Hawaii Guri Guri Day

Tasaka Guri Guri “Maui Sherbert” 2 scoops (1 strawberry, 1 pineapple)

Today, July 23rd, the 3rd Sunday of July, is officially National Ice Cream Day, proclaimed by President Ronald Reagan in 1984.

In honor of this most deliciously cold ‘n creamy holiday, The Tasty Island Honolulu Food Blog hereby also proclaims every third Sunday of July, Hawaii Guri Guri Day. Yay!

Guri Guri, a.k.a. “Goody Goody” is most famously known from Tasaka Guri Guri in Kahului, Maui, where if you ever visit the Valley Isle, you absolutely MUST try it. You MUST!!! That’s the only place in the WORLD you can get the REAL DEAL GURI GURI, is from Tasaka’s!

Guri Guri is what some say is a “Japanese style Sherbert”, and Tasaka’s only has two flavors: Strawberry and Pineapple. That’s it. Classic!

Guri Guri has a very unique fruity, rich, sweet and creamy flavor and interesting texture that really is like a cross between ice cream and sherbert, hence, “Japanese style sherbert”. Again, you MUST try Tasaka Guri Guri when you visit Maui. Must!

With that, here’s a complete repost of The Tasty Island’s visit to Tasaka Guri Guri. Enjoy!

Tasaka Guri Guri “Maui Sherbert” 2 scoops (1 strawberry, 1 pineapple)

Just like you remember it, they still serve only two flavors: strawberry and pineapple. This two-scoop cup was a just $1.10, with more scoops of Guri Guri than that asking for not much more. What an amazing value considering how rare this treat is, added to that, the otherwise mostly high cost of just about everything else on Maui, save for a few more budget-friendly places I’ll get to later.

Here under the scoop of strawberry is a scoop of pineapple…

Ice cold ‘n creamy-fruity good, with that unique powdery, crystallized texture that plays tricks on you, as if a shave ice cart and ice cream truck had a simultaneous head-on collision into your tongue.

Here’s Henry Tasaka, grandson of the founder, giving a big shaka…

In that photo, notice the (amazing) price list, as well as the bags of Kitch’n Cook’d Maui Potato Chips on the front counter.

While those CURRENT prices may remind us of the good old days, one thing that many do miss that Tasaka doesn’t offer anymore is Azuki beans to go with your Guri Guri. According to the girl working there, Tasaka’s hasn’t offered Azuki beans with their Guri Guri for more than 20 years now.

Oh well, at least the original secret recipe of the Guri Guri itself is still intact and taste just as ono today as I remember eating it as a kid when we used to visit Maui way-way-way back when.

Tasaka’s one and only shop in the Maui Mall used to be open air, but they’ve since enclosed it…

Tasaka Guri Guri prices are currently as followed (choose Strawberry and/or Pineapple flavor):
• 2 scoops – $1.10
• 3 scoops – $1.65
• 4 scoops – $2.10
• 5 scoops – $2.55

Take-out containers are available in 2-quart sizes at $11 each, frozen (solid), and will keep for up to 2-1/2 hours out of freezer (best if kept in a thermal bag or cooler with blue ice packs). If you plan to take this on an aircraft, it must be packed properly for check-in, as carry-on is not allowed for this item.

Tasaka Guri Guri T-Shirts are also available.

So next time you visit Maui, if you haven’t already done so, put Tasaka Guri Guri on your MUST-GRIND list. Not only is it a delicious and refreshing treat to beat the summer heat, it’s an old school gem unique to the island of Maui that can’t be found anywhere else, making it that much more worth savoring every moment of each spoonful.

Tasaka Guri Guri
Maui Mall
Kahului, HI 96732
(808) 871-4513

P.S. Diner A’s wife’s homemade Guri Guri recipe!

Diner CY’s ono home-made Strawberry Guri-Guri.  Photo courtesy of Diner A’s iPhone.

As you know, Guri Guri is that delicious plantation-style “sherbert” made famous by Maui’s own Tasaka Guri Guri shop in Kahului in the Maui Mall.

There’s a number of home-made Guri Guri recipes floating around the web, all using pretty much the same or similar ingredients in varying ratios.

Reid over at Ono Kine suggests using two 12 oz. cans strawberry guava juice, one 12 oz. can 7 UP and one 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk.

While one guy on YouTube makes Guri-Guri using one 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk, one 12 oz. can of sprite (or 7 UP), and just one 12 oz. serving of your favorite juice; where in his demo’, he used POG (Passion Orange Guava juice).

