant
Following are photos, captions and commentary from the tasting event. Enjoy. ;-)
The Pineapple Pie has small chunks of real pineapple carried in a sweet gelatinous filling, encased in their always tasty deep-fried pie crust (same one used for the classic Apple Pie)
McDonald’s new high tech Digital Kiosk allows you to view the entire menu and place your order. You pay with either debit or credit card. If using cash, you’ll need to go to the regular ordering counter. Once you place your order, you’re instructed to take a table number and get seated. Once your order is ready, a McDonald’s team member will bring your order to your table. Cool!
McDonald’s Digital Kiosk table number (there’s a tracking chip in it)
MVNP PR Representatives Marisa Wong, Joanne Teruya, Stacy Gabriel, Jamie Lee and Rob Deveraturda at the McDonald’s of Hawaii media event promoting their new Signature Crafted Recipes Swiss Mushroom Melt series of sandwiches. 11.30.17.
And? Between the Crispy Chicken, Artisan Chicken and Beef Burger Swiss Mushroom Melt sandwiches, my fave was the burger. And that’s only because as you regular readers here know I’m not exactly a chicken fan. Still, if you like chicken, I think you’d be very happy with either one.
The burger patty itself is pretty salty, yet not so much that it was unbearable, however noticeable. That of course helped boost the flavor of the yummy swiss and mushroom topping. Speaking of which, that creamy garlic and herb spread is absolutely delicious, albeit a bit “heavy” (it’s like an aioli). Yet the saltiness of the beef patty, along with them garlic ‘n herbs and the richness of the aioli it’s in also really enhances the flavor of the bold-sharp flavor of the swiss cheese and earthy tone of the mushrooms. The latter of which you readers here know is one of my top favorite foods in the world. Love, love, love them ‘shrooms!
Honestly, the only drawback was that by the time we sat down and tried our samples, they were cold from the AC in the restaurant, which obviously isn’t going to do these sandwiches justice. Yet I can tell by tasting each one that if it were to be eaten piping hot right upon receiving it from the kitchen, they’d totally be rockin’ it.
As for the artisan bun they were all served with, fantastic! Just the right amount of chewiness, with a sort of “rubbery-crisp” toasted top. Very nice!
The only thing amiss for me personally with these sandwiches are the lack of lettuce, tomato and sliced onion, as I ALWAYS want that on my burgers. It really blows my mind when I see folks taking all the veggies out of their burgers. I’m like “NO!!!!!!!!” “Poho”, ‘dat kine!
As for the new limited edition Pineapple Pie. Not bad. Not great. Pretty good. Not nearly as ono as how much I liked the previous Guava Pie, Haupia Pie and Taro Pie — all exclusive to McDonald’s of Hawaii locations. I think it’s too candy-like sweet, and lacks the acidity of fresh pineapple. I’m pretty sure the chunks of real Pineapple they use in this are the same type in heavy sweet syrup in the can. The Dole stuff. What I think they should do is come out with a Pina Colada Pie, combining the Haupia filling and this Pineapple filling in one pie. Woot-woot to that!
The new digital Kiosk is super cool, user friendly and efficient. However it does concern me that in the future we won’t have any human interaction (and JOBS!) at McDonald’s. It might become fully autonomous, operated entirely by computer terminals at the front and robots running the kitchen.
Summing it up, I’m really glad that Swiss and Mushrooms have made it back to McDonald’s burgers (they’ve had that before), this time in an even higher quality, well executed product. I’ll definitely be ordering that Swiss Mushroom Melt Signature Crafted Recipes 100% Beef Burger again!
Mahalo to Stacy Gabriel and the entire team from MVNP for hosting this onolicious McDonald’s of Hawaii media event. Maikai!