Happy Easter Sunday, Laddat

Stay too early fo’ wala’au about da’ ‘kine actual Eastah Sunday Grindz we stay get, cuz why? Why, what you ‘tink?! We no stay pau cook ’em, yet, das why, lolo!

Pesto Garlic Shrimp Plate from Global Kitchen. $8 bucks, laddat.

While da’ lamb stay on top da’ rack in da’ ovenz’z, meanwhile’iz we go spock da’ odda’ kine grindz we wen’ pound.

You know us local boys not too hot on fancy ‘kine “foo-foo” stuffs, laddat. What dees kine’, Pesto Shrimps? What dat, pesto? Sometin’ about dey wen’ mango’ da’ herbage and mix ’em wit’ da cheese and oil action, den’ mix ’em wit da’ noodooz an’ da’ fry shrimp. Brah, ‘das complications ‘kine stuffs, I no can comps’.

But you know what, boo? Buggah was ONO! And wen’ stay get CHOKE Shrimp! Bambuchas buggahz too, not da’ kine manini out.

Garlic Shrimp & Mushrooms Plate. $8 bucks, laddat.

Braddah Kamekona wit’ braddah Pomai

Jus’ like my braddah Kemokona’s wagon, we stay get one nodda’ nott’ sho’ah kine shrimp plate, dis’ time only stay get gah’lick buttah, choke da’ gah’lick. an’ some shroomage. Not da’ kine from Kualoa Ranch at 5 in da’ mo’ning. Eh, no lie, das’ what you was tinkin’, eh? I know you, you kolohe buggah, you!

Even da’ pesto stuffs, I was smaw ‘kine wunj’ring what was da’ green herbage stay on top ‘dat plate. If we wen’ stay Kahalu’u o’ Maui, k’den, yea.

Dis’ kine grindz make me ‘tink of Aunty Marialani’s cooking show! Eh, no ack, Aunty Marialani was akamai! She wen’ teach me ‘dat Oregano is from Oregon! I betchu-nevah-knew ‘dat!

Yummy’s Meat Jun mini plate with Choi Sum and Kim Chee Cucumber Banchan. $10 bucks, laddat.

‘Den we stay get some Yobo kine Yummy’s grindz, wheah dey make ’em jus’ like how tutu make err’ ding fo me… FRIED! Wit’ eggs! Dey’ soak da’ tin beef in some shoyu ‘kine marinations, den’ soak ’em again in eggs and flowah, and den’ pan fry da’ buggah.

Yobo say yo, da’ suckin’ ting is broke da’ mout’ winnahz! Only ‘ting, wassup wit’ da’ one scoops rice-iz-iz? Come on brah, ‘dis Hawaii, cuz. TWO SCOOPS RICE-IZ! TWO SCOOPS. Get it straight, or bum’bye we going roundz!

Buk Buk Kitchen regular BBQ Pork Plate. $9 bucks, laddat.

Almos’ pau fo’ today so I can go hit da’ surf, we stay get one regulah plate Teri Pork from Buk Buk’s. Braddah-cuzin’-sistah-braddah, Buk Buk’s Hibachi teri meat action is MEAN, cuz, MEAN! So ono, we wen’ hanahou ‘dem tree times ar’ready!

The beautiful ladies of Buk Buk Kitchen

Brah, but don’t even get me stahted on dat’ name, cuz. I get so much Filipino friends, but I nevah wen’ call dem, “Buk Buk”. What you tink, I like leekinz, oh what?  But whatevahz. Da’ cool aunties stay running Buk Buk Kitchen is Filipino, so I going call ‘dem ‘dat from now on. Jus’ da’ kine, trow in some “salamat” he’ah, “masarap” day’ah, “mabuhay” ovah day’ah, and day cool wit’ dat!

Anywayz, I spock you guyz laytahz. Have one happy Eastah! HAWAIIAN!!!

18 thoughts on “Happy Easter Sunday, Laddat

• April 5, 2015 at 11:16 am

Ken,

Ditto. :-)

I hope this Easter Sunday you’re making a prime rib, leg of lamb or at least a thick ‘n juicy prime-grade ribeye, so you can make use of that fancy meat thermometer you’ve got!

• April 5, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Marinated grilled American  shoulder lamb chops is on the menu with Chinese char siu fried rice with egg, peas and carrots and Korean takuan.

• April 5, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Happy Easter Pomai.

