Keiki Kaukau Memories

Hawaii truly is a special place not only to visit and live, but also to grow up in from childhood, as I have. With that, while I was in the supermarket grocery shopping the other day, as I passed by the juice aisle, I noticed Malolo syrup (I’m admittedly not an observant shopper), and I was like “Dang, Malolo Syrup! I haven’t had that in DECADES!” Which brought back so many fond memories growing up.

Before continuing, as an FYI, “kaukau” is a Hawaii pidgin slang derived from
Cantonese that means “food”, “eat” or “let’s eat”, and “keiki” is a Hawaiian term for “child” or plural as “children”.

Li Hing Ice Cake (still gotta’ huli da’ buggah)

ICE CAKE

So there it was, gallon-size jugs of Malolo Syrup in every flavor on the store shelf, which was a regular part of my childhood, or as we like to refer to in Hawaii as “Hanabaddah Dayz”. I’ll explain what that means in comments if you ask. For those of you not familiar with Malolo Syrup, it’s essentially concentrated artificially-flavored sugar water that we make “juice” out of, with the most popular being Fruit Punch and Orange mixed together. Flavors available include Fruit Punch, Strawberry, Orange, Lemon-Lime and Grape. You can also use the concentrated syrup straight-up for Shave Ice.

Not only did we drink Malolo Syrup mixed with water as “juice”, but more popular, we always made “Ice Cake” out of it. “Ice Cake” is simply a higher concentration (sweeter) of Malolo Syrup to water, poured into paper cups and frozen ice-hard. To eat it, you pop-out the completely frozen cup-shaped “pop” and place it back in the paper cup upside-down (inverted) where it sticks out the top so you can lick away at it. Remember doing that? I sure do!

EXCHANGE

Speaking of concentrated sugar water, another drink popular with the keiki when I was a young boy way WAY back in the 70’s was Exchange. More so than the tiny steel can it was packaged in, those of you who remember Exchange probably most fondly remember their catchy jingle performed by Herb Ohta’s Termites band sung to the tune of “Round and Round” by Perry Como that goes like this:

The exchange goes round round round
and down down down
in your glass glass glass
makes your mind
think yum yum yum
It’s that Orangeade called Exchange

SNACKS

I grew up near Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center, where all the neighborhood kids would buy their snack chips, candies and Yick Lung “Crack Seed” (Chinese preserved seeds) from either Longs Drugs, or this tiny toy store called Play World. There after school I’d get my daily fix of Yick Lung Nibb-its Bar-B-Que Potato Curls, along with an Icee to wash it down. My favorite combo’ at the time!

Another favorite made in Hawaii snack chip of mine when I was small one keed (kid) were Hilo’s own Maebo One-Ton Chips, which back then were much more commonly sold on Oahu, whereas now you have to look a little harder to find them.

Also more commonly sold on Oahu back then were Maui’s own Kitch ‘n Cook’d Potato Chips, those kettle style chips that came in the clear bag with red and yellow labeling. Now you can only get those chips on Maui. To be honest, back then I didn’t care for them, thinking they were too greasy, however now I LOVE them!

CANDY

Ah yes, candy, every child’s favorite food group! Some of my faves when I was a keiki included the Astro Pop (remember that?!), Pop Rocks, and when I played baseball in Little League, grape flavored Bubble Yum bubble gum. Oddly, I also liked Violets, only because my grandmother always had them in her purse.

“Manapua Man” in Ewa Beach on North Road

DA’ MANAPUA MAN

Haw Flakes

Yup, everyone who grew in Hawaii most definitely remembers the neighborhood Manapua Man. While way back in the “olden days”, the Manapua Man would walk around with steam kettles hung on two sides of a bamboo pole straddled across his shoulder, in my younger years, Manapua Man usually drove around the neighborhood in an older faded white Chevy, Dodge or Ford cargo van with an open window on the side or back. From there he’d sell his onolicious Chinese Dim Sum, including steamed Manapua, Pork Hash, Chow Funn, Crispy Gau Gee, Honey Wonton Twists and Rice Cake. Along with that, he’d have a whole assortment of candies, chips, ice cream and cheap @ss Chinese plastic toys. My favorite being the Green Army Man with Parachute. We also loaded up on a Chinese candy called Haw Flakes from Manapua Man because they were so cheap.

