Prince Court Reopens as 100 Sails Restaurant & Bar

Today, November 21, 2016, will be the grand opening of 100 Sails Restaurant & Bar, occupying the 3rd floor space that was formerly the Prince Court Restaurant in the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki and Golf Club.

Chef de Cuisine Joseph Almoguera
Chef de Cuisine Joseph Almoguera

Under the guidance of Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki Executive Chef Kirby Wong, newly appointed Chef de Cuisine Joseph Almoguera will be the captain at the helm of 100 Sails’ culinary crew.

Loyal Prince Court patrons can rest assured that the same expansive “just like Vegas” buffet will still be offered, with the usual favorites such as prime rib and crab legs. However the new concept for 100 Sails will also introduce an all new, more diverse ala carte and “small bites” menu that gives further refinement and attention to detail to those dishes, with a focus on fresh, locally-sourced ingredients and outstanding presentation.

With the new full service bar as its centerpiece, and of course picturesque window views spanning Waikiki, Ala Wai Boat Harbor and Magic Island flanking Ala Moana Beach, 100 Sails accommodates up to 300 guests in the main dining room, and 16 in the private dining room.

My cousin Stacey who works for the Hawaii Prince had the honor of attending a private preview dinner at 100 Sails this past weekend before opening, and shared photos from that event on her Facebook page, which she was so kind to allow me to share with you. Enjoy. :-)

Corner of the new bar, facing the surrounding dining area

Window seating overlooking Ala Wai Boat Harbor

100 Sails new centerpiece bar

100 Sails new centerpiece bar

100 Sails new centerpiece bar

Entrance waiting area seating

Cocktail seating

100 Sails Restaurant & Bar Ala Carte Menu

AHI POKE: Sashimi grade ahi, Ewa sweet onions, scallions, ogo, Hawaiian chili peppers, shoyu, Alae salt. Market price

DUCK LUMPIA: Kalua duck, long rice, basil, cilantro, island vegetables, orange chili sauce. $8

SECRET RENDEZVOUS: House made decanter cocktail features Broadbent “Rainwater” Madeira, Evan Williams Black Label Bourbon and Giffard Banana du Brasil, strained up with a dash of pomegranate reduction. $12

ROASTED BEET SALAD: Roasted red and golden beets, goat cheese, Waimanalo baby greens, candied mac nuts, calamansi vinaigrette. $12

UNI CARBONARA: Squid ink pasta, uni carbonara sauce, ikura, micro shiso. $11

GARDEN SALAD: Waimanalo baby greens, heirloom cherry tomatoes, hearts of palm, cucumbers, shaved carrots. $10

SASHIMI: Fresh local selection fish, daikon, shoyu, wasabi. Market price

TAKO TACO: Grilled octopus, crispy won ton, soy reduction, tobiko. $9

POKE TEMPURA: Sashimi grade ahi, Ewa sweet onions, scallions, ogo, Hawaiian chili peppers, shoyu, alaea salt, nori, balsamic poi reduction. $9

KIMCHI FRIED RICE: Locally grown vegetables, kimchi, jasmine rice, sunny side up egg. $12

DA ALA MO-JITO: 100 Sails’ Signature Coconut Mojito with Don Q Cristal, Craft Coconut Cream with island fresh mint and lime juice, served on the rocks. $12

CATCH OF THE DAY: Chef’s daily creation of fresh auction fish. Market price

CATCH OF THE DAY: Chef’s daily creation of fresh auction fish. Market price

WAGYU BURGER: Wagyu beef patty, caramelized Ewa sweet onions, brie cheese, Kamuela tomatoes, butter lettuce, truffle fries. $25

BIG ISLAND RIB EYE: Grass-fed Big Island beef, locally grown vegetables, truffle fries, tamarind steak sauce. $42

HAWAIIAN BOUILLABAISSE: Big Island abalone, Kona cold lobster, Kauai shrimp, fresh catch, shimeji mushrooms, baby bok choy, lemongrass broth. $16

PRINCE SHAVE ICE: Rose syrup, maple syrup, azuki beans, fruit pearls, condensed milk, vanilla ice cream, fresh fruit. $9

MUD PIE: Toasted coconut ice cream, chocolate banana ice cream, coffee ice cream, Oreo crust. $11

PASSION FRUIT CRÈME BRÛLÉE. $10

100 Sails Restaurant & Bar
(formerly Prince Court Restaurant)
Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki & Golf Club
100 Holomoana St.
Honolulu, Hawaii  96815

Tel. (808) 944-4494

Web: Our Dining Evolution – PrinceResortsHawaii.com (complete menu available here)

Breakfast daily, 6-10:30 a.m.; Lunch Monday-Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.; Dinner daily, 5:30-9:30 p.m.; Sunday brunch, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.; Bar and lounge: Sunday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday, 6 a.m.-11 p.m.

