SPAM® Portuguese Sausage Coming Soon

Well, OK, not literally in sausage form like that shown above. You wish! Psyche! For realz, though, like this….

SPAM® Portuguese Sausage Seasoning flavor coming soon exclusively to the Hawaii market! Image courtesy of Hormel Foods/Studio H and the Honolulu Star Advertiser.

Which is probably already “10 O’clock news” for you folks out there perpetually linked to FB and Twitter. However for those of you otherwise, the Honolulu Star Advertiser.com just published an article this afternoon by Erika Engle, announcing that coming soon, Hormel Foods Corp. will release a new SPAM® Portuguese Sausage Seasoning flavor. Nice!

Soon, as in the quite obvious, where they’ll officially debut it at the 2015 Waikiki SPAM JAM, happening next, next Saturday. Yay!

As important to note besides the flavor itself, is that the new SPAM® Portuguese Sausage will initially be sold EXCLUSIVELY in the Hawaii market only, and nowhere else, according to Jennifer Nolander, SPAM Brand’s product manager.

So you know what that means, right? Yup, time to start planning on shipping a few cans to your loved ones away from the islands who’ll be hounding you for it. “Orders” have already rolled in on my home front. Ha-ha!

Nolander points out that, along with SPAM, the company is very much aware Portuguese Sausage is very popular in the islands, so putting the two together was their way to “thank the people of Hawaii for supporting the brand”.

McDonald’s of Hawaii “Local Deluxe Breakfast Platter”: Portuguese Sausage, SPAM, Eggs & Rice.

Now with this hybrid of two of Hawaii’s most popular meats, I’m kinda’ wondering how McDonald’s of Hawaii will address their hit “Local Deluxe Breakfast Platter”? Will they drop regular SPAM® and Portuguese Sausage as separate components, and simply serve SPAM Portuguese Sausage instead, effectively saving costs by killing two pigs with one stone? Hey, these are begging questions you gotta’ ask! lol

Anyhow, SPAM® Portuguese Sausage Seasoning flavor will begin hitting store shelves around Hawaii next week, as a sort of “soft introduction” to its grand unveiling at the Waikiki SPAM JAM. There, it will be served in bite-size “hot off the griddle” samples at the official SPAM products booth, while Hard Rock Cafe may also be doing a dish with it.

The new Portuguese Sausage Seasoning will bring the total to 13 flavors of SPAM available in the Hawaii market, according to the distributor of the product.

As you regulars here may recall, I recently did a review of SPAM’s also new Tocino Seasoning flavor, having a quite favorable impression of it. Far better, surprisingly, than what I thought of another ode to Hawaii, the SPAM Teriyaki flavor.

Along with Teriyaki, SPAM Portuguese Sausage flavor really was a no-brainer if they’re looking to put all the flavors of Hawaii under the proverbial magnifying glass.

So I say to Hormel, you’ve given Hawaii Teriyaki, and soon we’ll have Portuguese Sausage SPAM. SPAM’tastically check, and check!  Now all we need to complete the list is SPAM® Kim Chee, SPAM® Pasteles, SPAM® Pork Adobo, SPAM® Charsiu, SPAM® Lup Cheong and SPAM® Paniolo Smoked! And if you need help with that last one, you know who to call!

Pomai’s proposed new Hawaii SPAM® flavor: Puerto Rican PASTELES! Suggested serving shown with the requisite Gandules Rice and Bacalau Salad. Roughly rendered label design by Pomai.

Pomai’s proposed new Hawaii SPAM® flavor: Korean KIM CHEE! Suggested serving shown as expected: Kim Chee Fried Rice! Roughly rendered label design by Pomai.

Pomai’s proposed new Hawaii SPAM® flavor: Flipino PORK ADOBO! Suggested serving shown with Pancit Filipino style noodles, as well as Bay Leaves (to the left) as indicator of the key flavoring ingredient. There also should be peppercorns shown in the final label design. Roughly rendered label design by Pomai.