Our neighborhood also had an Ice Cream Man, who was also Chinese, driving the same type of white van, except all he sold was ice cream and ice pops. You knew Ice Cream Man arrived thanks to his tinker bell music blasting to the point of distortion out the bull horn loudspeaker on his roof. Classic!

Ono ‘kine Hawaiian style Beef Stew

HOME COOKIN’

Warm Milk & Poi

At least once a month on Sundays we’d have dad’s favorite Beef Pot Roast with all the fixinz (mash potatoes, rice, corn on the cob and salad) and the whole family sat and ate together at the dinner table. My grandmother’s signature dish was her Fried Chicken with the most onolicious White “Country” Gravy, which I’ll share the recipe with you later. She also made a kick @ss beef stew and fantastic garlic pork chops. She was an overall great cook of all-American diner style comfort food, and did most of the cooking in our home when I grew up. Contrary to that, I must also note, thanks to my mom’s insistence on it, we ALWAYS had a bowl of poi in the kitchen. Not a day without poi, my boy!

Speaking of poi, an interesting dish my grandmother used to prepare for me when I was a REALLY little boy was Warm Milk and Poi, which was good for tummy aches and just overall satisfyingly ono on a rainy day!

My grandmother also used to make her own lemon peel, leaving lemons out in 1 gallon glass jars on the roof to ferment. Was mo’ bettah ‘den da’ crack seed store!

An inlaw of mine used to work on the classic Kula Kai “Hawaiian Sampan” Aku fishing boat back in the late 70’s. And almost every time he came back from a fishing trip, he’d bring us one or two fresh-caught whole Aku  (Skipjack Tuna) that we made sashimi and dry aku out of. Ever since then, I got hooked on raw fish, preferring it like that over cooked fish.

DINING OUT

Regular readers here know that other than at home, I was practically raised on Mui Kwai Chop Suey, and then Kin Wah Chop Suey Restaurant in Kaneohe. So much so, the regular waitresses memorized what we were going to order, which never failed, was always: Abalone Soup, Sweet ‘n Sour Shrimp, Beef Broccoli, Sweet ‘n Sour Spare Ribs, Cold Ginger Chicken, Egg Foo Yong, Duck Egg and Crispy Gau Gee. Always the same thing, every time. That’s why I HATED Chinese food for years as an adult, being totally BURNT OUT. Thankfully I’ve made a comeback and now LOVE Chinese food. Yay!

Other than McDonald’s in Windward City Shopping Center, my dad’s favorite burger joint was Lee’s Drive In near the Kaneohe Post Office, who has only recently closed, now taken over by a Sushi joint. Thankfully, in honor of Lee’s long run in business there, the Sushi shop still makes Lee’s hamburgers in honor of them. Yay!

Other restaurants and takeout joints in Kaneohe my family frequented when I was a kid were Spencliff’s Tiki Tops in Windward City Shopping Center, Zippy’s (the restaurant in back with the juke box!), Tasty Treat (in front of Mui Kwai) and for birthdays, either Shakey’s Pizza in Kaneohe (corner Kam Hwy. & Lilipuna Rd.) and Farrell’s, when they were located in front of Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center. The latter of which is were all us neighborhood kids played video games (I was a “mastah” at Space Invaders and Galaxian!). For fancy dinners in town, we made many return visits to Jon Dominis and La Ronde revolving restaurant atop the Ala Moana Building. Remember that?! On the windward side, our favorite finer dining spots were Haiku Gardens Restaurant (now called Haleiwa Joe’s) and Kimo’s, which was on the 3rd floor of what was then HonFed building on the corner of Kam Hwy. and Kahuhipa Street.