Pretty standard fare tonight.  Nothing fancy.  Ham and scalloped potatoes.  Both make killer (ono) leftovers.

• April 5, 2015 at 9:56 pm

@ ArnyB – You too, man. Oi, talk about leftovers. Gosh, we had SO MUCH FOOD for a late Sunday Easter lunch today with the family, I think we outdid Thanksgiving.

Here’s our Easter Sunday spread this afternoon:

• Leg of Lamb roast with Rosemary & Mint Jelly (turned out effing AWESOME!)
    • Spiral Ham Roast with Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Guava Jelly Glaze
    • Hung Won Restaurant (Kaimuki) Hong Kong-style Roast Duck
    • Hung Won Crispy Roast Pork
    • Hung Won Chow Mein Noodles
    • Korean Sushi (3 different styles)
    • Malia’s Potato Salad
    • Mash Potatoes
    • Chinese Chicken Salad (the “kit” rom Costco)
    • Malia’s Spicy Chicken Cream Cheese Dip with Chips
    • Homemade pipin’ hot Apple Strudel (effin’ AWESOME!)

Dude, all that only to feed 9 adults. Crazy. Fortunately, we split the leftovers to take home where it all worked out.

@ Ken – Ha ha! Your Easter Sunday spread sounds ironically similar to ours! How did your Grilled American Lamb Chops turn out? I’m curious what you use for your lamb chops marinade.

I still say NOTHING matches the unique taste of Lamb better than ROSEMARY & MINT JELLY. Period. At our party today, when I insisted everyone put the Mint Jelly on their leg of Lamb slice, after the first bite, they were like, “OMG!”. ‘Nuff’ said.

• April 6, 2015 at 12:26 am

I made a crab boil at home just to be different.  Made also piroshki with ground beef.

Dobash cake turn out pretty good.

• April 6, 2015 at 3:53 pm

For the marinade I added freshly squeezed lemon juice, Dijon mustard, chopped rosemary, minced garlic and kosher salt together in a bowl; gradually whisked in extra-virgin olive oil and seasoned with fresh ground black pepper to taste. Transferred the marinade to a Ziploc plastic bag; put the lamb chops in the bag, sealed, and shook vigorously to evenly coat the meat; Marinated at room temperature for 1 hour; Removed the chops from the marinade and transferred them to a plate. Discarded the marinade. Cleaned remaining marinade off the chops and patted them dry. Salted and peppered the lamb chops, coated with light film of extra-virgin olive oil and grilled them in my Lodge cast-iron ridged grill pan with beautiful crosshatched grill marks to medium rare finish temp 135F degrees after resting 5 min. Very tasty and juicy!

I’ve got a boneless leg of lamb in the freezer but it is too much for a one person Easter meal so I’m looking at other recipes to cook it plus I have a pound of ground lamb which I like to make spicy lamb patties and broil patties then finish with a broiled caramelized whole slice of white onion topped with melted cheese.

• April 6, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Ken,

Next time we have a family gathering, I’m going to invite you, with only one caveat: you gotta’ cook the meat! Just the meat, not the sides. Your Lamb Chops sounds fantastic!

Regardless of what your marinade was, I still say you need to head out to the store and get yourself a jar of Mint Jelly to add as a condiment with your Lamb. It will change your whole outlook on its unique flavor.

I need to get  me that Lodge ridged cast iron grill pan. Does it work on your induction cooktop? I have a non-stick aluminum pan, which is OK, but I think the Lodge Cast Iron will do a much better job, especially for steaks. I sure wish my place had gas appliances. Sigh.

I never thought of caramelizing a whole onion. I’m guessing you do that by coating it with olive oil and roasting it on medium-low heat?

• April 6, 2015 at 5:22 pm

I’ve had mint jelly before with lamb and it works great as a side condiment to the lamb! I took the lamb chops off the grill at 130 F degrees and they rose to 135 F degrees after resting 5 min which was perfect and they were very juicy, tender with a lot of flavor!

Lodge ridged cast iron grill pan works perfect with induction cooktops and you get even heat across the pan side to side! As a matter of fact all cast-iron will work with induction and is a great replacement for indoor grilling when you can’t grill outside (a little liquid smoke also fakes the indoor grilling). With cast-iron ridged grill pans you can grill at a higher heat level with less smoke in the house. You can pre-heat your cast-iron pan in the oven to 500 F degree. Induction stovetops allow you to get to the instantaneous very high heat or dropping the heat fast just like cooking with gas and it is cheaper on the electric monthly bill because induction is 90% more efficient for cooking as safer as induction will only work with pan in place or it shuts off.

