Funny Food Habits

The Cereal Box Tribune

Upon reading Rodney’s latest post this morning over at his Midlife Crisis Hawaii blog about eating cereal, it reminded me of when I was a young boy, I used to always glance over the cereal box as I ate my cereal. You ever did that?

First you start with the back of your Cap’n Crunch cereal box, all about how awesomely fun that toy prize included at the bottom will be. Then you make your way to the left side of the box, reading over all the nutritional information, right down to the very last “ingrediment”. Finally to the other side, where it’s usually some boring stuff about how good Cap’n Crunch breakfast cereal is for you. The nutritional information on the other side of the box was much more interesting to read, right? Then when you’re done eating, you can barely remember anything you’ve just read on the box. It was purely “dining entertainment”. Ha-hah!

I swear, breakfast cereal and milk just wasn’t complete unless I had the box right in front of me to read while eating it.

Poi, my Boy

Whenever I eat Hawaiian food, I typically don’t just shovel it in my mouth like you do. Nope. What I do is, I place small portions of the sea salty-savory goodness — whether it be Kalua Pig, Laulau, Lomi Salmon, Pipi Kaula, or Big Island Paniolo style Smoke Meat — stay on top da’ spoonful of poi, laddat. Kinda’ like a “poi-meets-salty-savory, ono kine dip” if you will. Winnahz!

Pick-ee Eater

Another funny, if not weird thing I still do to this day is, I’ll sometimes eat a complete dish, one part at time, not in unison. So, say I have a plate of Turkey, stuffing ‘n gravy, with mash potatoes and steamed vegetables on the side. What I’ll do is eat all the turkey first, and that’s it. Nothing else. Then when that’s pau, I’ll hit just the stuffing, and  that’s it. Then I’ll polish off the mash potatoes, and that’s it. Then I’ll finish the plate by polishing off the steamed veggies. Each part of the dish, one at a time. Not da’ kine, little bit of this, little bit of that. Weird, right?

Hashi, preaze.

Another weird thing I do is, while I have no asian blood whatsoever, most of the time I eat with only chopsticks, regardless of what the food is. I hardly ever use a fork, knife and spoon at the table. Like seriously, unless it’s something like steak that needs a fork and knife — or obviously ice cream, or I’m at a formal restaurant — most of the time at home or at a casual restaurant, I’ll use hashi (chopsticks). That’s why I truly believe I must have been Japanese in my past life.

With that, whenever I eat Chicken Noodle Soup (usually only when I have a cold, or I’m just lazy to cook anything else), I’ll actually use chopsticks to eat the slippery-soft noodles and spare bits of chicken cubes in it. Then I’ll drink the soup straight out of the bowl, pretty much like eating Japanese Ramen, no spoon required. I’ll even go as far as fishing the cracked pieces of soda cracker in the chicken soup broth with my hashi.

Ketchup Krazy

Not speaking for myself, however I do know some folks who are krazy about ketchup, adding it to just about EVERYTHING that goes in their mouth, from pizza, to spaghetti, eggs ‘n rice. steak, mash potatoes, to even laulau and kalua pig. I’ve seen ketchup used in the weirdest ways imaginable, save for ice cream. Haven’t seen anyone do ketchup ice cream… yet. Thank God.

Military-Grade Presentation

My friend used to work for this tour company taking tourists to various military bases around Oahu (this was way before 9/11). And at this one base (I think it was Schofield), never failed when they went to have lunch at the cafeteria, he’d run across this retired Air Force general, who’d hit the salad bar and stay there FOREVER plating his salad.

“The General” would methodically first arrange his sliced cucumbers all in a perfectly symmetrical circular perimeter as a foundation on his plate. Next on that, a symmetrically-placed layer of sliced carrots.

Then repeat the process in layers with the tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, olives, lettuce, croutons, and whatever else, ending up with the most symmetrically-perfect, fully-loaded salad you’ve ever seen, like only a mathematically correct retired Air Force general could pull off.

He said it was frickin’ HILARIOUS, yet incredible all at the same time!

Mission Control

I think I told you folks this before, about my food “binges”. I’ll often go on a “Saimin kick”, eating just saimin and/or ramen noodles for lunch and/or dinner for weeks at a time. Then I’ll get totally sick of it and not touch the stuff for MONTHS.

Then next I’ll go on a “Shrimp Cocktail Kick”, eating shrimp cocktail every day after work as a treat for about a week, then I’ll get totally sick of Shrimp Cocktail, and not eat Shrimp Cocktail again for MONTHS. Did I say shrimp cocktail enough? OK, just checking.

Other food “binges” I also go on include poke, sashimi, fries, fully loaded baked potatoes, cheese ‘n crackers, tuna sandwiches and ice cream.

Sleep Walk Diner

Speaking of ice cream, a more bad than funny or weird habit I have is snacking in the wee hours of the morning, no pun intended.

Sometimes when I get up in the middle of the night to take a leak, after that I think to myself, “Damned, I sure could go for some ice cream right about now.” I’ll then proceed to engorge myself at 2am in the morning with about 1/4th of a half-gallon tub of Butter Pecan,  before forcing myself to put it back in the freezer. And no, I don’t use a bowl. Straight outta’ the tub, baby!

“Pomaiian” Time

One thing you can count on when I’m in charge of the kitchen and the cooking, is counting on waiting for your dinner to arrive. As in, if dinner is supposed to be served at 6pm sharp, and Pomai’s the cook? Plan on eating at about 7 or 8pm. For realz! I swear, I have TERRIBLE kitchen management skills.

However it’s not because I’m not aware of it, or that I don’t know how. It’s just I don’t give a flying fu%#. You eat when I’m good and ready to serve, damned it! I take my sweet @ss time, you know, cleaning as I cook, being sidetracked by checking my emails and surfing the web on my phone. Pouring another glass of wine. You know. What REAL home cooks do!

Wassup, Doc

I usually never leave well enough alone in the kitchen, always “doctoring up” dishes with more pepper here, more butter there. Use this instead of that. And I also often mess with recipes, trying to make them “my own”. And with that, I’ve had my share of screw-ups, while also having an equal amount of triumphs. Of course you can’t play “doctor” with baking, being it’s mostly a science. Which is why for the most part, I don’t bake.