Our next-door neighbor was a nuclear sub commander, and he used to often take us to his favorite place simply called Mongolian Barbecue at Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station.

Shoyu Mango

My sister attended Kamehameha School from Kindergarten through 12th (grad). And every year after the song contest during her high school years, we’d take her to celebrate with the Prime Rib buffet dinner right across the street from the NBC Arena at Flamingo Chuckwagon, at the corner of Ward Ave.and Kapiolani Boulevard.

~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~

I’ve got a bunch more Keiki Kaukau Memories to share of grinds and places that I’ll add in comments.

Let’s hear from you! What are your most fond (and perhaps not so fond) Keiki Kaukau Memories when and where you grew up in Hawaii? And If you didn’t grow in Hawaii, share them anyway!

25 thoughts on “Keiki Kaukau Memories

• September 12, 2014 at 3:37 pm

My mom use to receive during holidays cans of shortbread cookies called Bader American Shortbread. It coffee size can that blue. As for wonton chip well Trader Joes did try to make their own few years ago and pretty bad. They not fried dark brown for that taste and fail to last long in stores.

My sisters use get mochi crunch at crackseed stores and ask for li hung mui sauce pour into bag of mochil crunch.

• June 22, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Hi!   Can you tell me about what year(s) your mom used to get the Bader cookies?

• September 12, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Awesome post! Brings back a lot of great memories.

• September 12, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I have many fond memories of Nibbits. I use to dunk them in my Strawberry Icee. I also LOVED Taco Tubes, similar to Nibbits but in a roundish tube shape w/salty taco seasonings. My favorite dish at Kin Wah is the Minute Chicken with cake noodle.

• September 12, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Those were definitely good ole days. Tiki Tops, Wisteria, McD, Windys drive in…oh and the ice cream guy that came to our neighborhood (makes me think of Eddie Murphy’s ice cream man routine haha). The manapua truck used to park in front of Castle, on KBay Drive at lunch time.

• September 12, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Growing up our mid range special dinner meant Victoria’s Station (Kapiolani Blvd) in the train car, loved going to the up top booth or Pagoda for their buffet! That was terrific! Lots of sushi, sashimi and roast beef. Definitely Shakey’s where we would watch through the pizza window or listen to their banjo band, family style communal tables and benches. Getting S&S Saimin at the Aloha Stadium on a windy night watching HS football. Woolworths in Ala Moana, Kahala Mall and Waikiki for their old school coffee shop. Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers and Cream Crackers sold at ALL Longs Drugs. Ate those with 7-up whenever I stayed home sick from school. Wow, Astro Pops and Pop Rocks – that is a lifetime ago. The gum shaped and rolled in paper like cigarettes. When you puffed out through them the powder would spew out like fake smoke. How cool then but so Un-P.C. nowadays. Pixie Sticks – colored sugar that we’d pour into our mouths, straight up sugar! You could not pay me enough to eat/enjoy that now. =:0
    Goody-Goody ice cream from the So.King Street corner shop across from Star Supermarket. Mr. Magoo’s Pizza at the Waikiki location or Pucks Alley. Crack Seed store at Ala Moana and then Patty’s Chinese Kitchen. Yami Yogurt also Ala Moana. Green Rivers at Rainbow Drive In or Farrell’s.

• September 13, 2014 at 3:31 am

Aunties and uncles like on Liliha St. mom and pop okazuya stands. The gobo was .25 a small tray and for kids that a great snack. Brother Bakery which is no more around use to sell bread pudding at .25 a slice and after school was best around.

• September 13, 2014 at 3:44 am

Pomai: I am older than most of you, but here is what came off the top of my mind……Japanese Ame rice paper candy; red/dried cuttlefish legs; the whole, brown, dried cuttlefish; the sweet cuttlefish paper-like snack (brownish); rock sugar candy; corn nuts; a cone or paper cup of delicatessen chow fun; red coconut balls; and of course, the many varieties of “crack seed” types from the crack seed store.

