KCC Farmers Market: ‘Ulu Hummus

Back again yesterday morning at one of my all-time favorite places to shop for groceries, the Kapiolani Community College Farmers Market, where a new vendor shows up as usual, this time serving up ‘Ulu Hummus by ‘Ulu Mana Co. (d.b.a. Mauna Kea Tea). Oh yeah, baby, THAT’S what I’m talkin’ ’bout!

All you health food “nerds” who read this blog and shake your head at all the gastronomic debauchery that goes on here usually, are probably smiling right now, thinking, “Finally Pomai gets it”. Dude, I get it, trust me. I’m just as much a health food “nerd” as you are. I just like fun foodie things too. Which, hey, this looks and sounds like a fun new food find!

That all being said, first of all, what is ‘Ulu? Well, it’s also known as Breadfruit, and is very popular, especially in Samoa, being used in a variety of ways, primarily as a starch, similar to how Taro is to Hawaiians in the form of Poi and such.

As ‘Ulu Mana Company’s sign reads, the virtues of ‘Ulu Hummus are many:

• Hawaiian-grown ‘Ulu (Breadfruit)
  • Gluten-Free
  • Non-GMO
  • Paleo
  • Vegan
  • High in Protein, Vitamin C and Potassium
  • Low-Moderate Glycemic Rating
  • All Natural Ingredients (no preservatives)
  • Supports Local Farmers
  • 100% Delicious

From left to right of the first three of six varieties, we have ($7/16 oz. container; any 3 for $20):

• ‘ULU HUMMUS with SUN-DRIED TOMATOES: Hawaiian-grown ‘Ulu, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Hawaiian Sea Salt, Tahini, Water, Garlic and Cumin
  • ‘ULU HUMMUS with KABOCHA: Hawaiian-grown ‘Ulu, Kabocha (Japanese Pumpkin), Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Hawaiian Sea Salt, Tahini, Cinnamon, Water, Garlic and Cumin
  • ‘ULU HUMMUS with BEETS: Hawaiian-grown ‘Ulu, Beets, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Hawaiian Sea Salt, Tahini, Water, Garlic and Cumin

From left to right of the second three of six varieties, we have ($7/16 oz. container; any 3 for $20):

• ORIGINAL ‘ULU HUMMUS with TURMERIC: Hawaiian-grown ‘Ulu, Hawaiian Sea Salt, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Turmeric Powder, Tahini, Water, Garlic, Cumin and Paprika
  • ‘ULU HUMMUS with SWEET POTATO: Hawaiian-grown ‘Ulu, Okinawan Sweet Potato, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Hawaiian Sea Salt, Tahini, Water, Garlic and Cumin
  • ‘ULU HUMMUS with HAWAIIAN CHILI PEPPER: Hawaiian-grown ‘Ulu, Hawaiian Chili Peppers, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Hawaiian Sea Salt, Tahini, Water, Turmeric, Garlic and Cumin

And? I tried these two flavors shown right above, being the ‘Ulu Hummus with Okinawan Sweet Potato and ‘Ulu Hummus with Hawaiian Chili Pepper, and they both were BOMB DOT COM! OMG!!!! So, so, so ONO!!!! Dude, I swear, if someone served you this, you’d swear it was traditional Hummus made with Garbanzo Beans, not breadfruit. It’s so convincing of being the “real deal”, yet, IMO, better!

The Okinawan Sweet Potato ‘Ulu Hummus and Hawaiian Chili Pepper ‘Ulu Hummus both have just the right level of its advertised flavors to convince you what it is, yet not overpower the Tahini and Cumin in it, so you know it’s Hummus at its core.

I actually didn’t buy any on this initial sample tasting, however if they return next week, I’ll get one to try with various chips, and maybe in a Pita sandwich. Which is my only gripe here, being they’re $7 each for a relatively small 16 oz. tub, or $20 for any three. I think they should be around $5 each, and no more than that. Otherwise, this here ‘Ulu Hummus is in it to win it!

WHAT? ‘ULU HUMMUS
Who makes it? This huge Samoan dude named Abdulah Fata’ai. Nah, just kidding. lol ‘Ulu Mana Co., d.b.a. Mauna Kea Tea
Where can I buy it and how much does it cost? KCC Farmers Market; $7/16 oz. container; any 3 for $20
Big Shaka to: Both broke da’ mout’ ono ‘kine winnahz and super healthy! Tastes pretty much just like a Garbanzo Bean-based Hummus. Flavorings (i.e. Okinawan Sweet Potato and Hawaiian Chili Pepper) are well balanced, without overpowering it being Hummus (it still tastes like Hummus, not vice-versa). Nice gritty-creamy texture and perfect thickness for dipping.
No shaka to: Relatively pricey at $7 per 16 oz. container
The Tasty Island rating: 4 Ume Musubi (1 Musubi subtracted because of high price)

The Tasty Island related links:

ULU POI

Taro Delight Smoked Taro Dip

Stonemill Kitchens Spinach & Artichoke Dip

Aunty Nalani Kele’s Clam Dip Recipe

ShAloha

P.S. One of the good things about living in Hawaii…

Diamond Head Beach – 11.06.16

Diamond Head Beach – 11.06.16

Diamond Head Beach – 11.06.16

8 thoughts on “KCC Farmers Market: ‘Ulu Hummus

• November 6, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Pomai.

