Hawaii State Huli-Huli Chicken Day

According to NationalDayCalendar.com, today, June 2nd is National Rotisserie Chicken Day.

National Rotisserie Chicken Day is celebrated annually on June 2nd.

Rotisserie chicken is cooked whole on a rotisserie or spit that turns it continuously while a heat source cooks it slowly. This type of cooking sears the skin to seal in the flavor, resulting in a tender and juicy chicken. Rotisserie chicken is often injected with a blend of seasonings to give it even more flavor. The popularity of rotisserie chicken continues to grow as the health benefits of it become more widely known. Leftovers can be used in many ways, including salads, sandwiches and casseroles.

CELEBRATION

Share photos of your friends and family on social media enjoying National Rotisserie Chicken Day and include #RotisserieChickenDay.

HISTORY

National Rotisserie Day was submitted by Boston Market Restaurants in April 2015.  The registrar of National Day Calendar declared June 2nd as National Rotisserie Chicken Day in May 2015.

Media Contacts:

Amanda Rast – 314-982-9167″

~ NationalDayCalendar.com

In light of that, The Tasty Island Honolulu Food Blog also hereby proclaims June 2nd, Hawaii State Huli-Huli Chicken Day. Yay!

“Today, June 2nd, kama’aina celebrate Hawaii State Huli-Huli Chicken Day.

Huli-Huli Chicken is Hawaii’s take on Rotisserie Chicken, whereas however the seasonings and cooking method are quite different, being the chicken is typically marinaded in a shoyu-based brine, then grilled on a special rotisserie that’s fueled by incredibly hot Kiawe wood, a.k.a. Mesquite, resulting in the whole rotisserie chickens turning out incredibly moist and tender, with a wonderful smokey aroma and flavor.

Huli-Huli Chickens are often sold for fundraising events by churches and sports teams. And chances are if you take a drive around the island, you’ll come across hot, just-cooked Huli-Huli Chicken for sale on the roadside.

The name “Huli-huli” is has actually trademarked by Pacific Poultry since 1967, and can’t be used for commercial use. However most locals still refer to any chicken prepared and cooked this way in the islands as “Huli-Huli Chicken”. Ono stuff!”

~ The Tasty Island

7 thoughts on “Hawaii State Huli-Huli Chicken Day

• June 2, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Test comment. ;-)

• June 2, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Even though I love huli huli chicken, I think I prefer today as National Rocky Road Day.  On second thought, since today’s my birthday, I definitely prefer National Leave The Office Early Day, although that’s not going to happen.  =)

• June 2, 2015 at 4:37 pm

I am not a huge huli huli chicken fan, however they do make the basis for an excellent chicken enchilada.

• June 2, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Back in Rhode Island only in my section of the state (Northern RI, Blackstone Valley) a regional dish is served by almost every restaurant in some form of combinations centered around seasoned oven roasted chicken with crispy skin called “Family Style Chicken”. There is no menu of what items is going to be served but depending on what the restaurant calls “Family Style Chicken” you know that the basics sides will be served (salad, pasta with red sauce, potatoes). I don’t know how they roast the whole chicken so that it comes out with crispy skin (like Huli-Huli or rotisserie) and juicy meat but one restaurant serves 1,000 orders per hour and seats up to 1,500 people and on some days you have to wait up to 1 hour for a table to be seated.

The restaurant I go to for “Family Style Chicken” costs $12.95 per adult and it is all-you-can-eat of each item. Once seated the meal starts out with fresh baked glazed cinnamon rolls for bread and butter and a tureen of home-made chicken vegetable soup followed by fresh salad with dressing followed by penne pasta with red tomato/meat sauce, Italian meatballs and Italian sweet sausage followed by roasted chicken quarters and roasted seasoned potatoes and finally ice cream all-you-can-eat as you empty a platter the waitress will bring a new filled platter or bowl until you tell her to stop.

• June 4, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Costco is losing a couple dollars on each chicken I recently learned. Bird virus changing market. However they refuse to raise the price for the time because they value the members.

• June 3, 2015 at 10:39 am

@ Ken – Thanks for sharing the info about “Family Style Chicken” in RI. As I always say (and bite my tongue as well), I’m not a chicken fan, and wouldn’t  personally choose to go to a restaurant where chicken is the main feature.

It is a great experience though, driving around the North Shore and stopping by a to pick-up some pipin’ hot Huli-Huli Chicken from fundraisers along the way. I always make sure they’re using Kiawe for the firewood, which gives it its unique intense smokey, crispy burnt skin edges, a.k.a. “papa’a”.

@ Pat – Costco’s cooked rotisserie chicken is also great for using in other dishes, especially for the price. I made a kick @ss homemade chicken noodle soup out of the leftovers one time. That’s where the pressure cooker really shines.

@ David – Well, apparently Costco doesn’t recognize National Rotisserie Chicken Day, as I was just in the Iwilei store yesterday, and they were selling them for the regular $4.99 each. Imagine if they did recognize this day and gave away 1 free rotisserie chicken to each customer per transaction. OMG, the lines going in and at the checkout would be CRAZY RIDICULOUS!

Regarding Rocky Road Ice Cream, EEEW! Ever since I was a kid, I could not stand the stuff! And to this day don’t like it. Something about the combination of Marshmallows, nuts and chocolate ice cream are a complete turnoff for me. Mainly A: I don’t like chocolate ice cream, and B: I can’t stand marshmallows! At least not when they’re cool and spongy. If they’re melted like smores, oh  hell yeah, but softy and spongy? Neh-eh. No thanks.

• June 4, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Late the other night I couldn’t sleep and I was watching “Triple D” and Guy Fieri had filmed in Hawaii, yet again, right on popcorn!  He was featuring Mike’s Kiawe Broiled Huli Huli Chicken and he made mention that he had bought a Huli rig, that’s awesome!

For me here in the middle of the desert, just a homesick island gal, I brought back 3 bottles of Hawaii’s Famous Huli Huli Sauce, da bomb!  I stoke up my grill with mesquite (similar to kiawe), have an electric rotisserie attachment and have converted all of our neighbors.  They all love me, boy.  They catch one whiff and all come by da house.  CHEEWHOOOO!