Honolulu Hospitality Ads Circa 1950s

Canlis’ Charcoal Broiler ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, February 1958

Specifically, the ads featured here are from two editions of Paradise of the Pacific, with one copy published in June 1952, and the other published in February 1958. Two magazines sitting in a dusty old box I came across as we were cleaning out our office storage room this past week. Of which almost got tossed out, had it not been for my sharp eye noticing the date and content. Whew, good save!

Notice the phone number prefixes in these 1950s ads only have one or two digits. Before my time, that’s for sure!

Trader Vic’s & The Tropics ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, February 1958
Queen’s Surf Waikiki ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Don the Beachcomber & Ishii Garden – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, February 1958
Polynesian Village & Lau Yee Chai – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Wof Fat Chop Sui ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, February 1958
Sky Room at Honolulu Airport ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Ciro’s Downtown Honolulu & The Willows – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Fisherman’s Wharf & Waikiki Tavern – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Maundrell’s at Waikiki ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Waioli Tea Room and Bakery ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Kauai Luau Garden ad – ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Campos Dairy Products Kailua ad ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Honolulu Rapid Transit ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Hawaiian Airlines ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
United Airlines Hawaii ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
United Airlines Hawaii travel service 5th anniversary photo – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Primo Beer ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, February 1958
KPOA Hawaii Radio with Tom Moffatt’s Big 30 Review ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, February 1958
Andrade Specialist for Men Fashion ad – Paradise of the Pacific • Hawaii magazine, June 1952
Paradise of the Pacific Hawaii magazine cover June 1952
Paradise of the Pacific Hawaii magazine cover February 1958

For more reminiscing the good ‘ole days, don’t miss these Tasty Island posts:
Oahu Eateries Memorialized
Oahu Bars & Nightclubs Memorialized
Oahu Eateries 50+ Club

6 thoughts on “Honolulu Hospitality Ads Circa 1950s

• January 17, 2014 at 5:39 am

The good ol’ days…I remember “aloha” when meant something.. Now days in this “me”‘ society, it’s great to be reminded on how it was back then.

• January 17, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I believe Kauai Luau Garden became Menehune Garden, a sort of walk around place for a modest fee. It was next to the Kauai Yacht Club. My grandparents took me to a number of those restaurants and I remember Ciros in particular. Was really fancy. Of course everyone went to the Fisherman’s Wharf and The Willows. Ditto Lau Yee Chai. We were not ritzy enough for Canlis (Niihau Kiawe charcoal, btw).But I had to suffer the indignity (lol) of having to live at The Royal Hawaiian during the sugar strike(ILWU) when my father was part of the negotiating team and my family was flown to Oahu . (It actually was a lot cheaper then).
    You know I may have some old issues of Paradise around the house

• January 18, 2014 at 2:58 am

@ Dean-San – Agreed!

@ pat – Of all of them, The Willows is the only one still standing today; under new ownership, of course. Which like any buffet restaurant, Willows can be a hit or miss, yet mostly I think “hit”. Still a beautiful hidden oasis in the middle of urban Honolulu.

Wow, rough life eh for union guys, “living” at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?

If you find those old issues of Paradise of the Pacific, definitely thumb through for old ads like the ones here. Classics for sure!

Back to Kauai and all this nostalgia stuff, I sure hope the developers can restore Coco Palms back to its glory. :-)

• January 18, 2014 at 7:05 am

I eaten Wo Fat many times in past as a kid family best place to go to. Too bad miss Lai Yee Chai never had a change to try it. Willows nice for lunch there.

• January 22, 2014 at 9:54 am

The only thing I remember about Fisherman’s Wharf was there were always big bambucha kakaroaches crawling in the rock walls out front!

• July 6, 2017 at 8:28 am

I ate with my family at Ishi Gardens back in Jan 1972! It was an expetience I never forgot! Our own tea room to dine, & my first & last bottle of Sake!