Egg Fest

Soul Patrol Omelette Station Sample Menu

One key food allowed that had me choose a pescetarian diet for losing weight are eggs. I LOVE eggs and would never make it on that diet, should it be forbidden.

While they’ve become notorious for the high amount of cholesterol in the yolk, eggs are a nutritional powerhouse, being a great source of protein and numerous vitamins, including vitamin A, potassium and many B vitamins such as folic acid, choline and biotin. Add to that their relatively cheap cost, diverse ways to use them, and of course, they’re delicious, it’s no wonder eggs are loved the world over.

Soul Patrol Executive Chef and owner Sean Priester fires up cooked–to-order southern style omelettes at the KCC Farmers Market every Saturday morning

Just about any way they’re cooked, and I’ll whack ’em. Sunny side up is, and always has been my favorite, as I think of the rich runny yolk as the ultimate “nature’s sauce”, eagerly anticipating mixing it into my rice or sopping over my toast. GOD do I love that! Next to that, I’ll take ’em over easy, and of course the other style still in the shell, soft boiled. As long as the yolk is runny or at least “loose”, hook me up.

Soul Patrol cooked-to-order Gumbo Omelette smothered with lots of melted Cheddar CHEESE!!!

When it comes to omelette stations as shown here by Chef Sean Priester of Soul Patrol, these are actually way too “heavy” for me. I’m not one for meats in my omelette, preferring just veggies such as bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and of course lots ‘n lots of MUSHROOMS! The only extra heavy stuff I like in my omelette is lots ‘n lots of ooey gooey melted CHEESE. Any cheese! So in that regard, this is slam-ah’ jam-ah’ for me.

Loco Moco

No question the most infamous egg dish in Hawaii is the Loco Moco. Two eggs over two hamburger patties, smothered with brown gravy. And if they really get it right, also include sauteed onions (not included above). Served with 2 scoops rice and mac salad, of course. Enough comfort grub to keep any truck driver happy… as well their cardiologist’s bank account.

McDonald’s Hawaii “Local Deluxe Breakfast Platter”: Portuguese Sausage, SPAM, Eggs & Rice. $5.69

While we’re on local style comfort food, we can’t forget the always ono Portuguese Sausage, Eggs and Rice. In the example above, with SPAM, too, of course! Which is so popular for breakfast in the islands, the dish is a mainstay on McDonald’s of Hawaii’s breakfast menu. If I’m going to cheat on my diet for breakfast, that’s high on my list of onolicious decadence.

Grandma G’s Portuguese Sweet Bread French Toast breakfast plate at KCC Farmers Market

Kickin’ local style breakfast platters up a notch, we have Grandma G’s Portuguese Sweet Bread French Toast, sausage ‘n scrambled eggs platter. OK, wait a minute: is it Portuguese? Or is it French? I dunno. As long as it tastes good, who cares?! lol

Wailana Coffee House Eggs Benedict

Speaking of breakfast decadence, nothing can be more so than the classic Eggs Benedict. I swear, Hollandaise Sauce is another one of them “Food of the Gods”, it’s so rich and so delicious! Egg yolks incorporated with melted butter and seasoned with Nutmeg? You KNOW that’s gonna’ rock your world! And how I love a well-made poached egg or two!

Balut

If you’re new to this blog and haven’t come across the post on the subject yet, you should definitely check out my adventure sampling the Filipino egg specialty known as Balut. Balut is basically an egg that’s steamed or boiled when the chick has begun fetus development during an incubation period of no more than 18 days. Or somewhere around there. At that point, it’s already developed distinguishable features, including bone structure, organs, eyes, beak, and sometimes feathers. Albeit everything’s still very soft, so it’s easy to consume, tasting essentially like a hybrid of chicken “soup” and a hard boiled egg if you will. Mmmmmm, doesn’t that sound delicious?! lol  For more information, see this very informative and graphic post on Balut.

