Hawaii State “Flying Saucer” Day

According to NationalDayCalendar.com, today, June 4th is National Cheese Day. Not to be confused with National Cheese Lovers Day, which falls on January 20th. Which is all A-OK with me, as I personally LOVE CHEESE!

In light of that, The Tasty Island Honolulu Food Blog hereby proclaims today, June 4th, Hawaii State “Flying Saucer” Day. Yay!

There aren’t many (if any) iconic local dishes in Hawaii that are “cheese-centric”. The closest that is certainly unique to the islands — particular the Garden Isle of Kauai and Maui — is the “Flying Saucer”, a.k.a. “UFO”. Both of which are sometimes also interchangeably used to nickname Kauai’s also unique Goteborg Musubi.

A “Flying Saucer” is essentially two pieces of sandwich bread, filled with a “Sloppy Joe” type of mixture (seasoned tomato sauce and ground beef), along with cheese, that is then grill-pressed over an open fire until heated through, all melted ‘n toasty in a special contraption called a Toas-Tite…

Toas-Tite® Sandwich Grill Press

You’ll usually find “Flying Saucers” at community fairs and mom ‘n pop stores around the island of Kauai.

So on June 4th, Hawaii State Flying Saucer Day, book a flight on Hawaiian Airlines to Kauai or Maui, and get yourself an ooey-gooey melted cheese sloppy joe “Flying Saucer”!

According to NationalDayCalendar.com, today, June 4th is also:

Ooh! Cognac! Godfather of Brandy, used for making some mighty tasty Shoyu Steak Au Poivre!

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Hawaii State “Flying Saucer” Day

• June 4, 2015 at 2:38 pm

When I saw what day you were proclaiming it to be, I thought it was because of the “real” flying saucer that NASA’s going to launch on Kauai:

Kauai’s NASA Flying Saucer

But then I saw it was about my favorite flying saucer!  We’ve had those here at the Maui County Fair for as long as I can remember (more than 20 years because that’s when I graduated from high school and our speech and debate team used to sell them).  I remember them being $1 each but now they’re up to $3.50 each or 3 for $10 IIRC.  There’s always a long line and we always buy extra to take home.  We noticed the past few years, they’ve used white bread and wheat bread.  I guess whatever’s cheaper.

• June 4, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Mahalo, glad to see pic in your blog. I would have taken more if you had let me know.  Mahalo

• June 4, 2015 at 4:34 pm

@ DCOhana – I thought Flying Saucers were for the most part a Kauai thing, however after talking with Diner K, she said Maui always has them at fairs as well, as David who commented before you also mentioned. So I took Kauai out of the name of the day, and simply named it Hawaii State “Flying Saucer” Day. Which sounds even more strange. lol

@ David – Gosh, I wasn’t even following the news story about the NASA “Flying Saucer” (Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator). Thanks for the 411! Man, what a great event for marketing “Flying Saucers”, the snack, on Kauai!

As I told DCOhana, I always thought “Flying Saucers” were just a Kauai thing, but as you mentioned, as well as other Maui folks, both islands have them. What’s weird is, I don’t know one place on Oahu that sells them, nor have I seen them at any community fairs here on Oahu. Same like Goteborg Musubi. Hardly anyplace sells them here, but on Kauai they’re as common as their SPAM Musubi cousin.

Do you remember the recipe for the “Sloppy Joe” filling the Flying Saucers you guys made? According to Rowena, the Kauai girl blogger, she simply uses store-bought spaghetti sauce mixed with ground beef. Does that sound about right?

• June 4, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I wasn’t on the speech and debate team so I never made them but I know the one they sell here also has corn in it, along with the beef and sauce.

• June 6, 2015 at 1:34 pm

@ Chuck-San – I’m making some tomorrow. Just bought the ingredients:

Kauai style Flying Saucers

• 1 pound fresh ground beef (80% lean)
    • 1 can Hunt’s MANWICH Original Sloppy Joe Sauce
    • Kraft American Cheese slices
    • Loves sliced Bread (white)

Reason I’m making them is, while I don’t have a Toas-Tite®, I just found an electric toasted sandwich press in my storage closet that’s never been used. Turns out, that countertop appliance is PERFECT for making “Flying Saucers”! Albeit they’re not “saucer” shaped, but pressed into sandwich TRIANGLES. It’s pretty cool, and the toasted pressed sandwiches it makes are AWESOME!

I’m also going to try experimenting, using Ragu Marinara Pasta Sauce (the traditional extra thick version), while I’ll also try Brie, as well as a Cheddar/Mozzerella Cheese Blend. I was thinking of also trying a Hawaiian Sweet Bread for it, but eh, that’s thinking too much about it.

@ David – The Flying Saucers pictured in the first photo also have corn in it. I’ll post a cutaway shot later.