Pomai’s proposed new Hawaii SPAM® flavor: Chinese CHARSIU! Suggested serving shown in the form of Charsiu Bao (steamed bun). Roughly rendered label design by Pomai.

Pomai’s proposed new Hawaii SPAM® flavor: Chinese LUP CHEONG! Suggested serving shown the classic way us locals eat Lup Cheong: with shoyu and rice! Roughly rendered label design by Pomai.

SPAM PANIOLO SMOKED - RENDERING BY POMAI S.
Pomai’s proposed new Hawaii SPAM® flavor: Hawaiian style PANIOLO SMOKED! Suggested serving shown with Poi, my boy. Roughly rendered label design by Pomai.

Finally for good measure, why not? Hawaii SPAM® Rainbow Shave Ice! LOL! Rough (‘n tough) rendering by Pomai.

For more information:
Isle’s favorite meats meet in exclusive SPAM treat – The Honolulu Star Advertiser

The Tasty Island related links:

The Great Portuguese Sausage Shootout

Hormel SPAM® Hawaii Label Design Contest

42 thoughts on “SPAM® Portuguese Sausage Coming Soon

• April 22, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Lalena,

That’s why I’ve always said, ever since a kid, that the Brits should stick with technology and music. Humor just isn’t their forte.

You do know SPAM is HUGE in Okinawa, along with other competing brands of canned luncheon meat. Same for Korea, where they actually give SPAM products as gifts!

• April 22, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I think it takes a certain amount of weirdness to understand British humor. Monty Python was a favorite of mine growing up. This was one of my favorite skits :-)

I know that Okinawans and Guamanians are fond of SPAM, but Koreans? Didn’t know that. I rememeber my Omoni giving cartons of Kent cigarettes and gigantic cans of Folgers ground coffee (which Dad bought for her at the PX on base) as gifts, never SPAM. Oh, and the Nabisco assortment packaged cookies for the children.

• April 22, 2015 at 6:14 pm

This was in this morning’s Honolulu Star Advertiser.

I can’t help but wonder which flavor profile they are going to introduce into the spam; Hawaiian style Portuguese sausage or Portugal style mainland linguica sausage?

You have to remember the Portuguese sausage made and sold in Hawaii does not taste like the regular Portugal sausage.

• April 22, 2015 at 6:40 pm

That’s what I’m wondering…will it have the flavor of chourico or linguica?

• April 22, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Ken and Vicki,

I’m most concerned about TEXTURE, as the SPAM® Teriyaki really suffers by coming across as being mushy, like the ARMOUR Star TREET brand. And it wasn’t just me, but all three of us in the office agreed about that. Even the Tocino flavor has a little of that texture trait, but not enough to be a deal breaker.

As for flavor profile, I’m wondering who helped them formulate it. I’m hoping the good folks at Rego’s Purity were the ones, or that it follows that suit, so that it has a little sweetness and just enough spice, while not being over-the-top.

• April 23, 2015 at 1:28 pm

I think I know how the Portuguese Spam is going to taste and feel for texture.

Hormel Foods also owns Sagg’s Sausages which also makes Portuguese Linguiça sausage so I bet some in house experimenting was done.

• April 23, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Ken,

Good to know. That would be Saag’s Linguica, where I could only find it online at Amazon.

Pat made a good suggestion that Hormel should also try out this new flavor in the San Diego, Rhode Island and Massachusetts markets, where there are a lot of Portuguese-Americans as well.

That said, I’m curious how far Hormel is going to take this whole ethnic flavors thing. This morning while on my drive to work, two morning DJs were talking with listeners about the new SPAM Portuguese Sausage, and a few people said they prefer the regular SPAM over any of their flavored varieties, so they can add their own flavorings to it when they cook it. I tend to agree with that.

• April 23, 2015 at 7:17 pm

I purchased Sagg’s Sausage in Oahu but I can’t remember at which store. I frequent Foodland, Snack N’ Save, Don Quijote, Tamura Super Store and The Waianae Store. I was looking for British Bangers and found Sagg’s in one of the stores so Sagg’s is sold on the island.