On the more “normal” side of eggs cooked in their shell, I also love a good ‘ole hard boiled egg (or several!). With Easter Sunday right around the corner, many of you will probably be hitting Sam’s or “Costcos” lol to pick up eggs in bulk to hard boil, color dye, decorate and hide for the keiki to hunt. What I like is that my coworkers usually have a surplus of hard boiled colored Easter Eggs the next Monday, which they bring to share at work. Salt ‘n lots of pepper and I’m good.

If you ever watch Korean soaps and travelogues, you’ll notice boiled eggs are very popular there. What’s funny is, they’ll often pop the whole egg in their mouth. What’s up with that? Go easy, champ!

Menya Shokudo Shoyu Ramen

Still on the subject of boiled eggs, can’t forget Ajitama served in Japanese Ramen. A boiled egg that’s simmered in soy sauce and other seasonings, preferably where the yolk inside is still soft.

Uzuranotamago-yaki (Japanese grilled Quail Eggs). Image courtesy of numnums.com

Another FANTASTIC Japanese egg dish is Uzuranotamago-yaki. Yakitori style Quail Eggs, which are simply boiled quail eggs on a stick that are grilled over hot coals and coated generously with what is essentially Teriyaki sauce. Sugoi oishii-yo! There’s this popular restaurant/bar in the Ginza of Tokyo area called Torigin who are famous for them (been there, done that many times!).

My mom loves Chinese Salted Duck Egg, or as the Cantonese waitress at Kin Wah in Kaneohe used to say, “Duh Aye”. Get it? lol

Chinese Duck Egg is indeed quite salty, really punching out its unique “gamey” flavor, as compared to a chicken egg. The brownish-red yolk is also a lot more bold in flavor and “heavy” than a standard chicken egg. My experience eating Duck Egg is dipped in Shoyu mixed with Coleman’s Mustard, as is just about everything else served at a Chinese Restaurant. Duck Egg also goes great served with Lup Cheong and Rice. Oh yeah!

Chinese “Century Egg”. Image courtesy of My Food and Travels blog.

I’ve never tried Chinese “Century Egg” before, and must admit, its appearance makes me just as squeamish as that of Balut. I’m certainly up for trying it though.

Chinese Egg Drop Soup. Image courtesy of The Grub Files blog.

When I was a little boy, my grandmother “Mama” used to always make me Chinese Egg Drop Soup when I was sick, served with of all things, Poi! And you know what? It totally rocked with that combo’! Dang, I haven’t had that dish ever since I was a keiki, so I’m definitely going to try the recipe above soon!

Fish Jun, a.k.a. Dongtaejeon from Tasty Korean BBQ in Mililani Towne Center

A dish some folks may not think of as being “egg-centric” is Meat Jun and it’s “Flipper” cousin, Fish Jun. Most local places coat the beef or fish in flour then liberally dredge in an egg wash before cooking it on the flattop, while others also add Korean Pancake mix into the egg wash for a fuller body and more glutenous texture to the batter.

Lee’s Bakery (King Street, Chinatown Honolulu) famous Custard Pie

We’ll wrap up this Egg Fest on a sweet note with a slice of Custard Pie from Lee’s Bakery, known as one of the best on the island. In case you’re not familiar with the basic custard recipe, it’s essentially “congealed” eggs, including predominantly that, milk or cream, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg for flavor.

While I didn’t cover every ethnic take on eggs, the dishes above reflect an interesting variety.

I suppose you can figure out what I had for breakfast this morning. :-)

Are you an egg fanatic? Can’t stand the stuff? Allergic? Only if it’s organic and/or free-range? Use any egg substitutes, such as Egg Beaters®? Leave a comment and vote in the poll!

21 thoughts on “Egg Fest

• April 6, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Totally witcha on eggs. I avoided them for awhile, but I can’t live on a planet without huevos. I used to also use margarines, and then when it became possible to buy real grass fed butter, I went back to my Wisconsin Dairy State roots. All in moderation. It was a good day when I learned to properly poach a coupla eggs.

• April 6, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Never tried century egg?

You should definitely cut it into pieces and eat it in some hot jook. That way, you can have a taste of it before you go balls-out into trying it by itself.

