Grindz of the Day: Shrimp Chips, Zippy’s, “The Moth” ‘n More

We begin today’s grindz of the day from where? From da’ beginning! As well as you may ask. lol Seriously, yet not really, today let’s compare Frito Lay’s “Maui Style” Shrimp Chips vs. Marco Polo Brand Shrimp Chips. Oooh, this is DEEP! So complex! Not to mention EXPENSIVE!… counting both of ’em, all $4 bucks worth! lol

If you haven’t tried shrimp chips before, they’re not as “gross” as it may sound, and actually quite addicting. If done right, they don’t and/or shouldn’t taste “shrimpy” in a pungent or “sea foodie” way, but more of a mild accent to its overall flavor profile. They’re very light, airy (porous) and crispy. You can also buy shrimp chips in their uncooked state (shops in Chinatown carry it), which look like colored “pellets” if you will, where once they hit the the hot oil, they immediately puff up, similar to Pork Rinds.

Looking at the two next each other, it’s obvious the Lay’s “Maui Style” Shrimp Chips are much more “puffy”, while the Marco Polo Brand on the left looks more dense.

Tasting it, the Marco Polo Brand is definitely more “shrimpy”, to the point that, if you don’t like the SOUND of “Shrimp Chips”, then you might not like the taste at first bite. However once you eat a few, you do get used to its “shrimpiness”. Is that a word? lol It’s also definitely more on the dense side, texture-wise, yet still light and crispy overall.

Compared to the Marco Polo Brand, the Frito Lay’s “Maui Style” Shrimp Chips are – as they appear — much lighter and puffy in texture when you bite into them. They’re also seasoned better with salt, giving it an addictive quality that makes you want to keep eating them. As for “Shrimpiness”, very, very subtle, where even the most picky “I hate seafood!” type of eater would probably approve of these and scarf the whole bag.

The verdict? “Maui Style” Shrimp Chips for the win!

Speaking of “Maui Style” Chips, YES, the original Kitch’n Cook’d Maui Potato Chips are still around, albeit, currently available (for the most part) exclusively on Maui…

Kitch’n Cook’d Maui Potato Chips with French Vanilla Ice Cream “dip”

Back to Zippy’s, we have Diner E’s “Grindz of the Day” for lunch today, his go-to fave’, the Chili Burrito Plate. Whoah cuz, not da’ 3 scoops rice with da’ Tex-Mex grindz, eh? lol  Diggin’ the yellow chili pepper they throw in there. Nice “local” touch, Zippy’s!

Then we’ve got Diner A’s full on “local ‘kine grindz” combo’ ‘kine action, pairing a Zippy’s SPAM Musubi with Portuguese Bean Soup? Dude, BRILLIANT! When he walked into the office the other day and plopped that on his desk, I nearly fell off my chair, thinking, “Dude, you are a GENIUS!”

I seriously would NEVER have thought of doing a SPAM Musubi and Podagee Bean Soup combo!

What actually surprised me as much as the combo itself, was that Zippy’s sold SPAM Musubi. I never knew that! That was actually the first time Diner A tried their SPAM Musubi, which he gave a thumbs-up. Winnahz! Of course Zippy’s Portuguese Bean Soup totally rocks, where you can totally taste the signature smoked flavor in the broth from the ham hocks it’s made it with. Porky Portuguese Bean Soup goodness down to the last drop… AHHHHHHH! *rubs tummy with lip-smackin’ satisfaction*

Speaking of combos, one of Zippy’s most popular is their Chili Chicken Plate.

By now you regular readers know my Zippy’s go-to fave’ is non other than their Zip Pac. I LOVE IT. Yet what I appreciate as much as the ono grindz itself, is the “reusable” plastic container Zippy’s now uses for most of their takeout plates, including the Zip Pac. So it went from that, to this homemade breakfast bento I made myself for work recently…

Yep, that’s my own stuff I prepared, reusing Zippy’s Zip Pac container to pack it in, no pun intended. Specifically, an egg omelet filled with grated and melted cheddar and Mozz’ cheese, along with two slices of fried Bacon-flavored SPAM, served over a bed of Tamanishiki Gold Gohan (cooked in my totally awesome Induction Heat Zojirushi Rice Cooker), along with a two slices of Maui Takuan and Beni Shoga. Woot-woot!

