2014 Hawaiian Telcom Oahu Telephone Books

New stack of 2014 Hawaiian Telcom White Pages and Yellow Pages Oahu telephone books

When the stack of new 2014 Hawaiian Telcom Oahu White & Yellow Pages telephone books arrived at our office this week, the first thing I thought was, “They’re still in print? How much longer is that going to last?”

(left to right) Front cover of the Hawaiian Telcom Yellow Pages Oahu telephone book 2014 edition and 2013 edition

More and more we’re becoming a “paperless society” with almost everyone having the internet at their fingertips either at work, home, or on their mobile devices. While it’s sad to think of for those who depend on the industry for their jobs, the fact is print is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, as is landline telephones (da’ kine you plug into da’ wall) in homes. And large mobile companies with ever-growing infrastructure (you know who) are very aggressive about taking as much as of what remains of the landline market share left as they can get, including brick and mortar businesses such as our company who still depend on landline service.

To illustrate how quickly the landline telephone listings on Oahu are dwindling, here’s a side-by-side comparison of Hawaiian Telcom Oahu Yellow Pages 2011 edition to the new 2014 edition….

(left to right) Hawaiian Telcom Yellow Pages Oahu telephone book 2014 edition and 2011 edition (2013 edition holding the cover down)

The 2014 Yellow Pages has 907 pages, the 2013 Yellow Pages has 1031 pages, while the 2011 has 1,296 pages. Doing the basic math, over 3 years, that’s a difference of 389 pages less today.

Now let’s have compare the 2011 Hawaiian Telcom Oahu White Pages content to 2014…

(left to right) Hawaiian Telcom White Pages Oahu telephone book 2014 edition and 2011 edition (2013 edition holding the cover down)

The 2014 White Pages has 485 pages, the 2013 White Pages has 581 pages, while the 2011 has 688 pages. Doing the basic math again, over 3 years, that’s a difference of 203 pages less today.

At those rapidly declining rates, in 5 years we’ll probably have to start calling it the “telephone booklet”.  Eventually we’ll get a post card flyer in the mail with a QR code pointing you to HTYellowPages.com. lol

EVERY business phone number I need to look-up is done online first (usually on Yelp), then if I can’t find what I’m looking for there (which is VERY rare), only then will I resort to the yellow pages for category professional services such as auto repair. And even then, I already have my professional services that I regularly use established. I have no need for the white pages whatsoever, both for work and personal referencing. It’s all on my phone.

Speaking of category services, it’s astounding how many attorneys there are in our Yellow Pages, making up the largest single category in the book’s the purple section.

The next largest section of course is restaurants in the pink section, where full-page ads in there can cost a very pretty penny. It is VERY EXPENSIVE to advertise in the Yellow Pages!

If you can’t afford an ad (that I personally tend to gravitate to), your business gets clustered into a long listing with everyone else that quite honestly, a Google query window seems a Godsend compared to going down such small print listings all on one page like that.

2014 Hawaiian Telcom Oahu Yellow Pages restaurant listings (the page is actually canary yellow; the color balance is off in the photo)

Aside of landline vs. wireless, another question today is, what’s going to get more people to your business? Pay thousands of dollars for print ads, or go the cheap to “free” route (depending who’s maintaining it for you) online with a website and social media such as Facebook, twitter and Yelp? It all comes down to demographics, as you know people over say, 70, still depend highly on print for information, while just about everyone in our society under that age gets everything on the web. If your business is say, eyeglasses or healthcare, obviously you’ll still need print. But if a you’re hip new nightclub or surf shop, I highly doubt print would be effective, cost-wise. Online social media is where you want to be seen and focus your manpower. If you know how to “work” social media, you won’t even need to pay for online advertising, as it will go viral on its own.

And ever since the internet arrived, being the younger “foodie” I was back then, I always said EVERY restaurant NEEDS a website or at least an online presence. Your menu MUST BE ONLINE. In fact, I built and maintained the original website for The Shack Hawaii Kai and Waikiki, however the ownership has “shifted” and I no longer do that, and Hawaii Kai’s site is down now. I need to get back to Andy on that.

