Pic Repost: Dry Aku & Poi

K. Azama Dry Aku & super fresh Taro Brand Poi

I was thumbing through The Tasty Island’s archives the other night looking for reviews I could add to Yelp to get my 2014 Elite badge, as apparently Yelp has raised their members review quota for Elite qualification this year. Upon doing so I came across the K. Azama Dry Aku & Poi post and thought, “Dang does that look ono! I sure could go for some Dry Aku & Poi right about now!” I must admit, these are really great shots.

So I’m reposting those photos so that everyone else can (re) DROOL along with me. Yee-haw!!!

K. Azama Dry Aku & super fresh Taro Brand Poi

K. Azama Dry Aku & super fresh Taro Brand Poi

K. Azama Fish Wholesale (in Kaimuki) Dry Aku

Dip ‘dem buggahz in da’ poi!…

K. Azama Dry Aku, super fresh Taro Brand Poi and an ice cold “Bombucha” size Primo Beer. Can life get any better?

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh….

For the full Tasty Island review: Dry Aku & Poi.

Also on Yelp: Azama K Fish Wholesale

Toodles! ;-)

7 thoughts on “Pic Repost: Dry Aku & Poi

• January 20, 2014 at 11:43 am

When the poke prices get too high I always buy dry aku because the price for the dry aku doesn’t fluctuate as much. Dry aku, pickled onion and poi. Winnas. Awesome pictures by the way, making my mouth water.

• January 20, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Hanalei Poi is perfect for pupu.

• January 21, 2014 at 9:25 am

I don’t see myself running out for dry Aku or Poi anytime soon, but thumbs up on all the old Genesis videos you’ve been posting lately.

• January 21, 2014 at 8:12 pm

h-Chan,

(Nicely new honorific nickname for you!), Dry Aku and Poi is most certainly an acquired taste, in every sense of the word, being well? Aku tastes relatively very “fishy” for the newcomer, and poi might come across as “wallpaper paste”.

Aku (Skipjack Tuna fish) has a substantially-thick blood line in the center cut around the bone, and can permeate the flesh of the red meat surrounding it, depending where the fish was caught, size, etc. Aku used to be what was typically used for Sashimi (raw, thinly sliced) and poke (raw, diced in cubes in a sauce and/or seasoning) in Hawaii, however as the Ahi industry grew, Bigeye, Yellowfin and Albacore (Ahi) Tuna became much more popular due it’s “cleaner” flavor and superior tenderness.

Fresh-caught Aku in the local markets today runs around $8/lb., compared to Ahi tuna, which goes for around $13-$15/lbs., on up to $25+/lb. for better grades, depending on the season.

Wild Hawaii Fish

And yes, Genesis (Home by the Sea) rocks! Phil Collins is an AMAZING musician as song writer, drummer and singer, having his roots in the Jazz Fusion band, Brand X.

• January 23, 2014 at 1:38 am

Pomai-San,

Thanks for the tuna backgrounder! Aku does not sound like the fish for me, and dried aku seems like it would just concentrate the not-for-me-ness of it! I’ve had fresh (but not raw) yellow fin, and it was pretty good. I was surprised, as I expected a meatier fish (which I would not have liked). I’ve never tried fresh Ahi, it looks to meaty for me. Of course I have had canned albacore tuna. All-in-all, I’m just not into fish, though sometimes I miss tilapia (and shrimp). Though never enough to actually eat it.

I would try poi, but it’s not something we get in these parts. I think I could deal with the texture, but it’s still a puzzling condiment (or starch) to me, as it seems like it would mask the flavor of food, when condiments usually remove blandness not add a layer of it. But I’m reserving real judgment till I try it.

Phil Collins is awesome, and I love Genesis. I often wonder how their sound would have evolved had Peter Gabriel remained in the band (Peter Gabriel is one of my all-time favorites).

• January 23, 2014 at 6:00 am

h-Chan,

I wish everyone would call me Pomai-San. All my friends from Japan call me that, and I LOVE it! Better than “Uncle”, that’s for sure (see “Going Gray” post). LOL I bet you’d freak out if some clerk in a store called you “Aunty”.

Obviously fish and seafood in general is just as “meaty” as land animal meat is to you, and not your thing. Not for me (and the pescetarians out there). Other than the worry about high mercury levels in certain ones (such as Ahi), fish is one of the healthiest proteins for us.

You’re kinda’ right about Poi, as it does have sort of a masking effect on food, and works well as a palate cleanser, especially for dishes served with it that are very salty, such as Lomi Salmon. That said, Poi is definitely something that’s best eaten with other foods such as salty meats and seafoods, and not by itself unless you’re a totally “hardcore” Poi person.

I never heard any Genesis albums with Peter Gabriel on it, however I’m also a big fan of his as well. My first Genesis album owned was Abacab, which — as commercial as it is/was, the title track is the greatest Genesis song EVER. The instrumental second half is just BRILLIANT. It’s one of those “something for everyone” songs, where you can sing, dance and rock to it!

Listen to Phil Collins rip-up the drums in his early days Jazz Fusion band Brand X here:

• August 12, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Came across this lovely blog/page about dry aku from Azamas! Really glad you enjoyed it. Hope you stop by the store again! :)