Ala Moana Opening 30 New Stores November 12th

Many of you Honolulu folks are probably already eMail subscribers and/or social media followers of Ala Moana Center. However for those of you who aren’t, Ala Moana just sent out an announcement on the opening of 30 new stores, coming soon this November 12th, rolling out the expansion of their new Ewa Wing.

NEW STORES COMING TO THE EXPANSION:

Shoe Palace
Skechers
Toys “R” Us Express

COMING SOON
Longines

JAPAN VILLAGE WALK

You may also be aware that Shirokiya (always been one of my faves there!) will be moving to the new Ewa Wing with a $35 million project that will be called Japan Village Walk, featuring over 60 vendors — up from their current 25 vendors in the Yataimura Food Court — and will occupy over 55,000 square feet of space. Learn more about that in this KHON2 news feature.

More…

In case you haven’t already heard, then there’s Facebook Extraordinaire Mark Zuckerberg, who is said to have purchased one half of the entire top floor of penthouse suites at One Ala Moana, a new condo’ built atop Nordstrom, on the Mauka-Diamond Head side of the center, right behind Shirokiya and Macy’s.

Gosh, what a seemingly short, yet long way AMC has come from its original “old school days” of the likes of India Imports, Crack Seed Center, Patti’s Chinese Kitchen, and of course Sears.

Related links:
Ala Moana Center – Wikipedia
Ala Moana Center (tagged articles) – Midlife Crisis Hawaii by Rodney Lee
Aloha ‘Oe Sears Ala Moana – The Tasty Island

10 thoughts on “Ala Moana Opening 30 New Stores November 12th

• September 22, 2015 at 12:13 pm

So is Shirokiya is abandoning their current location and relocating entirely to the new wing?

• September 22, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I was going to ask the same thing.  I thought they were going to keep the current location and open the new food village as well.

• September 22, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I look forward to the Japanese Village Walk.And speaking of old time Ala Moana, must add Lynn’s Deli, where most of us had our first pastrami, and the still around Ala Moana Poi Bowl, my go to take out even today.

• September 22, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I forgot to add, I miss Wong’s Okazuya and Petland!

• September 23, 2015 at 6:51 am

Sad I will miss this by a few days as I am only in Oahu from Nov 4-10. But then I realized the new Shirokiya Village Walk won’t be opening until 2016 anyways, which is what I am most excited about! Looks like a return trip next year is in order!

• September 23, 2015 at 8:34 am

@ Su-Lynn – Perhaps they might have “soft” openings for the tenants before November 12th that you’ll be able to check out. I was just in Ala Moana Center yesterday, and they already took down the main barricade to the Ewa Wing, so it looks like they’re on schedule.

@ David and Pat – make sure to check Rodney’s Midlife Crisis Hawaii posts on Ala Moana Center. Got all the old school tenants covered!

@ Debbie-Chan and David – yes Shirokiya is moving completely. Their current (long-occupied) location near Macy’s is going to be subdivided into multiple tenants from what I understand. If you go into Shirokiya now, it already is just a “shell” of its former self, with most of the tenants on the ground floor being third-party vendors, not staff of Shirokiya.

Speaking of which, do you remember when the Mitsukoshi building was originally Mistukoshi Department Store in Waikiki (where Planet Hollywood used to be)? I only vaguely remember going there as a young teenager to play video games.

• September 28, 2015 at 8:07 am

I absolutely remember Mistukoshi in Waikiki – wasn’t there some weird feature where it looked like there was a waterfall in between the windows on the ground floor?  That store was several stories if I remember, and yes, there was an arcade there.

• September 23, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Wow, truly the end of an era with Shirokiya moving! You’re right, when I come home and visit it doesn’t feel the same in there. Looking forward to the new location, though I’ll always miss Liberty House, Sears, and now the “old”

Shirokiya. LOL

• September 23, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Angela,

Better than CLOSED. And better yet, Shirokiya decided to reinvent themselves as a “foodie” destination! Gotta’ LOVE that, right?!!!

I was just in Yataimura Food Court this afternoon after work (I’m a regular there on Tuesdays and Wednesdays), and it was pretty much business as usual. No major changes, as they don’t plan their move until next year (2016) some time.

I had a long (yet somewhat shallow) discussion with one of their security guards this afternoon, which like other employees there, they’re pretty much all “out of the loop” as far as the inside scoops on who’s going where and what after the final Ewa Wing opens. At least as far as who’s under Shirokiya’s current proverbial “roof”.

One thing’s for certain: Vintage Cave isn’t going ANYWHERE after Shirokiya departs, so plan on that space when it’s vacant working around/leading into/upon Vintage Cave? (high-end boutique tenants)

>>>PB hi!