Moving along, this next subject isn’t about food, it’s about a “visitor”. You may remember a past post I did earlier last year on the “The Moth Superstition”, where when a moth — usuallly the large “black” ones — appears in your home, some folks believe its an embodiment of a loved one who recently passed away coming to visit you and say goodbye before they move on.

Well, very recently a dear Aunt of mine passed away (age-related health causes), and sure enough, last night a HUGE black moth flew into my place, and STAYED there for the past two days.

And again, this moth was HUGE, measuring 5½” across its wingspan. What’s interesting is, I think they’re blind, as they don’t move at all when you approach it. Only if you make a really loud and abrupt noise or try to touch it, does it “wig out” and fly, well, like blind a bat! It flies into the walls like it can’t see where it’s going. Really strange.

It first flew into my living room and stayed on the ceiling for hours. Then it flew into the kitchen and hung out there. Then the next day it flew into my bedroom, then into my bathroom. Do they scare me? Only when they fly, because they look and act freaky while doing that, being  they don’t know where they’re going, and “fly” like it’s “wiggin’ out”. lol

Am I freaked out? No, not at all. Giant black moths have flown into my house to “visit” every time a close loved one passed away, including all our family dogs.

Now, do you think I believe in the moth superstition? You bet! Of course! I don’t call those “visits” by giant black moths in my home coincidence, that’s for sure!

Back to da’ grindz, we’ve got Mac ‘n Cheese from Honolulu Beerworks, home of THE BEST IPA on the island! Dude, I swear, their HI PA is MO-NEY! B-B-BANK! Oh, the Mac ‘n Cheese is pretty dang tasty, too! They definitely nail it!

Speaking of beer, it just won’t be a brew pub without observing Oktoberfest! From left to right, that’s Honolulu Beerworks servers Sam, Mark and Malissa sportin’ the spirit. “Ziggy Zaggy, Ziggy Zaggy, Oi Oi Oi!”

Let’s close this with one of my favorite pictures from last weekend’s totally off-the-chains 2015 Hawaii Prince Oktoberfest

Reason I like this shot — besides the lovely Fräulein — is a corporate senior manager (super awesome guy and GREAT boss!) who used to work for our company used to exclusively call me “Pomeister” (we were office next door neighbors), so I always get a chuckle and think of him whenever I see a bottle of Jagermeister. I should create my own hard liquor line and name it “Pomeister”. “I’ll have a Hefeweizen and a shot of Pomeister, please.” lol

20 thoughts on “Grindz of the Day: Shrimp Chips, Zippy’s, “The Moth” ‘n More

• October 15, 2015 at 6:06 pm

So sorry to hear about your Aunt. But that is something about the Black Moth, Amazing!

• October 15, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Andy,

I’m curious if, after hearing my TRUE story about the black moth “visits”, do you now believe in this black moth superstition? Have you ever had any personal encounters with a giant black moth flying into your home? Of course there are LOGICAL explanations why moths fly into your home as well, so it depends on your aspect.

• October 16, 2015 at 9:39 am

Pomai,   Yes, I do believe in the Black Moth legend that has happened to you. I lived on Oahu for over six years and have heard MANY stories that have creeped me out, especially walking across Kapi’olani Park after leaving the Rose and Crown Pub after midnight!!! In my family its three hard knocks on the front outside door when family have passed away, which I have heard twice in my life. Weird Stuff!!!  Aloha.

• October 16, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Hmm…. a Pomeister??

You could mix pomegranate juice with vodka but Oprah beat me to it.

Since it is a riff on Jagermeister you want it slightly mediciny/boozy.  But refined, something to enjoy on the beach.

I am riffing the classic Bicyclette

4 oz Campari

3 oz dry white wine (bone dry)

1 oz pomegranate juice. (this is your only sweetness here, adjust accordingly to taste)

Lemon peel for garnish.

Serve in standard beer mug.  With tons of ice.  And a Power Rangers straw.

