Subway Binge

As mentioned before, I go on eating binges. Not in the sense of eating until I drop, but craving the same food day after day. I’ll binge on eating, say, saimin every day until I get sick of it, then don’t want to see saimin for at least a month after that, if not longer. Same goes for Shrimp Cocktail, Steak, Poke, Tofu, Boiled Peanuts, Tsukemono, to a bunch of other similar weird or obscure food cravings on a daily basis.

Subway bust of Marcus Mariota, Oregon Ducks QB Heisman Trophy winner and St. Louis Alumni

My latest “binge” being for some strange reason, are Subway sandwiches. And no — unlike local boy Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota — Subway isn’t paying me to endorse this message… which would be nice!

That said, I admittedly have always LOVED Subway, mainly because of their fresh-baked bread, that makes ALL the difference. Above is my go-to fave’, the one, the only, Cold Cut Combo’, pretty much loaded with everything you can throw on it and dragged through the garden:

• Italian Bread
  • Cold  Cut combo’ deli meats
  • Pepperjack Cheese
  • Deli mustard ‘n mayo’
  • ALL THE VEGGIES, including peppers, olives and whatever other “shinnanigans” they’ve got on deck
  • Oil ‘n Vinegar
  • Salt ‘n Pep’
  • Parmesan

Done. Yes! Bring it!

Next day, rollin’ another foot long’r, this time the “BMT”, with all the same bread ‘n toppings for the Cold Cut Combo’ previously featured.

You know which Subway sandwich I really miss, is the Crab & Seafood Salad. I used to LOVE that! Guess Subway felt that was “too healthy for the masses”. lol

A Saigon Sub Kick

Whiat I really think Subway should do is Vietnamese-French style Banh Mi. OMG, a Subway foot long Banh Mi, complete with the pickled Daikon and carrots would be so rockin’ it!

Are you a Subway “sammy” fan? If so, which ones, and what bread, cheese, veggies and other toppings are your faves? Prefer it toasted or straight up?

Dang, I sure could go for another Sub’ right about now!

15 thoughts on “Subway Binge

• June 27, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Oh yeah, that crab & seafood was my favorite.  Like you, I usually get a cold cut combo now, but on honey oat.

• June 27, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Kyle,

I really don’t find their various bread options make all that much difference in the overall “experience” (because it should be) of the sandwich, being they’re all pretty similar in texture and flavor profile, even the one with the “cheese” on it. At least, that’s been my impression. However, I never did try the flat bread version.

It would be cool if they offered dark rye, sourdough, and also a Portuguese style sweet bread bun.

• June 27, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Oh yea I’m a binge craver too, luckily I finally got over my Subway’s binge, now into burgers, specifically Burger King’s. I make my own Vietnamese sandwich by buying the pickled daikon and carrot at La Tour at the farmer’s market ($5 for a bowl) and w/ Chinese parsley make my own w/ whatever meat…buy one small hoagie at Safeway if I want it exactly. Otherwise just regular Japanese bread. Ummm, good.

• June 27, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Subway was a favorite of mine and I loved the Italian B.M.T., sometimes doubling up on the meats. But then I looked at the sodium content of the sandwich and realized I was getting almost a full day of salt from one 6” sandwich, which is why I stopped going to fast food burger joints. Now I might go to subway once or twice a year. All those fresh veggies are a feel good niceness but it is the sodium in the meat, cheese and dressing you have to be careful of.

• June 27, 2015 at 4:06 pm

@ Ken – Make no mistake: I’m not eating Subway to “feel good” about what I eat, irregardless of all the veggies in it. Anyone can taste the loads of sodium and preservatives a MILE AWAY in each massive foot long (which I split over two days).

@ N – Based on what Ken just said about Subway, it’s ironic you say how “fortunate” you are going now on fast food burger binges. LOL!!!

I tried making my own pickled daikon and carrots once (Vietnamese = Do Chua), and it turned out pretty awesome.

• June 27, 2015 at 4:26 pm

I just had my annual physical and my general practice doctor was ecstatic with all my numbers. Told me to keep doing what I am doing which is daily exercising, eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, some meats and plenty of seafood but most of all watching my sodium intake. So tonight I’m cooking German bratwurst with sauerkraut and German hot potato salad.

• June 27, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Ken,

At your age and vitality, you, Sir, have AMAZING genetics. ;-)

• June 28, 2015 at 2:20 am

Mmmmm, Subway … I love the spicy Italian and the veggie subs, but if I opt for the Italian it MUST have every single veg they’ve got on the line  :)

• June 28, 2015 at 2:29 am

Wendy,

Regarding “every single veg’ Subway has on the line”, A.K.A., “on deck”. ;-)

What’s funny is, every time I’m in line, girlie girls (office workers) ask me what I’m ordering. Like, “Hey, I noticed you specified deli’ mustard… that’s so cool!” Weird, right? *ends eccentric rant*

• June 28, 2015 at 5:38 am

I contacted Subway Corp. and ask if they are going make a Banh Mi and

Cuban Sandwich sub.  You never know what ideal they might have in the

future for their stores.

• June 29, 2015 at 11:51 am

When I was living and working in California, the last two years I was there, I’d eat Subway almost every single day for lunch.  Especially since my boss would pay for my sandwich if I went and picked one up for himself as well.  =)  The everyday special there was a $5 footlong and not just certain sandwiches but EVERY SINGLE ONE!  They had a prime rib sandwich that was more like chopped steak but it was oh so good with the southern sauce.  I also discovered that if you get the Italian BMT toasted, it tastes so much better because all of the oils in the meats leech out into the bread, yum!  Then one day I had lunch with my brother and he had a Veggie Patty sandwich and I enjoyed that so much, I started eating that as well.  Oh yeah, I wouldn’t eat the entire footlong.  I’d save the other half for the next day or I’d give the other half to my wife to take for lunch the next day.  Nowadays, we’ll eat Subway maybe once every couple of months or so.  I thought they still had the seafood sandwich?  I saw my co-worker eating it this past few months.

• June 29, 2015 at 12:40 pm

David,

I haven’t seen the Seafood & Crab (a.k.a. “Seafood Sensation”) for decades now. Last I recall Subway having it was way back in the 80s. The only seafood version they currently have is Tuna. Which is verified on their corporate website menu.

Great tip about toasting the Italian BMT to release the oils in the cold cuts. I’ll try that next time!

A Prime Rib Subway sandwich sounds ono! Hope they served it with Au Jus, ala “French Dip”… one of my sammy faves!

• June 29, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Hmm, I could’ve sworn I saw the Seafood option on the menu the last time I was at Subway.  I’ll have to check the next time I’m there.  If you toast the subs with meat, the meat has to be fatty meat, re: salami, pepperoni.  Ham and roast beef, not so much.  No Au Jus sauce with the Prime Rib, but yes, that wouldn’t been great!

• July 4, 2015 at 9:53 am

We went to the Wailuku Subway yesterday and here’s the menu with the Seafood Sensation sandwich.  I’m pretty sure they’ve had it on the menu here on Maui ever since they’ve been opened (for years).

Subway Seafood Sensation