Of course, the condensed milk is the key ingredient in what makes this frozen dessert unique and oh so good.

Here’s Diner A’s wife’s recipe:

Home-made Guri Guri
One 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
One 12 oz. can 7 Up (highly recommended; don’t use diet 7 Up or Sprite)
Two 12 oz. cans Strawberry Soda (any brand; note, she INSISTS on using Strawberry and no other flavor)

Combine all ingredients thoroughly in a sturdy mixing bowl that will fit in your freezer. Place in freezer for approx. 2-3 hours, or however long it takes to reach the point that it’s semi-frozen. Remove, stir thoroughly, then place back in freezer overnight. Remove and stir again until Guri-Guri reaches a “scoopable” consistency. Place back in freezer until ready for service.

I have tasted Diner A’s wife’s home-made Guri Guri before and have to say, while not exactly like the original Tasaka Guri Guri, it’s pretty darned close and really ono. Certainly passable for being home-made, with a very similar type of creamy/icy texture and also creamy-fruity, strawberry-good flavor.

Diner A noted that everytime they bring this to their family gatherings, the kids as well the adults quickly wipe the entire bowl out. So there you go, a guaranteed pot lock favorite right here with this home-made Guri Guri.

Reid of Ono Kine Grindz suggested in his notes that an automatic ice cream maker could be used to prepare home-made Guri Guri, which I think is a really good idea!

19 thoughts on “Hawaii Guri Guri Day

• July 19, 2015 at 6:04 pm

No fair showing me Guri Guri when there isn’t any left in the freezer and I’m a 6-hour flight away from it! I haven’t found anything like it on the mainland.

• July 19, 2015 at 6:24 pm

sjthespian,

Wow, you actually took home Tasaka Guri Guri with you on the plane all the way back to the west coast? My folks used to always do that from Maui to Oahu, but myself? Nah, I wouldn’t go through the hassle of packing dry ice in a cooler to get it home intact. Speaking of which, I never did ask if they offer special containers for air travel. I’ll try calling them tomorrow to find out.

Try making Diner A’s wife’s recipe for Guri Guri featured in the postscript. It’s pretty dang close to the original. While I’ve never personally tried it, if you have one, try adding the soda and condensed milk mixture into an ice cream machine. I’m willing to bet the churning will give it a much better texture than hand-mixing it in a bowl during the freezing process.

• July 20, 2015 at 11:02 am

We’ll have to give the recipe a try, especially since we usually head to Oahu rather than Maui.

If I remember correctly, the last time we brought some back to the mainland we froze it solid in the fridge in our hotel room first. Then it was packed in a cooler with a couple of gallons of frozen pog, a few pounds of frozen poi, a couple of frozen Redondo’s Portuguese sausages and very likely some frozen lau lau. There was enough mass in the cooler that most of it was still frozen when we got it home.

• July 19, 2015 at 6:18 pm

National Ice Cream Day!!!!!

Back in RI I would be traveling to my most favorite homemade ice cream dairy farms located in Massachusetts. Yes RI had ice cream stores but they couldn’t top my two favorite in MA. for flavors and price. The closest was Crescent Ridge Dairy about 30 min away and they were open year round and even still make home deliveries in glass bottles of their milk. Their homemade ice cream has a distinct light texture and intense flavor. National Geographic has twice named Crescent Ridge one of the 10 Best Ice Creams in the World in its “The 10 Best of Everything: An Ultimate Guide for Travelers.” They have been in business since 1932. One hour drive away was Kimball Farm. Their homemade ice cream was heavier with cream but they served outrageous portions for what you ordered and paid for. Large cup had over a pint of ice cream for $3.75 and banana split fed two people for $5.25. Kimball Farm has 12 serving windows and any time of the day you’ll find a line at each window. Kimball Farm is also a destination with petting zoo, snack bar, seafood restaurant, mini and pitch n’ putt golf course, driving range, batting cages etc. Kimball Fam has been in business 75 years.

• July 19, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Ken,

Wow, aren’t we excited about ice cream? I bet half of your freezer is filled with ice cream, and the other half with sausages and other meats from the east coast. I’m right, right? LOL!

All those places you mentioned sound fantastic. Is there any favorite ice cream shop you like here on Oahu? If you haven’t yet, try Bubbies Homemade Ice Cream  (the nearest one to you would be in Aiea, while I usually hit the Koko Marina location). Excellent! In fact, since I haven’t yet, I shall blog Bubbies very soon!

