National Hamburger Day

The Counter “Old School” Signature Burger

According to NationalDayCalendar.com, today, Thursday, May 28th is National Hamburger Day:

“National Hamburger Day is celebrated each year on May 28.  This day is set aside to honor a classic sandwich, the hamburger.  National Hamburger Day is part of National Hamburger Month.

For Some Fun Hamburger Trivia See: http://www.foodreference.com/html/fhamburgers.html

It is most likely that the hamburger first appeared in the 19th or early 20th centuries and there is much controversy over it’s origin.  The true origin might not ever be identified with certainty.  Over the years, the hamburger has become a culinary icon in the United States.

From early on, the hamburger was prepared with all of the now typically characteristic trimmings. including onions, lettuce and pickles.

Since the beginning, many different variations of the hamburger have been created, some of which have become very popular.  Much of this diversity comes from restaurant chains that have tried to reproduce the success of other very famous and extremely successful hamburger chains.”

~ NationalCalendarDay.com

OK, now National Hamburger Day DEFINITELY deserves recognition!

The Counter’s Build Your Own Burger™  combo #214,977: 1/3 pound beef patty, Gruyere Cheese, Dill Pickles, Grilled Onions, Mixed Baby Greens and Tomatoes on a Honey Wheat Bun with Peppercorn Steaksauce on the side.

The Ryoma Burger

In-N-Out Burger Double-Double

Honolulu Burger Company‘s Pepperjack Cheese Teriyaki Burger

Honolulu Burger Company‘s Paniolo BBQ Burger

Honolulu Burger Company‘s Mushroom Mushroom Burger, with housemade seasoned regular and sweet potato fries

Honolulu Burger Company‘s Mushroom Mushroom Burger

Kiawe Grill’s Kobe Burger

Jack in the Box SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack (a regular menu item at Hawaii Jack in the Box locations)

Off the Wall – Hamburger with garlic cheese spread and spicy aioli

Tony Roma’s Waikiki Swiss Mushroom Burger

Duke’s Waikiki Beachside Burger with Beach Fries

Tanaka Saimin Burger

Ramen Noodle Burger Matsufujiya: Ramen Noodle Burger

L&L’s Hawaiian Katsu Burger

L&L’s Hawaiian Katsu Burger

W&M ROYAL B.B.Q. Hamburger and French Fries

(The late) Lee’s Drive In (Kaneohe) – Double Cheeseburger Deluxe and Regular Fries

(The late) Lee’s Drive In (Kaneohe) – Double Cheeseburger Deluxe

(The late) Lee’s Drive In (Kaneohe) – Double Cheeseburger Deluxe

(The late) Lee’s Drive In (Kaneohe) – Double Cheeseburger Deluxe

H&T Teri Burger

Diner E’s home-made Pan de Sal Burger – Valerio’s Tropical Bakery Pan de Sal “bun” (roll), Cheese, May’s Seasoned Patty, B.F. Mayo’, Sliced Cabbage (not lettuce) and Heinz Ketchup

Pomai’s burger antics: Nanding’s Bakery Spanish Roll Teriyaki Slider Burger

Teddy’s Bigger Burgers 18 oz. Monster

Teddy’s 7 oz. Cheese Burger

Cheeseburger Hawaii lunch truck – Island Style Cheeseburger : Teriyaki Cheese Burger with a slice of Grilled Pineapple, topped with sliced iceberg lettuce, tomato, red onion and “special sauce” on a toasted white bread bun. Served with (upgraded) Sweet Potato Fries and (included) Drink (not shown).

Cheeseburger Hawaii lunch truck – Island Style Teriyaki Cheeseburger (assembled)

Cheeseburger Hawaii lunch truck – Shroom and Swiss Cheeseburger, topped with slice iceberg lettuce, tomato, red onion and “special sauce” on a toasted white bread bun. Served with (uprgraded) Sweet Potato Fries

Cheeseburger Hawaii lunch truck – Shroom and Swiss Cheeseburger (assembled)

Burgers on the Edge

Islands Fine Burgers’ Sandpiper – grilled chicken breast, boneless & skinless w/bacon, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, swiss & mayo

Islands Fine Burgers’ Hawaiian burger – grilled to medium, with wheat bun (choice of white or wheat available on all burgers & sandwiches), pineapple, teriyaki sauce, lettuce, tomato, swiss & mayo

Islands Fine Burgers’  The Wedge – B.L.T.: bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheddar & mayo on wheat bun

Alan Wong’s Pineapple Room Burger

The Pineapple Room The “Loco Moco” with Veal Jus Gravy (next photo)

Pineapple Room’s Veal Jus brown gravy for their Loco Moco

Zippy’s Chili Moco: 2 eggs, Zippy’s Chili, Hamburger Patty and Mac Salad Sauce over Rice

Ono Cheese Steak @ Waikiki – Loco Moco: 2 Sunnyside-up eggs heaped over 2 massive grilled beef patties and 2 scoops white rice, then smothered with brown gravy, along with a side of Mac’ Salad

Tomorrow, Friday, May 29th will be:

Hey Amy, Coq Au Vin Day! I was also thinking, since tomorrow will be National Paperclip Day, we should also make it National Pencil & Eraser Day. Why not?