Your guess is as good as mine for how far Hormel will carry this as they already have Chorizo, Teriyaki, Turkey, Garlic, Black Pepper, Hot & Spicy, Bacon, Jalapeño, Hickory Smoke, Cheese, Tocino and Spam Spread beside original flavor, low sodium and Lite.

• April 24, 2015 at 6:50 am

Ken,

You keep misspelling Saag’s as “Sagg’s”. It’s two a’s and one g: Saag’s Specialty Meats & Sausages.

Well, out of the flavored SPAM I’ve tried so far, this is my ranking from most to least favorite:

1. SPAM® Hickory Smoked
            2. SPAM® Bacon (both this and Hickory Smoked are actually tied either or)
            3. SPAM® Tocino
            8. SPAM® Teriyaki (yes, 8th place, not 4th)

Can’t wait to find out where SPAM® Portuguese Sausage fits in the ranking!

• April 23, 2015 at 1:57 am

Now I will be busy scouting all supermarkets for new favors of spams  My cousins will

to have many of them to try.  Some people will buy a lot and sell on Amazon for oversea.

They do that with Trader Joes products.

• April 23, 2015 at 5:53 am

Amy,

I bet if SPAM came out with my proposed Charsiu and Lup Cheong flavors, Hormel Food Corp. would become not just a billion, but a TRILLION dollar valued company from all the cans of SPAM they’d sell in China. CHA-CHING! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  ;-)

• April 23, 2015 at 9:42 am

This is the most messed up part of this post for me – I live in Minnesota, where Spam is made. Not only can I not find Portuguese sausage here, anywhere, but I also will not be able to purchase the Spam Portuguese sausage here.  Life is not always fair.

• April 23, 2015 at 12:44 pm

@s,

You have Portuguese sausage being made right in Minnesota—-problem is that it is called by its proper Portuguese sausage name (Linguica; mild and Chourico; spicy hot).

Do not confuse Portuguese Chourico sausage with Spanish; smoke cured or Mexican; raw uncooked Chorizo which are totally different sausages however in some recipes you can substitute Spanish Chorizo for Portuguese Chourico.

In your local grocery store of supermarket look for Sagg’s Sausages (owned by Hormel Foods) in the meat department as they make Portuguese Linguica and Spanish Chorizo sausages.

You have over 41 sausage makers listed in State of Minnesota and some make Portuguese Linguica which is copied in Hawaiian as Portuguese sausage.

Kramarczuk sausages, 215 East Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55414 | (612) 379-3018: //kramarczuks.com/ makes Portuguese Linguica and Spanish Chorizo.

Manea’s Meats, 114 2nd Ave N, Sauk Rapids, MN | (320) 253-8683: Email: info@maneasmeats.com:  Website: //www.maneasmeats.com/sausage.php makes Portuguese Linguica.

Usinger Sausage is a well-known and respected sausage maker in your area that I use for German sausages but they do make Spanish Chorizo, Portuguese Linguica and Cajun Andouille Sausage.

Fred Usinger, Inc., 1030 N. Old World Third Street, Milwaukee Wisconsin, 53203 | (800) 558-9998: //www.usinger.com/ makes Portuguese Linguica.

If you want old world Portuguese sausage makers then you’ll have to go to the largest Portuguese population on the East Coast in Fall River, MA. Where the bulk of Portuguese sausage companies are located:

Mello’s North End Manufacturers Inc., 63 North Court Street, Fall River, MA 02720 | (800) 673-2320: //www.melloschourico.com/ makes Portuguese Linguica and Chourico.

Michaels Provision, 317 Lindsey St. Fall River, MA. 02720 | (508)-672-0982: Email:  michaelschourico@hotmail.com:  Website: //www.michaelsprovision.com/ makes Portuguese Linguica and Chourico.

• April 23, 2015 at 10:16 am

Pomai, some of friends family oversea been buying spams products on Amazon

and other food companies products not sold in their homeland.