Chef Google

No matter what I’m cooking, even if I know how to make it in my head, or have a cookbook I’m following, never fails, I ALWAYS do further research on the web about the dish. I just have a habit wanting to learn more about the dish I’m making, and other ways I can go about preparing it.

A funny note on that, a friend of mine told me he has a family doctor they nickname “Dr. Google”. Reason being, this so-called “Dr. Google” doctor actually searches the web for answers to their health concerns during one-on-one office visits, and even has the b@lls to print out copies of the results, complete with the url stamp at the top and bottom of the page. Un-Effin’-Believa-Ble.

Low Rider

Back to being Japanese at heart, another odd habit of mine at home, is I prefer eating while sitting on the floor, not sitting on a chair at the dinner table. I think this goes back once again to my little boy days, when I’d always sit in front of the TV on the floor while eating my snacks after school. So now at home I have this long, low coffee table in my living room, where I’ll always sit on the floor eating my meals there, instead of on my regular dinner table and chairs.

Your Turn

Please share your funny, zany and weird food habits!

The Tasty Island related links:
“Houdini” the Bread Tie (Kitchen Pet Peeves)
Eating Trends Through the Years
pFunny pFood pSigns

38 thoughts on “Funny Food Habits

• April 11, 2015 at 11:20 am

Pomai:

You realize that you might have opened a can o’ worms here. We ALL have weird food habits. That’s why we’re on your blog. Born & raised in The Islands, of course, Shoyu on EVERYTHING. It’s the “local” version of ketchup for “Haoles”.  My Haole friends put straight ketchup on eggs, toast, fish, whatever. We put Shoyu on eggs, especially scrambled eggs, canned tuna straight in the can or turned over on a plate, on avocado sliced or in the shell.  Shoyu makes anything taste good.

I am a complete streak eater too.  Went through a baked potato thing for years. Would have at least one huge baked potato a day. Half microwaved, then halved, thrown in the toaster oven to finish off.  Put shredded cheese on top and would mash it in the halved skins. Voila.  It was a ritual.

Jello.  For weeks on end. With scoop of cottage cheese over it. Or yogurt.

Kim chee. Don’t even get me started. Those huge plastic containers you see at Times. I can eat an entire container in one sitting. It’s just cabbage right?  But that is like ten years’ worth of sodium allowance per container. Oh well. So worth it.

I still read whatever container is in front of me. If it’s the yogurt container, milk carton, syrup bottle, if it’s there, I’ll read it. The ingredients, the little odds and ends about the product or company or cows they use. Especially if there’s a recipe on the back, like the back of a box of brown sugar.

Love sitting low/at the coffee table, in the living room, watching TV. I think it makes you feel like you’re at a picnic?  Or maybe it’s “tribal”.  All I know is it can make the food taste better.  Similar to eating at the beach/park. Something about the sea air, the sunshine, everything tastes more vibrant.

You’re NOT alone. Eating is very individual, ritualistic. Part of the pleasure.

Have a great weekend!

• April 11, 2015 at 11:48 am

Mimi,

Yup, can o’ worms, indeed. I just spilled my guts on my most guilty food pleasures.. and darned it, I’m proud of it! Tee-hee!

That’s a great word and concept about eating I missed: ritualistic. I have one on that I need to add to my list.

Wow, those are some food streaks, indeed! I can see “binging” on Kim Chee. I’m sure one day I’ll go into “Kim Chee mode”, and eat that every day from then on until I get completely sick of it.

Nice tip on making baked potatoes half nuked, half baked in the toaster oven. I’ll try that next time. Usually I just nuke it, however you know it’s not nearly as good as baked in the oven. I just like the speed and convenience. I wanna’ try that baked potato microwave bag, which they claim makes it taste as good as baked.

You know, I’m not really a shoyu person, nor am I a rice person, as we all know most locals can’t go a day without shoyu and rice, not me. I’m good without it. I’m more a potatoes and (choke!) butter kinda’ guy. Whoo-tah! I mean, yeah, if it needs shoyu, such as sashimi or tofu, of course, but not on everything.

Funny you say you read of ALL the containers of the food you’re using. Me, I take that one step further, and go to the manufacturer’s website and/or Amazon to read even MORE about it, including consumer reviews!

I think you’re right about sitting on the floor, using a low coffee table to eat. It is a tribal thing. Again, a “ritual” if you will, that really does make food taste better.

As for eating food at the beach, it’s called negative ions. Nothing beats eating a nice ume and nori musubi at the beach, while smelling da’ smoke from the teriyaki beef and chicken barbecuing on da’ hibachi… da’ bes’!

• April 11, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Streak eating is why Costco rotates frozen food and prepared dishes.,

• April 11, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Pat,

I’m not clear what you mean by that.

• April 12, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Oh. Costco has many frozen items the carry for three or so months. Then they wait for the next year because the consumers get tired. Manager here on kauai told me.,

• April 12, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Ah. Wakarimasu, yo.

• April 11, 2015 at 4:38 pm

I have a Dr. who googles things during appointments, but oddly it made me feel more confident about him. I had a kind of odd issue and he googled it to explain it to me. I was like “oh, that was really cool” but now that you put it the way you did in your post, I’m thinking “hmm, lazy creep, he should have known the answer anyway, it was that hard to explain.

Weird food habits:

gotta have ketchup to dip grilled cheese into!!

LEMON/LIME on everything possible (even sprinkle true lemon powdered lemon juice on popcorn)

I like to mush everything together and eat it that way (when I’m at home, not in public, not even at anyone else’s home). For instance, thanksgiving leftovers, for me, turn into a sort of layered bowl of goodness.

Like you, I go on food jags like a child. Lately, it’s been those tiny clementines. I think I go through a 3lb bag a day, and consume nothing else but water. I can’t get enough of them. Sometimes it’s cherry tomatoes. Whatever it is, I’ll eat that, and only that, till I’m sick of the sight of it. Hopefully my clementine obsession will end before the season is over. I just finished my last bag and I am seriously going through withdrawal.