• April 6, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Love eggs benedict smothered in hollandaise. Tried making scotch eggs once. Too much work. Haole loco moco for me in da PNW is biscuits and gravy with sunny side eggs on top. When I’m lazy sunnyside eggs on rice. Mix with shoyu and tobasco. Winnahs!

• April 6, 2014 at 6:21 pm

@ kobi – Oh man, biscuits and gravy when done properly? The BEST! However I’ve had some BAD biscuits and gravy that were really bad. Most times they don’t make the roux properly, so you can taste the flour. I tried a Cured Salmon Benedict at the Cream Pot here once. It was OK. Can’t beat the classic version.

@ Ricky – nope, never tried it. Most of my Chinese restaurant experience was with my parents growing up, and all my mom ever ordered was Duck Egg, no matter where we went, even on our many travels to Hong Kong. I was just talking with a half Chinese aunt of mine today, and asked her how Century Egg taste, and she said it has a sulfuric flavor that’s definitely an acquired taste, while not being salty at all. She said the best way to eat it is wrapped in lettuce, in Jook (as you said) and also with pickled ginger as shown. If I can handle Balut, surely I can Century Egg.

@ Marcus – I never cared for Huevos Rancheros. The combination of tomatoes and chili with sunny side up eggs doesn’t appeal to me. Perhaps I just didn’t try a real good one.

I always use real butter when I fry eggs, not oil. Really kicks up the flavor, especially if its scrambled or an omelette. You just have to make sure the butter doesn’t brown or burn. Work fast.

• April 7, 2014 at 1:09 am

I had tea eggs in Taipei street foods. It was good cook tea seasoning and learn to see egg dishs must cooked fresh or food poison like in Hawaii I had food poison from egg salad sandwich kept out too long. So hope farmer market venders careful how they sell and serve egg dishes. Hawaii weather humid..

• April 7, 2014 at 2:25 am

I’m not an egg fan at all. However, I love egg custard and flan, sweet and savory (the latter is kind of like quiche w/o the crust). I also love hollandaise, especially if it’s super lemony with a dash of cayenne pepper. With good hollandaise, If it was socially acceptable (and not a total body killer) I would just have that in a bowl as soup.

• April 7, 2014 at 5:29 am

I love how on most menus, when you see loco moco they always asked you how you want your eggs. I have seem people order them scrambled, but I always wondered how they would react to someone ordering them poached or soft boiled. Would they honor the request, or just look at you funny?

• April 7, 2014 at 6:24 am

@ Dean-San – I’m surprised Alan Wong’s Pineapple Room doesn’t poach their Peterson Farm eggs on their Loco Moco…

The Pineapple Room – The “Loco Moco” (brown gravy served on the side), $18.50

I think The Pineapple Room currently holds the award for Hawaii’s most expensive Loco Moco. Any takers?

In Waikiki at the Cream Pot, this is their Salmon Eggs Benedict…

Cream Pot – Salmon Eggs Benedict: Grey Goose (Vodka)-cured, Caramelized Onions, Lacy Potato Cakes, Two Soft-Poached Eggs, Mornay Sauce. $12.50

@ h – ah, yes, I forgot about the all important squeeze of lemon when making the classic Hollandaise. Very important to cut through the richness of the sauce.

Speaking of body killer, I’m deeply saddened to hear standup comedian and actor John Pinette passed away this past Saturday at just 50 years old. John was known for his self-deprecating stand-up comedy, constantly poking fun at his own obesity. My favorite was his Chinese buffet routine, “Hey big man, you heah’ fo’ howah (4 hours), you go now!” RIP John Pinette… the comedy world has lost a gem. :-(

@ Amy – hmmm, Tea Eggs in Taipei, aye? Sounds interesting. What kind of Tea? I know Japanese like to mix shoyu and sugar in their eggs when making omelettes. I used to do that as a kid, but don’t care for that taste anymore. While not from directly eggs, I’ve been served sour/spoiled mac salad before. So not good.

• April 9, 2014 at 12:36 am

Pomai, I made it at home with black tea and other spices it turn out pretty good and try not to make too much. Chill in refr. to eat later. I never take out of home due food poision I had with egg salad sandwich lunch. Eat safe at home.