• September 13, 2014 at 10:00 am

PLAY WORLD! I’ve been trying to remember the name of the place for years.

• September 13, 2014 at 10:53 am

The manapua man is still greatly missed. The Ah Bak (elder uncle) was see by me when around HCC campus in the morning. He and sliver cans with pole to hole and he stop to ring a bell to tell he around with dim sums to sell. I always buy some for morning snack and look forward to see him every day that time.

• September 13, 2014 at 11:26 am

When my grandmother was alive she told us of how many women stay at home and one car household. venders trucks use drive into neighborhoods and like mini grocery store on wheels.
    Sold lot of fruits and vegetables, candies and dry and canned stuffs. Also a neighbor fisherman sold fishes he caught and lot people came to buy from him. Milkman came every week with two or more bottles of milks and sometime free sample of chocolate pudding or cottage cheese. It was Formost milk truck

• September 13, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Kauai had a box style bento meal, quite structured. Po’s , which has been reviewed here, is about the last one left, although Sone’s still has one. They were coo on and shared the same essential formula.
    Also a lot of home made mango seed and pickled mango.
    Crack seed and Tomoe America at the theatre.
    And no fishing trip or going swimming at a pond would be complete without an 89 cent can of abalone to heat over the fire. Real abalone.

• September 13, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I grew up in Hong Kong in the sixties. Seeing what you enjoyed as a child helps me understand why Oahu feels so much like ” home ” to me. The manapua man’s wares, candy and crack seed ( though that isn’t what we called it) are the kinds of things I loved as a child. There were food vendors with baskets on poles and bicycle riding ice cream vendors who would call out their wares in Cantonese. I can still recite their spiels.
      Hong Kong was a cosmopolitan city on the water but I lived in a fishing village an hour away by boat. The same mixture of city and country is what I love about visiting Oahu. We’ll be coming back again in May! Can’t wait.

• September 13, 2014 at 8:13 pm

As a child growing up on mainland Rhode Island I miss the chow mein or chop suey sandwiches (depending which state you were in) in hamburger buns with rich beef gravy wrapped in wax paper to control the dripping with sweet coffee milk to wash it down.

• September 15, 2014 at 8:12 am

Big Way Burger in Wahiawa had a teriyaki plate lunch: meat, rice, mac salad and kim chi. They also made kim chi hamburgers way before all the new fancy hamburgers were created. I miss everything made by Yick Lung. Didn’t they make a Chili Peppa potato chips? Or am I having a food fantasy flashback?

• September 16, 2014 at 6:05 am

@ momona – I don’t recall Yick Lung brand Chili Peppa Potato Chips, and doubt they made that, as Potato Chip manufacturing is quite an extensive undertaking. I’m surprised they’re still in business, really. I miss when Yick Lung used to make their own “crack seed” line right here in Honolulu on Dillingham Blvd at their factory. That was the da’ bes’ crack seed! Back in the 70’s and early 80’s all grocery and drug stores had packages of Yick LUng “Crack Seed” (all ‘kine flavahz) on the endcaps at the checkouts. Couldn’t miss those distinctive yellow Yick Lung bag labels!

@ Ken – A Chop Suey Sandwich in a hamburger bun with “gravy all ovah” sounds AWESOME! Don’t recall seeing anyone here offering that.

@ Bobbi – That was a GREAT comment! I’ve been to Hong Kong several times when I was younger, and do remember the British influence there, including the cuisine.. and especially the the Chinese-British accent! Which is why I can see how Hawaii has similarities to Hong Kong with its east-meets-west food and overall cultural influences.

@ Pat – I take it 89 cents was a lot of money for canned food back in those days. Canned (real) Abalone today runs over $30 a can!

@ Amy – My generation (X) grew up just after the Milkman delivery era. The first time I heard of milk caps (POGS) was when it became a collector’s fad in the 90’s. It must have been kinda’ neat having fresh milk delivered to your doorstep every week. I forget where it was, but Anthony Bourdain featured a door-to-door fresh produce cart vendor in one of his shows.