I got turned on to Sabra Hummus and pretzel bites for dipping. Great combination especially I think a beer. I’Lloyd have to check this Hummus out.

• November 6, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Ken,

Nah, I don’t care for the Sabra Hummus brand (the particular flavor Costco carries). It tastes really processed to me, and the seasonings are too strong. Also, check out the sodium content, at 128mg/2 tbsp. serving. Not that it would “bust your bubble” but hey, worth mentioning, Mr. “Sodium Cop”. lol However I will give Sabra (c/o Costco) kudos for price.

As linked above, you gotta’ check out ShAloha, a Jewish (non-Kosher) sandwich shop in Kaimuki, which I believe I told you about before. Dude, you gotta’ try their house-made hummus with their deep-fried house-made Pita Chips that are seasoned with “Zataar”, a common Middle Eastern seasoning blend. Talk about “Bomb Dot Com”! While there, make sure to try one of their incredible Pita Bread Sandwiches. More “Bomb Dot Com’ness”! If he’s there, tell the owner Mor Pomai sent you and he might hook you up!

ShAloha owner Mor, Yelp Community Manager Emi Hart and Pomai @Yelpapalooza @ Hawaiian Brian’s

• November 6, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I buy my hummus at Foodland, Kapolei s they have at least 15 different flavors across 4 brands. I don’t know which Sabra you tried but I like Roasted Garlic (130 mg sodium) and also Roasted Pine Nut (130 MG sodium). My visiting friends from mainland got me interested by serving the hummus with pretzel bites and beer while sitting on rear house lanai watching leeward side sunsets.

• November 7, 2016 at 5:36 am

I find Sabra to be too salty as well. Especially the pine nut one (well, all the toppings are super salty). Maybe it’s just the toppings that make it too salty, I don’t know. I do like Cedar’s brand plain (the garlic is ok too) and Whole Foods’ house brand. I wish I liked Sabra because they are so ubiquitous, but I don’t.

• November 6, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Love the Frank Delima joke in there lol

• November 7, 2016 at 1:51 pm

@ James – Ha! Glad you took notice to that.  Don’t forget his side kicks, “Mo’ Fah”, “Mo’ Ne’ah” and “Mo’ In Between”. lol

@ h – I think you’re right, it’s the seasoning they have that’s topping it that makes the Sabra brand taste overpowering  (IIRC, it was either the Roasted Red Pepper or Roasted Garlic flavor). It’s still a decent hummus and great value (in Costco), but after a few bites, I’m “Hummus’d out” already, because it’s so intense. Whereas the all-natural Hummus, like say the one at ShAloha, I can eat a whole tub’s worth.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the Cedar and Whole Foods brand next time I go there. Which BTW, we’ll be getting a new Whole Foods closer to my home in Ward Village. Currently we have Whole Foods in Kahala (east Oahu) and Kailua (windward Oahu). We also have a local competitor to Whole Foods called Down to Earth, carrying similar organic and other healthy/upscale groceries. Those two stores are usually where you can find products such as this ‘Ulu Hummus for retail sale.

@ Ken – Never tried Hummus with Preztels, but it sounds good. I do prefer Clam Dip with Pretzels, finding it compliments the clam-infused cream cheese flavor even better than with Ruffles Potato Chips, my usual go-to dip chip of choice.

Speaking of which, if you’re an ice cream fan, try “dipping” thick-cut kettle style potato chips (just plain salt, not the flavored type) in slightly softened (tempered) Vanilla Ice Cream. Dude, it’s surprisingly really ono! Earthy, salty, vanilla-sweet, rich and creamy all blend together perfectly! I learned that from the owner of Maui Potato Chip Factory. Winnahz!

• November 14, 2016 at 10:12 am

lol – I really should have said “hi” when I saw you in Don Quijote, because I seemed to have been stopping at the same places you were at during my 2 weeks on the island (Don Quijote, KCC Farmer’s market and Waikiki on Halloween).  I tried the Ulu hummus and thought the same thing – that if it were a little bit cheaper, I’d have bought a container.  I liked the sun dried tomato flavor because it was closer to the traditional hummus but thought the sweet potato one was just too sweet.

• November 15, 2016 at 10:31 am

Jody,

Hmm, I didn’t think the Sweet Potato Hummus was too sweet, however then again, my sample on that popsicle stick was kinda’ small. This past Saturday I met the owner of the “company” that makes it, who’s name is Loren (a guy). He told me the “company” really doesn’t exist yet. He just named it that for immediate marketing. He owns a commercial kitchen where he personally hand-makes it. He also runs the Deep Hawaii Shrimp company that also operates at the KCC Farmers Market, just a few booths down.

But yeah, the price needs to be more reasonable for the quantity offered. No more than $5 each.