Canned Corned Beef

Ox & Palm canned Corned Beef and Cabbage (with Onions and Shoyu)

Hot off the heels from a few posts ago about Beanee Weenee, a childhood classic popular in the Southern US, we revisit another meat-in-a-can classic, the infamous canned Corned Beef.

Which I don’t know about how you ate it growing up, but in my household, it was usually sauteed with cabbage, known as advertised as Corned Beef & Cabbage as shown above.

This of course different than the REAL Corned Beef and Cabbage made with brined uncooked brisket which needs to be boiled with potatoes, carrots and seasoning that you normally eat with yellow mustard on and around St. Patrick’s Day.

While growing up, I remember only eating the made in Brazil Libby, Mcneill & Libby’s brand canned Corned Beef with the red and black label, which came with that funky screw key stuck to it that you need to use to open the odd-shaped tapered rectangular can. Speaking of which, I also remember once or twice breaking the metal twist tab ring while trying to open the can with that key, then somewhat frustrated, just giving up and putting the half-opened can in the refrigerator. It’s like “Eh, screw this.” lol

Reason I thought this would be an interesting topic, isn’t just the nostalgia of it, but also the vast varieties now available at the local supermarket. In my case as you regulars here know for me is Don Quijote Kaheka, where they now carry several other brands besides Libby’s Corned Beef, including a variety of flavors by Palm, the popular brand from New Zealand, Ox & Palm, Globe, Crown Brand and Pacific, all from Australia, and Argentina Brand Corned Beef.

Yet wow. With that much to choose, looks like corned beef is as popular in South America and “down under” in the Pacific, as pork luncheon meat is here centrally in Hawaii and Guam.

Apparently canned corned beef is also popular in the South Pacific islands, including Micronesia and Fiji, as I first learned about this while visiting Fiji Market out in Kahuku not that long ago. There, along with Micronesia Mart on Kapiolani Boulevard, you’ll also find most of these corned beef varieties from Australia and New Zealand. Which makes sense, being those countries are close in geographical proximity to those South Pacific islands.

That said, while I didn’t ask the manager, I assume Don Quijote just started bringing in these products for that customer demo’, as this is something relatively new there. Before they mainly carried either Libby’s or Palm (only the regular corned beef), and that’s it.

As you see on the shelf at Don Quijote in the photo above, there’s four different Corned Beef flavors by Palm brand out of New Zealand: Chili, Onion, Barbecue and Garlic.

On this next shelf section, notice there’s Globe brand Corned Mutton, also from Australia, which in case you don’t know, is a unique hybrid breed of Crocodile and Kangaroo. Nah, just kidding. lol

Mutton is a castrated male or female sheep on the older side, whereas there’s lamb, which is a young sheep, similar to what a calf is to a cow. While I haven’t tried Corned Mutton, if it’s anything like “SITA” (coming up shortly), I’d say it has a somewhat gamey lamb flavor due in part to its high fat content.

I personally have never seen either the Pacific or Argentina Brand “Corned Beef in Sauce” before, nor the Crown Brand in the next photo.  New to me.

Gotta say, at almost $10 a can, that better be the best dang canned Corned Beef & Cabbage I ever ate! It better taste like “Corned Kobe Beef”!

Now “SITA” as shown in the photo above is known as “Camp Luncheon Loaf” or pie, made with a combination corned mutton and beef lips and tongue, along with some other fillers, hence it’s the corned “meat” version of pork-based luncheon meat such as SPAM. Those “parts” and fillers are what makes “SITA” much cheaper than its 100% corned beef canned cousins next to it. You can check out my full review, including how that got turned into a “SITA Musubi” here. Oh, and be afraid if you go there. Very afraid. lol

Ox & Palm Corned Beef 11.5 oz. can (Product of Australia): Nutritional Facts label

Speaking of afraid, like most canned meats, the nutritional values in a typical can of corned beef are going to raise some eyebrows. Looking at the Nutritional Facts of an 11.5 oz. can of Ox & Palm Corned Beef (product of Australia by H.J. Heinz), a 2 oz. serving hits you with 150 calories, with 110 fat calories, 11 grams total fat, 5g saturated fat, 36mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 0g fiber and sugar, 11g protein, along with 6% DV of iron.

The ingredients are: Beef, Water, Salt & Sodium Nitrite.

300mg sodium for a 2 oz. serving isn’t as bad as I thought it’d be, considering how salty it tastes, but ouch, no fiber. Good thing we eat it with cabbage and onions to make up for it.