@ Richard – Here’s a couple visuals of the ORIGINAL Manapua Man…

@ Angela – Yup, PLAY WORLD was located about 2 doors over from Haoli’s clothing store. Remember Haoli’s? They had nice young men’s clothing (mostly). That’s where I got all my Angels Flight pants from! lol

@ Alan – You mean Tomoe Ame. I did a review of that here:

Regarding Chow Funn in a paper cone cup, Wailuku Hongwanji Mission is famous for that at the Maui Fair…
    I have a Maui cookbook with the recipe for that Chow Funn. I’ll need to dig it up.

@ Amy – I tell ya’, Okazuya nowadays is getting pricey! Most places will easily run you over $12 after you make all your selections. St. Louis Delicatessen is still the best deal!

@ mimi – I don’t remember Victoria’s Station. The Old Spaghetti Factory in Ward Warehouse still has a train car in their restaurant. Regarding Pagoda, that was another family favorite of ours as far as town-side eateries. I believe Pagoda just made 50 years in business, which I created a list for.

Regarding Shakey’s, I take it you frequented the location on “Koreamoku” Street. FYI, Sorabol Korean Yakiniku is currently in the very same building Shakey’s there, right across Walmart and HMSA. The Kaneohe Shakey’s had the same features you mentioned. The new Shakey’s in Waipahu is NOTHING like the original I remember back then. Way to “corporate” looking now.

Regarding Woolworths Ala Moana – I remember there used to be a Woolworths Coffee Shop in a separate location in the mall. I think it was on the mall level by Longs. Another thing I always remember about Woolworths Ala Moana was the awesome fried chicken and the SMELL as you walked in there, which was a “pleasant” combination of fried chicken, popcorn, coffee, new clothes and scented wax candles. lol

While we’re there, I also remember the intense smell of fresh-popped popcorn on the ground floor of Sears Ala Moana next door. I swear that popcorn smell permeated into the concrete, as I even to the last day Sears Ala Moana was in business (RIP), I could still smell that popcorn, long, LONG after they stopped doing that!

Regarding the “un-PC” Cigarette Bubble Gum, yup, we used to get a kick puffing out the powdered sugar, that looked like smoke. It was actually really good bubble gum.

@ Ann – I found an old Windy’s Drive In print ad that I’ll post later. I understand Windy’s Drive In was where Burger King in Kaneohe now stands.

@ Kelli – As I wrote in my review of Nibb-Its, the current version is barely like the original I remember back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. If you want to get a true “flashback” of the original Yick Lung Nibb-Its, look for “Hawaiian Luau BBQ Rings” by Tims Cascade Snacks. THAT tastes like the original Nibb-Its!

@ kobi – Thanks. Now your turn! :-)

@ Kelike – The best “Mochi Crunch” back then was the Tomoe brand, when it was sold in the rectangle gallon-size metal tin with the round metal lid. That was the best Arare… super intense shoyu flavor, super dense and super crunchy. Tomoe is still good, but not as great as it used to be. They’re not made in Japan anymore like they used to be. I wanna’ check out Ishiharaya in Waipa-HOO, where they import Senbei from Japan…

Speaking of “Manapua Man”, I was talking with Diner E who grew in Kalihi, and he remembers during his time there was also a “Borax Man”, a “Soda Man”, “Fish Man”, “Bread Man”, “Slop Man” (a pig farmer who would collect your slop in exchangeable 5-gallon metal cans) and of course, a “Milk Man” (during his time, the recycled milk bottles had metal twist caps, not the paper “POGS”).

• September 16, 2014 at 9:36 am

Remember when JC Penneys had the coffee shop in it? They used to have the best hot dogs. The buns were like grilled sweet bread, so yummy.

