Six-Part Series Premieres Friday, October 23, at 10 PM ET/PT on Discovery

Beneath the pristine waters of Hawaii, ancient volcanoes have forged steep underwater cliffs, resulting in the best deep-sea fishing in the world. For centuries, generations of Hawaiians have caught these monster fish from small, hand-made canoes, using nothing more than a fishing pole and their bare hands. Now, a rare breed of men and women – armed with just a sea kayak – are re-inventing this ancient art, and risking their lives to catch 100-plus pound fish. One fresh catch can reel in $1,500 dollars or more; but big rewards bring stiff competition. PACIFIC WARRIORS, an all-new series premiering Friday, October 23, at 10 PM ET/PT on the Discovery Channel, follows these brave adventurers who will stop at nothing to bring in their prize. The series is produced by Original Media.

Though these men and women survive and thrive by living off the ocean, kayak fishing is not for the faint of heart; even the slightest mistake can invite deadly consequences. The series follows seven teams as they train and battle it out on the rough waters. Using primitive means, the fearless fishermen and women are regularly taken on what they call “Hawaiian Sleigh Rides,” which occur when they hook monster fish that drag them out to sea – sometimes as much as 10 miles or more. They also fend off sharks regularly, deeming them “tax men,” which are looking for an easy meal.

Each fishing expert brings his or her own techniques and expertise to the craft. Veteran fisherwoman Kimi Werner’s style of kayak fishing is one of the most dangerous. Unlike the others, Kimi goes straight to the source by “free diving” to depths of 150 feet, where she hunts down her prey.

“Though being brave is part of the job, having an appropriate amount of fear and trepidation is healthy, and is what keeps me alive,” Kimi said. “It reminds me that I’m really so small and humbled in this big ocean. I think the people who forget that are the ones who end up in danger.”

The last pioneers of this ancient art face brutal conditions and bloodthirsty predators. Man versus fish is in their DNA; despite the risks, Pacific Warriors live for the moment when they hook their catch.

PACIFIC WARRIORS is produced for Discovery Channel by Original Media. For Original Media, Executive Producers are Glenda Hersh, Steven Weinstock, Lisa Bloch, Peter Goetz, Kelly Hefner and Bryan Severance. For Discovery Channel, Executive Producers are Joseph Schneier and Christo Doyle. To learn more, go to www.discovery.com, on Facebook at Facebook.com/discovery and on Twitter @Discovery.

About Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 100.8 million U.S. homes, can be seen in 224 countries and territories, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com

About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. For 30 years Discovery has been dedicated to satisfying curiosity and entertaining viewers with high-quality content through its global television brands, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Discovery controls Eurosport, the leading pan-regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education, and a digital leader with a diversified online portfolio, including Discovery Digital Networks. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.

About Original Media
Original Media is a subsidiary of Endemol Shine North America and is run by Emmy award-winning producers Glenda Hersh and Steven Weinstock. Producing hundreds of hours of programming across unscripted and scripted television, digital media and feature film, Original Media has built a strong reputation for cutting-edge content and quality production. Hit series include “Swamp People,” “Dual Survival,” “Ink Master,” “Comic Book Men” and “I Love You But I Lied.” Original Media also produced the Academy Award-nominated films “The Squid and the Whale” and “Half Nelson.”

*This press release has been provided directly to The Tasty Island via Phil Zimmerman, Communications Director of the Discovery Channel.

P.S. Bonus points if you can tell us what exactly this is and where exactly it’s from (hint: Oahu hobby store neighbor)…

10 thoughts on “New Discovery Channel Series “PACIFIC WARRIORS” Heads to Hawaii to Reveal the Adrenaline-fueled World of Kayak Fishing

• September 30, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Looks like dried aku belly. I would have no idea where from.

• October 1, 2015 at 4:57 am

@ Pat – All Azama’s describes it as is “Dried Aku”, not specifying what part. However now that you mention it, it could perhaps be just the belly part, as there really is this “richness” about it. I’ll call and ask.

IIRC, you were in on the conversation we once had in comments here about how scare Aku (Skipjack Tuna) is nowadays. Not sure if it’s because Aku is overfished, lack of demand, lack of Aku boats (a very unique sampan design!), or all of the above.

Once in a while Don Quijote brings it in, but I’ve NEVER seen Aku in Safeway or Foodland. I remember back in the 70s and 80s, that’s all had in the markets was Aku. IIRC, Ahi wasn’t as commonly sold back then (it was probably all going to Japan).