• April 23, 2015 at 10:29 am

@ Kelike – That’s cool, however I have an even better idea:  have a whole case worth of SPAM Portuguese Sausage flavor personally autographed by Hawaii’s true “Podagee”, Mr. Frank Delima, and hawk them for a song on eBay. ;-)

@ s – That is messed up. That’s kinda’ like the factory workers at FoxxConn not being allowed to own any of the iPhones they assemble. On the bright side, I hear Minnesota’s SPAM JAM lasts an entire week. And here I was thinking the Waikiki SPAM JAM had you folks beat.

• April 23, 2015 at 12:23 pm

They ought to test the San Diego, Rhode Island and Massachusetts markets also. Lots of Potuguese there.,particularly near the coasts.,

• April 24, 2015 at 1:10 am

Pomai, my other cousin who lived in Singapore as an expat is glad people there

like spam also but too pricey there so go for off brand to use in cooking.  They like

for breakfast with rice and eggs and noodle soups and ect.

• April 24, 2015 at 1:28 am

Now that I live back in the mainland (Huntsville, Alabama) after three years on Kwajalein it’s a little harder to find local kine stuff but it’s made easier by shopping online! Can’t wait to try the Podagee sausage SPAM! (The Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders here in Huntsville are salivating over the news… though it will probably never see the store shelves here,)

• April 24, 2015 at 6:36 am

@ (ex-) Kwaj Drafter! – Howzit Chuck! Long time no hear. Wow, what a transition from Kwajalein Atoll to “Ala-baye’ma”. That’s so funny that you say it’s a “little easier to find local stuff on Kwaj'” as compared to Alabama. As if an isolated ATOLL in the middle of the ocean is that much more accessible. lol No, but I understand you guys get regular military flights in and out of Hawaii.

You should hook-up with KeithF, a regular poster here, Hawaii expat and also retired military who also currently calls Alabama home. KeithF did mention the Costco in Alabama sells the Teriyaki SPAM. However, I told him to try 1 can first before committing to an 8-pack.

@ Amy – the only competing luncheon meat brand I see stocked regularly next to Hormel SPAM® on store shelves here in Honolulu is TREET, probably only because Armour Star is such a big company. Other brands come and go, but never last, such as the short-lived TULIP brand from Denmark.

While I personally pretty much avoid shop there, Diner A said he tried Walmart’s own generic brand of luncheon meat, which he said was surprisingly really good, and pretty close to SPAM in flavor and texture. Not only that, but it was only about $1 a can. Kinda’ scary, really. That’s just TOO cheap.

• April 24, 2015 at 8:54 am

How’s THIS Hawaii SPAM® flavor suggestion?…

Why not? Hawaii SPAM® Rainbow Shave Ice! LOL! Rough rendering by Pomai.

Actually, now that I think about it, a savory-meets-sweet/sour/tangy/earthy/bold SPAM “Rainbow Shave Ice” could be seriously pulled off, and potentially taste pretty good, to AMAZING using colored glazes coating a fried piece of regular SPAM, flavored as such:
    • Red – Charsiu
    • Yellow – Pineapple Sweet & Sour
    • Green – Rosemary de’ Mint (get some French in there, baby!)
    • Blue – Bleu Cheese (oh man, a French Bleu Cheese sauce with SPAM? Now THAT would taste INTERESTING!)

• April 24, 2015 at 11:15 am

Back in the early ’90s when I used to work for a local grocery wholesaler, the Hormel rep that had our account told me that Hawaii was not the number one market for Spam.  Puerto Rico was number one at that time, Hawaii was second.

• April 24, 2015 at 11:38 am

Kyle,

Well then, I’ve got that covered too!…

Proposed new Hawaii SPAM® flavor: Puerto Rican PASTELES! Suggested serving shown with the requisite Gandules Rice and Bacalau Salad.

Actually, I believe not in total sales numbers, but PER CAPITA, Guam is currently the number one market in SPAM consumption.

As for foreign countries (Guam and Puerto Rico are U.S. territories as you know), according to this fascinating BBC News story back in 2013, South Korea was the number one consumer of SPAM outside the U.S..