With my lamb patties I broil them about 6 inches from heat and when ½ way cooked I place a whole slice of white onion on top of the patties to caramelize under the heat and then when almost finished I place a couple slices of American cheddar cheese on top to melt and brown up into a cohesive gooey mess of tasty goodness. Heaven; eaten as is or in a sandwich!

I might cut the boneless leg of lamb in half cubing half the meat for traditional Irish stew and grinding the other half for Irish Shepard’s Pie seeing how I am only cooking for one.

• April 7, 2015 at 7:38 am

Ken,

135°F sounds a bit on the medium side in doneness. Was it still pink in the center? I like my lamb like (beef) steak: rare/medium-rare, with a well-seasoned, blackened sear on the outside. Same for fatty fish, such as Monchong and Mahimahi.

Thanks for the tip on using Liquid Smoke when pan-searing meat to replicate an authentic char-grilled flavor. I always thought of trying that, but never actually did it.

I only recently learned that most electric and propane household stovetop appliances max out at 8,000 BTUs. Which is why I want to get that same Iwatani portable stove you’ve got, which pumps out almost twice that at 15,000 BTUs. I seen the compatible butane cartridges you were talking about at Longs, just $2.50 each (vs. $6 for the Iwatani brand).

How would you compare your induction cooktop to your Iwatani 15k Butane portable stove, pros vs. cons of each?

I have a ziploc bag full of slices of Easter Sunday leg of lamb that I’m not sure what to do with. Like I said, I don’t like lamb cooked anything beyond medium-rare, and I know reheating will do that. I was thinking of making lamb curry out of it, which is pretty good. Only thing, I’m not really in the mood for that right now (kinda’ “lamb’d” out).

• April 7, 2015 at 10:29 am

135°F is on the high side of Medium Rare (130°F to 135°F) Bright red, warm on the USDA chart. Medium is 135°F to 145°F Pink, juicy on the USDA chart. The lamb chop center was bright red, warm and very juicy.

My Fagor induction stovetop heats up just as fast as my Iwatani butane portable stove and because it has 10 temperature setting (140°F to 430°F 1,600W 8” burner) I have more temp control than with my Aroma induction stove (6 temperature settings). The Induction stove does beat the butane stove in heating water to boiling point. However the Iwatani does have infinite variable temperature control but waste excess heat thus heating up the kitchen. The live flame always presents a hazard along with the CO2 as the induction stove waste no heat and is over 70% more efficient; creates no hazardous CO2 plus the induction stove automatically shuts off if no pot or pan is in place or has been removed for 30 seconds from burner. The Fagor induction stove has a built-in timer which shuts it off and the Iwatani has no timer. Both the Fagor induction and Iwatani gas provide instant heat and cooling.

I can’t wait till I get my new GE full size induction stove and convection oven with the 37,000W 11” burner with rapid boil mode as it will have 20 temperature settings range.

Your link friend Jaden Hair over at Steamy Kitchen Food Blog just renovated her kitchen and had a KitchenAide induction stovetop installed and is love with its speed in cooking and efficiency. She indicates it provides great heat for her wok stir-fries and is fast, fast, fast! She is very happy she picked induction over gas.

• April 7, 2015 at 11:47 am

Ken,

Ah, great info’ on the induction cooktop vs butane stove. . I knew about the safety advantage, being the heat is transferred magnetically into the pan or pot itself, which is why you can’t use aluminum cookware on an induction stove. But yeah, that safety advantage is certainly something I’m interested in as well.

If it wasn’t for the need to use an electric outlet (wired in), I’m sure restaurants that do tableside preparations such as Steak Dianne and Bananas Foster (Michel’s and Hy’s for example) would use Induction cooktops.

Is your new induction stove energy star rated? 37,000 watts is a LOT of energy!

Here’s that Leg of Lamb we had for Easter this past Sunday…

It was more rare-medium-rare when I first cut into it, after letting it rest out of the oven over an hour. However, I shouldn’t have put the pan with the sliced pieces back in the still-warm oven, as that turned them more medium-medium rare, not rare-medium-rare when I first cut into it. It was still absolutely DELICIOUS, supermoist and super tender.

