Chef Chris Manabe’s Ahi SPAM® Dip With Crackers

• 1 cup low sodium Aloha Shoyu
  • 1 lemon, squeezed
  • 2 teaspoon garlic, grated
  • ½ teaspoon ginger, grated
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • ½ cup cracker meal

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Put mixture in small casserole dishes and add more cracker meal on top. Drizzle with butter (optional). Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 15 min. Serve with your favorite variety of Diamond Bakery crackers.

This recipe is from Chef Chris Manabe of Side Street Inn, who also happens to be the grandson of the founder of Diamond Bakery, famous for their popular Saloon Pilot Crackers, Royal Creem Crackers and my fave’, da’ Soda Crackers… I like da’ crackah. lol

Not only do I LOVE Diamond Soda Crackers, but I’m also a huge DIP fan. So when I happened to come across this recipe featured in the January ’16 issue of MIDWEEK (a page towards the back I normally don’t get to), I  was quite intrigued and curious how this tastes! That’s a BONKERS concoction of “ingrediments”!

While I haven’t personally made it myself (yet), in case you missed it, I thought you SPAM JAMMERS and Ahi Poke fans alike might be interested in this one, therefore I’m reposting it here from Cooking Hawaiian Style.

I’ll update this recipe post with step-by-step photos and thoughts once I make it myself.

~ Pomai

*Source: COOKING HAWAIIAN STYLE with host Lanai Tabura. Please visit their website for many more great recipes!

Don Quijote Shoyu Wasabi Ahi Poke

SPAM® Snacks

Diamond Bakery Original Hawaiian Soda Crackers (unsalted tops)

New England Clam Chowder served with Diamond Soda Crackers FTW!

The Tasty Island on the set of Cooking Hawaiian Style

More Tasty Island related links:
Nalani Kele’s Clam Dip recipe
Nalani Kele’s Veggie Dip recipe
• ShAloha (house-made Zataar-seasoned Pita Chips with Creamy Hummus)
Stonemill® Kitchens Spinach & Artichoke Parmesan Dip
Taro Delight Smoked Taro Dip

6 thoughts on “Chef Chris Manabe’s Ahi SPAM® Dip With Crackers

• February 26, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Pomai, we women at work loved dips of all kind at get together.  Will try this

out to bring to work.

• February 26, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Amy,

Well, your coworkers eyes will surely widen when you tell them you’re bringing Ahi SPAM Dip. Like “WTH is that!?”

Speaking of “WTH?” ‘kine dips, have you ever heard of Lomi Salmon Dip? I never did  post it yet, but it’s really easy to make. Simply add Lomi Salmon, juices drained, to softened cream cheese and mix to evenly combine. Then slowly add some of the salty Lomi Salmon liquid into the mixture until you reach the right flavor (saltiness). Let it sit in refrigerator for a few hours to set.

While Lomi Salmon Dip is great with whatever crackers you use, I found it tastes best with Triscuit snack crackers. That’s one ono dip!

• February 26, 2016 at 8:20 pm

It is tradition in New England to serve New England clam chowder with Oyster Crackers made by Westminster Bakers Company out of Rutland, VT. They have been in business 100 years or more. The Oyster Cracker has a taste similar to Soda Crackers but are smaller so when you add them to chowder they float and you can scoop up a few in broth with your chowder spoon. Because of the interplay with New England whalers it would be safe to say when they got to Hawaii they adopted the Soda Crackers as a replacement for Oyster Crackers: http://www.westminstercrackers.com/

• February 26, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Ken,

When my parents owned a time share condo’ on Maui when I was a young boy, every time we flew there to check-up on it, we’d head on over to Pioneer Inn Restaurant in Lahaina, where they were famous for their New England Clam Chowder. Which I actually do remember was served with Oyster Crackers. That’s probably half the reason folks thought their NECC was legit’.As far as I knew as young kid, it was AWESOME! (the restaurant located oceanfront helped too!)

Ever since that fond memory of the dish, including the Oyster Crackers, since then, whenever we’d dine out, if the soup of the day was New England Clam Chowder, I’d be the first to raise my hand on it! However, somewhat disappointed, I don’t recall other restaurants following the Oyster Crackers protocol, usually serving it with some type of cheap saltine crackers instead, or no crackers at all. Ack!

I think Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers are a mighty fine stand-in for Oyster Crackers, and also float at the surface of soups, even when you break them up in pieces, as I always do. I like to let those crumbled soda cracker pieces get just a tad soaked with the broth, yet still crunchy inside. Perfect. Gosh, now I’m craving NECC with DBSC!.. ASAP! lol

As for the Westminster brand, I see they have a Saltine Cracker, which I’d really love to try. Looking at the retailers they distribute to on their website, none of those are here in Hawaii.

Back to Clam Chowder, I think we’ve discussed this before, but I’ve never been a fan of the tomato-based New York style Manhattan Clam Chowder. Gotta’ be rich, thick ‘n creamy New England!

• February 27, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Westminster Bakers started in Westminster, MA. On their website and through Amazon you can order their products. Amazon carries a large selection. You can also purchase select only made in New England and Portuguese food products via Famousfoods.com

• February 27, 2016 at 12:56 pm

BTW according to Westminster, they distribute to 47 states.

As for the clam chowder, there is New England Cream Clam Chowder, Rhode Island Clear Clam Chowder, Rhode Island Red Clam Chowder (Italian Style) and Manhattan Red Clam Chowder (Vegetable Style).