Now that I think about it, I hope these Kayak fishermen catch some Aku in the show. That’d be way cool.

Dang, all this talkin’ about it, I like eat some Dry Aku now… and it’s 5am in the morning! lol

• September 30, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Must be dry aku from Azama.

• October 1, 2015 at 4:26 am

@ Kyle K – Yes, sir! By far THE BEST Dry Aku I’ve EVER had. Period. Da’ Bes’!!! Azama K Fish Wholesale is located in such an unassuming, beaten-looking little shop just a few steps makai of Hobbietat on 10th Avenue in Palolo Valley. It’s not even a “shop”, but more like a storage room with a small work area that “mama-san” uses to prepare fresh-made Laulau, Fried Fish Cakes and other full-on local-kine specialty seafood treats. While I haven’t tried it yet, I hear their Laulau is ONO.

Yet to me the star of Azama’s is their Dry Aku. It ain’t cheap, running $25/pound, where about $10 worth will yield you “just a few medium sized dry aku sticks”. But oh boy are even just those few sticks like GOLD.

Next time you hit Your Kitchen (also right along that row of businesses) for their amazing Kakuni Gohan Bowl and fresh fruit Shave Ice, spare about $10 extra bucks for some dry aku from Azama’s right up the street. You’ll thank me later!

• October 1, 2015 at 8:34 am

I picked up a pound of dried aku from Azama a while back and I ended up eating almost all of it by myself over a couple of days.  Great stuff and a real treat that brought back fond memories of earlier, perhaps better (for sure simpler) days.  Every time I read about places like this in your blog it puts a bug in my head and I know I’ll end up going there soon.

• November 5, 2015 at 2:17 pm

DISCOVERY’S ‘PACIFIC WARRIORS’ BATTLE SEA CREATURES AND ROUGH WATERS IN HAWAII

AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF ‘PACIFIC WARRIORS’

AIRING FRIDAY, NOV. 6 at 10:00 PM ET/PT ON DISCOVERY

SNEAK PEEK CLIP:

Dangerous Reefs | Pacific Warriors

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1fWlCFEC5s

PACIFIC WARRIORS (Series Premiere)

Friday, Nov. 6 (10:00-11:00 PM ET/PT) on Discovery

Heart of Darkness: Jon Jon must impress a local to gain access to a secret marlin hunting ground; Isaac braves Oahu’s jungles to reach a Mahi treasure trove; Adam and Jason battle Kauai’s unforgiving seas; and Kimi hunts an invasive species that’s threatening her food supply.

• November 6, 2015 at 3:18 am

I know I have been away from Hawaii for over 34 years now, but I never would have thought there would be those types of kayak fishermen or fisherwoman in waters off the islands.

I have now watched 3 episodes on TV and am impressed with the way they fish and what they catch. Although I could be wrong, it looks from the videos that they are not that far offshore — maybe 3-4 miles and they are catching nice sized ahis. Of course they are using live bait and I am sure that helps a lot.

I am impressed with that gal, Kimi, who seems to go spearfishing alone in her kayak….maybe I am just a skeptic, but I find it difficult to believe that she can hold her breath while free diving for 5 minutes.

And I also think that the program seriously overestimates the dollars the guys get from their catch — especially when they catch ahi.

All-in-all, I am impressed and like the program very much. I remember catching all that kind of stuff from my boat back in the day when I was an avid deep sea fisherman and bottom fishing guy!

• November 7, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Hi Pomai,

Pacific Warriors.  Known fact : Jon Jon of Maui was a

waiter back in the days at Nicks Fishmarket on Maui

and FORD car salesman before becoming a kayak

fisherman.  Good job Jon Jon.

salamat po

• November 7, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Diner E-DC,

Oh man, do I remember our opulent dinner at Nick’s Fishmarket at the Kealani Resort. AWESOME, thanks to YOU!

The NIck’s Fishmarket location in Waikiki reopened (again) as some sort of “breakfast diner”, however I haven’t tried it yet. Interestingly, to this day, they never did take down the Nick’s Fishmarket sign, even after it was a bar named “Bambooze” (IIRC, same owners as PlayBar Waikiki, formerly known as Scruples on Kuhio Ave).

• November 29, 2015 at 12:20 am

Unrealistic show. It does disservice to real Hawaiians.