Hey, since you’re such the kitchen gadget guy, do you by any chance have a good ice cream machine? Or is there one you recommend? And no, don’t go telling me to spend $1000 on on one. A model within reason that’s also fairly compact.

• July 19, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Hi Pomai:

Yessss. Ice cream. Mmmmmmm. Frozen yogurt, sorbet, guri guri.
        All can be made at home, using your best ingredients.
        I have a double bowled Cuisinart automatic ice cream maker. They don’t make it
        anymore, but it’s good quality and easy to use/clean. Cuisinart has an even better one out right now. ICE-100 that does NOT require you to pre-freeze the bowl.  This model is about $300 but sounds really good quality. Cuisinart has their ICE-30BC model but you have to pre-freeze the bowl.
        You can find SO many recipes on the web, think Martha Stewart, Food Network, etc.

You should avoid the ones that require salt or ice.  Too messy, too much hassle.

As for local guri-guri back in the day. I remember getting ours at a sidewalk shop a block
        from Puck’s Alley, across from Star Market, near the old-time mochi/candy store.
        The guri-guri shop was on South King, near Hausten.  Does that sound familiar?
        I just remember going there on especially hot nights with my family and sitting on the park
        benches out front.  I recall it being better than Tasaka.

Also going to Kahala Mall when growing up, to Ed & Dons which was next to a Star Market, coincidentally.  I don’ think E&D was the best quality but the experience and the shop’s look & feel made it fun.  Oh, Farrel’s, also in Kahala Mall.  That was great growing up. On your BD they’d make that HUGE fuss and literally run your BD sundae to your table with such loud fanfare. Farrel’s for the ice cream but also to get their hot dogs & french fries and wash down with a Green River. Then ice cream to complete the experience.

Hope you get an ice cream maker and then you can post all your homemade frozen experiments for us.

Thanks Pomai!

• July 19, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Mimi,

Mahalos for the recommendation on the Cuisinart ICE-100 model. That’s pretty much what I had in mind, being it has its own built-in compressor, and it’s quite compact. PERFECT.

To the best of my memory, I don’t ever recall anywhere on Oahu serving Guri Guri, let alone “better” than Tasaka’s on Maui. It was always Tasaka’s, IIRC.

You do know the old Star Market in Mo’ili’ili (that name always tongue-twists me when I try to type it) is now a Longs Drugs CVS store.

Regarding Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor, I think I’ve pretty much covered them in past posts, when they were located in the Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center.

Back then (when I was a small keed), Farrell’s birthday party ice cream was simply named “The Zoo”, piled high with ice cream sundae stuff, carried by two servers in a special wood holder, which they ran around the restaurant, then to your table like there was an “emergency”, with the whole drum and siren fire alarm intro’. Classic!

• July 20, 2015 at 9:26 am

Goodie Goodie Drive-In at King and Coolidge had excellent guri-guri. A strawberry slush float from Zippy’s is the closest substitute for the real thing.

• July 20, 2015 at 11:47 am

Pomai:

Steve just mentioned the exact place I was referencing. S. King & Coolidge (that’s one block parallel to Hausten) so it is definitely the place.  Of course, Goodie Goodie Drive-in.  Now that reminds me – it is the name.  It was JUST a guri-guri place. Nothing else, I don’t think.  I mean, I don’t think they had hamburgers or fries or anything, but guri-guri. One track minded sales strategy. Do one thing and do it well.  It really truly was better than Tasaka’s (no offense) but it was smooth, no iciness, no clumps, very very smooth like sherbet and great not-too-sweet/syrupy flavors or artificial after-taste.  Extremely mom & pop shop. No more than a half block away from the mochi/candy/crackseed store same side of S. King.  Your blog always makes me reminisce and home sick for those way-back time machine moments.  Don’t even get us started on the cracked seed and candy stores of olden days.  We could do months of blogging on that.

I had forgotten the name of the Farrel’s BD sundae, but you had it The Zoo. This talk of all things old and ice cream for some reason made me think of Checkers & Pogo Show. Do you remember? I’m SO SURE YOU went on that show in your time as a keiki. I know it!  They did that segment called Merry Very Unbirthday or something like that. Growing up in Hawaii early 70’s was truly the things of magic. Very idyllic.