• October 16, 2015 at 3:29 pm

or if you are straight up entertaining, serve in a chilled champagne glass.

• October 16, 2015 at 5:14 pm

@ ArnyB – Actually, I don’t drink hards at all, not even mixed down. And if I did, I wouldn’t choose Jagermeister, as it tastes like black licorice, which to me is like the candy “Anti-Christ”. lol

I like your Power Rangers straw idea though… nice finishing touch! LOL! Which reminds me, I need to go look for some Power Rangers men’s size underwear. That would go great with my Power Rangers bed sheets, as well as my Power Rangers shower curtain and matching bath towels. “Turn on shower… activate!” LOL!!!

Sounds like you used to be (or still are?) a bartender. Interesting play on the slang term “riffing”, which I normally only relate to in guitar speak, not mixology.

@ Andy – Never heard of the three knocks on the front door, but now THAT sounds way more spooky than the black moth visits! Dude, that would totally, totally FREAK ME OUT! {{WILLIES!!!!}}

What happens when walking across Kapiolani Park after midnight?

Another superstition I heard about regarding the recently departed, is the fragrant smell of flowers that wafts through the house (or a certain area), with no known explanation where it comes from. Diner A said he experienced that when one of his loved ones passed away a few years ago.

• October 16, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Pomai,    Also smelled roses after coming out of a restaurant after my girlfriend lost her son in a motorcycle accident in Florida, her sister did so also. But no weird stuff walking across the park at night. But my girlfriend Linda that worked the bar at The Rose and Crown used to tell me all about the Hawaiian Legions and that her Auntie had an encounter with Pele that used to freak me out and she knew it. So walking home to Diamond Head one night, with a full moon, an animal at the zoo roared and I almost crapped myself!!! Never will forget it. Reminded me of An American Werewolf in London!!!   Aloha.

• October 17, 2015 at 5:24 am

When I was younger I would bartend.  Just so I could chase ‘industry night’ specials.   And I still play a little guitar too.  “riffing’ is kinda my slang for trying something a little bit different and expressive.

• October 17, 2015 at 7:20 am

Arny,

Ironically — and perhaps even hypocritically — as a food blogger, I’ve never worked in the food and beverage industry at any time in my working life. Which actually I think is a good thing in that regard, in that I have a sort of perspective on restaurants and bars from a “naive child’s” point of view, vs. being a seasoned veteran, who can sometimes be bitter about it. So I appreciate food and the restaurant scene in general more more I think.

If you talk with some folks in the F&B industry, they’re just so “over it” and jaded, if you know what I mean. Not saying all, but some. Like seriously, I’ve been in restaurants taking photos of food, where some workers are like, “why is this guy so into the plates we’re serving?” To them, it’s just another day’s work. Yawn.

I’d actually probably be a terrible and unprofitable bartender, as I can never leave recipes alone, and will constantly add more of this or that to people’s drinks to make it “my own”. Not to mention, I’d pour “stiff” as much as possible. lol

• October 16, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Pomai,   Do you remember The Rose and Crown and Trappers?  That was a hangout almost every night. There were a lot of hangovers at JN Chevrolet that were epic!!!  Looking forward to moving back to the most beautiful place I have ever seen!!!

• October 16, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Andy,

Nope, don’t remember The Rose & Crown or Trappers. Before my time, I take it. Back in the late 80’s, there was a strip bar near “Koreamoku” Street called Club Rose. Does that ring a bell? lol

Never personally had any encounters with Madame Pele, unless you include the 2006 Earthquake, which pretty much shook the entire state. Probably the most famous of all is Saddle Road on the Big Island, where folks have said they picked up a hitch hiker woman, only to find her gone from the back seat midway down the road. Supposedly that’s Pele.

I actually never (knocks on wood, not front doors!) had any “real” supernatural encounters, such as seeing ghosts. I simply do not have that “6th sense”, as some folks do. My cousin has that “6th sense”, and at one time in his life, REFUSED to go to Queen’s Hospital, as he “seen” some pretty creepy stuff “walking down the hallway”, if you know what I mean. Of course, hospitals are a harbinger for what we’re talking about.