Ox & Palm Canned Corned Beef and Cabbage (with Onions and Shoyu)

So yeah, canned corned beef and cabbage is how I grew up eating the stuff, and occasionally still do today. It’s good grindz if you have “da’ ono’s” for it, or if that’s all you have left in your pantry and fridge to eat since the last grocery run.

While I honestly can’t remember how my grandmother exactly made canned corned beef and cabbage for us (never hung out in the kitchen when I was young), the way I make it now is simply by sauteing onions first until they’re slightly softened. Then I add the canned corned beef and saute that to loosen and heat it up, but not let it get crispy by any means. I then add some shoyu for added “kick”, then finally the rough chopped cabbage until it’s just around al dente, still with some crunch to it. While doing that, I’ll drizzle water in the pan to help steam the cabbage as it cooks, while that also creates some “gravy” as the water mixes with the juices from the corned beef and onion-infused shoyu, which is great for flavoring the rice it will eventually be piled on to.

For me, one of the best things to eat with Corned Beef and Cabbage other than rice is, yup, Poi my boy! Oh yeah! Da’ bes’es’est! The salty, flavor-packed corned beef when combined with the neutral, starchy taro flavor of da’ poi is supah ono! In fact, my mom used to sometimes eat the corned beef COLD, all congealed and all, straight out of the can with poi. I thought that was kinda’ gross, but she loved it!

That said, Mom used to always remind us about da’ hard times, when she and my dad were young and struggling while living in a small house in Waikiki, when my mom was the bread winner working in the airline industry (HAL) while putting my dad through college, corned beef was one of their favorite go-to foods, which was all they could afford at the time. That, with rice and/or poi was breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. And Vienna Sausage, Pork and Beans and all the other canned meats us Hawaii folks love. So whenever we ate corned beef, there was this sense of appreciation about it, as sort of a “fuel for success” if you will.

While I don’t remember my grandmother making it, I do like Corned Beef Hash, especially the Okazuya style when it’s made from scratch with potatoes, not the one prefab’ in the can. Diner E once made a Corned Beef Hash Musubi, which was quite genius in build, and supah ono! I loved it!

One dish I never tried is Samoan Palusami, either the traditional version with just coconut milk and onion, or Palusami with Corned Beef; both of which sounds intriguing.

As for brand preference, like I said, I grew up with the classic Libby, McNeill & Libby’s brand Corned Beef in the black can, and only later when New Zealand’s Palm Corned Beef came around in stores, started preferring that, which is definitely a superior product, IMO. I have yet to try the other canned corned beef products as shown above, which I’ll review here in the future, starting most likely with the Palm brand Onion and/or Garlic Corned Beef.

What memories of canned corned beef do you have while growing up? How did you and your folks eat it? If you still do, how do you prepare it now? Any particular brand you prefer?

The Tasty Island related links:

SITA Musubi

Product Review: Beanee Weenee

Tulip vs. TREET vs. SPAM Musubi Showdown!

SPAM® Spread on Rice and Crackers

Fried Dace with Salted Black Beans

33 thoughts on “Canned Corned Beef

• October 5, 2016 at 1:12 am

Pomai,  I understood why parents like canned cornbeef with onion?  I prefer to

make sandwiches with mayo and pickle relish .

• October 5, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Growing up in New England my mother used Libby’s corned beef and would cut slabs and make sandwiches with Hellman”s mayonnaise.

You should take a look at canned meat spreads.

• October 5, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Ken,

Um, no thanks. Never been a fan of canned meat spreads such as Deviled Ham. Nor was meat spreads a regular staple in our pantry.

The canned meats we typically had in the household I grew in was Corned Beef, Vienna Sausage, SPAM, Tuna (duh), Sardines in Oil, and for my mom, Chinese Fried Dace with Black Beans, and that’s it. None of us were into meat spreads as far as I recall. Definitely not me! Not into eating “cat food”. lol

I’ll definitely try making a Reuben sandwich with canned corned beef, with my favorite bread for it, dark rye.

Pomai’s Backyard Kiawe-smoked Pastrami, using brine-packed corned beef brisket

I once made my own smoked pastrami using corned beef brisket (the St. Paddy’s day stuff). So I wonder if I add liquid smoke to canned corned beef, whether I could get a “passable” canned version of smoked pastrami for making a Pastrami Reuben sandwich? How you figgah?

I  think it might also need ground coriander and black pepper seeds added to bring out that distinctive Pastrami flavor out of the canned corned beef, along with that liquid smoke.