Finally, I like to eat baked potatoes with mustard and ketchup. Weird. I know.

• April 11, 2015 at 5:55 pm

h,

More like, “Hmm, I could have done that myself! So-called “Doctor” creep.” lol

OK, I get ketchup with a grilled cheese sammy, as that replicates dipping it into tomato soup. To note, grilled cheese sandwiches aren’t (seemingly) that popular here in Hawaii. Although it SHOULD be!

Totally, TOTALLY with you on lemon and/or lime on everything possible. But dang, they’re relatively expensive in the stores now. Currently it’s about $1 per lemon. $1 per lemon! That’s absurd, especially considering I can get them for FREE in mom’s backyard.

Mushing food together? Raises hand. Guilty! It’s the total opposite of my penchant in eating a complete meal of a dish in separate components, as explained.

“Food Jag”? Ha ha! I LOVE that description!  I actually had to look-up Clementines, as that’s not a common fruit here in Hawaii. We have something similar called Calamansi (Filipino), which is like a very tiny version of a Clementine (a citrus hybrid of orange and tangerine, mixed with a bit of lime).

Baked Potato with mustard and ketchup? Hmmm… while I’ve never thought of it, I’ll have to give that one a shot!

• April 15, 2015 at 1:54 pm

What you call a calamansi is what we called Calamondin in FL. We had a tree, and a Kumquat tree (and key lime, mango, banana, lychee and fig) in the backyard of my childhood home. Anyway, it’s not really like a clementine. A clementine is like a mandarin, or like a small, easy to peel, seedless tangerine. Because they are small and so easy to peel, it’s so easy to go through a shocking quantity of them. Lately, it’s all I’ve wanted to eat.

I hear ya on the price of lemons and limes. The price was so low in FL, when I moved to PA, it was shocking. That’s where I discovered a product that is exactly llike fresh limes and lemons, unlike that nasty stuff in the lemon shaped bottle or the “real” lemon juice. Happy days for me, because I can’t live w/o lemon (or lime) water.

I can’t believe grilled cheese isn’t popular there. It’s one of my favorite foods!! As for the mustard and ketchup on baked potatoes, it started simply because it was healthier than sour cream, but turns out it’s crave-worthy.

Speaking of Dr. Google, on sunday, my mom had a horrible accident in her home. I took her to the emergency room, it was pretty serious. The ER doc was so condescending and wouldn’t give me specifics. I asked how to cae for her after a concussion, he was like “did I SAY she had one?” um, no, you implied. And then “she does, but I hadn’t said it yet… anyway, you’ll get full education on how to care for her before you leave” So yeah, all the patient discharge info? Was a stack of web MD type stuff. I mean this is a woman who came in bleeding from her eyes (HER EYES!!!!) and all I got was a dumb stack of stuff I could have found online. I was so mad. Never going back to that emergency room.

• April 17, 2015 at 10:16 pm

h,

YIKES! Hope your mom is OK! I actually refer to WebMD.com a lot when I have any health-related concerns or questions. IMO, it’s the most useful, reliable and accurate online medical resource. It definitely helps keep any “doctor” like you ran into away, that’s for sure. Better than an apple a day. ;-)

The only eatery I’m aware of in Honolulu that specialized in grilled cheese sandwiches was a food truck named MELT, which has since closed.

I can sense a baked potato “binge” coming on soon, and I’ll definitely take you up on trying ketchup ‘n mustard on it. Any tips how to do it? Butter? S&P? Yes? No? Anything else on it? I KNOW you gotta’ have LOTSA’ MELTED CHEESE on your baked potato, h. Come on, I know you better than that by now. :-P

Regarding the high prices of limes (not lemons), it’s probably still fallout from the “Mexican limepocalypse

Not really a Calamansi or Tangerine fan, myself. I’ll stick with good ‘ole oranges and grapefruit.

Not sure if you read my recent post on Chesa, a.k.a. Canistel, however, I recently tried blending it in my Nutri Ninja with strawberries, blackberries and bananas, and it was DELICIOUS! Super creamy, kinda’ eggy, almost like a natural milk shake, albeit with absolutely no dairy in it. Next time you see Canistel, try it in your food processor with other fruits. Ono!

• April 25, 2015 at 10:55 am

My mom’s doing ok, but between her eyes and broken, purple, swollen nose, the stitches, combined with the limp because she had foot surgery the week before, she’s feeling a bit monster-like. The worst part – I swear, it’s like a country song – she lost her job a few days before she had foot surgery, and now with this, she’s not exactly in interviewing shape, unless it’s for a haunted house.

I don’t need a specialty grilled cheese shop. Just plain old diner/denny’s/dunkin’ donuts type will do for me. Two pieces of bread, butter, american cheese. Tomato if I’m feeling fancy, pickle if I’m feeling adventurous and a big pool of ketchup for dipping.

Baked potatoes…. well, they have to be rock hard on the outside. I love that. Sometimes I roast potatoes till they’re crunchy on the outside and nothing is left inside. Ok, so I hate butter on baked potatoes. I like sour cream, black pepper, cheese and a TON of scallions or chives. I’m also happy with just ranch dressing. Or, as I said before mustard and ketchup. I’m not too picky. Just no butter.

I’ll have to search for Canistel. A fruit I haven’t experienced… that’s always a happy challenge for me. I’ll let you know if I find it. Is it a seasonal thing? I’ll check h-mart.

• April 11, 2015 at 6:37 pm

I like to microwave my whole potatoes for 2 min then cut them up irregular size for pan GB (golden brown) fried breakfast potatoes with salt, ground pepper and garlic or I’ll add diced onions and peppers. I do the same 2 min microwave and then cut up potatoes to irregular size and slow fry them not GB on the griddle Greek style till cooked through with paprika and olive oil or peel and cut potatoes onto medium dice and fry GB for hash brown potatoes. With my mandolin I can cut potatoes into fine matchsticks and make hash brown patties or shred potatoes on my box grater to make hash browns. I sometimes cut potatoes into fine matchsticks and fill my bird’s nest cooker to deep fry potatoes into bird’s nest shape to fill with cooked green peas or sauté mushrooms.