If you watch the video in that news story, you’ll see they talk about “Army Base Stew”, which ties in to the U.S. Military in South Korea. That said, check out this awesome recipe video how to make “Army Base Stew”, featuring SPAM!…

• April 24, 2015 at 12:54 pm

That dish looks fantastic!

• April 24, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Kyle, yep! I’m TOTALLY going to try making that “Army Base Stew”. Did you see how many ingredients went into it? CRAZY!

If anyone’s interested, I just put up a new poll in this blog post, here, asking what flavors of SPAM you’d be most interested in trying next.

• April 24, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Hey Pomai, how about a Laulau flavor Spam with bits of taro leaf in it?  After all, Spam is mostly pork, right?  And the most common type of laulau is pork!  I think it would be a smash hit here!  :)

• April 25, 2015 at 7:07 am

keoni,

OK, I thought my idea about SPAM® “Rainbow Shave Ice” was silly, but your idea about SPAM® Laulau is just utterly ridiculously silly. I hope devising food concepts isn’t your day job, because it isn’t what I do for a living, neither. I must say though, “Smash Hit” is one hell of clever SPAM® tag line, no matter what flavor it is! LOL!!!!!!!!!

• April 26, 2015 at 2:30 pm

FYI – I was just in Don Quijote (Kaheka location) earlier today and asked when they expect to get the new SPAM Portuguese Sausage Seasoning flavor, and the stock clerk said they expect to receive it Monday afternoon, with it being in-stock on the shelves by this coming Tuesday morning, (April 28th).

SPAM is on sale this week at DQ for $2.39 each.

• April 30, 2015 at 10:22 am

Update: I went back to Don Quijote Kaheka yesterday afternoon, only to find that it hasn’t arrived yet. As it turns out, I found out DIRECTLY FROM THEIR BUYER that the new SPAM Portuguese Sausage seasoning flavor isn’t expected to arrive at their store until the END OF MAY.

So until then, unless other stores may get them first,  it looks like the Waikiki SPAM JAM this Saturday is THE place for everyone to be introduced to the new flavor.

• May 1, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Thanks for saving me a trip to Don Quijote. I have orders to fill for relatives in California!

• April 27, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Spam Rafute!

In Okinawa, you can buy Spam Curry — retort-packaged diced Spam in curry sauce.

• April 29, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Opihi spam fo’ one year baby party.

• May 3, 2015 at 9:30 am

Aloha Kakahiaka Pomai.

Came home on ‘May Day is Lei Day’ and made sure that we went to the 13th Annual Waikiki Spam Jam.  I’ve got a ‘Spam Hang Over’ forsure today.  The new flavor of Spam is da bomb, here’s the thing though, I NEED to find this before we leave to go back home.

PLEASE HELP!!

A hui hou, Auntie

• May 3, 2015 at 11:32 am

Auntie Doni,

Unfortunately I missed the WAIKIKI SPAM JAM myself last night due to something that came up. Booooooh! :-( Otherwise I would have asked them right there when they expected to have the new flavor in the stores. The news article said it was supposed to arrive last week, but nope, that didn’t happen.

Like I said in my last comment, the BUYER herself at Don Quijote said they’re not getting the new Portuguese Sausage seasoning flavor in the store until the END OF MAY. However I’m not sure about the other grocery stores. Try also calling Foodland, Times, Safeway and Tamura’s, our other main supermarkets on Oahu. As a long shot, you can also try calling the buyer for Longs Drugs, and perhaps Walgreens, Target, Walmart and KMart, who also carry Hormel SPAM products (I think).

So how was it? Did it really taste like Hawaii style Portuguese Sausage, or at least close? Also, how was the texture? Hopefully it isn’t mushy like the also relatively new Teriyaki flavor. Hormel really needs to fix that.

Also, what other dish(es) at the SPAM JAM did you try?

• May 6, 2015 at 4:11 pm

So sorry for my delay in replying, we were at the BEACH!!