Related links:
All Aboard for a New Dining Experience – Honolulu Star Advertiser / Dining Out
New Restaurant coming to Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki & Golf Club – Pacific Business News

17 thoughts on “Prince Court Reopens as 100 Sails Restaurant & Bar

• November 21, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Thought I was the only one who kalua’ed duck. Wrap in Ti leaf, Banana stalk or celery stalk, put heavy foil all around.Put in pan,.  Smoke in Weber for 2-2.5 hours. Because this is a long, hot smoke, I recommend apple, cherry or other mild smoking wood. Hickory only if that is all available. Kiawe will be too intense.  Forget a gravy here. A classic fruit sauce works. Orange or Cherry.

This is food for fancy dinner. Asparagus and mash potato also maybe. Perhaps Taro O’Brien (boiled and cooled taro recooked just like potatoes O’Brien in butter.

• November 22, 2016 at 4:24 pm

pat,

Never heard of using celery stalks to kalua meats. What flavor does that impart? Or is that strictly for keeping the duck meat moist? Not a duck fan, nor have I ever tried Kalua Duck.

I still want to blog a comparison of making Kalua Pig using Ti leaves vs. Banana leaves.

“Taro O’Brien” sounds interesting! I definitely love homestyle breakfast fries (a.k.a. potatoes), which The Shack Hawaii Kai has a pretty good one served on NFL Sundays.

• November 23, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Strictly for moisture. You throw it away.

• November 22, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Where have I been?  I didn’t know Prince Court had closed.  100 Sails looks interesting, thanks for the pictures.

• November 23, 2016 at 6:05 am

Thanks for this post, Pomai.  I worked at the Prince when it first opened.  Actually, we started 3 months before it opened.  I was a pool girl, yup, worked at the restaurant/bar out by the pool.  We had to know everything about the hotel, menus, etc. prior to opening and because it was non-union, we could work in any of the restaurants banquets that needed help.  We had some fun times working there.

I’ve been away so long.  It’s awesome to see places I have worked or people I know on your site!

• November 24, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Shevon,

So funny you said “pool girl”. All this time I thought you were a guy. lol  It is interesting that Hawaii Prince is non-union. I’m sure Local 5 is still trying to get in there. Interestingly the worker morale there seems pretty good. I’ve only had good experiences with their staff at all the events I’ve attended there.

They’re currently working on opening a high end Japanese “chain” sushi restaurant in the lobby area.

• December 4, 2016 at 6:35 pm

That is too funny.  I do get things addressed as Mr. sometimes, but rarely.  Shevon is an Irish name which is spelled Siobhan and pronounced Shi-vaughn.  My mom spelled it phonetically and to match my maiden name.

We had a blast working at the Prince.  We all got along really well and went out every night together, partied too much, and once in a while went straight to work without sleeping.  Good times.

• December 4, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Shi-vaughn,

So I’m guessing you’re half Irish, half Japanese? Or something to that effect, based on your interests here. Interesting how Siobhan becomes “Shevon”, however I see the correlation.

Try having a Hawaiian first name as your mailing address, which for me is Pomaka’i (my real Hawaiian name). In the past, I’ve had (physical) junk mail delivered to me addressed as “Ms. Pomika”, to “Pumakao”, to “Mr. Pomaik” For realz! I’m like, “WTH?” Straight to the shredder.

• December 6, 2016 at 7:00 am

I’m 1/2 Okinawan, 1/4 Japanese, 1/8 Irish, 1/8 Scottish to be exact.  My mom is Okinawan.  My dad is hapa.  My grandfather was a Marine from Ohio and married my contrary, do-opposite-of-what-anyone-tells-me Japanese grandmother.  Yes, it was not well received since this was around 1945-ish.  For my dad’s generation, there were not many hapa kids.

My husband is a non-Spanish speaking Mexican.  So my kids are all mixed up.  My daughter has the middle name Ke’alohilani and my youngest has the middle name Jinko (after my grandfather)  Pretty funny when people see their middle names here in Illinois.  We find it entertaining.