One of my habits I have is Boston Baked Beans homemade in pressure cooker or store bought B&M Baked Beans in can. I can’t eat them without adding a little sugar. I’ll find a way mix anything with Boston Baked Beans to make a meal of it! YES I even made Kimchee Baked Beans one night and it was so ono!! I also have to add ketchup to all my egg omelets and ketchup on my hot dogs when I make beans and franks but no ketchup; only mustard when I am eating a hot dog in a roll. Also I don’t like plain white rice but go crazy over Chinese fried rice with shoyu and love Japanese flavored sushi rice. Growing up I never drank regular white milk but I’ll kill a gallon of coffee milk in 5 min flat (coffee milk is considered the state drink from where I come from and I am very happy Hawaii makes coffee syrup)!

• April 11, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Ken,

Your method of preparing and cooking potatoes is pretty normal. Not funny at all. LOL!

I like Bush’s Baked Beans, while don’t really care for Van Camp’s Pork and Beans. Interesting note on the latter: my parents practically LIVED on Van Camp’s Pork and Beans when they were poor in their younger years, while my dad was in college. True story! Nothin’ but canned Pork ‘n Beans and Corned Beef ‘n rice for dinner!

Interesting note on the hot dog with only mustard. I know there’s “sticklers” about that.

Not a fried rice fan, myself. Sushi rice? Definitely. I love the slight sweet ‘n tangy “zip” from the Sushi-Su.

Obviously “Coffee Milk” isn’t a big thing here in Hawaii (Mr. Rhode Island-meets-Makaha Man, you), however, as a kid, I used to “kill” ice cold jugs of Chocolate Milk!

• April 12, 2015 at 8:15 pm

If you’ve never had coffee milk then you should try it!!! 100% made in Hawaii coffee syrup from Hawaii grown coffee is manufactured by “Upcountry Farms Specialties” on Maui and sold Isles wide under the name “Maui Coffee Syrup” (I think) as I purchase from on Oahu at Waialua Estate at the Old Sugar Mill in Waialua on the North shore. All you need is a cold glass of white milk and a couple tablespoons of coffee syrup or more depending on your individual taste and remember, one you go there you can’t go back! On the mainland Autocrat Coffee Syrup from Rhode Island is distributed across all 48 lower states.

• April 11, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Oh my G I love this post! My funny kine food habits:

Yep, I used to read the cereal box while I ate a bowl of cereal. If there was a prize in the cereal box, I’d open it, dump the cereal into a large pot to fish out the prize, then pour the cereal back into the inner waxed bag. Had to have that toy surprise in the cereal, no patience to finish off the cereal!

My mom used to serve Swanson’s TV dinner as an after school snack…back when it was packaged in the aluminum foil tray. (Man I’m old!)  And it had to be the Fried Chicken dinner, none of the other TV dinners. I would eat everything but the chicken meat. I only liked the crunchy coating, mashies, buttered corn, and brownie! And I had to have lots of black pepper in my mashed potatoes, with extra butter. My mom would eat the meat.

You know how some people would salt their food before even taking a bite? I have the opposite problem: I pepper my food before tasting it. Lots of pepper. Preferably freshly ground. And it has to be coarse, not finely ground. And hot sauce, too. Must have hot sauce (but never on eggs. Go figure). It has to be Louisiana hot sauce, not a fan of Tabasco (too watery and vinegary). And Sriracha. When I read that the company that makes Sriracha was forced to shut down temporarily a while back due to people complaining about the odors from their factory, I almost lost it! Stockpiled whatever bottles I could find.

I am Japanese and I do use chopsticks when I’m eating Asian food. But when it comes to cooking? Hashi all the way. The long bamboo ones with the little pukas in each one and tied together with a thin white string, or long metal ones, depending on what I am cooking. Just have to cook with hashi, not cooking utensils. Like mother, like daughter.

I go on food binges, too. For weeks it would be instant ramen I’d “fortify” with fresh veggies (won bok, green onion, bean sprouts, shredded carrots, a dollop of white miso, half a packet of the seasoning, and an egg mixed in at the end, doused with lots of Togarashi!). Then I’d get sick of it and not eat it for months. Or Pho. With extra fresh jalapenos, not pickled, Thai basil (not regular basil) and lime, not lemon.

Lately it’s been old-fashioned oatmeal. Here’s the kicker: I HATED oatmeal as a kid. Could not STAND the stuff. Didn’t matter that I’d drown it in lots of brown sugar and milk; could not stomach oatmeal (I think it was the lumpy, gummy texture that turned me off.) Now I LOVE oatmeal! I eat it almost every morning, sometimes even for dinner! What turned me into an oatmeal convert?  I grind up the oatmeal in a blender into a finer texture, like flour, with some oat flakes still left in it. More like a cream of wheat texture. And cook it in the microwave with water instead of milk (I think cooking it with milk makes it lumpy and gummy.) Then mix in a handful of trail mix, frozen blueberries or half of a sliced banana or cut up apple, lots of ground cinnamon (Saigon cinnamon only) and a big splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Tomatoes. Hate fresh tomatoes with a passion. Regular ones, Romas, Heirloom, cherry, grape tomatoes. All of it makes me gag. Can’t ever have it in a sandwich. Or green salad. If there are tomatoes in my salad, I won’t eat it. Yet if it’s oven roasted, I will eat it. Or if it’s a by product (ketchup, pasta/pizza sauce, salsa, etc.), no problem.

Rice. I don’t eat rice at home. Only when I’m dining out. I cook rice at home I will want it ALL the time. I am one of those rare women that do not like shopping (except grocery shopping, books, or gadgets) so in order to manage my weight, no rice in my house!

Quirks of mine (I have many more, but we won’t go there.) There are two things I do not, will not, can not, refuse to share with anyone….be it a boyfriend, family or even my best friend! That would be champagne (I cringe if I have to pour just one glass for you!) and Gau Gee Mein. If you eat Chinese kau kau with me or imbibe in champers, you gotta get your own. No exception. Everything else I will happily share, but bubbly and Gau Gee Mein? It ain’t gonna happen. Nuh uh.

