Grindz of the Day: Kaneshiro Eggs & Chun Wah Kam

We begin today’s “Grindz of the Day” back again in Waimanalo, a.k.a. “God’s Country”, the OTHER “God’s Country to Kalihi, a.k.a. “The Center of Hawaii’s Food Universe”. Out in ‘Nalo you’ll find OK Poultry, formerly known as Kaneshiro’s, which I still call them by, being it sounds more local to me. And these eggs are 100% farm-fresh locally-raised, pretty much THE BEST, FRESHEST EGGS  you’ll find if not just on this island, but in the world! In fact, so fresh and wholesome, you can eat them raw and not worry about salmonella, hence they’re marketed in stores as “TKG” Eggs, meaning Tamago Kake Gohan, a Japanese style where you serve it cracked raw over hot rice. LOVE THAT!

That said, above in the first photo we have ‘Nalo-fresh Kaneshiro Eggs, that illustrate three sizes from left to right: DOUBLE, EXTRA LARGE, and LARGE. Now DOUBLE doesn’t simply mean “double extra large”. Oh no. “Double” means there’s TWO YOLKS IN ONE EGG. Dude, it’s one massive egg with twins in it! How crazy is that! Kinda’ makes  you almost feel guilty to eat it! But hey, it’s still an egg – or should I say “eggs-in-an-egg”, not developed yet, so we won’t think about that and whack ’em! lol

Above is a small chicken coop they have out front, mainly as an attraction for visitors to the farm out there in ‘Nalo. Most of their hens have coops in back where the production facilities are.

Speaking of production facilities, OK Poultry (a company from Japan who bought out Kaneshiro Poultry, yet still retains the former owners to operate it) recently poured a new foundation under an old warehouse, which will soon become a new mass-production facility for their awesome TKG eggs. Here, they’ll be able to increase their capacity for the growing demand in the market, being as it stands now, they typically sell out every day. Currently OK Poultry’s TKG eggs are distributed for retail as TKG Eggs at Don Quijote, Nijiya Market and Marukai. Hopefully they’ll eventually be in places like Costco, Whole Foods and beyond! A few local restaurants also feature their eggs, such as Kaila Cafe, to name a few. If you see “featuring TKG Eggs” or “featuring OK Poultry Eggs from Waimanalo” on the menu, GET THAT DISH!

Next and finally, we have the entire spread at the Chun Wah Kam Noodle Factory location in Kakaako, near Ala Moana Center. Reason I took these photos (with my Note 5, not my Canon) was simply I had nothing better to do while awaiting my number to be called, back in line behind MANY other patrons. Note, like most Chinese restaurants, they don’t put signs on their dishes, leaving you to pretty much just look at what you might want and think, “Ooh, that looks good, I’ll take that”. That said, hopefully some things here look ono to you! Enjoy. ;-)

You can tell this is Hawaii…. everyone wen’ whack da’ rice, not da’ noodles. Wassup wit’ dat? lol

Half-dozen Chun Wah Kam Baked Charsiu Manapua, Kauai bound as Omiyage.

A Chun Wah Kam Rice Cake for mom. She LOVES this stuff!

That’s it. Hope this helps you make a decision on what you like stay grind before hitting your friendly neighborhood Chun Wah Kam. Also don’t forget, the best, freshest eggs you can buy on Oahu are out in Waimanalo at OK Poultry, a.k.a. Kaneshiro’s. Until next time, a hui hou. ;-)

11 thoughts on “Grindz of the Day: Kaneshiro Eggs & Chun Wah Kam

• March 11, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Tamago Gohan – Really brings back the memories of the early 60’s when we still lived in Numazu Japan with my Okasan’s family. We kept chickens under the house (traditional Japanese build with thatch roof, tatami floors, and shoji walls). My Grandmother would often feed it to my sister and I for breakfast with a little shoyu mixed in along with shio aji, miso, and Ocha. It was one of my favorites but really can’t do it anymore here even with “organic” eggs. I’m probably going to have to annoy the neighbors (not to mention my wife) and get a couple of hens for the back yard! :D

Best Regards

Haru

• March 11, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Haru,

I like the sound of adding the Aji Shio, miso and ocha to Tamago Gohan. I’ll have to try that!