Homemade Kiawe-smoked Pastrami Reuben

• October 5, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Ha! Cat Food!!!! Actually some of that so called cat food is excellent mixed with a little mayo and relish and spread on crackers or made into a quick sandwich. As a kid I loved liverwurst sandwiches, mayo and bib lettuce. Underwood is the brand and they make deviled ham, liverwurst, chicken, roast beef and corned beef spreads.

As a matter of fact you have German blood in you so you should like liverwurst and by the way Boars Head (Foodland Farms) makes a mighty fine chub of liverwurst great for spreading on crackers with a swipe of mayo. I also like sardines on crackers with a swipe of mayo.

Boars Head also makes a  great German style sauerkraut packaged in a 1 lb. bag ($1.99 Foodland) with the Reuben sandwich recipe on it plus Boars Head Kosher Dill Pickles and spears have been voted best dill pickles by America’s Test Kitchen and Consumers Reports ($5.59; 26 fl oz (1 5/8 pt) jar in Foodland. Great taste and snap when you bite!

Something else you probably are not aware of is at Foodland they sell 1 lb tubs of Vietnamese pickled daikon and carrot (Do Chua) by BA LE Bakehouse Brands Inc. 888 N. Nimitz Hwy, Honolulu, HI.

• October 5, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Pomai, my Irish friends told me their family in Ireland do not eat corned

beef but canned ones on St. Patrick Day.  Can’t get it and guess the Aussie

are the lucky one to have.

• October 5, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Kelike,

Corned Beef and Cabbage is not an Irish meal but an Americanized folk lore of a meal and totally made up and not eaten in Ireland like Meat Balls and Spaghetti is an Americanized folk lore of a meal and totally made up as Italians do not make meat balls and spaghetti in Italy. American mainland has already bastardized Hawaiian cuisine by saying everything in Hawaii has pineapple and ham in it.

• October 5, 2016 at 5:54 pm

This was a food truck and local diner staple until the ’80s. Not only was this premium rice topping, exactly like you made it, but excellent camping fare at the beach after a day of diving, playing with the dogs, and drinking or in an old style hunting camp.

KC Drive In served this until they closed. Used to order it at the Kapiolani location. If my parents were going out to dinner, this is one of the choices left us, along with creamed tuna with rice, Spam with rice or chili. Never hamburger steak and fried onions with rice because that was my fathers favorite dinner.

• October 5, 2016 at 7:46 pm

@ pat ~ Interesting. Unless I just wasn’t looking for it, I’ve NEVER ever seen canned corned beef and cabbage as a main entree menu item in all my years hitting local diners, plate lunch joints and lunch wagons. NEVER. Like you said, until the 80s, which would be about when I started dining out on my own, so I must have missed that “era”. You’d think such an “economical” and easy-to-prepare dish would have carried on, but I guess not.

What the heck is “Creamed Tuna with Rice”? Is that basically Tuna and Mayo’ on rice? If so, my mom likes this spin on a popular Japanese dish, which is canned Salmon on steaming hot rice, with a generous dollop of Mayonnaise on that, along with Goma Seeds. Brah, so ono! Especially again, with poi!

@ Kelike ~ Regarding the Irish (in Ireland) and corned beef brisket (the St. Paddy’s Day style), Glad Ken covered that. Couldn’t have said it better. ;-)

@ Ken ~ OK, I’ll take your word for it. I’ll go buy a can of Fancy Feast canned cat food, mix it with some mayo’ and relish, then spread it on a Purina Dog Bone Biscuit. Wish me luck! lol

Speaking of which, I was just in Don Quijote today and checked their “potted meat” selection, and all they carried was the Underwood Deviled Ham product you mentioned, along with only one other “”potted meat spread” product. Guess which one? Yup, SPAM Spread. ACK!!!!!  Now THAT is what you call “cat food”!

Regarding Liverwurst, anything involving liver is a NO-GO for me. YUCK!!!!!! Couldn’t stand the stuff since a little boy, right on up to now. Never acquired a taste for anything that remotely tastes like liver, or “guts” for that matter. The farthest I’ll go besides these crazy canned “mystery meats”, is Dinuguan (Filipino pig’s blood stew) and “Hawaiian style” Tripe Stew, which as you know is a cow’s stomach lining. Other than than that, Offal is absolutely awful in my book.

Sardines on crackers with a swipe of mayo’ sounds interesting. I’ll give that one a try. That said, you must be familiar with pickled herring in cream sauce. I got turned on to this delicacy from a friend of my mom’s, and thought it was OUTSTANDING. Especially great eating with dill weed on it on a toasted baguette. Delish!

I’ll definitely pick-up some of that Boar’s Head dill pickles when I’m out of the big jar I still have.