• April 7, 2014 at 8:56 am

Howcum you left out that old standard, egg salad? My mom used to make us chopped up hard boiled eggs, pickle relish and mayo and spread um on bread… soooo ono! Great way to use up those leftover Easter Eggs! I will sometimes slowly add beaten eggs to my ramen while its boiling to add extra flavor, texture and protien. And whaddabout tamagoyaki? Sooo good with green onion inside…mmmmmm

• April 7, 2014 at 9:23 am

My youngest daughter (15) is happy with 2 poached or soft boiled eggs, a peice of toast, and a glass of fresh orange or grapefruit juice… EVERY SINGLE MORNING. And leftover Easter eggs? Let’s not forget the always delicious deviled egg. Yummy!

• April 7, 2014 at 6:42 pm

BigBoyChan,

Check out this fascinating, very scientific approach to the PERFECT SOFT “BOILED” EGG!…

• April 8, 2014 at 5:09 am

Very interesting, and thank you for sharing. I put cold farm fresh eggs in boiling water and start the timer for 5 min. Run under cold water for a few, pop ’em open, and Voila! I think the method in the clip would work quite well for cooking a large number of eggs, as you reduce the water temperature to a much greater degree with more eggs. Interesting info on the energy levels of steam v. water. I also really liked the egg topper that they used.

I’m coming over to your neck of the woods (neck of the sand?) in two weeks and am SOOO excited. Got any good recommendations for Chinese? Want to try some of that Gee Gau and also some Chinese Cake Noodle, maybe with some beef brocolli? Maybe you could start a new thread and see what your readers think? Or that may just open up a big can of worms. ;^)

• April 8, 2014 at 6:14 am

BigBoyChan,

The host of the video also made a good point that the shallow water steaming method makes it less likely the eggs will crack from banging into each other, as they sometimes do submerged in boiling water. Speaking of energy in the steam vs. the boiling water, do you use a pressure cooker? Best cooking device I own, by far! I’m gonna’ look online for that egg topper. I’d eat soft boiled eggs more often if I had one. Nice ‘n neat cracked egg opening.

Regarding recommending Chinese restaurants on Oahu, I’d hit the proven favorites: Panda Express and PF Chang’s. Nah, just kidding. lol

Any other specifics besides Crispy Gau Gee and Cake Noodle? Such as location (do you prefer near Waikiki or any other area?). How about style? Cantonese? Schechuan (spicy)? Dim Sum? Fancy? Casual? Takeout? Don’t matter?

Right off the bat, I must say you gotta’ try the Chinese Style Roast Pork at of all places, Chun Wah Kam. OMG, if I’m eating meat, that’s one I’ll “cheat” to eat! They also have excellent Crispy Gau Gee, and of course they’re known for their Manapua. There’s a new Chun Wah Kam conveniently located near Ala Moana Center. Nice place, and the cooks are all CHINESE. Hey, it matters!

I’d also highly recommend the places featured on this blog, including Wah Kun in MapunaPuna, Little Village Noodle House in Chinatown and Kin Wah Chop Suey in Kaneohe.

BBC, give me more specifics on what you’re looking for, and I’ll start a new post on “Favorite Chinese on Oahu”.

• April 9, 2014 at 6:48 am

I use a pressure cooker/canner all the time. I teach classes for the OSU Extension on canning. Plus, I cook various meats, veggies, etc. in the pressure cooker often. I grew up with a mom who used one a lot.

• April 8, 2014 at 3:10 pm

The eggs on the Alan Wong loco moco are so delicately over easy, they’re almost as good as poached, but I think if he used actual poached eggs, they might slip right off the beef! Speaking of Alan Wong, at an Asian American film festival in the SF Bay Area last month, I saw the “Family Ingredients” episode with Alan Wong and his childhood favorite tamago kake gohan, a raw egg whipped into a bowl of steamed rice.

Also, no mention of chawanmushi? Like velvet!