One day I ate BBQ flavored Pop Chips and kept thinking they tasted familiar. Then I realized they sort of taste like Nibbits. Try them and see if you think the same.

Great memories, KC Drive In, W&M, Maggo’s, Dairy Queen had great teri burgers. I remember going to Shakey’s for pizza, broasted chicken and potatoes and my grandma would bring musubi with her because my grandpa had to have his rice!

• September 17, 2014 at 5:35 am

Being a pretty old fut, my small keed times were the 50s and 60s.. Most of the stuff already talked about, I remember. Near Palama Gakuen Japanese School, there was a candy store that sold all kinds of stuff for the kids, two that haven’t been mentioned yet are the little wax figures filled with Kool Aid/Malolo-style “juice”, jus’ bite off the end and drink up the tablespoon or so of liquid. They also sold dill pickles coated in green wax you peeled off. I got hooked on dill pickles from that experience. Dittoes on the arare from Tomoye.. we used to call it “kaki-mochi” The stuff now doesn’t have as intense a flavor, but I still grin’ ‘um! I also remember the mango seed you used to be able to get with the seed still attached; plus shredded mango seed (seed removed). Thses weren’t like the stuff nowadays, these were candied to a deep mahogany color and had the density and chew of whole seed. Everytime I’m home, I look for it but never seem to be able to find it. :( Speaking of Woolworth’s, my mom used to drag us along shoppoing downtown during the summer (we walked from River Street) and as a reward for being good, we’d stop at the lunch counter at Woolworth’s and she’d buy roast beef sandwiches on a chewy, kaiser-like roll that we’d take home to eat. These were so awesome that we’d willingly go along with her just for the chance of getting to eat these. Looking at the poi in warm milk, my mom used to make us “poi cocktails” by mixing poi and sugar with milk to make sort of a poi shake…ONO! Your kids no like eat poi, try this way! Lots of the other stuff I remember I’ve posted here before on other trips down memory lane.

• September 17, 2014 at 6:17 am

@ Keith-San – Regarding “old school” Mango Seed, with the seed still attached, I know EXACTLY the type you’re talking about. Indeed, no can find ‘dat ‘kine anymore! Check out the local style Mango Seed recipes at this link:

@ Shevon – Nope, don’t remember JC Penny (Ala Moana) having a coffee shop, only Woolworth.

Regarding Nibb-Its, If I see the BBQ Pop Chips, I’ll definitely give them a try. As noted to Kelli previously in this thread, Tim’s Cascade Chips’ “Hawaiian Luau Barbecue Rings” are the real Nibb-Its deal:

Did you mean Magoo’s, or “Maggo’s” If you meant Magoo’s, they’re still around:

KC Drive In still lives on as well in the form of the KC Drive In Waffle Dog (Dayton Asato, nephew of original owners runs it):

As does W&M Burger in Kaimuki:

The last Dairy Queen on Oahu I remember was in Ala Moana Center, where what is now Jack in the Box (right below Macy’s and Shirokiya on the street level; previously Arby’s?).

• September 17, 2014 at 9:39 am

Yes, I know those are all still around, but I don’t get to have them. The sad thing is that so many things live in my memory one way and when I come back home and try them, they aren’t like I remember. Except for W&M, those things are always the same yummy goodness!

• September 19, 2014 at 7:56 am

Being from the 96744 and about the same age I share a lot of the same memories that you have with some extra stuff since I was a little farther down the road in Kahaluu. Before Temple Valley shopping center I remember going to Yamashiro store at the intersection of Kamehameha and Waihee. We used to buy grab bags, astro pops and ice cream. I think on Wednesdays the fishman would come to our house and my bachan would buy ahi or vegtables. We would run around the house looking for loose change to buy the rice candy that came with the little toy or the Japanese bubble gum that came with the tattoo wrapper. After school the manapua man would be outside in his two tone VW van side door open. Once in a while some guy would venture to our neighborhood with his Italian ice van. Once Temple Valley opened Goody Corner was the new spot to get our candy, shave ice and seed fix. Golden Crown was our Chinese go to restaurant. Shakeys was the place for my dad and uncles to go and drink while the kids played video games or watched them make the pizzas. Farrells was fun but never was a video game master like you.