BA’LE Cafe and Bakery sets up shop every Saturday morning at the KCC Farmers Market I’m a regular at, where they sell their Do Chua in a 16 oz. tub for $5. A bit overpriced if you ask me for what it is, however they do make it perfectly, and it lasts long enough to use it up (about 2 to 3 weeks refrigerated, max’).

• October 6, 2016 at 11:47 am

Hi Pomai,

Canned corned beef cabbage was commonly served as a free pupu at local bars.

Creamed tuna, at least how my mom made it was canned tuna in a cream sauce, sometimes incorporating cream of mushroom soup.  We usually ate it on rice, but it was really good poured over toasted white bread.

Getting off-topic here, but one of my favorites is Spam with won bok.  Just sauté until soft with salt and pepper to taste and a little shoyu.  Can also be done with watercress, mustard cabbage, or bok choy.  The liquid from the vegetables combined with the spam flavor makes it wonderful!

I don’t know if you guys ate cottage roll (Hormel or Swift’s Premium brand) growing up, but we had it a lot.  Very tasty (salty) with a lot of fat, but that meant you could really stretch it and get several economical meals out of it.  My favorite was diced cottage roll with lightly sautéed green beans (still crispy) with eggs scrambled into it.

• October 6, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Kyle. Ditto. Our parents must have gone to the same “feed the kids fast and cheap class”. Cottage roll, was mostly beach camping food. Went far. Another common one was julienned spam and string beans, stir fried in a bit of oil, bit of water and shoyu.

• October 6, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Pat,

The thing is, when I was a kid I guess I got a little tired of eating these kinds of dishes, but now that I’m older, these are the kinds of dishes I really like to eat.  My sisters say the same thing.  It’s not just nostalgia.  I really do like these kinds of dishes and that fact that it’s cheap food doesn’t bother me a bit.

• October 7, 2016 at 5:30 am

Kyle,

Google-ing up “Cottage Roll”, what came up was essentially a brined (salt-cured), very fatty pork butt. Which I thought was weird, as I was expecting it be some type of strange sausage. “Cottage Roll” is definitely something I never heard of (nor tried) before you mentioned it.

• October 7, 2016 at 8:50 am

It tastes kind of like ham with more concentrated flavor.  Occasionally my mom would just fry up slices, but usually it was the protein (and fat and flavoring) in a vegetable stir-fry sort of dish.

• October 7, 2016 at 10:31 am

Kyle,

By the looks and description of it (brined Pork Butt), that’s what I expected Cottage Roll to taste like. Not sure if this Maple Leaf “Sweet Pickled” Cottage Roll tastes like the Hormel or Swift’s Premium brand you remember. When there’s leftovers after Thanksgiving, I do like frying regular ham and eating just that with poi. Ono laddat!

I asked my mom if she ever heard of Cottage Roll, even showing her the photo, and nope, she never heard of it. And she grew up on the Big Island AND Oahu.

Maple Leaf Sweet Pickled Pork Cottage Roll

That said, unlike Kauai where it’s common, most folks who grew up on Oahu never heard of Goteborg Sausage, famous on Kauai for their Goteborg Musubi…

Kauai’s famous Goteborg Musubi ~ Tanioka’s (in WaipaHU) take on it

• October 6, 2016 at 11:52 am

Cream tuna is one can tuna (7oz) drained with one can condensed mushroom soup. Slowly heat stirring. on top of rice. can put a little shoyu when you serve.

• October 7, 2016 at 10:03 am

Pat (and Kyle), Ah, so Cream of Mushroom Soup is the “cream” part of Cream Tuna. Again, like Cottage Roll, never heard of the dish until now. Admittedly, it doesn’t sound too good, but I’ll have to try it before judging.

Diner K LOVES Tuna Eggs, which is exactly as it sounds. Canned tuna fried with eggs. So imagine scrambled eggs mixed with fried tuna, and there you go. It smells kinda’ “disturbing” when the tuna is frying in the pan, and to me, and in taste, Tuna Eggs isn’t exactly my idea of “comfort food”. More like desperado food. Totally “ghetto” if you ask me. lol

• October 7, 2016 at 11:05 am

That picture you posted above does not look like the stuff we used to get.  Think pork shoulder or butt stuffed into a sausage casing about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter, 8 – 10 inches long. Actually, I haven’t seen it in ages and google searches don’t seem to have current info on Swift or Hormel offerings of this item. Maybe no longer available?

Like you, I absolutely love ham!