2015 Easter Sunday spread (just some of it): Potato Salad, Korean Sushi, Roasted Ham with Nutmeg & Cinnamon Guava Glaze, and Roast boneless Leg of Lamb with Mint Jelly

• April 7, 2015 at 6:32 pm

The only thing that takes a little understanding to get use to with induction is you are no longer cooking with Low, Medium and High but by numbers.

The GE induction slide in stove offers 19 power levels. Power levels range from “L” (Low) to “H” (High) in precise half-step increments. For example: L, 1, 1 ½, 2, 2 ½, and up to H. Power Level “L”, the lowest setting, is recommended for keeping food warm. But so far everything I’ve read from GE has not indicated the actual degree F at each temperature setting.

The Fagor Induction cooktop did break down the actual degree F each of their 10 temperature setting is with verbiage terms: (1)=140°F melt, (2)=160°F warm (medium low), (3)=180°F simmer, (4)=210°F boil, (5)=250°F rapid boil (medium), (6)=290°F sauté, (7)=320°F sauté, (8)=360°F brown/fry (medium high), (9)=390°F sear, (10)=430°F-465°F stir-fry (depending on model).

If you look at water temps (at sea level): Poach=160°F-180°F, Low simmer=180°F, Simmer=185°F, Slow Boil=205°F and rolling Boil=212°F.

Once you know what induction temperature you are cooking at then you can adapt to freshness of produce, thickness (weight), and time cooking for consistent results. When I am using my pressure cooker with Fagor induction cooktop I use (6) to brown my meats with very little smoke in kitchen and then use (8) to bring to a rapid boil before lowering to (4) to maintain heat and pressure. Set the built in timer and walk away as it will turn off induction stove and pressure cooker when done.

Once the kitchen remodel is finished new adventure is cooking sous vide with the precision water bath and commercial kitchen style vacuum packager that allows you to vacuum pack liquids, marinades, soups etc. This way I can sous vide a steak or leg of lamb to a perfect medium-rare 132°F edge to edge bright red (you can not overcook in sous vide only to your set finish temperature and hold) and then only have to quickly sear the outside to finish with no gray cooking ring. I can cook sous vide steak to a perfect medium-rare 132°F edge to edge and then freeze it for up to a year, defrost, warm and sear outside and done on the plate for dinner.

• April 7, 2015 at 11:10 pm

Ken,

I know they aren’t the place to be shopping for quality induction cooktops (they do carry a kick @ss selection of rice cookers), however Don Quijote has a Hamilton Beach, Aroma and Narita brand induction “portable” single burner cooktops. The most expensive was the Narita brand (never heard of them), touting 1,500 watts of power and 7 cooking levels @ $119 sale price. I’m interested in the Fagor unit you bought. What’s the model number?

Essentially from all you said, induction cooktops are much better at managing precise, consistent temperatures, especially at low levels, due to the heat being generated from the cooking vessel, not the “burner” itself, which I think is a great selling point. Nothing’s worse than overcooking or burning food left on simmer because the BURNER temperature is inconsistent or inaccurate, made worse by being having to transfer that (wasted) energy physically, versus magnetically.

Once again, you sold me on it!

• April 8, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Fagor has three new induction stovetop models and are no longer selling my 10 temperature settings model 1300W however their new one is more powerful 1800W than mine with a higher stir-fry temperature.

The Fagor 2X INDUCTION SET: Induction cooktop and 9.5” aluminum non-stick skillet induction ready 1800 watts of power – 120V, 60Hz. Compact Size: 11.42” x 13.98” x 2.36” Lightweight: 5 pounds 8 Power Levels with temperature range from 140°F – 465°F ( 60°C- 240°C) (1) WARM 140°F, (2) SIMMER (Medium Low) 180°F, (3) BOIL 212°F, (4) RAPID BOIL (Medium) 260°F, (5) SAUTÉ 300°F, (6) BROWN (Medium High) 360°F, (7) SEAR 420°F, (8) STIR FRY 465°F Control panel includes easy-to-read digital display as well as all touch controls. Built-in timer programmable for up to 180 minutes. Durable, easy-to-clean glass surface. Extremely safe, will not generate heat. Automatic shut off feature will turn unit off if no cookware is detected. Includes child safety lock. Includes a user manual. ETL Approved. PRICE $99.99.

