If you search the web on the subject of “pet peeves in the kitchen”, not surprisingly, you’ll find most folks share a common overall peeve: LACK of CLEANLINESS. From the food, dishes, cookware, utensils, gadgets, appliances, countertops, cabinets, backsplash, walls, ceiling and floors, to the chemicals and equipment used to clean it.
Yet of course lack of cleanliness isn’t the only thing to get under folks skin.
I bring this up out of frustration I suffered from an “incident” that happened recently which seems to recur for me.
“Houdini” the Bread Tie
This happened to me yet again the other morning while making a sandwich to take to work. I grabbed the loaf of bread, opened it, not thinking twice about where I placed the plastic bread tie on the countertop, taking this minute, yet important observation for granted.
I then hurriedly proceeded to the fridge and pantry to grab the rest of the sandwich ingredients and go on to make the sandwich, only to discover as I’m ready to put things away, that I can’t find the bread tie… again! Arggghhhhh!
Then it takes me as long to finally find the dang bread tie as it did to make the friggin’ sandwich!
And where was is it? Apparently it must have stuck to my mayonnaise-coated chef’s knife on the chopping board, as when I first lifted it up to look on the board (not under the knife), I swear it wasn’t there. Then when I went back again to check twice, there it was right under the knife, resting “innocently” on the chopping board. WTH?!!!
And I know I could easily just reach in a drawer for a back-up tie, but still, it’s the principle of it. Where the eff did the one I just had go?!
“Houdini” the Patis
Ever prepare a dish, “knowing” for sure you had all the ingredients, yet it never fails, there’s that one item (or more) that seems to have played “Houdini” on you?
The most recent for me was an almost new bottle of Patis I only used a few drops of several months ago, and never touched the bottle in the refrigerator since.
I swear I left it on the refrigerator door’s (long forgotten) bottom shelf, tucked between the Ohana Seafoods Misoyaki Sauce and Lee Kum Kee Hoisin (both also of which haven’t used for a while). I’m about to start making this Filipino dish called Ginisang Upo, when I go into the fridge for the Patis and POOF. The Patis is nowhere to be found, even after almost completely overhauling the fridge. Zippo.
I’m freakin’ STEAMING MAD, as now I have to run to the store for a new bottle of Patis I KNOW I have, and I HARDLY EVER USE. Then a week later, where does the original bottle of Patis show up? Right there where it was supposed to be.
Now I have two bottles of Patis that will end up hiding from me again. And then watch, next time I need the Hoisin, that’s going to be “playing Houdini” on me, too!
What’s funny is these can actually be considered self-caused pet peeves out of simply being mindless where I put things. Either that, or there’s a ghost in my kitchen hiding things from me?
Perhaps I should take one of them home organization workshops. Or a workshop on “How to effectively look for and find something that’s been misplaced”. lol
Also, I think I need brighter lighting in my kitchen, lit like an operating room so I can really see and find EVERYTHING, including inside every kitchen cabinet.
The “Serial Kitchen Cabinet Door Leaver Opener”
More amusing kitchen peeves I’ve read on other forums, and also some additions I’ve listed that I can personally relate to:
• The “Serial Kitchen Cabinet Door Leaver Opener” (guilty as charged!)
• The “Serial Packages, Bottles and Jars Leaver Opener” (not resealing them properly or at all)
• The “Serial Kitchen Trash is Full and piling over Non-Emptier” (change the damned bag!)
• The “Compulsive Canned Goods on Sale Hoarder” (you have enough canned corn, tomato sauce and chicken stock to start your own soup company)
• The “Armchair Sous Chef” (someone not doing the cooking constantly telling you how to cook the dish(es) you’re preparing)
• Guests who offer to help you cook, that end up not knowing how to cook or prepare food at all (What is this, a cooking school?)
• Guests who INSIST to help you cook and clean in the kitchen when you DON’T WANT any HELP!… yet they keep insisting!
• Fast food condiment hoarders (saving McDonald’s ketchup packets from 10 years ago)
• The Ajax (or Comet) and Scouring Pad Misuser & Abuser (there goes that beautiful factory finish on your brand new stainless steel refrigerator)
• Mixing the chopsticks with the other utensils in the drawer (this one really p#sses me off! I hate fumbling for matching chopsticks between forks and knives!)
• Putting the shoyu bottle (or whatever else) back in the refrigerator or pantry EMPTY (refill it or throw it away!)
• Not kahi’ing the poi bowl (cleaning the excess poi stuck to the side of the bowl)
What unique pet peeves do you have in the kitchen?