Not to sound like this a rant on Hawaiian Telcom, as I’ve been a landline customer of theirs for years, and only gave-up the service at home a few years ago because I simply wasn’t using it anymore. Good thing Hawaiian Telcom is diversifying and offering internet and HD television service, which several of my coworkers who live in Ewa Beach (woot!) have switched to from Oceanic not only because it’s slightly cheaper, but their cable channels catch properly and reliably on Hawaiian Telcom, whereas Oceanic’s television service was frequently glitching in their area according to them. Perhaps it’s fixed now, but too late, they’re not going back. Not only that, it’s good that Oceanic has a local competitor (along with Dish), as we all know what happens when there’s a monopoly. Hawaiian Telcom also now offers wireless phone service, which honestly is news to me and good to know! If they can offer me a better deal, I’ll switch to them for the local business support!

Back to printed directories, while I now make very minimal use of the local telephone book, I do still find having a Rolodex near my desk a great way to keep business cards organized and easy to sort through of contacts I reference that are important, albeit contacted infrequently, therefore don’t want stored on my phone.

If I was really cramped for space I’d get rid of it and store the information in my Entourage eMail contacts, but I’m not.

For “old time’s sake”, I shall now thumb through the new Hawaiian Telcom Yellow Pages restaurant section and look for a good place to dine at this weekend. Toodles! ;-)

P.S. If you read the ‘Graying‘ post recently, you know I recently became surprised to find my beard grew out all gray, and that I actually liked it! Weird, right? Anyway, here’s me yesterday with my beard after 5 days of not doing a thing to it…

Except I did trim my mustache short (usually completely off), as I still want to look at least “semi clean-cut”. He he. I’m surprised it didn’t get too scruffy looking… yet. I’m thinking of letting it go one more day longer, than try and dye it blonde. Or maybe I’ll go full-on Duck Hunter/Billy Gibbons look. lol

11 thoughts on “2014 Hawaiian Telcom Oahu Telephone Books

• January 23, 2014 at 1:28 pm

You look like a professor at UH where I work. I hardly use my regular phone at home or my mom. We cell phone alot.and text.

• January 23, 2014 at 4:00 pm

There are anywhere between 75,000 and 87,000 tourists on Oahu at any given day beside our more than 900,000 resident population.

With the number of life threating emergencies (tsunamis, flash floods, hurricanes, water spouts, tornados, wildfires, hail, high surf,; etc.) that occur in Hawaii there is a need to get proper guidance out to these tourist and visitors.

Hawaii in my book is extremely smart and intelligent when it comes to emergency guidance as my old mainland state moved all emergency guidance to their web page and Hawaii still has the first 50 or more pages of the telephone book dedicated to emergency management and civil defense guidance.

What happens when the power goes out??? How are you going to inform people and tourist what to do or where to go???

Telephone books and landlines play a far greater role than just providing a telephone number.

• January 23, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Pomais hair today gone to Maui report! :p
    Ewwwww…..

• January 24, 2014 at 4:09 am

Yeah, but whaddabout dose nosehairs? Gone gray yet? Maybe there’s a manscaper ad in the phone book!

• January 24, 2014 at 5:37 am

I use my home landline for professional contacts(schools , doctors, etc.) My cell is for personal contacts. This way I get to keep my number private.

• January 24, 2014 at 2:17 pm

@ Dean-San – I’m curious what the percentage is of Hawaiian Telcom landline subscribers who keep their numbers unlisted? When I had landline service, my number was always listed, and I rarely had problems with crank calls and canvas callers. I used to get more errant calls on my cell phone due me having a recycled number from a previous carrier customer, however it’s since stopped, and I like my number because it’s easy to remember. My number from my previous carrier was so confusing, sometimes I’d forget my own number! lol

@ Keith-San – I’ll create a Yellow Pages mock cover ad for that. It’ll be hilarious. Stay tuned!

@ Anon – Well, say what you want, but personally I dig it my new look! Beard dreads, here we come! Now THAT’s what would be “eeeewwww”. lol

@ Ken-San – I kept my landline longer than I had regular use for it for that very reason: that it was “always on”. Meaning, it still worked even when the power went out. Which came in handy the day of the “big” earthquake on Oahu in 2006 that left the entire island without power for over 24 hours. My cel was out, however my landline worked!

