Going to the Movies in Honolulu

Today I watched Captain America: The Winter Solder, and it was totally AWESOME. Up there as one of my favorite Marvel comics films to date. Even better yet watching it in Ward 16 Consolidated Theater’s premium Titan XC screening room…

The SOUND and HD clarity in the Titan XC room is absolutely incredible. Way, WAY better than any 3-D “experience”. It costs an additional $5 over the standard $9 matinee admission, or $15 regular adult admission, yet so worth it considering the quality, as well as the more spaced out and quite plush, very comfortable reclining seats.

But enough about the movie. Let’s talk about the concession stand grindz. As if the price of admission wasn’t enough, ready for more sticker shock? Check it out…

Right now my wallet is still having convulsions. lol

Notice the Hurricane Popcorn and Mochi Crunch in the mix here. Only in Hawaii my friends, only in Hawaii.

At $3 each, these better be the BEST dang apples and oranges in the world!…

Again, only in a Hawaii movie theater would you find fresh Li Hing Fruit cups…

You know da’ rules…

Adding up the cost for this viewing of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, here’s the breakdown:

Ward 16 Consolidated Theaters (Honolulu, Hawaii on 4.27.14)
• Matinee adult price – $9 each (regular admission is $15),  $18 for two
• Titan XC screening room upgrade – $5 each, $10 for two
• Concession stand Combo #3: 1 large popcorn (including refills) + 2 large drinks – $18
• Mochi Crunch – $4, $8 for two
Total: $52 for two adults

Advertisements

19 thoughts on “Going to the Movies in Honolulu

• April 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm

The,faithful and very nosey readers want to know who you ate da popcorn with…it’s way more romantic if you share one box

• April 27, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Thanks for your many posts with lots of pictures and descriptions on such a variety of Hawaiian food-related subjects. Please keep them coming; yours is my favorite stop on the WWW.

• April 28, 2014 at 12:56 am

When I buy snack at the theaters, I make sure to get large icee for it last longer. Large popcorn with mochi crunch. When mom was little Chinese theaters sold boiled peanuts and watermelon seeds. She can’t stand someone always bring oranges and smell up the theater.

In San Francisco nacho is must have snack

• April 28, 2014 at 5:47 am

Pomai- Did you stay and see the two extra scenes at the end of the movie? It’s basically setting us up for Avengers 2: the Age of Ultron.

• April 28, 2014 at 8:52 am

@ Dean-San – Yep. Sure did. I couldn’t believe how just about everyone dug out of the theater as soon as ending credits began to roll. The second extra scene after all the credits were done was rather predictable, as clued from the actual ending of the movie. Without giving away too much spoilers (yet this is), let’s just say nobody in the Marvel universe really “dies”. “Ultimate Agent” Black Widow sure kicked some serious okole in this one! Now that’s what you call a WOMAN!

@ Amy – The Icee prices are by far the craziest on that menu board. If I were really craving one while watching Black Widow kick @ss, I could handle a $5 Hot Dog, but a $7 medium-sized Icee? Um, no, I don’t think so.

@ BH – Mahalo for the kind words. Will do. :-)

@ Amy – Ah, the Billion Dollar Question! To which I have no further comment. ;-)

• April 28, 2014 at 12:06 pm

All I can say price for snacks in theaters are way too high for me. But on a date I would get the best for her.

• April 28, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Nearly $4 for an apple, orange or banana? No way! Not like I really care too much, because the movie experience requires nachos and a coke the size of a medium swimming pool. Seriously, I love movie nachos so much, it’s almost an excuse to go to the movies.

It’s funny how snacks change over time and location. My (late and dear) grandmother’s aunt used to play the piano at the movies (before the talkies), and my grandmother used to sit on the bench with her all day, armed with the theater snack at the time: pickles and saltines.

• April 28, 2014 at 7:19 pm

h,

How much is the current regular and matinee price of admission for new blockbuster movies in Maryland theaters? Also, are there any regional “specialties” the movie concession stands there sell?

As you see, Hawaii’s movie “thing” is Mochi Crunch (Japanese rice crackers, also known as Arare) with Popcorn, a.k.a. “Hurricane Popcorn”. At home, that would also include a generous sprinkling of Furikake.

Oahu has two major movie theater companies: Consolidated, which has been operating in Hawaii since 1917 (under several ownerships), and more recently, Regal Cinema. Ward 16 Consolidated Theater featured in this post is currently Hawaii’s largest movie megaplex. Great location (near the beach and Ala Moana Center) and great theater experience, albeit as you see, at a price.

• April 29, 2014 at 4:00 am

OMG!! outrageous for a senior to watch in the theater, being on a fixed income…discounts on tickets are a great courtesy @ matinee, however, costco movie tickets are best with a detour to
    Longs drugs first (LOL)…just as long your date doesn’t snore aloud with jaw hanging, its worth every penny to share at coffee klash. Tis a marvel.

• April 29, 2014 at 4:09 am

Senior like me watch once in a while at theater. Prices of food or snack there is very high indeed. Reason I watch online make own snack at home. Fix income is why.

• April 29, 2014 at 5:36 am

With the prices you pay in Honolulu for a movie, I would rather impress a date with a nice and classy dinner, follow by a walk on a moonlit beach. Do you have $1 movie theaters on O’ahu, like they do in Hilo? The movie may be cheap, but the snacks aren’t…LOL!

