1982 Oahu Pay ‘n Save Ads

Waipahu & Waianae Pay ‘n Save ad – June 1982 Country Livin’ magazine Leeward Oahu edition

Ah yes, Pay ‘n Save! If you’re old enough to remember them, chances are you also remember Woolworth, GEM, Cornet, Kress and Wigwam. Old school retailers around Hawaii that had an indelible impression on us folks who grew up with them in our neighborhoods.

Pay ‘n Save was essentially a pharmacy and department store, similar as a competitor to what Walgreens is today to Longs Drugs. Albeit Pay ‘n Save had a little more stuff like shoes and clothes, IIRC. Also IIRC, all the Pay ‘n Save stores in Hawaii turned into Payless. Correct me if I’m wrong on that.

While these ads are for the Leeward side of Oahu (Waipahu & Waianae locations), where I grew up on the Windward side, there was a Pay ‘n Save store in Windward City Shopping Center on the backside in its own building, while there was another one in Kahalu’u in Temple Valley Shopping Center, also in its own stand-alone building, which now houses a movie theater. Pay ‘n Save had a lot more square footage than the average Longs.

That first ad was from a June 1982 publication, while this one was from a May 1982 publication…

Waipahu & Waianae Pay ‘n Save ad – May 1982 Country Livin’ magazine Leeward Oahu edition

Circa 1982 compared today, 2014, now let’s talk prices! First of all, SKIPPY DOG FOOD! That’s what we used to feed our dog back in the day, and that price sounds about what I remember at 25 cents a can. How much is canned dog food today? I don’t know, as we buy dry bagged food (Eukanuba). The dish soaps look about the same as today’s prices, which is strange, otherwise the foil, disposable plates and cups and laundry soap are noticeably cheaper back in 1982; about double the price or more today.

Then there’s the “iPod of the 80’s”, a.k.a. the  “Personal Cassette Player”. God, do I so not miss cassette tapes one single bit! From having to rewind tapes, to tape getting “eaten” by the player, to the eventual drop-outs and treble degradation, GOOD RIDDANCE CASSETTE!

I have to admit though, there’s still a weak spot in me for vinyl LP records. While I don’t have them anymore (used to have BOXES of Rock and Metal 33 LPs), along with a good player, I’d definitely give them a spin every now and then. Can’t beat the warm natural tone of vinyl records, snaps’ ‘n pops ‘n all. Of course the other great thing about 33 LPs being the gorgeous ALBUM COVERS, sleeves with lyrics and sometimes posters included in the double-albums. Miss that!

While we’re on the subject of old school multimedia technology, in the same publication these Pay ‘n Save ads were in, there was also this ad for a TV repair shop…

All-Oahu TV ad – June 1982 Country Livin’ magazine Leeward Oahu edition

When I seen this ad, the first thing that popped into my head was, “there’s no way TV repair shops can survive today with flat screen TVs.” I mean, can it really be practical to repair them, compared to old school tube TVs? I mean REPAIR, not REPLACE parts. Well, I guess so, as one quick search brought up Sams Electronics TV Repair Service in WaipaHOO, who claims to provide repair and warranty service for LCD TV’s, LED TV’s, 3D TV’s, PLASMA TV’s, DLP PROJECTION TV’s, LCD PROJECTION TV’s, DVD RECORDERS from most major brands. OK, I guess so, then.

Anyway, yeah, I thought the mention of Pay ‘n Save spark more old school memories for you folks. Now to find them old ads for Woolworth, GEM, Cornets, Kress and Wigwam!

June 1982 Country Livin’ magazine Leeward Oahu edition

# # #

9 thoughts on “1982 Oahu Pay ‘n Save Ads

• January 18, 2014 at 11:45 am

I didn’t pay $199 for my Sony Walkman back in 1982, but I still paid $119 at UCR TV on Keeaumoku St where the HMSA building is today. I remember thinking how I scored with that price!

• January 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Pomai, You forgot 78 and 45 records. I recorded my collection of LPs and records onto 7 inch reels of tape for playback on my Teac A-4010S 4-track auto-reverse reel to reel tape player.