My other quirk is cruising the grocery stores when I travel. I love exploring grocery stores when I’m away from home! Love checking out what kine stuff they got that I can’t find where I live. Especially grocery stores back home on Oahu; I just marvel at the food prices, aside from the selection. Good thing I don’t drink dairy milk ‘cuz no way jose would I pay $8 to $10 bucks for a gallon, auwe!

I, too, prefer to eat sitting on the floor while reading or watching TV. Only if I’m eating alone though; otherwise I eat at the table.

P.S. I really dig your taste in music…almost mirrors my own ecclectic musical tastes. I am a fan of one-hit wonders, especially the obscure ones that almost no one has heard of, or forgotten about.

• April 11, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Lalena,

Wow, dump the cereal in a pot to sort out the prize? Extreme! Me, I was “savage”, simply sticking my hand in the box, (little boy sized) arm-deep to retrieve it. Sugar and cereal crumbs all stuck in my fingernails, “no scade ’em”. lol

OK, if you remember when Swanson’s TV dinners were sold in aluminum trays, YOU ARE OLD. ME TOO! Ha ha! And yeah, the Swanson’s Fried Chicken TV dinner was the best! Oh boy, and here I am often saying how much I don’t like chicken. Sigh.

Regarding adding pepper, raises hand! Oh yeah, before even tasting ANYTHING, if there’s black pepper around — preferably in a grinder — it’s ON! I MEAN, ON!!!

Hot sauce? Nope. Not a fan. However, being you’re Japanese, I do admit I LOVE Wasabi, however that’s a different kind of “hot”. More “Sinus Hot”. Ya’ know?

Speaking of which, same here regarding cooking. Hashi all the way. There’s just way more control in how you can manipulate the food in the pan or pot. Hashi RULES!

Whoah, girlfriend, you kick @ss with “fortifying” your instant ramen! And I thought I was good at it!

Interesting story about your love-hate relationship with oatmeal. I covered that in my previous post, titled Eating Trends Through the Years. Trail Mix added in oatmeal (or any cereal for that matter) sounds fantastic! Never thought of doing that, but next time I will! Mahalo for the tip, Lalena!

Wow. Interesting about your total resentment towards tomatoes. You know what it is? Your palate is way too “Japanese”. Tomato-based dishes really are a European “thang” if you will. Actually, I think it’s the acidity of tomatoes (which BTW is a fruit) you don’t care for.

Regarding rice, yup, the carbs will raise your glucose, hence your weight, even if its brown rice. Best to minimize unless you’re running marathons every weekend.

Hey, Lalena my beautiful darling, may I have a sip (or two, or three, or four) of your bubbly-crisp Champagne and bite of your silky-delicious Gau Gee Mein? I’ll do anything you want me too for it, my gorgeous Lalena. Did I convince you, yet? lol

Not needing to travel for it, have you ever been to Pacific Market in Waipa-HOO!? TOTAL. TRIP. You must check that place out. Seriously, you can spend an ENTIRE DAY there just reading labels of all the imported Filipino, Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese and every other “Asian-nese” foods they have in stock there! Pacific Market ROCKS!

Being straight-up, I prefer eating alone. That way I can pig out, and not be criticized for it. lol

Glad you like my taste in music. I’m an 80s to late 70s kinda’ guy.

Mahalo for spilling your guts out too, Lalena, about all your funny food habits. You totally rock!

• April 13, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Pomai-san,

I used to use my little stubby fingers and hand to dig out the toy out of the box, but it took too long and my hand endied up covered in cereal crumbs. So my akamai 8 year-old mind thought of dumping out the cereal and using mom’s cooking hashi to pick up the toy ha ha! Irked my mom when I’d do that, but I didn’t care. I just wanted the damn toy surprise!

Yes, I’m a fossil (a friend’s young son called me that! Ho da nerve I tell you!) I used to watch Checkers and Pogo every day after school while eating my Swanson’s Fried Chicken TV dinner in the sectioned aluminum tray, or some of cookies from the Nabisco Assortment pack (I don’t remember the exact name of it, but it came in a pink packaging). Which I would wash down with a glass or three of Xchange Orangeade drink with lots of ice. Yeah, I stay old now lol!

Glad to know there’s someone else who shares my black pepper obsession. Friends tease me about that. All the time. It’s better than the salt shaker habit in my book.

You know, I was never a fan of spicy food. (You’re correct: wasabi is more of a ooooh weee clear the sinuses hot, not savory hot/spicy like hot sauce or peppers.) That is until I moved to Korea during my formative years. (I was a rug rat – navy version of a military brat, thanks to Dad’s civilian career working for the Department of the Navy.) Taegu (or Daegu) is where we were stationed. Our live-in housekeeper/my Omoni (Korean for mother) cooked Korean mostly, so that’s what we ate. The first time I ate authentic Korean food (unlike Hawaii style, which is the watered down version), I fell instantly, madly in love with it. I was only too happy to eat it every day. Soon Dubu Jigae. Kalbi Tang. Yukkaejang (my favorite, make it extra spicy, ajuma!). Adore Samgyapseol (grill your own sliced pork belly with lettuce leaves and condiments to wrap it in). Bibimguksu. Dolsot Bibimbap (Always in a stone pot. Always.) Or a bowl of hot rice and of kimchi, to which I would mix in more gochigaru (Korean hot pepper powder) to make it spicier! Except when Dad cooked when he didn’t want Korean. Nothing fancy – kalua pork, spam with everything and anything (another food I don’t care for, Spam, or the email kind for that matter), beef or tripe stew or beef curry (don’t like tripe), chicken or pork adobo, chili, hamburger steak. He even made lau lau sans luau leaf (subbed fresh spinach for it) and ti leaf (foil packets). Turned out pretty good. Omoni, however, was not a fan. She took one bite and said in her thick Korean accented English, “Deddee, I don’ like dees lau lau!” He chuckled.