• October 17, 2015 at 1:22 pm

The Rose and Crown was my hangout also, when I lived on Oahu. Loved that place.

• October 16, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Pomai,   Trappers was under the Hyatt along with Spatts, saw all the gang from Magnum there once with my Ex on our honeymoon. Rose and Crown was behind it in Kings Village which is now a 50’s Do Wop malt shop, how sad. Only went to one men’s club there with my roommate, Pure Platinum. What was the name of the German restaurant in the Market Place, I think I met Brother IZ there before he got famous.

• October 16, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Pomai,   I heard of Saddle road on the big island. But I think she said something about Old Pali Lookout which I have been there but I would never would go alone again.   Just wanted to say I love your photos and I hope you post a lot more because it brings me closer to the island.  ALOHA AND MAHALO!!!!

• October 17, 2015 at 1:10 am

Andy,

Oh yeah, there’s so many urban legends about Old Pali Road on Oahu as well. Similar to that, there’s the one about driving through either the Wilson or Pali Tunnel to or from town to the windward side of Oahu, about not taking pork through there after midnight. Supposedly some claim while doing so, their vehicle stalled for unknown reasons. Back in the day, the “logical” explanation was that the high elevation up on the Pali caused the air-fuel mixture in the carburetor to become too rich (fuel-wise), hence an engine stall. Non-believers! lol

Regarding an old German eatery in King’s Village (behind the Hyatt Waikiki), I checked the “Oahu Eateries Memorialized” post, and nobody as of yet submitted any from there. The closest to there would have been HofbrauHaus in the Waikiki International Marketplace, which as you know has since been razed, and is currently under construction to become a completely new retail development project by Outrigger. Next time you visit Oahu, definitely check out Sky Waikiki, right below the Top of Waikiki revolving restaurant (then eat there too!). Pretty cool club, even for old guys like us. lol

If you were in the Oahu club scene when Spats Wakiki was around, then I’m guessing you’re somewhere in your 50s, as my sister, who’s around that age used to go there. I’m in my late 40s now. How about Bobby McGee’s by Sans Souci  (across Kapiolani Park by the water fountain)? Remember there? Dude, that club was THE club back in my day!

If you haven’t already, be sure to check out The Tasty Island’s “Oahu Eateries Memorialized“, as well as its sibling post, “Oahu Bars & Nightclubs Memorialized“. EPIC memories there! In fact, Rose and Crown and Trappers are listed on there already. However there isn’t much more details about those places, so if you have any to share, such as, oh say, that special drink they served, or particular live bands that played there, or some funky or memorable worker(s) and/or patrons that used to go there, please share them in comments in that post!

I’ll probably hit the Kaneohe Bay Air Show tomorrow for some photo ops. Same later in Waikiki for the Aloha Aina Block Party. Should be a fun day. ;-)

• October 17, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Pomai,    What a coincidence, I’m watching The Mothman Prophecies on Syfy right now!!!! WTF!!!!

• October 18, 2015 at 9:58 am

Andy,

I’ve got SyFy channel, however missed the airing last night. I’ll try catch it when it airs again. Read the synopsis of it, which indicates it’s a mystery thriller, and has nothing to do with moth superstitions.

• October 17, 2015 at 3:24 am

Pomai, I kind of scare of moths due to when my grandfather passed away

I start seeing a moth in the house.  Mom said some time love ones come

to visit in a another form the family members.

• October 17, 2015 at 7:28 am

Kelike,

Ah, so you’ve experienced it as well. I couldn’t find a specific ethnic source to the moth superstition, however from what I’m aware of, many asian cultures observe it, including the Chinese and Filipinos.

• October 17, 2015 at 8:05 am

I have experience it also.  When my father shall we say gone to after life

strange things happen at home.   Phone will ring and would say phone

numbers unknown.  This happen first month he passed away then it stop.

When his sisters came to visited us boy, did he dislike them when he was

alive.  Things started to fall down from the wall and chairs too.  He wanted

them to leave which they did fast.  Moth was in the house for a month and

now gone.  Father must be at peace/