Fagor PORTABLE INDUCTION UCOOK: Temperature Range from 140°F – 465°F. Uses up to 1300 watts of power. 8 Power Levels. A “Temp./Level” button changes the display from Fahrenheit to Power Level. Durable, easy to clean glass surface. Timer programmable from 0 – 180 minutes. Safe to use, unit will not generate heat and will shut off automatically if no cookware is detected. Child Safety Lock system. Includes User Manual. ETL approved in USA and Canada. PRICE $79.99.

Fagor PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE INDUCTION 1800W: Temperature setting range from 140°F – 465°F Uses up to 1800 watts of power. 8 Quick Launch buttons: Warm, Simmer, Boil, Rapid Boil, Sauté, Brown, Sear, Stir-Fry, Durable, easy to clean with a high quality, heat resistant glass surface. Built-in timer of up to 180 minutes that can be adjusted by minutes. Digital display shows actual cooking temperature which can be increased and decreased by 10 degree increments (180°F – 465°F). Safe to use, unit will not generate heat and will shut off automatically if no cookware is detected. Child Safety Lock system. Requires standard household 110V connection. Includes a user manual. ETL Approved. PRICE $149.00

I purchased my Fagor 2X INDUCTION SET at Bed, Bath & Beyond, in Aiea regular price $99.99 on sale for $79.99. There is also a Bed, Bath & Beyond in Ward Centers. Bed, Bath & Beyond is hazardous to my wallet! LOL

If you want the Fagor PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE INDUCTION 1800W cooktop which allows you to step +/- every 10 degrees across (180°F – 465°F) range this would be equivalent to cooking on a gas range but you would know the temperature you’ll have to order it via the Fagor website which they do a great job as I have ordered accessories from them before: http://www.fagoramerica.com/home

• April 7, 2015 at 5:02 pm

All other kitchen appliances General Electric makes is energy star rated but ranges, stoves and ovens which you have to use power to cook with are not energy star rated.

The GE Profile™ Series 30″ Slide-In Induction and Convection Range with Warming Drawer Model PHS920SFSS however is rated 4.6 out of 5-stars and is ADA Compliant, Made In America (70%-90% US materials) and conforms to the Star-K Jewish Sabbath requirements.

The 37,000W is the 11” burner with rapid boil boost mode mainly used for wok stir-frying, searing and cooking large pans; two burners are 8″ 2,500W for simmering and cooking; one burner is 6″ 1,800W for melting and cooking and one burner is 6″ holding things Warming Zone. The stove/convection oven with warming draw at 240V uses the standard 40 amp fuse and at 240 volts uses 12.2KW total with everything turned on. Of course you are not going to cook with all burners, oven and warming draw going full blast! Ghost or phantom voltage is 3.5W.

Oh Pomai putting food back in warm oven to hold is a no, no as you are only cooking it more and don’t forget the danger zone for rapid bacteria growth is 40°F to 140°F according to USDA. Never hold food between that temperature range more than 3 hours.

• April 8, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Ken,

Again, mahalo for all the great info’ on the new Fagor models. Other brands that get lots of favorable reviews on Amazon are Duxtop, Ivation and Max Burton.

I’m surprised there isn’t more made in Japan induction cooktops on the market, such as Zojirushi, Tiger and Panasonic. I really have the most consumer confidence in those brands.

Interestingly, the Fagor induction cookers don’t get as much ratings as the other brands on Amazon, and they’re around the same price range.

Next time I’m at Ala Moana, I’ll swing by Macy’s and see what they carry.

• April 8, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Just did a check of Fagor for local stores and Sears popped up so I checked Sears, Aiea and they have the Fagor Professional 1800W model with step +/- every 10 degrees across (180°F – 465°F) range this would be equivalent to cooking on a gas stove. I am going to swing buy tomorrow and pick one up on way into Mai Tai Bar. This is way better than the one I already have and on sale from $149.99 down to $149.95 which is actual company list price but buying local NO SHIPPING charge!!!

Fagor is Fagor Electrodomesticos, based in Spain is the fifth largest appliance manufacturer in Europe, the leading appliance manufacturer in both Spain and France, and the #1 induction cooktop producer in the European Market and is known for their pressure cookers in U.S. A. and kitchen appliances built to European specification. Most Americans have never heard about Fagor or European long-time old standard of induction cooking so it is no surprise to find almost no reviews or so, so reviews on Amazon.