• September 19, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Milwaukee, WI Oktoberfest goes on for the whole month of September: https://www.oktoberfestmilwaukee.com/ in Glendale and is not to be confused with Milwaukee German Fest: http://germanfest.com/ which occurs during the last full weekend in July from Friday to Sunday each year at the Summerfest Grounds (World’s largest Annual Music Festival June to July; 11 days, 11 stages and 800 Acts) in downtown Milwaukee: http://www.summerfest.com/

• September 22, 2014 at 8:27 pm

RE KEIKI KAUKAU MEMORIES………..someone mentioned the price of a can of REAL abalone….OUCH! They actually have it under lock & key to prevent five-fingah discount! My fav was the whole dried one……..all the Hilo Japanese Mom & Pops used to sell’um for about 75cents for one the size of a baseball………..good for at least a week!….but, gotta have wun sharp knife. My parents even used to include it in my “care pkg.” when I was in the service………….along w/the cuttlefish (whole & shredded), see mui, dried squid AND IBI…when it didn’t require a line of credit to buy! LOL!
    Speaking of mui, everybody seems to use the generic term “crack seed” for all the different types…….but my fav was literally the one with the CRACKED SEEDS! Came in a brown paper bag (like all of’em back them) but it had a distinctive flavor because of the taste of the NUT inside the seed. AUWE!……… the poor people that had to clean up the floor of the movie theaters!
    At the “SHOW” I also loved JuJuBes….especially da black (licorice) ones!
    Poi………Pomai mentioned eating it with warm milk…………..I liked it with “Lani Moo” or “Elsie’s” condensed milk………….and, giving new meaning to “Root Beer Float”, yep, w/soda ontop!
    The garbage man always had a sack of giant bubble gum “Jawbreakers” for the keiki.
    Us Hilo kids used to pig out on “Wi” (vee)………..(haven’t seen a Wi tree foevah!……..”Waiawi” (which we incorrectly called Vai-vi………..both the red & yellow……..mountain apple, rose apple…………..and, besides the shoyu mango, we would soak half-ripe thin-sliced guavas……….den drink da shoyu/sugah/vineegah/peppah sauce wenn pau! LOL!
    Camping food was ALWAYS Pordagee Sausage & eggs & corned beef/cabbage w/onions.
    AND, I still consider myself A SUSHI FREAK………..and, NO ONE in the state could top the HUGE, JUICY cones from Mizoguchi Okazu-ya on Kilauea Ave…….need 3 napkins………….BROKE da MOUT!! My first taste of high muckety-muck sushi, believe it or not, was in Hamburg, Germany…………..and I still prefer good ol’ cone or maki!
    Trivia…………while eating at a fancy Japanese restaurant in Frankfurt, Germany, I ordered the sushi pupu platter………..then bitched ’cause there was no cone sushi…………you need to picture this scenario…….while trying to explain to a Japanese waitress wearing a kimono & geta, IN GERMAN, what cone sushi was………..I drew her a picture with arrows indicating “Inari” sushi & “Aburage”…………..she takes the napkin into the kitchen……..and the “Sushi Samurai”, complete with rising sun headband, comes running outta the back and sez: “You must be from Hilo, Hawaii”!!! After I picked my jaw up off the floor……..he explained that cone sushi was invented in HILO! GO FIGGAH!!
    Sayonara,
    Wally-san

• August 30, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Aloha,

Can anyone help me locate what we used to call seed leis.  They were whole plum seed lei.  They were individually wrapped and the packaging was multi colored.  We would buy them from Ben Frankin or Long in the Kahalui Shopping Center on Maui.  Any assistance would be helpful.  I think my mom and sisters would get a kick out of them.  Maybe even start to cry from the fond memories.

Charles