My Simple Weakness…

L&L Hawaiian Barbecue Crinkle-Cut Fries. $2.50

It certainly doesn’t get any simpler than this. Serve me a reasonably generous portion of back-to-basics “GBD” crinkle-cut fries, sprinkled liberally with black pepper, along with ketchup for dippin’, and I’m good to go. Wins me over every time. Nothing else… that’s all I need, and can’t resist it!

And when we say “weakness”, meaning somewhat decadent, yet not to the point that you feel guilty after eating it. Well, actually you should because of the nutritional numbers, yet you don’t. Ya’ know?

What’s your “Simple Weakness”? A whole pint of Häagen-Dazs Sorbet in front of the TV after midnight? Same time, popcorn drowned in butter, and/or furikake, and/or mochi crunch? Morning coffee with quadruple cream ‘n  organic agave syrup? Something especially odd, like say, a whole pack of cough drops in one sitting?

15 thoughts on “My Simple Weakness…

• April 2, 2014 at 12:01 am

One Sweet brand mini cherry tomatoes with salt. I eat them like potato chips while watching tv. Also, One Sweet brand mini bell peppers filled with ranch dressing.

• April 2, 2014 at 1:23 am

Love potato chips w/ketup. Apple pie w/melted cheese.

• April 2, 2014 at 2:48 am

I got too many to list. Maybe the best indicator is what I refuse to buy, not because I don’t like them, but because I can’t control myself when I have them. Cookies and kettle cooked potato chips (Maui style) are examples: I can’t just eat one…usually if I open the package, it’s over. Have eaten an entire 10 oz package of nutter butter sandwich cookies in one sitting. The only way to control it is not buy them so I’m not tempted. And I am an apple and cinnamon junkie, too… once ate a whole 9″ apple pie in one afternnon…. and a dozen ‘Napples got no chance to make it home sometimes. Sad, eh?

• April 2, 2014 at 3:34 am

Wow…where do I start? It’s mainly situational. When I am at a youth sporting event, nachos with a lot of fake ass cheese and jalapeno rings. I clean the paper tray with my finger. Not pretty to watch. At home, baked goods; cookies, brownies, pies. etc…. When I go up to Canada I always pick up bags of ketchup flavored potato chips (Thanks Kelike) Trying to be healthy so right now, I am picking up two pound bags of mini peppers and I walk around the house munching on them raw. Hot sauces, must have 30 different kinds in various places of the house and they all have their purpose. Man….I just scratched the surface. When you say weakness, I am more blunt and say these are bad habits. And I have a lot of them.

• April 2, 2014 at 7:28 am

Simply put Werther’s Original Hard Candies. I’m sorry, but y’all better git yer own.!

• April 2, 2014 at 9:42 am

Whenever I go out to eat, my entrée choice off the menu is dependent on the type of potato that comes with it. I have to agree with you on the crinkle cut fries. Those are my favorite and I also do pepper, but I prefer to add a whole bunch of it to my ketchup instead of sprinkling the fries with it. I might be skinny if there were a potato famine.

• April 3, 2014 at 9:01 am

Hi, My name is Keith (Hi, Keith!) I am a french fry junkie. I wish there was a 12-step program for my addiction, but, all I can come up with are twelve kinds of fries (and other potato dishes) that are more of my simple pleasures; (in no particular order…).. 1. KFC potato wedges 2. Five Guys cajun fries, 3. Burger Kings Tater tots 4. Potato Pancakes/Latkes, 5. McDonald’s Hash browns 6. Chick-Fil-A Waffle fries 7. Jack-in-the-Box / Arby’s seasoned curly fries 8. Crispy fried corned beef hash patties 9. Kettle Chips (Maui Style), 10. home fries (wbacon bits and onions) 11. sweet potato fries 12 chili-cheese fries. Other potato items include potato and potato-mac salad, fully loaded salt crusted baked potato and loaded potato skins… I need help…

• April 2, 2014 at 10:45 am

Spam Musubi. I’m an ex-Honolulu resident, vegetarian and hate white rice. But everytime I come back home I crave Spam Musubi, Hawaii’s true gift to the world.

• April 2, 2014 at 11:12 am

Deep Fried Buffalo Chicken Wings; I can’t stop eating them. I even turn the heat up a couple of notches by adding habanero hot sauce. I don’t feel guilty about eating them because I deep fat fry them in my T-fal ActiFry which uses only 1 tablespoon of oil to deep fry things like two lbs. of crispy French fries; 1 tablespoon of oil.

• April 2, 2014 at 2:50 pm

My weakness is “SHIROKIYA FOOD” any and all.

• April 2, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Mmmm… Shirokiya. Must be and Oregon thing, I love it too. It’s a WHOLE LOT of things that I love to eat in Hawaii, that I can’t get in Central Oregon. And the quality is great, the food is as fresh as can be, and the price is good. My biggest problem when I go there is deciding what to have; I wander aimlessly. Same with Marukai Kalihi.

• April 6, 2014 at 9:56 am

Agree whole-heartedly. And I’m in OR as well. Also, a Zippy’s visit is a must for each trip home.

• April 6, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Ann,

Don’t forget to stop by Alicia’s Market. A MUST! You also gotta’ sample the Hawaiian kaukau at the new Highway Inn in Kaka’ako. As good as Hawaiian food gets!

• April 7, 2014 at 11:00 am

@ BigBoyChan, if you’re in the Bend area, you should check out Kona Mix Plate for some local grinds. They are located in Old Mill District, next to imax theater.
    @ Pomai, I am going to my 35th reunion in Sept, and will set a reminder to check out both new highway inn and Alicia’s Market. Yum!

• April 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Been to KMP many times! Grew up in Bend and now live about 20 miles away in Sisters. Super good and authentic. They have saimin, mini plates, two scoops rice… the whole nine yards. And I can enthusiastically vouch for Alicia’s. You won’t be disappointed. I will be going to the new Highway Inn in two weeks! So excited.