SPAM JAM™ kiosk

Spotted by a coworker of mine while on a visit to the Philippines is this here SPAM JAMkiosk. It’s located in the SM Mall of Asia in Pasay City, which borders Manila. I wonder if Hormel has approved them trademarking that name, as we all know how big they are on promoting the Waikiki SPAM JAM.

Whatever the case, looking at the prices, at the current exchange rate of 44 peso to the dollar, the SPAM Musubi for 38 peso comes out to 86¢, and the SPAM Burger and SPAM Breakfast Platter for 72 peso comes out $1.64 each.

While on the subject, a local radio station was sharing this photo on their Facebook page this morning…

Breakfast Musubi. Image courtesy of JustJennRecipes.com

This Hash Brown, Bacon SPAM & Egg Breakfast Musubi idea originally comes courtesy of JustJennRecipes.com, which Jenn explains was inspired when Hormel sent her a can of SPAM Bacon to try. Genius! I shall try making this myself!

While we’re at her website, just when you THOUGHT you’ve seen it all at the annual Waikiki SPAM JAM, Jenn busts out SPAM Musubi Push Pops!…

SPAM Musubi Push Pops. Image courtesy
of JustJennRecipes.com

How cool is that! Definitely never seen this done before.

SPAM Musubi Push Pops. Image
courtesy of JustJennRecipes.com

Only thing is, she should have created a SPAM Maki Sushi first by centering the SPAM lengthwise within the rice, sprinkled on the outside with Furikake, then somehow getting that into the push pop and compressing it tight. That way as you push it up, you get a balanced, equal amount of SPAM, rice and Furikake in each bite.

I think I’ll submit my application for a booth at next year’s Waikiki SPAM JAM, selling SPAM Musubi Push Pops. Guaranteed would bank! I’ll have to work with Jenn on royalty fees for that. ;-)

8 thoughts on “SPAM JAM™ kiosk

• May 23, 2014 at 12:49 am

I like the breakfast musubi and instead two layer of hash brown just and other rice still with egg.

• May 23, 2014 at 12:51 pm

pat – she’s right, they should have just wired her cash. I remember way back in the late 80’s I worked one summer as a Junior Agent (baggage handler) for Hawaiian Airlines, when, I $h#t you not, the Pago Pago (American Samoa) flights came in routinely loaded with boxes and bags of husked fresh coconuts.

Amy – can tell you’re asian: no matter what, gotta’ have rice! :-P Sounds interesting though with the flavor and texture contrast of the hash browns AND rice. I’l try doing that, too!

• May 23, 2014 at 8:26 pm

At (Waikiki’s) Spam Jam, they were giving out samples of grilled Spam Tocino, so maybe Hormel came to some agreement with the Philippines!

• May 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Neither have I, but I thought the Spam version was good. They were asking people to fill out questionnaires (“did you enjoy this?” “would you buy it if it was available?”), so if they received enough favorable replies, it might be available in stores sometime in the future.

• May 28, 2014 at 8:31 am

Pomai:

Wow… Adobo Spam? what’s next? Li Hing Spam? hmmmmm matbe that’s something to try?

Anyways, I just was in the Army commissary here at Redstone Arsenal and they had choke Spam and even Treet. The special Spam flavorings they had was Hickory, Black Pepper, jalapeno and Hot Pepper (Tabasco). Bought all 4 and will be trying them out over the next few weeks, Plus they had the usual Turkey and Lite Spam. I took a pic of the shelf, what’s the best way to send it to you?

• May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Keith-San,

I recently got to taste the Black Pepper flavor…. so far up there as my favorite one yet! See, with me, you can basically empty the entire pepper mill on my food and I’m a happy camper.

You can email the pics to me at pomai_05yahoo.com. Either that or share them on Picasa, Flickr or your favorite photo hosting site and leave a link right in your comment. It’s so funny how passionate us locals get about SPAM. Andrew Zimmern’s turning in his bed bugs. lol