You mean there’s nowhere within driving distance of your home where you can buy farm fresh eggs safe to eat as Tamago Gohan? I find that surprising, especially for Alabama. Maybe you really should get a couple hens to lay your own fresh eggs in the backyard. Something to keep you busy in your retirement years. lol

• March 12, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Ha! You’d think. I’ve got a minor in Micro Bio (DON’T ask me why :D) and I’m like… A**L retentive on the food safety stuff… In my area it’s mostly cattle ranching after the Boll Weevil wiped out most of the cotton plantations in this area in the 20’s. We really don’t have much poultry being produced here and what there is I can tell you is iffy when it comes to eggs and unwelcome bacteria… :D I can drive to Elberta where there’s a cluster of producers or just do without (usually) but I try to ere on the safe side.  Old time foods are dying but there are still enough of us around who remember them to keep them alive. I still recall the Milkman delivering Honolulu Foremost Dairy Milk to our door and an antique crate is what I used for my son to stand on while he learned to BBQ years ago when he was just 8 or 9… :D Little Sucka BBQ’s pretty good nowdays… :D

Best Regards

Haru

• March 13, 2017 at 9:38 am

Haru,

Interesting about the food industry in your part of Alabama.

If you remember getting milk delivered to your door, you must remember POG milk caps. That became a huge craze here back in the 90s, when all kinds of businesses were promoting themselves printing their logos on POG milk caps and giving them away.

Glad to hear your son is a BBQ master. More time for dad to chill while son does the grilllin’! You should have him try my make Uncle Jack’s Smoke Pork! Winnahz!

• March 15, 2017 at 11:57 am

I DO remember the POGs in the 90’s – I was stationed there in during that time (Lived at Hickam – worked up in Wahiawa counter traffic so it was a GREAT commute in the morning and afternoon except for that stretch by the Stadium… :D) Used to collect them for my son. I think he still has a few… My milkman recollections are a LOT earlier – back in the mid – late 60’s – clink clink clink at 4:30 in the mornings…

Milk was kinda strange to my sister and I at first since we had spent our earliest years in rural Japan where they simply didn’t have the fresh stuff available. Got to like it REAL quick though… The butter and cream too (my mother would get mad because I used too much of it). I think you have a future in the Japanese space character costume business :D:D:D

I’ll have Toshi give that recipe a try – he’s about to graduate Auburn and spend a couple of months at home before he goes on active duty with the USAF so he’ll have some time. Maybe he’ll get stationed there and I’ll have free digs when I visit (I can be paki too):D

By the way – didn’t you hear? BIRD FLU found in 3 Alabama chicken farms – Didn’t I TELL YA!

• March 15, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Haru,

No, haven’t heard about the Bird Flu at 3 Alabama Chicken Farms. Ever since the election, national news headlines gets so crowded with topics all about President 45, everything else going on in this nation seems unimportant. Surprised they’re actually making the “Noreast” storm headlines these past few days.

That must have been neat getting fresh milk delivered to the house. I believe they also did that with Coca Cola in glass bottles, correct? I know in Japan (Tokyo) they were doing the Coke in green glass bottles exchange program as far recent as the 70s and 80s when I used to frequently travel there. OMG, that was the BEST Coke! Speaking of Japan and milk,  during that same era, I also remember ordering milk in the Imperial Hotel coffee shop there, which was actually half and half. Was delicious!

Congrats’ on your son graduating from Auburn. Sounds like he’s following dad’s footsteps in the Air Force. My nephew served 6 years in the AF as an F-16 avionics tech. Now he’s working for a microchip company.

• March 18, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Ain’t THAT the truth! :D It’s depressing as heck and getting in the way of my right “for the pursuit of happiness” :D. Tennessee has gotten some cases this week as well… Bad Juju.

I miss those times –  things were just a lot more “ordinary” then. You didn’t have to worry about a fraction of the things you have to nowadays (especially as kids).