• December 7, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Shevon,

My niece (one of several) is half Okinawan from the dad (of course). So funny, she always says she’s “Japanese”, and I always have to correct her, “No, you’re OKINAWAN!”. Half Japanese/Okinawan and Haole is usually a beautiful mixture (well, half-half “hapa” of any 2 races usually are!). I could imagine your kids with even further mixture from their dad’s side. They must very good looking!

So who was it harder for from a family’s acceptance perspective? Your American grandfather’s side, or your Japanese grandmother’s side? From what I recall now that you mention around the end of WWII era, either way it would have been difficult due to the animosity of the war at the time.

Speaking of which, there’s a big parade happening this evening in Waikiki for the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor. All the remaining veterans still alive today (the oldest one over 100) who were there during the bombing of Pearl Harbor are here to pay what may be their last respects to that. It’s very emotional!

• December 15, 2016 at 6:38 am

Pomai, this reply may be in a strange order since your last comment did not have a reply arrow.  Anyway, if I do say so myself, my kids are all beautiful.  My oldest son modeled when we lived back in Hawaii.  This was a long time ago when he was little.  He did an add for a mall on Maui, store ads, and some other print work for brochures, etc.  I wasn’t a stage mom, we just went when the agent called and someone saw his pictures and wanted to use him. It was pretty easy.  My middle daughter is a senior in HS and I get stopped by strangers all the time to tell me how pretty she is.  I think it’s because here they don’t see too many chop suey kids.  My youngest is a cutie, but right now he’s in the awkward tween phase.

I think it was more difficult for my Japanese grandma’s side of the family because they were in Hawaii.  The marriage only lasted about 6 years and then my grandma married my Japanese step grandfather.  My grandfather went back to Ohio.

I am just thankful for all of them or I wouldn’t be here.  I saw some of the Pearl Harbor 75th anniversary remembrances on tv.  On the Okinawan side, my uncle was in the 442nd/100th Battalion, so growing up we always knew the men that served and most of them were missing limbs, fingers, etc.  I am so proud of what they all did to show their loyalty to the US.  If you have never seen them, there is a site goforbroke.org that has oral histories from these men talking about growing up and the war and their service.  Very interesting.  It is under “learn”, “Hanashi Oral History Archives”.  Time consuming to watch but so interesting.  My great uncle is Martin Tohara.

• December 4, 2016 at 1:48 am

do you still have a dinner buffet and what’s the price?

• December 4, 2016 at 11:30 am

pono,

Yes, like its previous incarnation as Prince Court, 100 Sails still serves breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet daily and Sunday Brunch buffet. The price for dinner is $58 for adults, which isn’t bad considering the huge selection and all-you-can-eat. Not as cheap as Vegas, but hey, they don’t have a casino to offset costs. ;-)

100 SAILS DINNER MENU
    Carrot Cake
    $58 adult / $29 children (ages 6 – 12 years), excluding tax and gratuity
    PLEASE CALL (808) 944-4494 FOR MORE INFORMATION AND RESERVATIONS

See 100 Sails’ entire menu at this link:

Our Dining Evolution

• December 12, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Have you experienced any of the buffets?  What spam musubi rating would you give it?

• December 14, 2016 at 5:21 am

Kerri,

No I haven’t. I’ll try do that by this holiday season.

• December 17, 2016 at 7:23 am

Shevon,

I’ll bet your kids are as attractive as you say, thanks to that exotic mixture. Wow, your grand parents’ ‘hapa” marriage only lasted 6 years, all because of family and social pressure due to the war. Heavy stuff.  I’ll definitely check out the Hanashi Oral History Archives and keep an eye out for your great uncle Martin Tohara.

Except for my dad (he was still in high school), all his older brothers were drafted and served in WWII, one of which died in action (jeep accident in Manila, PI). My uncle Warren Von Arnswaldt was in flight crew with a B-29 squadron (same plane as the Enola Gay), albeit after the war ended. As much as I love military aviation (as you can tell), for some reason I didn’t choose going into the military, however in retrospect, I wish I had, mainly to give me that much more of a worldly view.

• December 27, 2016 at 7:07 am

Well, my grandparents marriage ended for a plethora of reasons, the family pressure being only one of them.  I ended up marrying a Marine and moving to Illinois where he is from, so the saga continues!  I do love it here and being able to drive to different states.  I miss my family and friends back home, but feel out of place when I go back now.  I have been gone so long that so much has changed.  The traffic is horrible, the homeless situation is sad, and it is just so different from when I was a kid.  Manoa Valley, where I grew up, has changed, but not as much as other areas.  We talk about moving back when we retire, but I am not 100% certain that I want to do that anymore.  It’ll depend where my kids decide to settle.