So you were a Nihonjin in your previous life, and I was definitely a Korean in mine I would take Korean food over Japanese any day. (Sorry Ma!) I even make my own kimchi. Because no self respecting Korean would every buy premade kimchi. The best kimchi is winter kimchi, when it’s buried deep underground in earthenware pots. DA BEST!

I always feel guilty about eating junk like instant ramen. So I thought if I added some fresh veggies it would make it a little more nutritious! Kind of like when I gorge on french fries sometimes (love Mickey D’s fries. Health be damned I need salty crispy taters dammit!). I always order a salad with fries (no tomatoes, cheese and croutons, please). To balance things out, I guess. Or ease the guilt.

Nuts are rich in Omega 3 oil and raisins are rich in iron so I like nuts in my oatmeal to boost the nutritional content and it adds texture. Makes oatmeal a little less plain and boring. Never thought to add cereal to oatmeal. Put a big handful of trail mix in your bowl of oatmeal, you’ll like it!  Nowadays I don’t eat packaged cereal anymore. Or bread. Or pasta. And as you know, my beloved rice. If I want bread, pasta or rice, it’s always when I eat out, never at home. Ugh the things fossils like me have to do to keep from becoming momona!

What I dislike about raw tomatoes? The smell, texture and taste of it. As a kid I’d smother it with copious amounts of mayo and black pepper (yes I am a black pepper addict all the way back from childhood) and even then I could not down it. I think your theory about my disdain for tomatoes is correct, though. Us Japanese do not eat tomatoes like other folks do. Or cheese. It’s not because I’m lactose intolerant; I love ice cream and gelato. But cheese? Not a huge fan. Once in a really blue moon if I’m too lazy to cook, I’d make a meal out of a small wedge of camebert or brie, grapes, water crackers, and cornichons (gotta have a veggie in there!) And a glass or two (or three) of a really good zin. Or a buttery chard.

Oh, my handsome darling Pomai, my kau kau twin, such a smooth, suave charmer you are (smiles sweetly and bats skimpy Japanee’ eyelashes at you). A big Grumpy Cat NO! You gotta get your own bubbly and Gau Gee Mein. Hmmm…I may change my mind and give you a big splash in your glass if you….paint my bathroom walls, massage my feet and hand feed me champagne grapes!  Ohhhhhkaaayy I’ll be nice. I will share champers and gau gee mein with you, and I won’t even cringe on the inside as I pour you a glass (promise!). BTW, I like soft gau gee mein, not fried. No problem when it comes to sharing because everyone I know likes fried gau gee mein. Why I will never know. I mean, you can’t even taste the gau gee when it’s deep fried! Must have plenny pake-style mustard and shoyu dipping sauce for my gau gee. And no baby corn. Hate that stuff, it’s so gross.

The only time I go to Waipa-hoo on my visits home is to eat at Elena’s Fine Filipino Foods. An old friend’s college classmate’s parents used to own and run the place, Mr. and Mrs. Butuyan. Now it’s the Butuyan’s kids (I know their daughter Mel) run the joint. Love their kare-kare, pork adobo, pinakbet and beef sinigang. I need to go to that Pacific Market next time. I would be so stoked if they carry Green Tea and Strawberry flavored Kit-Kat bars. I will stockpile those suckas and pack it in my luggage to take home! They’re only available in Japan and online. Arigato for that tip; looks like I will be spending a few hours there next time I’m home.

Pomai, thanks for replying to my wordy post. Glad you got a chuckle at my food quirks. Nice to know that I’m not the only weirdo when it comes to certain foods or my food related quirks/idiocyncracies. I enjoyed reading your post on “Eating Trends Through The Years” and definitely related to some of the eating trends. Mang, you must’ve been a Nihonjin in another life; even I DON’T like natto! And I’m Nihonjin in the present life LOL! It’s the smell and slimy texture that turns me off. Mom ate that stuff almost every day, with a raw egg and shoyu mixed in over hot rice. Ugh I can still remember the smell of it. The natto that’s sold in Asian markets are not as stinky as real Japanese natto. The real deal is really hauna. Like cut up Durian hauna. If you ever eaten durian, you will know why in Singapore durian can not be eaten inside hotel rooms. No lie. Ono, but oh the odor. Enough to knock you off your feet and then some.

You rock as well, Pomai! Thanks to your blog I can visit “home” for a little while, keep up with the food scene since I’ve been living away from the islands over…a lot of years.

Aloha,

Lalena

• April 14, 2015 at 1:02 am

Lalena,

Wow, you and I sure do think alike. Probably TOO alike. Ha ha!

A little more about me thinking I may have been Japanese in my past life, this may sound weird, but I may been a downed WWII Japanese fighter pilot. Reason I say that, and this is the truth, ever since I can remember, and even to this day, ‘ll sometimes get recurrent dreams/nightmares of flying a WWII figther aircraft and being shot down at sea and being stranded there. Put 2+2 together with my love of Japanese culture and food, and there you go. Of course I take that with a grain of rice (instead of salt), however it is something I’ve always thought about.

Not only that, how ironic is it that my parents would have careers that allowed me to travel to Japan throughout my upbringing. I’ve traveled to Japan (mostly Tokyo, however a few visits to Gifu and Osaka) over 40 times throughout my childhood and teenage years. Most of the marketing business my dad did for Hawaii’s Papaya industry during the 70s and 80s was in Japan, at the time Hawaii’s largest market outside the U.S.

Because of that, I’ve gotten pretty good with Nihongo. Not as good speaking now as before, however I’m pretty good with comprehending it.

Add on top of that, I’m Soka Gakkai Buddhist, self-converted from Catholicism since I was 15.

There’s something deeper going on, if you ask me.

I’ll respond further to your yet again awesome comments in the next reply.

• April 14, 2015 at 1:24 am

Lalena,

You talking about toy prize and Japanese, I can’t help but think about Tomoe Ame candy that also still comes with a prize. Now it’s usually something mundane like an ink tattoo transfer. Before, IIRC, Tomoe Ame had a plastic toy. And of course we can’t forget how thrilling it was to eat the rice paper wrapper, thinking to yourself how cool it is to be eating was seemed like plastic wrap. LOL

I was one of the kids on the set of a Checkers & Pogo episode, taped then at the KGMB studios on Kapiolani Blvd., taking part in the popular Pie Eating Contest. I wasn’t the one who got to “Pie” Pogo in the face though. Shucks.

