My wife would make this every Christmas as an appetizer served with Ritz Crackers on the side. Take a small cheese knife spreader and take a bit of ham ball on knife, spread it on cracker and devour.
You’ll need two different sized bowls; one to mix in and one to mold the ham ball (a 3 cup; 750 ml works very well as a mold), cling wrap and a meat grinder or food processor (pulse to chop ham) or sharp knife to chop up the ham, electric hand mixer to make cream cheese frosting and a box grater to grate onion or finely dice plus cutting board.
My wife would use leftover ham from Thanksgiving and add canned pressed ham to bulk up the recipe so there were two textures to the ham. You can also double the ingredients to make a larger ball.
- 1/2 lb. cooked ham, ground or finely chopped
- 1/3 c. raisins
- 1 tbsp. grated onion
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise (Hellman’s or Best Foods)
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese soften or brought to room temp and halved
- 1 tbsp. milk
- Fresh chopped parsley or dried
- Mix ham, raisins, onions, curry powder, ½ cream cheese and mayonnaise in large bowl.
- Line small bowl with cling wrap allowing some to fold over edge and fill bowl with ham mixture; bring extra cling wrap over to fill center of bowl so you can press down to form half a ball; chill overnight.
- Mix other ½ cream cheese with milk until smooth.
- Take out your serving plate and unmold your ham ball so flat side is on plate.
- Spread cream cheese frosting on ham ball to cover, sprinkle with parsley and chill until serving time.
- Surround frosted ham ball with Ritz Crackers; provide a spreader knife and serve.
Makes about 2 cups.