Advertisements

19 thoughts on “National Hamburger Day

• May 28, 2015 at 9:59 am

The only type of hamburger I go for is basic old school hamburger deluxe with no

cheese.  Mom also like that from Kenny Hamburger days.  When they sold

hamburger deluxe for under a dollar.

• May 28, 2015 at 10:49 am

EH!!!….gotta represent Hilo!! ( my hometown )………whea da GRAVY BURGAH!!!!!!

• May 28, 2015 at 1:41 pm

@ Amy – The burger from Lee’s Drive-In is just like that, except I added cheese on it. Lee’s Drive-In in Kaneohe has since closed, after being in business for many decades. However I hear the sushi takeout shop that replaced them are still making Lee’s burgers to appease their old customers. Nice!

@ kelly – If you’re talking about Loco Moco, I wen’ add ’em. Au’right! lol

• May 28, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Having lived on the Mainland for the past seven years, we found Five Guys on the East Coast and they are now franchised, BUT, my burger of my youth is Kenny’s Teri Burger deluxe with fries after school or bowling at ‘Kam Bowl’ (uh, I’m showing my age).

• May 28, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Auntie Doni,

I’ve heard some say Five Guys burgers are better than In-n-Out, which I wasn’t “wowed” by their burger. I mean it’s good, but not outstanding. Same for their hand-cut fries. Then again, maybe I wasn’t drunk enough to be wowed by it. lol

Me and “someone I once knew” used to often have breakfast or a late lunch at Kenny’s Burger House. They used to have kick @ss teri burgers for just 10 cents each, and this was in the early 90s, which was outrageously cheap by those days standards. As you know, Kenny’s Burger House closed and has been replaced with a McDonald’s. However Kenny’s Restaurant (the Coffee Shop) “In the Kam Shopping Center in Kali-hi” is still there (remember that jingle?).  There’s also a Kenny’s Express in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center food court in Waikiki. The prices there are OUTRAGEOUS. Something like $15 for a plate lunch. Sheesh.

• May 28, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Pomai, Five Guys kicks In-N-Out’s butt 100 times over!

We TRIED to eat at Kenny’s Express Hawaiian BBQ in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, but it never worked out, PLUS they no more Teri Burger, AUWE!

• May 28, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Love my Counter burger just like that but with avocado. Medium rare. Read the paper and wait for the boss to get out of the damn shopping center.

• May 28, 2015 at 5:56 pm

PS.

Wong’s wasabi potato salad is number 1.

• May 28, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Pat,

I wasn’t sure what you meant by “Wong’s Wasabi Potato Salad”, until realizing you were pointing out the one accompanying the Pineapple Room Burger.

Speaking of which, you probably remember the Gazebo restaurant when Macy’s Ala Moana was Liberty House. Man, I remember they made the most kick @ss mushroom burger, which ever since then, I was hooked on mushroom burgers! It’s the only way I have my burgers now, is with sauteed mushrooms on them…. more the better!

• May 28, 2015 at 6:39 pm

My grandmother always ordered the shrimp curry. That is all I remember. And of course Hackfields in the lower level. Where the old men were and the sandwiches ono.

• May 28, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Pat,

Regarding Hackfields and Liberty House’ other restaurants at Ala Moana Shopping Center “back in the day”, this is the information I got directly from the chef himself, Chef Luis Butay, Jr.:

“Owner and Chef Luis Butay, Jr. remains at the helm, bringing decades of industry experience to the kitchen. His early years began in Waikiki hotels, working his way up to Sous Chef at the Hawaiian Regent (now Waikiki Marriot), Banquet Chef at Sheraton Hotel Waikiki, and Executive Chef of the Oceania Floating Restaurant (remember that?!).

He then went on to become Executive Chef for Liberty House, including opening their popular in-store restaurants at Ala Moana known as Hackfelds on the first floor, Garden Courte on the 3rd floor and Gazebo on the 4th floor (I think I got that right). After about 8 years at Liberty House, in 1990 he then went on to run his gourmet buffet restaurant called Crown Court on the top floor of Duty Free Waikiki, where he’d spend almost 20 years of his career. Then in 2005 Chef Butay moved his energy to his own property in the heart of Kapalama, Kalihi at Loulen’s Courte to open Loulen’s Restaurant, specializing in Filipino and Continental cuisine. Fast-forward to December 2013, we have Apple Tree Cafe, with the main menu focused on American comfort food classics.

Another side note on Liberty House, my calabash aunt was the Merchant (Buyer) for their womens clothing lines “way back in the day”, when she was only in her 20s and a model at the time. Liberty House is still a legend!