• January 18, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Old School Tech? How about my beloved La Scala upright bass? lol. Still the best sound in my world. I use it almost every night, and it pays my mortgage. Can’t ask for more than that.

• January 18, 2014 at 5:31 pm

@ Marcus – How would you compare playing the acoustic La Scala to an electric bass? Both sound and playability-wise?

@ Ken – Oops. Corrected the poll. Thanks!

@ Paul – My best friend/neighbor while growing up used to live Japan. His dad was in the US Air Force and would go back and forth to Japan often, and when the Sony Walkman first hit the streets in Tokyo, before it made its way to the U.S., he had one of the first copies in 1979. This was the one that was blue:

His dad paid $200 at the time (1979), which was a premium for such a small “gadget” like that. The original Sony Walkman’s build quality was second-to-none. Absolutely STUNNING!

When I first heard the original Sony Walkman from Japan, I WAS BLOWN AWAY. The sound quality, including the stereo separation, low noise and wide dynamic range was AMAZING. The original Sony Walkman was truly a ground-breaking, historical gadget that shaped the GREAT sound of portable music in small form, to the iPods and smartphones of today.

• January 30, 2014 at 3:57 am

Pomai you are correct that it was blue. It was made of aluminum not plastic. Still have mine with the original headphones. I paid about $200 for them at the time from a store that was located near Diners Keeaumoku where Walmart now sits. It has a button on the side that lowers the volume so that you can hear someone trying to talk to you.

• January 20, 2014 at 7:52 am

those last generation tube TVs take many years to die. And while the picture is less clear, the color is as rich as a plasma.

• January 20, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Sony was on a roll with the walkman back in the day. Sony was on top of their game and then there were a string of miss steps. The betamax, mini disc player, DAT tape player came and went. There was an interesting movie made in Japan about the Sony betamax technology and the VCR (invented by JVC) and how the down fall of the betamax was not sharing the technology with the other electronic companies. The other companies adopted the VCR format and the rest is history. Then came DVD, Blueray and now 3D. What’s next…Just give me a marantz receiver, Dual turntable and Klipsch Heresy or JBL 100’s speakers and let me listen to some vinyl.

• January 20, 2014 at 12:51 pm

A.T.,

Did you ever own or use a DAT player/recorder? I never did hear one, yet was curious how much better it sounded vs. analog cassettes. I remember DAT didn’t last very long on the market.

Remember the Nakamichi “Dragon” cassette tape deck? BIG BUCKS!

I always wished I could afford Nakamichi equipment back then (in my teens). In my 20’s my rack audio components were all Technics (National being the parent company). Speakers were JBLs. Now I use my computer as my audio “system”. Gets the job done and doesn’t take-up extra space. The satellite sub kicks @ss!

My mom’s good friend was a major audio file back in the 80’s, where his turntable was from Germany, featuring a diamond stylus, with a crazy price tag of something like $5,000. He also had the Nakamichi Dragon. He never did convert to CDs, swearing his vinyl on that turntable was far superior to digital, and hearing is believing: it was! He also had Klipsch speakers. AWESOME.

• January 20, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I’ve never owned one but a lot of recording studios would use it to put demos on and I guess it was a digital format rather than analog. I did have a mini disc player but it broke and I did not want to pay to repair it. That fizzled out real fast.

I still have a Nakamichi RX-505 (not sure about the model number) I don’t use it but back in the day it was the coolest thing. The cassette would actually disengage spin around from side A to side B and engage back into the player. One of my friends had the Dragon. I don’t know what model it is but there is a Nakamichi player that has an all gold face that was actually used in one of Paula Abdul’s music videos. Now that was a cool looking player.

There is also a Nakamichi Dragon turntable. I am not sure how much it cost but I know it is big bucks. It gets crazy after awhile tube amplifiers, diamond stylus with cartridges that cost more than the turntable itself, speaker wires that cost more than some speakers.

Back in high school my friend could go to the military PX so he ended up buying stereo equipment for a bunch of us. They had the best audio equipment, the best price and no tax.