Jack in the Box New SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack

There was (and often repeats) Taco Bell’s Kalua Pork Burrito & Quesadilla (“the FIYAH!“) and McDonald’s Taro & Haupia Pies. And now once again a national fast food chain is offering an exclusive menu item for Hawaii, this time with Jack in the Box all new SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack, launched this past Thursday at all Hawaii locations, for a limited time 2-month run.

Before continuing, I must say that having to consume a fast food burger (with SPAM® in it, no less) for the sake of this review, yes, you should thank me for yet again “taking one for the team”! *rolls eyes*

If you’ve had their Jr. Jack, then this is essentially the same thing, being a smaller version of the Jumbo Jack, with the addition of a slice of griddle-fried Hormel SPAM® and a slathering of Teriyaki Sauce.

Let’s have a look how it arrives from the counter…

Jack in the Box all new SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack

The can of SPAM obviously added for visual reference.

Let’s get a look at it unwrapped…

Better yet, let’s dissect it layer by layer…

• A very fresh and supple plain bun that’s been lightly toasted (a good sign!).
• A light spreading of Mayo’ on the bun’s topside, where notice they don’t go overboard like, say, at Burger King where they try to strangle your arteries with the stuff.
• Also slathered on the bun’s topside is an adequately-thick and very tasty teriyaki sauce that tastes “local”, in all sincerity.
• Several adequate pieces of chopped white onions in there for added flavor and texture contrast.
• Fresh ‘n crisp Iceberg lettuce, along with a single slice of fresh, not overripe tomato.
• One single sliced dill pickle.
• One single approximately (thinner on one side) 1/4″ thick cut slice of griddle-fried SPAM “classic” (NOT the new Teriyaki flavor).
• Jack in the Box’ standard Jr. Jack beef patty, which is about the size of most typical fast food “value meal” burgers.

Hai, let’s try it…

And? Dude! This is a winnah! I’m really surprised! I totally thought it was gonna’ suck, but nope, Jack’s SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack is ROCKIN’ IT!

I was expecting the SPAM to clash with the beef patty or simply be over-the-top, but it’s the exact opposite. In fact, as you bite through the perfectly-sized burger, it doesn’t really taste like the SPAM is added on top of it, but that it’s an integral part of the tasty beef patty in each and every bite. It makes the “all beef” patty (if you can say that) taste more like a 50/50 burger, having half pork and half beef in it.

The saltiness of the SPAM acted like “turbo boost” for the beef patty, making it explode with flavor, while not being overbearing, thanks to the fresh lettuce and tomato that helped cut through the salt.

Personally, what I think makes this SPAM-meets-beef burger shine the most is that DILL PICKLE. Yup, that single, thin, acidic, pungent slice of dill pickle was the ticket, being the perfect “palate igniter”, marrying together the multifaceted blend of beef and pork, the robust and sweet depth of the teriyaki sauce and the freshness from the veggies. So much so, that I think this sandwich would be amiss without it.

Although the SPAM doesn’t cover the entire surface of the beef patty, because it’s so salty, the approximately 1/4″ thick griddle-fried slice they put on it is the perfect amount to make every bite satisfyingly onolicious with that magical blend once again of pork and beef.

Jack in the Box all new SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack, available for a limited time exclusively in Hawaii for $1.99 each.

And I wouldn’t do one more thing to this, except perhaps of course using a better quality beef patty, and maybe a little more Teri’ sauce. Other than that, Jack’s new SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack is just about perfect as delivered. And at just $1.99 each plus tax, is a fantastic value. Just the one I sampled for this review and I was “good”.

As for nutritional information, Jack in the Box currently doesn’t have the SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack listed on their website, however here’s the numbers for the standard Jr. Jack:

Calories – 325 (from Fat – 135)
Fat – 15g (Saturated Fat – 5g)
Sodium – 720mg
Carbs – 32g (Sugar – 5g)
Protein – 13g

This actually isn’t the first time Jack in the Box has introduced a menu item with SPAM, as according to The Impulsive Buy (hilarious review blog; you gotta’ read it!),  back in 2012, they introduced the SPAM Croissant Sandwich.

That’s all their exclusive Hawaii menu items, making SPAM and Portuguese Sausage its main feature, while there’s also a Teri (Teriyaki sauce) Jr. Jack, which is the same as this burger, sans the SPAM® for $1.69.

Summing it up, I say Jack in the Box pretty much nails it with their new SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack. Onolicious winnahz! Try one (or a few) yourself and let us know what YOU think!

Jack in the Box at the corner of Ward Ave. and King Street (across the Blaisdell Center)

What? Jack in the Box all new SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack, available for a limited time
Where did you buy it and how much? Jack in the Box’ Ward & King location, $1.99 each
Big shaka to: The “porky” SPAM flavor totally compliments the beef patty, making it taste like a 50/50 burger; perfect marriage of ingredients; very fresh veggies and bun; great-tasting “local” flavored teriyaki sauce; burger as a whole has that old school homemade taste, like something you’d get a local mom ‘n pop, not a fast food chain; an excellent value considering, size, freshness of ingredients (except patty) and price.
No shaka to: Beef burger patty slightly dry (however remedied by the “juicy SPAM and teri sauce); could use a bit more teri’ sauce; fast food nutritional “values”.
The Tasty Island rating: 4 SPAM Musubi (or make that 4 SPAM Burgers)

The Tasty Island related links:
JITB Munchie Meals Review
New University of Hawaii ‘Throwback Jack’ Antenna Ball
Go Warrior Jack!
• Jack’s Jumbo Deal

Product Review: SPAM® Teriyaki
SPAM® Spread on Rice ‘n Crackers
TULIP vs. TREET vs. SPAM Musubi Showdown!

