Harry Lyons’ Kona Coast Magazine

After Harry Lyons’ long and successful career as a political cartoonist for the Honolulu Advertiser, he moved to Kona with his wife and started his own publication called Harry Lyons’ Kona Coast. A monthly “rag” on the goings-on around Kona and current state of affairs in general on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Now imagine being the editor-in-chief with both journalistic, as well as well as cartoonist skills, and that was pretty much the content of the Kona Coast. Harry’s editorial, aptly named “Lyons’ on the Loose”, would dish out “anykine’ wala’au gossip” that was happening around the Big Island. Right down to who the local police chief at the time was having an affair with. Harry wen’ jus’ geeve ’em. And with that, in his unique artistic style, he’d draw-up cartoons to help illustrate what his point was.

On top of that, many of the paid commercial advertisements in the Kona Coast were illustrated by Harry, again with his signature cartoonist style.

Following are the ads illustrated by Harry that ran in the July 1989 Sixth Anniversary Issue of Harry Lyons’ Kona Coast. Enjoy!

Lyons’ on the Loose…

These are T-shirt designs Harry personally designed for “Kona Wally”, the fine gentleman, reader and friend who shared this magazine and artwork with me…

9 thoughts on “Harry Lyons’ Kona Coast Magazine

• February 23, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Hey Pomai,

Oh you hit my NASTALGIA bone!   I lived in Kona when Harry Lyons wrote his column and we all loved it.   We looked forward to those  great cartoons all the time.   He was a great and funny writer and illustrator!

Thanks for sharing,

Donna

• February 23, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Lyons was cool. My father was a weigh master in Kona at tournaments so knew him. Lyons did not play party politics.

I remember the time his boy robbed the bank of Hawaii in Lihue. Then tried to take a cab to the airport.

That was different.

• February 23, 2015 at 9:15 pm

@ Pat – You must have had your share of smoked marlin! Crazy story about Harry’s son.

@ Donna – ‘Kona Coast’ was certainly a unique publication. Imagine if Harry Lyons and Corky Trinidad (Star Bulletin’s political cartoonist) had access to publish on the internet and social media back then? Their content would have been crazy viral!

• February 24, 2015 at 1:36 am

Damn..  I grew up in Kona and left in 1986 for the navy.  There are a few places there that are still around.  I think sam’s is Robert kehkaula dad’s place. Me and Robert went to school together.  Quinn’s is where I got into my first bar fight..  It cost me $14 for broken glassware.  Lol. Good times.

• June 4, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Retired FBI Agent.  I have a Lyon’s cartoon, entitled,”Hukilau”, depicting thugs being hauled up caught in a fishing net.  An HPD/FBI “Sting” operation.  Many of the Agents & HPD Officers have joined Harry in I I believe, Heaven.  Aloha, Harry!

• June 5, 2015 at 5:49 am

Aloha Michael,

According to my friend who knew him personally, Harry’s cartoons and commentary in his Kona Coast Magazine typically “stirred the pot”. No holds barred.

• June 26, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Harry did an article in Kona Coast Magazine the Anniversary issue on my twin sister and I which was titled “United’s Twin Jets”. We were flight attendants for United Airlines and we were often seen in Kona as this was our regular flight schedule for several years. We loved our Kona lay overs and meeting Harry was something special. Would love to find a way to get several copies of the Anniversary issue magazine if anyone knows if this is a possibility.

• June 27, 2015 at 4:34 am

Aloha Marsha,

Great to hear about your write-up in Kona Coast as flight attendants with United Airlines. We have a close family friend who served as an aircraft mechanic for United Airlines, based at HNL his entire career. We traveled a LOT together with him. SUPER guy. In fact, I trusted (and still do) flying even more because of his professionalism as a commercial airline mechanic for United!

I’ll ask “Kona Wally” — my source for this copy — if he has a copy of that other anniversary issue of Harry Lyons’ Kona Coast, featuring “United’s Twin Jets”. ;-)

• April 26, 2016 at 9:12 am

Hi, I found a drawing that looks a lot like Harry Lyons work. It’s a bummy looking guy

fishing in the rain in a sinking boat surrounded by beer cans.

It’s signed Lyons but the signature is different.

Did he use a different signature at times? I’d attach an image but there is no

Way to do that here.