Back to ice cream. Definitely feel confident about the Cuisinart you were eyeballing. That is a good mid-range ($300) model and great name brand. If you ever need a part they are easy to replace, unlike for example one of those Italian imported ones. Those are temperamental and parts/service, not good.  Avoid the ice/salt required models at all costs; or the hand-cranking ones.  Make it easy on yourself, the no-freeze-bowl, the way to go.

You can make a simple vanilla base and then throw in things like mango, bananas, papaya.  Or get some sweet ripe cantaloup or watermelon and make a sherbet.  It might spoil you from gettiing ice cream at a retail place, ever again. I live in California now. The ice cream craze has gone very gourmet.  They make VERY high quality, small batches in extremely boutique ice cream shops and charge a lot of $$ for it. A large cup of the good stuff will cost you $7 give or take.  Just ice cream, in a cup.  The lines are 2 blocks long. People here, very serious about their ice cream if made well, they will come. But the flavors are pretty amazing:  Avocado, Black sesame, Buttermilk, Butternut squash, Butternut curry, Chinese 5-spice, Sweet corn, Sunflower seed butter; to name a few.

It was once so simple. I do have the fondest memories of the Baskin-Robbins (then) in Puck’s Alley and getting their basic mint chocolate chip in a cup. Nothing fancy, but perfect nonetheless.

Thanks for your great blog and all you do Pomai!

• July 19, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Only have 1 qt. of ice cream in freezer.

I’m spoiled when it comes to ice cream because I use to go right to the dairy farms that had ice cream stands and you can’t get any fresher than that! I tried one ice cream stand in Pearl Ridge shopping mall downtown and it was OK nothing great.

I use to have a Nostalgia Electrics Old Fashioned Wood Ice Cream Maker that I made ice cream in but you need to have a supply of “rock salt” and “crushed ice” to make the cooling brine. Bed Bath and Beyond sells them for about $49.95 MSRP. All ice cream makers make a soft ice cream which you have to put in the freezer to harden.

A little easier and less messy is Cuisinart® Pure Indulgence™ 2 Qt. Frozen Yogurt-Sorbet & Ice Cream Maker $89.95 MSRP. It has a work bowl that you put in your freezer for 6 to 22 hrs. to freeze the internal cooling gel liquid. It makes ice cream in 22 minutes. I am thinking about getting the 2 Qt. ice cream maker attachment to my KitchenAid stand mixer that works on the same principle as the Cuisinart but it cost $99.99 MSRP.

Here is a $1,000 very compact ice cream maker; when all else fails make ice cream in five minutes by filling half-way up a gal. Ziploc bag with ice cubes, pour about 6 tablespoons of Kosher salt over ice to make a cooling brine. In a 1 pint Ziploc bag add 1 tablespoon sugar, ½ cup milk, cream, or half and half (milk will provide a less rich, lower calorie ice cream, while using heavy cream will have the opposite effect) and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (or other flavoring). Seal the bag and nestle it into the ice (make sure it is surrounded by the ice) and seal the gal. bag. You might want to use a towel to keep your hands from getting too cold now vigorously shake the gal bag for about five minutes. Open gal. bag, remove pint bag open and eat your ice cream or put in freezer to harden and then eat. My wife when she was alive and teaching would show her students how to make ice cream in class as a science lesson using this method and the kids loved it!

• July 20, 2015 at 8:07 pm

The Cuisinart public rankings are 1st place ICE-70 2qt. at $139.00 MSRP, 2nd place ICE-30BC 2qt. at $89.95 MSRP and 3rd place ICE-100 1.5qt. at $299.00 according to Amazon. I think the reason ICE-100 is ranked so low is because it is the largest and heaviest due to being a built-in compressor ice cream maker measuring 16”x12”x9” weighing 32 lbs. but only makes 1.5 qt. also one fault (continuous beeping for 30 sec. during mixing) requires you shut off ICE-100 for 2 hrs. and if it happens again do not use ICE-100  for 24 hrs. You can go to http://www.cuisinart.com and read each model owner’s manual plus ice cream recipes.

Don’t get me wrong Cuisinart has some of the highest rankings for home ice cream makers. However there are procedures you must follow in making ice cream as you must freeze the work bowl before use and use cold refrigerated ingredients to make the ice cream (whole milk makes light ice cream, 2% milk makes diet ice cream, half and half makes heavy ice cream and using all cream makes heavy old fashion ice cream) you can mix milk and cream to get your preferred butter fat content for richness plus you can purée fresh fruits and add chunks of fruits, nuts and other flavorings to your ice cream. One very important thing to remember is ice cream makers make “soft ice cream” and you must freeze the ice cream to harden it in an air tight container not in mixing work bowl weather you are using an industrial/commercial or home ice cream maker. Your wild brain is your creative pallet for your own ice cream creations.