• October 7, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Kyle,

Ah, so that’s not it. There’s these ones called “Cottage Ham”, however they just looked rolled up, not stuffed into a casing the size you gave…

Cottage Ham

• October 7, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Actually Cottage Roll can be brine ham or pork. I believe if it processed in to a pate consistency and put in to a casing then it becomes what is called in.New Jusery a Taylor ham or Pork roll which is fantastic for breakfast or sandwiches.

• October 6, 2016 at 7:39 am

Like Amy, we used to make like a corned beef salad sandwich with canned corned beef and mayo.  I don’t think we added relish to it though.

I just have to say, we must be on a similar mind wavelength.  I just bought a can of corned beef (probably the first in 10 years) because I wanted to make corned beef hash. I just posted the recipe on my FB cooking page.  Too funny.

• October 7, 2016 at 5:41 am

Awww, thank you!  Check out Hapa Cooking on FB for more recipes.  (Un-Japanese-like shameless plug.  My haole side coming out.)  Thanks again!

• October 7, 2016 at 8:38 am

I love hash patties!  Just made some a couple of weeks ago.  I use coarsely chopped onions, but I sauté them, mix in the canned corned beef and continue to cook until the onions are soft.  I also add butter to the potatoes while mashing.

• October 7, 2016 at 10:08 am

Shevon,

Thank YOU for sharing it! I LOVE Okazuya style food, where my favorite one is most definitely St. Louis Okazuya for their simplicity and price, and then Nuuanu for their vast array of Fish Cakes. Gulick Delicatessen is great as well. Masa and Joyce in Kaneohe another winnah. They’re all good, but getting kinda’ expensive for “plate lunch” grindz. After about 5 choices, your place easily run nearly $15. Fukuya in Mo’ili’ili takes the prize for high price.

Kyle, I like the idea of adding butter. I bet some shoyu in there would kick it up as well!

• October 11, 2016 at 4:55 am

Yes, the last time I was home the price of my okazuya plate could’ve paid a utility bill!  Sheesh, everything looks so good and, before you know it, you end up with a 5 pound plate.  I used to love when they made you a plate, put a piece of wax paper on top, wrapped it in butcher paper, folded it over, and rubber banded it with a napkin and hashi.  Nothing taste better after a day at the beach.

• October 6, 2016 at 10:16 am

Do you ever eat corned beef in the Filipino style, sauteed with onions, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, and dried peas?

Also, the corned beef in corned beef and cabbage has its origins as Jewish corned beef since Irish immigrants in the US found it as a suitable replacement for Irish bacon.

• October 6, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Phillipines are huge consumers of canned corned beef (and to a lesser extent, hash). Learned it from America, along with canned sausage and Spam. They not only cure and can  their own, with local and American brand tags , but import from New Zealand and Australia. Palm even makes an adobo flavor. Almost all the recipes look like they came straight out of Hawaii which makes me suspect they did, with a bit of additional dress up.

• October 7, 2016 at 5:22 am

pat,

Like I mentioned in comment from the “Beanee Weenee” post, I had a brief chat with this Filipino woman (very attractive I might add!), who literally LOADED HER CART with cases upon cases of Libby’s Vienna Sausage. Which was on sale at the time at Don Quijote. I asked her if the Philippines has Vienna Sausage, and she said, “yes”, however “not the same” as ours here in the US. The Vienna Sausage in P.I. is “different” she said, with different labeling (ours is more American?) and, I really didn’t get what else different than that, based on what she briefly said. However it must be different enough for her to send cases of the stuff from here to P.I.

• October 9, 2016 at 9:19 am

Does anyone know that the manapua at Char Hung Sut is not pork but char sui flavored corn beef.  Zippys make a excellent corned beef hash with so much corned beef that I add potatoes and make two portions out of one serving with the addition of green onions.  The extra potatoes mellow out the rich salty corned beef.  The other extreme is most okazuya hash patties contain 98% potato.

• October 9, 2016 at 10:02 am

Al,

The original “rumor” I heard was that Libby’s Manapua was made with corned beef. Tasting either one, it doesn’t taste like Corned Beef at all. And I can’t see the economics in that, as it would be much more expensive to use corned beef than ground pork.

That’s why I like Okazuya style Corned Beef Hash, for its higher ratio of potato to corned beef. I think that gives it a better balance, helping to cut down on the saltiness of it.

• October 9, 2016 at 2:29 pm

check the texture of Char Hung Sut filling.  It’s just the food coloring sauce that gives the flavor.  Could be wrong others have thought the same.  Too much corned beef in a patty can too rich but at least a ratio of 80/20 would be perfect.