I really don’t think a phone book is necessary just for emergency information. They can make pamphlets/booklets for that. I mean, it makes sense to be there, but if the phone book does go away, there’s always that. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised such a Hawaii Visitors Oahu Civil Emergency Information pamphlet already exists, however I’ve never seen it in the lobbies of hotels and sidewalks in Waikiki. If not, there should be one!

As far as finding phone numbers of popular businesses (restaurants, professional services, etc.) for tourists, again, the web (Yelp) is their best bet, IMO, which they probably do already on their phones while on the shuttle from the airport to Waikiki. Whenever I go traveling, I don’t seek the local phone book in the hotel room, I’m on Yelp (can tell I’m a fan, huh?).

But yeah, at least for the immediate future, definitely landlines play an important role for businesses, however, I don’t believe so for homes anymore, unless you need that extra security net. Especially now with wireless companies upgrading their infrastructure to be able to run continuously even during power outages using PV and battery backups at each tower.

@ Amy – I’m inspiring to look like “The Most Interesting Man in the World” in those Dos Equis TV commercials. “Sharks have a week named after him” and “His mom has “Son” tatooed on her arm”. lol

• January 24, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Love your Sunglasses as jewelry look? Never know when the paparazzi will arrive! ;)

• January 24, 2014 at 8:48 pm

The reason why your landline telephone still worked when the power went out is because on all landlines there is a carrier voltage on the black and yellow wires to operate the telephone. You talk on the green and red wires.

Also all 911 emergency calls trace directly back on landline telephones but not on cell phones. They ask you to register your location if your household only uses cell phones. Modern technology is getting better at triangulating cell towers to locate cell phone calls for 911 emergencies.

If you have a landline wireless telephone/answering machine with remote wireless telephones you need to get a battery-backup for the main module GHz xmiter/rec so when you lose power you can make telephones calls. Also cable TV telephone and high-speed internet telephone does not work when you lose power because the house router/modem needs backup power.

Get rid of landline telephones and use cell phones or Vonage like telephone services or cable telephone because it is cheaper and saves money but you lose all you emergency communications when there is a massive power outage.

It is cheaper for the Telephone Company and State of HI to print a telephone book with emergency instructions in it than print a massive number of brochures each year for EMA and Civil Defense. The last time I looked there are over 50 pages of emergency information which has been updated with new flood zones and setbacks. People visiting hotels are not going to take the telephone book with them back to their homes out of state.

Anywhere there is a public telephone with a telephone book there are emergency instructions of what to do and where to go to a nearby shelter for safety.

I spend the last 25 years working with the EMA in my state and gaged when they thought it was excellent to put everything on their website. I keep saying to them what happens when the power goes out or the website gets overloaded and locks up?

State of HI has the best idea that I’ve seen on how to disseminate emergency information instructions.

• January 26, 2014 at 10:30 am

Ken-San – Wow, that was some reply! I never thought of 911 calls (thankfully haven’t needed to use the service) and how they would figure out where I’m at in the event I was disabled or in a dire situation to tell the dispatcher. Nor have I seen a PSA on information for people who rely on cell phones to register their cell number with the 911 system. I assume they can locate you from the GPS on your phone. That is, providing your mobile phone has GPS and it’s enabled. I believe older cell phones don’t have GPS. Otherwise, they might just go by what home address the person on the cell account with the carrier it was registered to. Which wouldn’t make sense, as it’s mobile… you could be anywhere.

When I had landline service at home, I kept just one phone on it, which wasn’t wireless and got its power through the phone line. That was my home’s communication safety back-up.

Hawaiian Telcom’s infrastructure is no less vulnerable to outages than HECO, so I don’t know why you think there’s a guarantee that if power goes out, phones won’t as well. A bad storm or other disaster can knock both out, and water too, for that matter.I can just see it as redundant but not guaranteed backup.

You know, this whole subject of public safety and cellphones is very interesting, and something everyone should be educated on. Ken, if you weren’t retired, I’d say you’re hired for the job!

• February 12, 2014 at 12:00 am

We use the phone books to fire up our smokers….Fo’ Reals!!!

• May 11, 2015 at 5:34 pm

I would like to order a white pages phone book  of Oahu, through
    HTEL. Please help.  Aloha me ka pumehana.