Hau’oli Makahiki Hou 2016

Foodland Deli (Market City Shopping Center) Ahi Oyster Sauce Poke, 1 pound

Hope you had a “blast” this New Year’s weekend. Mines was pretty quiet, as other than the Waikiki block party on Saturday night, didn’t go out much. Because I stayed home that night, didn’t even get my Sashimi “fix” for New Year’s Eve, which as you know is a Hawaii tradition introduced by the Japanese as a symbol of good fortune and prosperity.

Still, yesterday I HAD to get my raw Ahi “on”, and went on a Poke mission, only to discover THE BEST spot over at Ono Seafood on Kapahulu Avenue was CLOSED for the first 5 days of the New Year. NO!!!!!

So then I was like, “Eh, I really should go to the next best place up at Tamura’s on Waialae”, but didn’t feel like driving that “far” up Kaimuki  (typical island driver mentality, right?). So instead “settled” with the Poke from where else? Foodland in Market City Shopping Center just a block up. Yet you know what? I like Foodland’s poke. Safeway’s too. Even the previously frozen stuff works for me. I know, I know, the whole idea for the New Year’s tradition is get to THE BEST sashimi grade Ahi you can afford or find, but I wasn’t on that mission. I just wanted Poke that satisfied my immediate craving without going too far out the way.

Check out da’ Poke spread at Foodland Market City on January 2, 2016 (afternoon around 2pm)…

I was goin’ order all ‘kine anykine stuffs fo’ make “fancy” presentation, but I nevah like eat Tako ‘dis or Kim Chee ‘dat. I jus’ when stay like Ahi Poke, so went with one full pound Oyster Sauce Shoyu Ahi Poke…

You’re probably like, “You ate a whole pound of Ahi Poke by yourself?” Yep! Braddah Cuz, no pun intended, I pound ’em! LOL!!! You should see me at the high end buffet restaurants. I no mess around. I’ll walk back to the table with one full round of nothing but Ahi Poke and Sashimi piled HIGH on my plate. No scade ’em, cuz, whack da’ raw fish, brah! Das’ da’ GOLD!

How’s my presentation “action”….

Awe, so “purdy”! I should be a food stylist! Oh, that’s right, part of food blogging is being one.Or at least trying to be!

And? Dude, I swear, previously frozen, and previously mixed, even if this was THE freshest batch made at the time of my purchase (the guy said they had just mixed this batch minutes before I arrived, and you could TELL by the vibrant color compared to the other ones), if you told me you bought this Ahi Poke at Ono Seafood, I would totally believe you. It was SLAMMAH’ JAMMAH’ ONOLICIOUS WINNAHZ! I was already sold after the guy at the counter handed me a cube to sample. I was like “SOLD! One pound to go, cuz!”

Usually if I make Ahi Poke at home, I make mine local Japanese style, with my “Ingrediments” and seasonings being fresh Ahi of course, cut into about 1″ cubes, white and green onion sliced thinly on the bias, minced ginger, Yamasa Shoyu (gotta’ be that brand) and Mirin (for the added sweetness and “bite”). That’s it. Keep it simple. Nuff. I do like the traditional Hawaiian style with Limu (or Ogo) and Inamona on occasion, like at a Luau, but on any other day, I prefer my Ahi Poke local Japanese style. That said, Foodland was ROCKIN’ this Oyster Sauce Shoyu Ahi Poke, where the oyster sauce added just the right amount of “meaty” depth and sweetness to the “melt like buttah!” raw Ahi cubes. PERFECT!

Next time I’ll do a full-on “Poke Spread” post, getting and featuring a little each of a whole variety of Poke you see pictured at the Foodland Deli Counter above. So many to choose, your head spins! “Counter Freeze”!!! And I love it!

P.S.