Speaking of delivery – we even had a ramen guy in Japan – he’d come along about 9 pm every night to our little neighborhood and everyone would go out to his trike (with a mini kitchen on the back) and bring their own bowls for the ramen… We’d slurp,talk, and then he’d pack up for his next stop…

We didn’t even have Coke then we were so far out. We had a traditional Japanese malted soft drink – they came in green bottles with little marble stoppers on top (they were in the bottle so you couldn’t shake them out…) – we’d have them delivered by the wooden crate and then they’d pick em up the next time around.

My Grandparents tried to get us to drink what passed for milk around those parts but it was so bad we wouldn’t touch it (they wouldn’t either :D). Guess that’s why I like half and half on my cereal to this day. Sounds like the Coke you liked was made with cane sugar (like Mexican Coke) most U.S. Coke is made w corn syrup and isn’t nearly as good.

I think your nephew and my son are going to be in the same line of work. Tosh is in computers too… It really surprised me that he decided to follow me into “the family business” but I’m a pretty proud Dad too!

Best Regards!

Haru

• March 12, 2017 at 4:17 pm

CWH regular size two selection lunch feeds me for 3 days.  Good value plus good food.  My favorite is the sweet sour fish with pineappple, peppers and onions.  Haven’t weighed one yet but got to be 4 lbs of food.

• March 13, 2017 at 9:28 am

Al, I agree, CWK gives huge portions.

• March 18, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Haru,

That’s pretty cool, a roving “Ramen Man”. Diner E, who grew up in the Kalihi area during the real “old school” days told me back then they had all kinds of roving food delivery men. Had the “Fish Man”, of course the “Manapua Man”, the “Milk Man”, the “Soda Man”.. the “Rice Man”. I forget, but there were a few more.

I’m curious what this Japanese malted soft drink is you’re talking about. Do they still sell it?

What does “Bad Juju” mean? What’s funny is, when I read the “Pidgin to da’ Max” book, there’s some really old school Pidgin or slang words I don’t even know, being they were probably used more commonly before my time. One old school Hawaiian word the new generation doesn’t use is “poho”, meaning “waste”.  Example, “Ah, look braddah Kimo, every time he only drink half da’ beer in da’ bottle. Poho, laddat.”

You know what’s interesting about milk and dairy in general in Japan, being it’s widely available there now, I notice the younger generation of Japanese are much taller, and the women aren’t “bow legged” like how they were commonly before. I notice the younger Japanese women also have bigger boobs now. Gotta’ be that extra calcium and protein they’re consuming in the dairy that’s helping. Or could it simply be genetic evolution? Who knows, but they’re lookin’ good! ;-)

• March 21, 2017 at 12:04 pm

I think this is is it. Back when it came in a very dark green bottle and you had to move the marble around with your tongue while you drank it or the flow would cut off. Don’t really remember what flavor it was but it was good! :D

Yeah, there used to be all kinds of guys selling stuff passing through that old neighborhood.

There were a couple when we lived on Spencer St. too. I remember (besides the milkman), the guy selling dried and preserved fish salted and in miso and that type of thing (lots of Japanese in the area) out of his old jeep, the fruit guy, and of course the ice cream and soda man.

“Bad Juju” just means “Bad Medicine” or “not good” – “very  bad” etc. It was popular among the WWII vet crowd. I think it’s pidgin but from way out in the WestPac where they fought the war. Still hear it among the oldest crowd at the VFW. Seems like a lot of the younger generation don’t think it’s anything to “poho” stuff so I guess they don’t get it… :D

The extra protein the Japanese are consuming nowadays – mostly meat – is responsible for the major size difference between pre-war and post war Japanese. Really made a difference. My Japanese family in the 60’s was tiny. My Okasan said they ate mostly rice, eggs, miso, ocha, and tsukemono when she was growing up supplanted by fish my Grandfather Gosaburo would catch in the reservoir behind their house. She told me that it wasn’t until after the war (when they almost starved) that she really recalls eating any meat besides chicken once in a while.

Compare that to my Brother in Law Michio who’s my age – He’s 6 feet tall! His parents are tiny though… Go figure. They must feed em good at Todai… :D I AM amazed at the uhhhh.. HEALTHYNESS of Japanese girls nowadays – they really ARE looking good! :D:D:D

Best Regards.