P.S. In honor of the late Harry Lyons and Corky Trinidad, two of Hawaii’s legendary editorial cartoonists, here’s a cartoon I illustrated to depict this review…

Hawaii’s Spammy hires Jack. Illustration by Pomai, 8.12.14

Kikaider Reboot full feature film recently released in Japan…

26 thoughts on “Jack in the Box New SPAM® Teri Jr. Jack

• August 12, 2014 at 7:15 pm

As a marketing tool they should have added hand sliced spam. You would think the slices would be more evenly sliced. Like the name of the cashier on the receipt. Too bad the name wasn’t Honey Girl.

• August 12, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Man, I won’t make it back to the islands before the two month run ends, but I’m definitely gonna try this at home. Get a jr burger from jack, and slap on a piece of pan fried spam. this is going to be Legen….wait for it…. dary!!!

• August 12, 2014 at 7:55 pm

@ Dant – don’t forget the Teriyaki Sauce. I might also suggest you try replicating this with a burger from In-N-Out!

@ kobi – It appears whoever is behind the marketing of this really wanted to keep it very simple and very “local”, and it really tastes it! Like it came from a tiny old school mom ‘n pop in Kalihi or Wahiawa, not a fast food chain.

• August 12, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I am so trying this the next time I go to JITB. Hopefully they’ll have it here on Maui. Sometimes we don’t get things you guys get on Oahu, like the Katsu Burger at L&L. Never saw it here.

• August 12, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Pomai, I will give a try hope more teriyaki sauce on it.

• August 14, 2014 at 2:25 am

Maybe they should use the Teri flavored Spam, then no need extra teri sauce; jus’ what they put on now. Should be easy, as its the same price as regular Spam

• August 13, 2014 at 6:13 am

@ Kelike – makes sure to request extra sauce. Otherwise they go by the book.

@ David – Hmmm, interesting. Well, the manager at the location I visited did note the storm hampered its scheduled roll-out, so perhaps by this week you’ll get them on Maui.

L&L is a different story, being each location is a franchise. Even here on Oahu, not every location has the Katsu Burger; the Ewa Beach location being one of them. :-O

• August 14, 2014 at 4:37 am

Pomai, I been trying for long time to make Mcdonald have teriyaki burger and at last they did. Now trying to push in Hawaii Mcdonald bento box meal to go; You never know what might happen.

• August 13, 2014 at 9:56 am

Eh…they went forget one ring pineapple! Ha Ha

• August 13, 2014 at 1:22 pm

When I lived in CA, we used to go to a fast food chain called Happi House. They had a teriyaki burger with a pineapple slice on top of the burger. It was actually pretty tasty. The teriyaki burgers at Red Robin and Carl’s Jr. also had pineapple slices on top. I like the pineapple slice when it’s grilled well, not raw.

• August 13, 2014 at 11:30 am

I mix my hamburger 50/50 with ground bacon to make burgers; also 50/50 with ground Portuguese sausage to make burgers but I never thought about mixing 50/50 with ground Spam to make burgers.

• August 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm

@ Chris – Ha! Lots of burger joints make a “Hawaiian Burger” or “Luau Burger” that features a pineapple ring and teriyaki sauce. Then there’s the “Hawaiian” Pizza, with Ham and Pineapple on it. What’s so “Hawaiian” about that?

@ Ken – On Travel Channel’s Food Paradise Burgers TV series, one joint they featured was Slater’s 50/50 in Cali’…

• August 14, 2014 at 2:54 am

Really, the only true Teriburger, IMO, is W&M’s in Kaimuki. They been making them since the 60’s at least.

• August 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm

How about a “Spamclucker” sandwich? 50/50 ground mixture of Spam and chicken meat formed into a patty, battered and deep fried topped with lettuce, tomato, terri sauce mayo, and green onions between 2 toasted hamburger buns or grilled saimin buns.

• August 14, 2014 at 12:34 am

I thought this spam burger was spam mixed with ground beef and grill. I see it not now make me go try make one. What next? Fast food selling bento style box food to go.

• August 14, 2014 at 7:39 am

@ Amy – Well, the Portuguese Sausage, Eggs & Rice breakfast platter could easily become a bento “box” if you add furikake on the rice and a side of takuan.

@ Ken – Your “SPAMClucker® sounds FANTASTIC! Also sounds like a lot of work. Reminds me of the “Oki Burger” I plan on making, which will also be quite a handful to prepare.