Local shoreline fisherman come out in DROVES at Diamond Head Beach on January 1, 2016, when the Waikiki-Diamond Head Shoreline Fisheries opens up the area to catch fish

P.S. Speaking of fish, the Waikiki-Diamond Shoreline Fisheries Management Area, which spans from the Ewa wall of the Waikiki Natatorium to the Diamond Head Lighthouse once again opened up to shoreline fishing, effective from January 1 to December 31, 2016. And as you can see in the photo taken above in the afternoon on January 1, 2016, folks came out in DROVES to take advantage of the fresh catch awaiting them!

I got to have a nice chat with one of the Division of Aquatic Resources agents, who took to Diamond Head Beach on Saturday, January 2nd, there with a survey sheet, talking with local fishermen about what they were catching. the Hawaii DAR does intensive research on shoreline fishing, evaluating whether they need to extend or reduce restricted times and zones based on the health of the reef’s ecosystem and livestock. He explained they have a program called “L-50” meaning if a fish reaches a certain length based on its typical size at that maturity level, there’s a 50% chance it will reproduce, which of course what we all want to preserve a given population of that species.

The Waikiki-Diamond Head Shoreline Fishing Management Area is open during even-numbered and closed during odd-numbered years.

For more information, visit the State of Hawaii Division of Aquatic Resources website here.

Finally, while I didn’t attend any particular parties, I did spend lots of time this extended New Year’s weekend just relaxing and swimming at the beach. And with that, thought you folks would get a kick out of this “Heavy Load” SUV I was driving behind on my way to Kahala Beach yesterday…

Is that not HILARIOUS or WHAT?!!! LOL!!!

It’s like, “Honey, are you going to install the new surfboard rack on the car I got you this Christmas?”  Hubby replies, “Babe, with the new board I just got from that gift card you also gave me, believe me, safe to say you can return those surfboard racks…” *chuckles* LOL!!!!!

In the in situ photo above, you can see to scale in relation to those pedestrians, just how MASSIVE that “wave board” is. I’m just thinking “Fred Flintstone Ribs” when I see this. LOL!!!

“Bound” (about to hit the waves) on Saturday, January 2, 2016 at Diamond Head Beach

Still not convinced? How’s about 5 people on it at the same time!!!

I swear, I so want to get on one of these with a bunch of friends and ride some waves. Must be a BLAST!!! There’s an interesting story about the C4 Waterman here.

All we need next is the “C-5 Noah’s Ark”, which would essentially be a surfboard as long and wide as a C-5 Galaxy military cargo aircraft. Wow!

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “Hau’oli Makahiki Hou 2016

• January 3, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Aloha and Happy New Year Pomai, I guess I rather be behind that than one of Obama’s many golf outings!!! Great pictures!!! Mahalo.

• January 3, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Andy,

I was just wondering/slightly concerned: if that Godzilla-sized “surfboard” somehow unbuckled itself and flew off their roof and landed in front of or hit the front of my FJ Cruiser (which in itself is much more reassuring than say, a Toyota Corolla), could my FJ punch right through it? Or climb over it? Or would it be like this giant sponge-like surfboard-shaped “ramp” that launched my FJ into the air like the SuperTruck “Big Foot”? LOL!!!!

• January 3, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Pomai,     I guess you have to call up the Coneheads for good auto insurance, or the English Gecko!!!! LOL!!!

• January 4, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Pomai:  Like you, I love sashimi and all kinds of poke.  Living now in AZ, I don’t get too many opportunities to eat it.  In Vegas for the New Years, I ate a lot of ahi sashimi at the casino’s NYE party.  And a friend fro SoCal gave me four ziploc gallon bags of frozen fish — two of rock fish filets, one of hamachi filets, and one of ahi filets (actually small ahi, shibiko).  Tonight I am gonna eat one bag of rockfish and fry it.  Tomorrow I will use the ahi and make either limu poke or Korean style poke with cucumbers, green onion, round onion, and sesame oil — haven’t decided what kind yet.

• January 4, 2016 at 3:17 pm

@ Andy – The original version of that State Farm commercial where the wife “walks in” on the hubby’s late-night call with “Jack in Khaki’s” always cracks me up. One of the best commercials ever made! “She sounds hideous!”… “Well, she’s a guy” LOL!!!!