I go through about 2 giant Kirkland Pepper Mills a year, that’s how much fresh crack black I use.

Talking about all that hardcore Korean food, have you ever been to Ah Lang, a.k.a. “The Angry Korean Lady”? I think you’ll really love not just the food, but “AKL” herself, who is the EPITOME of “Omoni”!

Regarding Kim Chee, my mom’s Korean neighbor would sometimes bring her large jars of homemade Kim Chee. Good stuff. She uses fish sauce in it, which I think is the secret to really tasty, authentic Kim Chee.

Which isn’t far different than Nihonjin folks who prefer to make their own Namasu and other Tsukemono. My mom’s good friend (local Japanese) made the most excellent homemade Namasu.

Lalena, I’ll respond to the rest of your comment tomorrow. Gotta’ hit the sack. Oyasumi!

• April 12, 2015 at 1:45 am

Pomai, I am kind of person who planed to eat a certain in the school cafeteria like

roast turkery on menu lunch but when it my turn they turn around serve me hamburger.

This happen a few time and my friends all had turkery or other food of the day.

That why I quit eating lunch in school and just sit around campus till next class and go

home to eat lunch at 4:00pm.  I start of me protesting what ever going on around me.

I try never to follow the crowd and walk to a beat of my own drum.  Which why I became

a designer .

• April 12, 2015 at 4:01 am

Funny people does different thing and sometime strange to be radical.  i also to

certain thing from other people.  I eat cereal with chocolate sauce on top or

strawberry sauce and whip cream.  My family can’t stand it but it me. But funny

before restaurants and fast food places started adding fries and onion rings to

burgers I been doing that for long time as a kids  Now called truck driver special.

• April 12, 2015 at 7:32 am

@ Kassy – I THINK you’re basically saying you don’t like “what the Joneses are having”.

@ Kelike – Hmmm, cereal with all kinds of stuff on it. Actually, now you can buy cereal with all that stuff already added. Before it was just sugar. Now there’s cereal with all kinds of fruit (dehydrated, then rehydrated with the milk).

Nope, don’t like fries or onion rings, or bacon for that matter in my burger. To me it robs the beef patty of its flavor, not to mention becoming even more a calorie bomb than it already is. The most I’ll go in burger toppings beyond the basics is SAUTEED MUSHROOMS. Oh yes!

• April 12, 2015 at 8:39 am

@Kassy , I was like that when in high school too.  When it was my turn they always

run out the of the day special and serve me hamburger.  This happen about 5 times to

me .  So enough is enough no more eating  at the cafeteria in school any more even

it cost back then .25 to eat there.  I too just don’t eat lunch any more .  I ask friends to

change lunch plate with me and they all said no so I told them not to see me at lunch

ever again.

• April 12, 2015 at 4:31 am

I can get a little ‘streaky’ with certain foods.  Snacks mainly.  I could be on a tortilla cheap streak and then go ‘whoa these are bad for me’ then I will switch to celery, get tired of those, then switch to pretzels, then switch to carrots.  I’ll never have chips, celery, pretzels, and carrots all in the house at the same time and change it up.  That would be too easy. It’s one or nothing.   Sometimes, I get halfway into a bag of something and go ‘I am tired of these’.  Do I substitute right away?  No.  Gotta finish the bag, then I’ll change.

My other food habit came up during the ‘pake’ thread.  I have to use up the leftovers first before considering other foods.  Victory is to consume them before they go bad.  Freezing it for later is a junior varsity move.  Throwing it away is culinary shame.

I have to be creative.  Right now, in this moment in time, I have to eat scalloped potatoes for lunch.  Gave them the ‘sniff’ test and it’s time.   And I messed up because I used up all the Easter ham for a ham sandwich.  And last night we made stir fry.  Can’t connect that dot.

Solution: bacon.  From two weeks ago.  I knew I saved it for a reason. In my world, I always have on hand certain food items that make leftovers palatable.  Because if I don’t, I get to eat the culinary equivalent of scalloped potato stir fry………….

• April 12, 2015 at 7:43 am

Arny B,

I’ve went on Salsa ‘n tortilla chips “binges” before, but not because I was necessarily repeatedly craving it. Only because I have that huge bag of Tortilla Chips and huge jar of Salsa from Costco, having to eat it all before it goes bad.

I only consider food craving binges, a.k.a. “streaks” as such, if I have to go out of my way to make or buy it, which Shrimp Cocktail would be a good example. If I’m  just using stuff up, that’s basically, well, like you said, being “Pake”. lol

What does ham and/or bacon have to do with scallloped potatoes? Do you need to eat ham or bacon with your scalloped potatoes? Or do you put it in it? Just curious.

• April 12, 2015 at 10:19 am

I can’t just eat scalloped potatoes by themselves.  Like standing on one leg.  For me, it needs some sort of protein. Preferably pork based.  Maybe that is a habit?

Being leftovers, they are destined for the microwave.  So I cube up the potatoes and pork product and heat until warm.  Mush it all together, maybe a little hot sauce (part of my pake leftover arsenal), eat em up.

• April 12, 2015 at 10:29 am

Arny,

“Pork product”? Hmmm, ever tried fried SPAM with your scalloped potatoes? Again, just curious!

• April 12, 2015 at 11:11 am

I typically pair my Spam with rice or eggs but thinking about it, I have to say the next time I get jammed up with scalloped potatoes, Spam will be the answer!!!

Question: does Spam go bad in the refrigerator?  When I crack open a can, it typically does not last long but now I am thinking it ‘may’ be a source of emergency protein for those pesky leftovers.

• April 12, 2015 at 11:25 am

ArnyB,

SPAM is no different than any other meat cold cuts, lasting about the same duration in a Zip Loc bag, which I’d give it about 5 to 7 days, max’. At least, that’s about how long it keeps in my fridge. After that, expect mold and/or a yucky sticky exterior, depending on your regional climate and fridge temperature.