• April 29, 2014 at 6:17 am

@ Dean-San – We used to have Wallace Movie “Plex” in Restaurant Row (Kaka’ako area) featuring $1 movies (set price), however they closed in 2010. Someone on Yelp said back in 2007 drinks and soda were just $1.50. I went there only once: it seemed more ike you were in a medium-sized conference room crammed with “stadium seats”, not a high ceiling movie theater. The movies they showed weren’t new releases of course, but at the stage just before DVD pressing. Some way past that point. That space is now an eye surgery center.

@ Richard & Bugsy – Contrary to the notion of a fixed income (including people in school as well) I remember reading an article in the local news a while back that said statistically people in Hawaii typically spend more money on “entertainment” per capita than any other state, even during economic hardship such a recession. I can’t remember if that was only venues such as movies, plays and concerts, or if that also included bars and nightclubs; all of which have highly inflated food and/or alcohol prices.

While I haven’t been there yet, I hear Wet & Wild Water Park out in West Oahu also has some outrageous concession stand prices.

It still kinda’ saddens me that the all-American drive-in movie theater has gone away. I’ll always remember going with my parents to Kailua Drive-In. Great keiki memories. Funny note on that, I remember one time this elderly couple parked next to us were leaving the drive-in, and they forgot to put the drive-in speaker back on the stand, and as they drove away, with the speaker still hanging on their car’s window, ripped the speaker wire right off the stand… and they never did turn back. Just kept going! LOL!!!!

• April 29, 2014 at 1:16 pm

The 1950s Rustic Drive-in (3 screen drive-in) is still operating every Fri & Sat (Apr-Sep) with 2 feature films per screen for $25 per carload with full food concession near my old home city back in Rhode Island: https://www.facebook.com/RusticDriveIn

• April 29, 2014 at 8:42 am

I remember taking family to the drive-in movie to see an Elvis film. Wife and I enjoyed it but kids found not so great sitting in car ended up sleeping during film. We brought our own snacks that family like and see those were the days.

• April 29, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I like to go there on Tuesday when it’s $6 per person and you get a small popcorn for $2 and hotdogs for $1. I believe you have to have their “Extras” card.

• April 30, 2014 at 5:34 am

Shhh….das why you carry one big purse…kakimochi, candy, and a bottle of water inside! Time for you to buy a man purse.

Anyway, here in IL they don’t have kakimochi for sale in the theater. I do have to say our theater closest to me is pretty reasonable. You get a card that gives you one point for each movie ticket you buy and you can use points for concession items.

For a matinee it is $6.75. Took two of my kids to the movies the other day…paid less than $20 for 3 tickets to get in and had 8 points which gave us two free drinks and a bucket of popcorn. Paid for a $4 bottle of water for my daughter. So, 3 tickets, 2 drinks, 1 popcorn less than $25. Also, free drink refills and 50 cent popcorn refills (many times they don’t charge).

Add in the $2 dollars I paid for the kakimochi at Mitsuwa and the $3 I paid for candy at Walgreens. About $10 per person. Not bad.

• April 30, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Hi Pomai.. this isn’t a reply but an idea. As BH noted your blog is his favorite stop on the WWW. Mine too!!!! Have you ever done a posting on, “What would your ideal meal be and who would you invite?” Guests being anyone who has ever lived, past and present. This is such a creative and original food blog that I’d love to read your scenario.

• May 2, 2014 at 5:54 am

@ Erica – Great post idea! Hmmm, I’d have to think REALLY long and hard to answer that one. ;-)

@ Shevon – I know many local folks do that, however I wanted to illustrate what it costs straight out of pocket for the “unprepared”. If you read Lenora’s comment, apparently Consolidated has an “Extra’s” card, which I wasn’t aware of, being I’m not a big movie buff, more of a YouTube clip kinda’ person. It’s an ADD/OCD thing. lol

Um, $6.75×3=$20.25 (unless the kid’s matinee price was less than that?). Yet hey, doesn’t that $4 bottle of water practically negate the savings from everything else? The thought that could get have gotten you a whole case at the store for that price for that big family of yours should have been egging your mind throughout watching Captain America. :-P

@ Lenora – I was not aware Consolidated has an “Extras” card and special deals on Tuesdays. Must be busy on that day!

@ Richard – Usually when families had lots of kids, they’d back their car up and set a matt on the ground (gravel) in front, and keep all their grinds easily accessible in the open trunk. Our family car back then was a huge 70’s Ford Landau (remember that model?), so we could easily see out from all seats. At least that I remember, nor cared. lol

@ Ken-San – Kam Drive-In (across Pearlridge in Aiea) used to have two movie screens (previously it was only one).

• May 5, 2014 at 6:34 am

@ Pomai…haha, yes, I can add. The kids price was only $6.00 for the matinee. Adult price was $6.75. I was trying to shorten my comment!

We are fortunate that the particular theater we frequent does have better prices than most in the area and the club card gives us discounts on concessions and freebies with points. And, yes, I understand your point of illustrating the costs for non-discount seeking movie goers. If we went to a non-matinee movie and paid for every treat we purchased at the theater (without the cost of unavailable kakimochi), our total would have been closer to $50 than $25 for the two kids and I.

If we add the husband into the mix, we would be at $70 and if we went to a theater with a bar, well, the budget just flies out the window.