@ Alan – I’m curious how well your frozen Ahi will taste defrosted and eaten raw as Poke. I’m not familiar with the process how they do at the supermarkets here. What the time frame is? Chemicals used, etc. I know there’s that controversial chemical treatment that preserves the Ahi’s red color (just out of top-of-mind, not Googling for the detailed info’). I find it very “passable” for Poke, yet of course there IS a difference of course in both flavor and texture between that and fresh, never frozen. I don’t recall ever eating Sashimi (much more easily noticeable for sure) made with previously frozen Ahi. At least not that I was aware of from the identification at the store or restaurant.

Where do you get the (fresh?) Ogo from in Arizona? Or do you freeze that, too? As you know, Hawaii has an Ogo aquafarm on the Kona Coast, same place where they aqua farm Abalone and Cold Water Lobster, sourced from Maine “chickens”.

Not sure if the frozen Rockfish you have is related to the Lion Fish, but I was watching a Bizarre Foods episode where in Florida they have a fisheries program to aggressively eradicate Lion Fish. They’ve become a terribly invasive species in their waters, preying on all the GOOD (marketable) reef fish and throwing off the marine ecosystem from the lower east coast, all the way around to shoreline states within the Gulf of Mexico. Even sharks can’t touch them. Although their spines are poisonous, apparently the flesh of Lion Fish is really good eats, being high in fat content (IIRC).

• January 5, 2016 at 2:38 am

Pomai:  I am not familiar with any chemical additives that they add to frozen fish to preserve the color.  But as an ex-commerical fisherman in Hawaii (not my vocation but my advocation) I know that most of the long line boats have flash freezing/blast freezers on-board that they use.  Then the wholesalers use the band saws to cut up the frozen fish once they receive it.  So the flash freezing makes the flesh better — flashing freezing produces smaller ice crystals in the flesh, rather the large ice crystals when you freeze in your home freezer.  Larger ice crystals rip up the flesh and that is what makes it mushy.  I will let you know how my poke comes out tonight.  Also, I get my ogo brought to me by Honolulu guests.  I then put salt in them and freeze it in ziploc bags.  It lasts forever.  Lastly, my rockfish from SoCal is not lionfish types — since they are filets, I don’t know if they are rock cod or nohu kinds of bottom fish.  I made the fried fish last night with cajun seasoned coating and it was delicious!!

• January 5, 2016 at 2:03 pm

OK; made my poke.  Decided on sorta a Hawaiian style poke.  Fish cubes, Hawaiian salt, chili pepper flakes, and limu kohu and ogo chopped up.  Pretty ono in my opinion.  Of course the freezing causes the fish to slightly off color, but good enough for poke.  Gonna eat it tonight with my five spice grilled chicken and rice.

• January 4, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Eh Pomai!

Great post – made me ono for be back home! Also, you gotta check out this post on YouTube. It’s a cover of the video you have embedded here. It’s one of my new faves! https://youtu.be/nzFJNsij38c

Mahalo!

Kanoa

• January 4, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Eh Kanoa,

That cover of “Lean On” by Mykal Kilgore is SOLID! Great voice! I’m a new fan! I also really dig his Jazz band! GREAT musicianship! Thanks for letting me know about it!

I’m trying to be more current with my song choices, as in the past, all my favorite music I embed here have been “oldies but goodies”. Nothin’ wrong with that, but current music trends are where I’d like to go, going into 2016.

Why, where you stay now? Mainland? Other country? I bet military.

• January 4, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Right on – glad you liked it! It’s actually a band called Postmodern Jukebox. They have rotating lead vocalists, but the main point is they cover modern songs in vintage styles. Many of their covers have become more loved by me than the originals. This is my ALL TIME favorite: https://youtu.be/nzFJNsij38c

California now. Not military, my parents just had ants in their pants, so we moved back and forth a lot, haha. Kaaawa was home base. Miss so much about it.

Mahalo!