• July 21, 2015 at 12:39 am

Ken,

Dang, as always, you’re such a wealth of information, and I really appreciate your VERY thorough comments!

I went through the comments of the Cuisinart models you mentioned on Amazon, and sounds like either the ICE-70 or ICE-30BC would be a good model to get. Regardless if they rquire freezing the basket first, they do get the job done. It’s a good way to get started, and if I find myself really getting into making my own ice creams, then later I’ll invest in a compressor unit.

What’s perfect is, I can use my NutriNinja to puree fruits to add to the ice cream.

Initially, I’m most interested to see how well one of these ice cream makers will make homemade Guri Guri, where I’ll be experimenting with real juices instead of soda pop (uggh) to combine with the condensed milk. Use real juice and soda water, as I’m thinking it still needs the carbonation for the unique texture of guri guri, which is more delicately crystalized than strictly dairy-based ice cream.

• July 21, 2015 at 6:20 am

Check out America’s Test Kitchen for more reviews on ice cream makers. They did some testing on the ones where the bowl moves vs. the ones where the paddle moves. From what I remember, the ones where the bowl spins gives you a better texture if you eat it within a day or two, but results in more ice crystals if you try and store the ice cream longer than that.

• July 20, 2015 at 5:19 pm

@ Steve – Ah, Goodie Goodie Drive-In. I’ll have to add them to the “Oahu Eateries Memorialized” list. I very vaguely remember them. I don’t ever recall my folks taking me there, only remembering eating Guri Guri from Tasaka’s whenever we or they would fly to Maui.

@ Mimi – Yes, me and my two neighbors got on the Checkers & Pogo show when we were around 7 years old, IIRC. And we participated in the pie eating contest. I forget who got picked to “pie” Pogo in the face.

Costco has the Cuisinart motorized ice cream maker that you have to freeze the bowl (no compressor), which is very reasonably priced. I might try that one first just to check the results. Costco has a good return policy. ;-)

One of the craziest ice cream flavors I ever seen done (on TV) was raw trout ice cream, garnished with blueberries, bananas, and a crispy twist of fried trout skin, made by Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai.

• July 20, 2015 at 5:36 pm

If you ever get a chance to meet Alton Brown, ask him about Sakai’s trout ice cream. It’s the reason he no longer tastes any of the food on Iron Chef America…

• July 21, 2015 at 12:47 am

sjthespian,

I tried Googling for your reference on Alton Brown’s thoughts on ICA, regarding Sakai’s Trout Ice Cream, to no avail. Now I’m really curious as to what and why! Was he that repulsed by Sakai’s Raw Trout Ice Cream? Or was that more because he felt the Japanese Iron Chefs are far superior than the any of the ones from the US?

I do know one thing for sure, in general, most Japanese Chefs will run CIRCLES around Chefs not just in the US, but anywhere else the WORLD when it comes to preparing SEAFOOD. They are MASTERS at that craft.

BTW, Alton Brown’s Good Eats is still one of my favorite Food Network programs. I wish he’d make more new episodes. I really don’t care for all these new highly commercialized programs Food Network is doing now. They’re doing what MTV did, where it’s not as much a cooking show channel anymore, but more “reality kitchen” TV. Actually, they might as well rename the Food Network “The Bobby Flay Channel”. Sigh.

• July 21, 2015 at 6:10 am

Odd, it will let me reply to my comment but not yours…

From what I remember (and this was from a Q&A at a book signing many years ago) Alton said something like:

As soon as you put it in your mouth and tasted it, you knew you had made a mistake. However, with Sakai right there you couldn’t spit it out, so you had to swallow it. Then you continued to taste it for the rest of the day.

That was almost as good as someone asking him what he thought of Rachael Ray and him responding “who?”. :-)

• July 19, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Whoah!!!!!!!!!!

Totally INSANE video footage, and right on to professional Australian surfer Mick Fanning for making it through this!!!..

• July 20, 2015 at 12:00 am

I remember my mom told of having Goody Goody ice cream on Oahu. She

was a kid that time.so grandmother brought for the family.  I will try make

some .