• May 28, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Nothing back in Rhode Island beats a Stanley Burger: http://www.stanleyshamburgers.com/

Stanley’s Burgers is located in little City of Central Falls; only one square mile in size, densely populated Central Falls is the smallest community in the nation’s smallest state.

Most all the high end James Beard type restaurant chefs would pile into Stanley’s at night after they closed down their restaurants for a burger.

Stanley’s grind, custom mix and season their own burgers and the sight of them floating on the grill in a sea of melted fat with onions being grilled into the burger will gave you heart attacks especially when they lift the burgers off the grill and let them briefly drain off grease before placing on toasted buns but one bite and you will be hooked and craved more!

Whenever I was in the neighborhood or got a craving at work for lunch, me and the guys would head for Stanley’s.

• May 28, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Ken,

I totally believe you about how great Stanley’s Burgers are. However, I think EVERY city in this nation has some place that makes “the best burger ever”. It’s really not that hard to do. Teddy’s, Honolulu Burger Company, Kua Aina, The Counter, and even some of the steak houses here all crank out pretty serious, kick @ss burgers. And best of all, you can eat those burgers enjoying the blue pacific ocean on a white sandy beach, which I’m sure even you’ll agree is a much better gig than RI. ;-)

• May 28, 2015 at 7:16 pm

You are absolutely right about the views in HI verses back in RI and RI has 400 miles of coastline but if you were brought up with that old dinner greasy spoon type of food you miss the taste every now and then. Of course back on the East Coast during winter you needed that extra fat intake to help insulate you from the cold. Of all the burgers on Oahu, I like Teddy’s Bigger Burger the best but it could be juicier like dripping down your lips as you bite in. Kua Aina was too dry for me as was Honolulu Burger Company and I’ve not tried the Counter yet. Too many fashion burgers; just give me grilled burger with onions, ketchup and pickle between buns and I’m happy!

• May 28, 2015 at 9:29 pm

I know what you mean by dry. So try The Counter and The Pineapple Room.

• May 29, 2015 at 10:19 am

Pomai:  I gotta put in a thumbs up for Five Guys out here on the East Coast; they are consistientlly good burgers, with lotsa options on toppings. Their second biggest item is their fries (regular or cajun) , cut in-house, huge portions (a regular portion feeds two people easy; they recently added a “small” size, but it is also enough for two! You can get extra cajun spice if you ask for it, and I use it on my burger to give it an extra kick! My standard is the regular burger (two patties), lettuce, tomato, raw onions, green peppers and freash slices jalapenos, w/mayo. Then I jack it up with as much cajun spice as I can get in it. (the mayo/juices actually turn orange)  When I got here to Huntsville a few years ago, I looked up the “Best Burger in Huntsville” and found that there was a survey done where Five Guys won with 45% of the votes. But in second place, with 42% of the votes was the “Happy Burger” from a mom-pop diner owned by a Cali-Korean and his Korean wife. So I had to try it! And it is awesome! The closest would be the HBC Paniolo burger with two patties instead of one. That, with fries is $6.50! You can see them make the burger from fresh ground beef, so no frozen stuff there! (OK, maybe the fries) Simple, good and cheap… what more could you ask for? As for burger huntlmg in Honolulu, that may only be by exception as I am too busy each visit trying out all the other new (and old favorite) dishes/restaurants.

• May 29, 2015 at 10:54 am

Keith-San,

I’m not a big fan of Cajun and spicy seasonings in general, or chili peppers either. When it comes to burgers, it’s CHEESE ‘N ‘SHROOMS for me, baby! Also, my burger MUST have lettuce, tomato and raw sliced white onion, a.k.a. “Deluxe”. MUST. I don’t like “just meat” burgers. I need that fresh and crispy contrast of the veggies to compliment the beef burger patty. And the bun better be toasted!

My go-to burger joint is Teddy’s Bigger Burgers, mainly because they’re most convenient to where I live, and they’re always consistently excellent. Their fries are awesome, too. Only thing I don’t like about Teddy’s is their house burger sauce, which I’m pretty sure is basically commercial BBQ sauce mixed with mayonnaise. So every time I order at Teddy’s, I tell them only put mayonnaise, and not their house sauce. MUCH better like that.

HBC is excellent too, but they’re kinda’ out of the way for me.

Speaking of Korean and burgers, if you don’t have it already, I highly recommend you ask your sister to send you a bottle of the Man Nani brand (manufactured by Halm’s) Hawaiian BBQ Sauce. It looks like this, except it says “Hawaiian Style” instead of “Korean Style” (although they’re almost the same, really)…

They sell a large bottle at Costco for $9. That’s the one you want. Try mix that into your own ground beef, make patties and grill your own burgers over charcoal. Brah, taste just like one Kalbi and one hamburger when make baby. lol Serve da’ burger with Kim Chee on da’ side. Seriously, broke da’ mout, winnahz! That sauce also makes KILLER KALBI. You need that sauce!