• April 9, 2014 at 1:54 am

My Grandma called tamago kake gohan “Tamago Meshi”… she added a little shoyu to the egg… reminds me of her every time I make it

• April 8, 2014 at 7:39 pm

22 years here as a BFST cook, 11 years as a chinese food cook,
    Bring the dried aku, poi, ahi poke and roast duck.
    Oregon Ohana getting hungry. (Specialty egg’s benedict)
    You want eggs? No problem!!

• April 9, 2014 at 11:57 am

@ DCOhana – Not only are you folks getting poi, but

hand-pounded fresh

from Kalo root by a 100% Hawaiian from Niihau. Now THAT’s what you call POI!

@ Keith-San and Debbie-Chan – I missed that show on Alan Wong featuring his childhood favorite dish. I’ll try find it online. One Japanese egg dish I was never fond of is Oyaku Donburi. I do LOVE Okinawan Goya Champuru!

@ Kobi-San – Interesting how they show the doneness at various stages. What if you did a soft boiled Balut? “Chick Sashimi”? Eeeeeewwww!

@ BigBoyChan – Ah, IIRC, you mentioned canning and pressure cooking before in the “Smoked” Gravlax post or somewhere else here.

Looking over the Poll at this point, the results are quite interesting, and much different than I expected. I really thought Omelette and Scrambled would be the top two choices by a long shot, but nope, Over Easy and Soft Boiled. Yet, as much as you folks like your runny yolk, Sunny Side Up is relatively far down in 5th place. So you like a runny yolk, but just don’t like looking at it? OK. Or perhaps you like that thin layer of cooked whites over it for extra flavor. Or is it the “surprise” factor? “Here it comes…Yes!” lol

I’m especially surprised Soft Boiled eggs is in second, being it’s one of the most difficult methods to cook an egg properly, as you’ve seen by the videos and links in these comments. Apparently there’s lots of affluent readers here, as Organic and/or Free-range — which are typically much higher priced than mass-produced mainland eggs — garnered more votes than locally farmed and lowest price in the market. Speaking of which, have you noticed how much eggs have gone up in price recently? Uggh!! All the food in the markets are skyrocketing! Damned snowball effect from skyrocketing fuel prices.

Interestingly, nobody so far claims to be allergic to eggs. I thought there would be at least a few out there, especially considering the inherent health hazards of eggs with salmonella poisoning and plaque-inducing amounts of cholesterol.

I also thought there’s be more votes for exotic eggs such as Quail. If you havent’ tried them yet, hit Shirokiya and try the Yakitori style Quail Eggs. Sugoi!

How Do You Like Your Eggs? (multiple choice OK)
    Over Easy 14.1% (43 votes)

Soft Boiled 9.51% (29 votes)

Scrambled 8.85% (27 votes)

Omelette (Omelet) 8.52% (26 votes)

Hard Boiled 7.54% (23 votes)

Sunny Side Up 6.56% (20 votes)

Poached 5.57% (17 votes)

Battered on Meats, Veggies & More (e.g. Meat Jun, French Toast, etc.) 5.25% (16 votes)

Egg-based desserts 5.25% (16 votes)

Organic and/or Free-range 5.25% (16 votes)

Savory “Cakes” (e.g. Quiche, etc.) 4.59% (14 votes)

Egg-based soups 4.59% (14 votes)

Locally farmed (e.g. Ka Lei Eggs, etc.) 4.59% (14 votes)

Lowest price in the market 3.28% (10 votes)

Egg-based condiments, dressings & sauces (e.g. Mayo’, Caesar, Hollandaise, etc.) 2.95% (9 votes)

Egg substitutes (e.g. Egg Beaters®, etc.) 1.31% (4 votes)

“Extreme” (Balut, Century Egg, Raw, etc.) 0.98% (3 votes)

I don’t care for eggs 0.66% (2 votes)

Exotic (e.g. Duck, Quail, Ostrich, etc.) 0.33% (1 votes)

Other (I’ll elaborate in comments) 0% (1 votes)

I’m allergic to eggs 0% (0 votes)

Total votes: 305

• April 18, 2014 at 3:59 pm

So impressed with your blog. Only thing I didn’t notice so far is bi bim bap, a Korean dish that is rice with a little beef, some side vegetables, topped with a fried egg.