You should try the Hickory Smoked SPAM flavor. That one’s the bomb! Tastes just like bacon! WAY better than even their classic SPAM!

• April 12, 2015 at 1:20 pm

I like to read your blog (or Pioneer Woman’s food blog) while I eat, and watch the Food Network. Weird, right? LOL!

• April 12, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Pomai, that left over salsa makes an excellent ingredient, along with the usual, in spaghetti sauce, stew, chili, braised beef or pork, and swiss steak.,

• April 12, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Pat, hmm. Never thought of using leftover salsa for those purposes. I guess that could work.

• April 12, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Pomai:
    It’s official. Your blog readers are absolutely, off-the-charts hilarious, completely ALL certifiable as evidenced by this thread of replies to our funny food habits. I’m speaking inclusively, as one of The Crazies who adore your blog. You could/should start group therapy for us. Venue: Pomai’s house! =:0
    Lalena’s post had me rolling, literally LOL. Pat, then you, then Pat about Costco “rotating” frozen foods. So funny. Kassy, Kelike, Arny, … I kept scrolling down, laughing so hard, like silent laughing, when you’re laughing but there’s no audible noise, just holding your stomach from laughing. And your intermittent replies to us along the “chat” thread.
    Thank you Pomai for your relate-able, honest blog, reminding us of things that comfort us. Sort of how Ochazuke or soda crackers & 7-up would bring ease when staying home sick from school.  I continue to turn to you/your posts for that priceless taste of nostalgia.

• April 12, 2015 at 10:06 pm

mimi,

Glad to hear you’re enjoying this post. It IS a fun one!

Lalena’s comment is CLASSIC, indeed! She ROCKS! Pat, Kassy, Kelike and ArnyB? Eh, not so much. Jus’ kidding! I love them!

Hmmm, Ochasuke with soda crackers and 7-Up? Now that’s pretty weird.

• April 14, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Ey Ms. Mimi!

Glad you got a good laugh out of my food quirks, because all of it is true! I am all kine crazy when it comes to food. All my life. Girlfren’ what I shared is just the tip of the iceberg; I get plenny mo’! Lots. Ever since I had my first taste of champagne, I developed this instant “Oh no I’m never sharing champagne with anyone” habit. I just can’t share it, no can!!! I mean I can literally feel myself cringing inside pouring bubbly into another glass. Good thing I have understanding friends and family in my life; they just humor me.

Glad I made you laugh. It’s Pomai’s fault – he started it! (I’m kidding Pomai ;-)

Aloha,

Lalena

• April 14, 2015 at 12:47 am

FYI to readers, the Ju-Mui new label design post has been been placed back into “draft” status (not published), as I decided to hold off until the actual product (strawberry flavor to begin with) is printed with the new label design. For the record, here again is what that looks like:

• April 17, 2015 at 3:31 pm

OMG I thought I was the only one that goes on fave food binges. I suddenly crave something – food or drink and must have it daily. One time it was Jack In the Box’s ice tea. Every evening after I walk the dogs, headed to Jacques to get one with no ice (get moe tea dat way), extra lemons and sweetner.  The most recent was Subway’s tuna sub. Every day for over a week. Another time and this lasted months, was eating mandoo as often as I could usually for lunch. I still eat Sun’s fresh ramen daily for over a year but I’m slowing down on that. Now I’m on using Safeway’s french bread daily whether in a sandwich or just slices with butter.  Still on Vietnamese food kick from Pho Mai Han whenever I can get it (i.e. not lazy to drive down to Waipahu).

I had Hawaiian friends who ate mayo on hot rice. If no mayo then always shoyu on rice.  To me unless it’s like fried rice I like my rice just plain.

When I eat french fries and a burger, I have to eat all the fries hot and first.  But that’s the only food I eat by itself just cuz it tastes moe bettah hot. My boss and another co worker both had to have food not touching each other on the plate. Since we ate in an employee cafeteria that was self serve that wasn’t too bad since they arranged the food themselves.  The same boss would  never eat fresh string beans becuz when he bit down on one, it kind of squeaks and he hated that.

I thought I was a super picky eater but I’ve discovered there are a whole lotta pickier people than me.  One gal couldn’t stand cheese on her pizza so she’d pick it all off. weird and time consuming

• April 17, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Stormy,

“Jacques”? HILARIOUS! First time I ever heard JITB referred to in the “Le Cordon Bleu” “gourmet” sense. Usually it’s the very juvenile nicknames, which I’m sure you’re familiar with.

Ordering through “Jacques” drive-through window: “Hello, welcome to Jacques, may I take you’re order?” Driver replies, “Bonjour Madame, Oui, Oui. Une Le Grande Jacques, ala Pomme Frites, ala Cabernet Souvignon combouit, se il vous plaît”. LOL!

Hmmm, Subway Tuna binge, aye? I can see doing that. I miss their Seafood & Crab. That was good, too. I used to go on Subway Cold Cut Combo binges, getting at least one a week.

I always wanted to try Pho Mai on South King, right past “Koreamoku” Street, only because the name is so similar to mine. lol

I’m not sure if you’re a guy or a gal, but DUDE, you gotta; try canned (or even better fresh) salmon topped with Mayonnaise (gotta’ be Best Foods), sprinkled with kuro goma (black sesame seeds) on a bowl of pipin’ hot steamed white rice… da’ BOMB.COM! That’s a specialty served at Izakaya (Japanese gastropubs), alongside Yakitori. Sugoi oishii yo!

Ha ha! I ALWAYS do that! First I’ll finish all the fries, then whack the burger after, sometimes being so full from just the fries, I take the burger home and heat it up later. “Poho”, laddat.

Refusing to have different food items on the same plate touch each other? Now THAT’S HILARIOUS! Almost as good as “Air Force General of Presentation”!

Not liking fresh string beans because of the squeak? That’s pretty weird, indeed.

I know several people who will sit there as long as it takes to pick out ingredients they don’t like, and didn’t have an option to leave out, otherwise. From onions, to cheese, other veggies. You name it.

Mahalo for sharing!  Funny stuff! ;-)