@ Keith-San – W&M is the PERFECT example of what I was referring to with this burger! That classic old school mom & pop local style teri burger is what this burger reminds me of, right down to the tasty, “tick” teri’ sauce! W&M’s…

W&M Burger - Hal's Special
    W&M Burger (Kaimuki) – Hal’s Special: BBQ teriyaki steak on top of the teriyaki burger, with a slice of american cheese between it, all topped with onion, iceberg lettuce and (local) tomato

@ David – The Shack (Hawaii Kai, Mililani & Kailua) also served an “Island Burger”, made with a char-grilled 1/4 pound beef patty, grilled pineapple, american cheese and teriyaki sauce. I used to be the webmaster for the Hawaii Kai location, and took photos of all their dishes. Gotta’ get their website back up how it SHOULD be (currently it’s missing all menu images). ;-)

• August 14, 2014 at 9:01 am

No kidding, Pomai… I swear that they mixed the teri sauce into the meat before grilling it… not like all the others with the sauce just on top…

• August 14, 2014 at 9:25 am

Keith-San,

Actually, at W&M, they dip the beef patty in their teriyaki sauce just before it’s done cooking, then back on the grill to caramelize the sauce. Then after it’s pau grilling, they put it back in the teri sauce and let it sit shortly to let it soak up the goodness. Something to that effect. I’ve watched the mama-San cooking it several times. Full-on teriyaki “double-dip”!

W&M Burger takes a teriyaki “bath”

W&M “Royal” Teriyaki Cheeseburger & Fries

W&M Burger on Waialae Ave. in Kaimuki (near St. Louis/Chaminade campus) – home of da’ ichiban best flame-grilled teriyaki burgers

I haven’t been back to W&M Burger in a while now. I know they’re still there. Sounds like a plan this weekend before hitting the beach! Also sounds like another place you’ll have to hit on your next trip back home!

• August 15, 2014 at 5:28 am

MMMMMMM…. I so jealous! I was just home last month but nevah get chance to hit W&M… But did hit many of the spots you’ve featured on the site, plus my faves like Rainbow, City Diner, Zippy’s, etc… Too much ono stuff, no’ nuff time!

• August 14, 2014 at 9:50 am

A couple of years ago I ate and Honolulu Burger Co., and noticed that Spam was available under the “extra toppings” part of the menu. I thought to myself that next time I would get a burger with Spam on it (ideally, Spam and a fried egg!). Haven’t made it back yet, though.

A&W Okinawa is currently having an “Aloha Campaign”, with an avocado/pineapple burger and haupia shake. I’ll pass on the burger, but I’d definitely try the shake!

• August 14, 2014 at 10:00 am

Debbie-Chan,

What did you think of Honolulu Burger Co.’s burger? I think they’re one of the best on Oahu.

Wow, the Okinawans sure love their Hawaii stuff. YouTube had several more A&W Okinawa commercials with Hawaii-themed menu promotions. The “Aloha Burger” looks pretty good! Never thought of combining Avocado with Pineapple.

After you mentioned Okinawa again, I just remembered you were the one who sent me the photo of the Okinawa Anniversary SPAM can and Okinawa “Burger”. Being those are totally relevant to this review, here they are one more time…

Okinawa 70th Anniversary collectible SPAM can

Okinawa 70th Anniversary collectible SPAM can

Okinawa MOS Burger’s “Okinawa Burger”

What part of Okinawa do you live in? Diner E’s heritage goes back to the Yomitan village in the Nakagami District. He belongs to the Yomitan Club, who always takes part in the annual Okinawan Festival at Kapiolani Park, coming up in just two weeks from now on Labor Day weekend!

• August 14, 2014 at 10:32 am

I don’t live in Okinawa (I’m in the SF Bay Area), but I go to visit my Mom’s family every other year, or so. They are in Gushikawa (now part of Uruma City), on the other side of the island from Yomitan (not so far, though — it’s a narrow island!). Sadly, because of a family issue, I can’t make my annual Labor Day trip to Oahu this year, so I’ll miss both the Okinawa Festival and the Hawaii Food & Wine Festival, which I’ve gone to for the last two years and really enjoy (especially the day trip to He’eia). :( No andadog for me.

Last visit to Okinawa (Jan. ’13) they didn’t have the Okinawa Burger at MOS. I was really bummed, because it was pretty darn good (just looking at that picture is making me hungry –but I haven’t had lunch yet, either)! But I did get the 75th anniversary Spam commemorative can, which has an eisa drummer on it.

• August 14, 2014 at 10:44 am

Debbie-Chan,

Ah, SF Bay area. Love it there!

Please, please, PLEASE send me hi-res photos of the Okinawa 75th anniversary SPAM commemorative can, oneigaishimasu! Front, side and back label if possible. :-)

• August 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I’ll definitely send pictures, but I’m mid-move right now, and might not be able to easily put my hands on my digital camera, so they might be low-res cell phone pics! I’ll be in the same location as the can this weekend.

• August 27, 2014 at 7:15 am

Got a neww spam out that you gotta try……CHORIZO !!! Saw it at Foodland !!

• August 27, 2014 at 8:05 am

Dd,

I’ve already got a can of SPAM Chorizo in the pantry (plus a bunch of other flavors), awaiting a product review…