Kanoa

• January 4, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Kanoa,

That was the same link. Did you mean to link to another song by them? Whatever the case, I’ll definitely look-up more covers by Postmodern Jukebox! They remind me of a progressive style of Louisiana Jazz with a hip-hop twist.

I’m VERY familiar with Kaa’awa, being I used to work for John Morgan at Kualoa Ranch, and even rented one of the ranch’s beachfront homes (like, ocean waves would hit our house’s makai-facing wall during high tide during stormy weather!) right down the street (North Shore-bound) from from the ranch. It was one of the BEST TIMES OF MY LIFE, I swear to God. I even met the “Love of My Life” there at the ranch, however that’s a VERY LONG story for another day.

Anyways, you remember Country Kitchen, the tiny takeout joint next to the post office across Swanzy Beach Park, next to the Kaa’awa 7-Eleven? Braddah Cuz’ (I’m assuming), they had DA’ BES’ Loco Moco I evah’ when’ stay try!

To this day, every time I drive by Kaa’awa and Kualoa, I shed a tear. There’s so much natural beauty and “mana” there. It truly is a magical place on Earth that’s very near and dear to my heart.  A part of my soul still lives there.

• January 4, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Whoops! Try again: https://youtu.be/8gO_lxThc1M

And of course I remember country kitchen! That place was bomb! Yes, Kaaawa is stunningly beautiful. It still calls to me…

I remember walking out to China Man’s Hat at low tide, sitting on the small beach that faces out toward the open ocean. A memory that is pleasurable, but hurtful at the same time. It seems very fast away now. Aloha!

• January 6, 2016 at 12:20 am

Pomai, not sure how much seafood a person should have in week

but I limit just twice a week .  Due to mercury in it.

• January 6, 2016 at 4:49 am

@ Kelike – Here’s a recent, very informative article on the subject (which yes, I’ve alway been very much aware of):
    Save the sashimi: rising mercury levels in Hawaiian Ahi indicate global problem ~ Discover Magazine

@ Kainoa – Another great cover by Postermodern Jukebox! I’m not really familiar with that Maroon 5 song though. I think all that band is missing is a lead guitarist. The pianist is great!

Occasionally we used to circle Chinaman’s Hat on Jet Skis early in the morning when the water was like glass. Interestingly, never seen any sharks while doing that, however I heard there’s plenty on the north-facing side of Chinaman’s Hat. Nice little sandy cove on that island, too. I definitely gotta’ get out there again soon!

Note, I had to correct the name of the beach park in Kaa’awa, across 7-Eleven, as I had mistakenly called it “Crane Beach Park”, confusing it with the one in Kaimuki. It’s SWANZY Beach Park in Kaa’awa! For the birds. lol

@ Alan – I’m surprised you made your Poke “Hawaiian style”, which would call for THE freshest fish possible, being it really highlights and exposes its rawness, having no sauces to mask any imperfections in the fish. Mirin does WONDERS in “helping out” less-than-perfect raw Ahi.

To be honest, I haven’t had TRUE Limu Kohu in a few years now. That’s as good as GOLD, next to Opihi! Certain places you can buy fresh (I think it’s previously frozen though) Limu Kohu in balls. When I was growing up, we always had a jar of fresh-picked Limu Kohu stored in the freezer. I’m talking the really GRITTY, dense stuff. The GOOD stuff! It does freeze really well.

One thing I never did try is making Poke with Japanese Konbu (the dried, then reconstituted stuff). I’ll keep an eye for a Poke already made like that in the store next time!

• January 6, 2016 at 5:18 am

Pomai:  The poke with the frozen fish was good.  With plenty of salt and limu, especially the limu kohu, it was good.  I tried making poke with konbu and I even tried with that funny green colored ogo (I think it comes from Japan).  Both were bad.  I will stick to making my poke with frozen ogo and limu kohu from Hawaii.

• January 8, 2016 at 9:19 am

I still remember the first time I saw the poke in Foodland — I had to retstrain myself from buying a quarter pound of each and eating it all in the car in the parking lot!  That’s one of the things I really wish we could get back here on the mainland…

• January 8, 2016 at 12:44 pm