The Spam Jam was da bomb!  We had musubi (of course), manapua (MMM), mac&cheese balls w/siracha sauce (with the PS Spam in it) and they Spam folks were passing out an intro of PS Spam Treats, Spam Jerky that was pretty dang good. Got a Spam Musubi reusable shopping bag to take home for Mom.

We haven’t had an opportunity to ‘go shopping’ yet, but we will.

• May 3, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Auntie Doni,

A follow-up from my previous reply, as I did some of the legwork for you, calling Don Quijote, as well as Foodland, Tamura’s and Times Supermarket this morning. And all of them, except one, said they haven’t received the new SPAM Portuguese Sausage seasoning flavor yet.

The one that did say they already had it, but SOLD OUT, is Times Supermarket. Hopefully they’ll get another shipment before you leave!

• May 6, 2015 at 4:14 pm

… as to your follow up Pomai, we were at Foodland Matket City, Walmart Beretania and Safeway Aikahi Park … NO MORE!!

24 days and counting

• May 6, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Auntie Doni,

Glad you enjoyed the SPAM JAM. I’m really bummed I missed it, as I got unexpectedly tied-up. That’s OK, there’s always next year. I’ve been to many before, and it is one of the best block parties Waikiki has to offer.

Make sure you check out my complete review of the new SPAM Portuguese Sausage seasoning flavor here. In there, I noted this:

Other than Times Supermarket where it’s already for sale, over the course of May, the SPAM van will be making stops at various retailers around Oahu where you can try the new flavor, plus enter for your chance to win a trip for two to San Diego to see Ed Sheeran live in concert. For more information, please visit HawaiiSpamCan.com.

To note on that, I was just in Times Supermarket on S. King Street this afternoon, and they were already sold out AGAIN, after just getting more this morning! Dang!

So take note of this schedule for your best on getting some before you leave:

The times and dates of the SPAM van stops, featuring the new Portuguese Sausage flavor are:

• Thursday, May 7, 5-7 p.m. at Tamura’s Waianae
          • Friday, May 8, 5-7 p.m. at Kmart Waikele
          • Saturday, May 9, 2-4 p.m. at Waianae Store
          • Saturday, May 16, 2-4 p.m. at Longs/CVS Waipahu
          • Saturday, May 16, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at POP Fishing & Marine Open House
          • Thursday, May 21, 5-7 p.m. at Times Beretania
          • Friday, May 22, 5-7 p.m. at Foodland Ewa Beach
          • Saturday, May 23, 5-7 p.m. at Don Quijote Waipahu
          • Saturday, May 23, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Wet N Wild Hawaii
          • Saturday, May 24, 5-7 p.m at Tamura’s Wahiawa
  • May 4, 2015 at 9:15 am

Pomai:  Was in town this past week and have been checking out all the recommendations you made! The Pig and Lady bahn mi were amazing!  Went to Don Quijote and scored some Chorizo and Tocino Spam to try out. The Chorizo was terriffic! (So very close to what I hoped the PS Spam to taste like); did the Tocino two ways: by the label and just straight fried. To me, the Tocino tasted very good with a very “Char Siu”ish flavor. The straight fried version maybe suffered a little ijn comparison because it lacked the water frying to leach out the “sauce”. The texture of the To cino Spam was like that of the teri Spam; softer but still tasty. Took my son to Spam jam this weekend and delved into the tastings! Tried the Portugese Sausage flavor and it was pretty good; firmer than the tocino. It was, to me, a bit saltier than the chorizo flavor, and that seemed to mask that real PS experience. It would still be a very acceptable PS substitute (or addition) in fried rice and with eggs, etc. Went to Don Quixote on Sunday before flying out to see if they had the PS Spam, but no dice… not even a space on the shelves to mock me “snooze you lose”. While checking out the Costco, we also discovered some PS patties shaped like Spam slices (PS musubi?). Bought a pack to take home and try out. Had a great culinary trip home thanks to TS recommendations!

• May 15, 2017 at 7:23 am

Hey Pomai,

how did this flavor turn out? I didn’t know they had it. Did you ever do a review?

Best Regards