Grindz of the Day: Iyasume, Crab Divan & Hawaii Five-0

We begin the first “Grindz of the Day” for 2016 from where? From da’ beginning! As well as you may ask. lol  Let’s start with a set of Musubi from Cafe Iyasume, which is no question, THE BEST place to get your Musubi on in the WORLD, period. Well, OK, I’m sure Japan has better Musubi than here in Hawaii, however, FWIW (for what it’s worth), all things considered, including LOCATION, Iyasume RULES!

Crab Divan by Diner… oishii yo! Yosh!

Next up, Diner E cooked this AMAZINGLY OISHII  Broccoli and Crab Casserole that I was like “OMG!”!!!! Dude! Fortunately in his always generous heart, he was willing to share his recipe, to which I’m sharing it with you now. Yay!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crab Divan
By Diner E

• 1 pack of imitation crab (use real jumbo lump crab if you’re rich lol), cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1  pounds broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • 1 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods/Hellman’s preferably)
  • 2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
  • Ritz® Crackers, crumbled finely (like breadcrumbs)

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Par-cook broccoli in a pot of rapidly boiling water until semi-tender, then drain and dry thoroughly.

Combine cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise and about 1 cup of the grated Cheddar Cheese in a large mixing bowl.

Add crab and par-cooked broccoli to the bowl with the mushroom soup/mayo/cheddar cheese mixture and combine loosely with hands or large spoon until coated evenly.

Before adding the mixture, sprinkle a layer of Ritz Crackers on bottom of baking pan, then spread mixture over that. Top the casserole by sprinkling with remaining Cheddar Cheese, followed finally with a sprinkling of more Ritz Cracker crumbs, enough to make a “crust” if you will.

Bake Crab & Broccoli casserole uncovered (don’t put foil on it) in preheated 350ºF oven for about 30 minutes. Let cool to allow it to “set”, then serve and enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hawaii Five-0 reboot 2016: Steve McGarrett’s Black Chevy Camaro (the stunt double model) on the set at Dole Cannery in Iwilei, preparing for a gun fight ~ 2.07.16

Finally, production began proverbially with a BANG! in 2016 for Hawaii Five-0, where they were filming yesterday at Dole Cannery in Iwilei, pretty much throughout the entire day. Being my office is nearby there, I was fortunate to catch some of the action, of which I’m sharing with you, as always. ;-)

Hawaii Five-0 reboot 2016: Steve McGarrett’s Black Chevy Camaro (the stunt double model) on the set at Dole Cannery in Iwilei, preparing for a gun fight (and yes, those are real HPD officers directing traffic, not actors) ~ 2.07.16

Hawaii Five-0 reboot 2016: a marked Honolulu Police Department (HPD) cruiser on the set ready for a gun fight (HPD’s REAL squad cars are FORD, not Chevy, while the markings are slightly different, yet very close!)

Pomai with Taylor, one of Hawaii Five-0’s production assistants in charge of security ~ 2.07.16 @ Dole Cannery in Iwilei (early in the morning around 7:45am)

Here’s video clips I shot with my Note 4 (I should have zoomed-in tighter)….

This is Ryan Ozawa’s footage of those same Five-0 takes the same time I was there….

9 thoughts on “Grindz of the Day: Iyasume, Crab Divan & Hawaii Five-0

• January 8, 2016 at 6:52 am

That’s a really interesting invisible recipe…. :-)  Did Diner E decide to keep it a secret after all?

• January 8, 2016 at 7:09 am

sjthespian,

The Crab Divine recipe is up. This is one of those post where I get ahead of myself and publish it before it’s finished. Like every good book should be! lol

• January 8, 2016 at 8:07 am

Pomai,    Great Video!!! That must have been fantastic to watch. I saw a few Magnum P.I.’s being filmed when I lived there. Also did a walk through on “In Search of the Honolulu Strangler” in front of Denney’s by the Zoo! A long time ago. LOL!   Mahalo.

• January 8, 2016 at 9:10 am

Just got back from Oahu.  I tried a musubi from Iyasume and it was pretty good.  It was in the afternoon so the selection wasn’t that good.  Wished I had time to try Marukame Udon.  Keikis got their fill.  Nandings, Kamehameha Bakery, Napoleons, Leonards and Waiola.  Should have gone to Foodland for poke.  That crab dish looks like da bomb.  Happy New Year!

• January 8, 2016 at 2:59 pm

I still think Mana Bu’s makes the best musubi.  Only thing is the parking lot is small and they sell out of stuff fast.

• January 8, 2016 at 4:04 pm

@ K I – I’ve done two reviews of Manabu’s in the past, here and here. ;-)

@ Kobi – To my surprise, Nanding’s is opening up another bakery on Kapahulu Avenue, right behind Zippy’s. That’s kinda’ interesting, considering the demographic of the area. Perhaps the tourists are “in” on their famous buttery Spanish Rolls?

@ Andy – Ryan Ozawa (HawaiiBlog.com and HawaiiThreads.com) has even better video of the Hawaii Five-O filming yesterday on his FB page. He was like, RIGHT THERE on the sidewalk by them! I tried embedding it here, but it doesn’t work, so look him up.

• January 9, 2016 at 7:09 am

Pomai, that crab divine is indeed divine and that mom wonder how is it

rice .  I made the leftover into musubi and mom and everybody love

even more.  Crab divine on the go now for lunch at work.

• January 9, 2016 at 8:44 am

Amy,

I don’t think the Crab Divan would go well with rice. It’s best as a low-carb all-in-one meal in itself.

• January 10, 2016 at 9:16 pm

I love behind the scenes stuff. I didn’t know their prop guns made noise! I thought they added the sound in the studio. Do you work in the C&C or nearby Dole building? I use to work in the C&C when C&C was still there and both are incredibly haunted. I heard the obakes migrated to the Dole Theaters and elevators too. They’re very mobile. I bet they were shook up with all that noise. All kinds of obake things happen in both buildings reported by all kinds of people, even mainland folks who didn’t know that it was haunted.