Holiday Season Onslaught 2013 is On!

Time again to buy extra toothpaste and throw that “diet” *cough-cough* out the window, as there’s now more snackin’ calories in our office than our country’s GNP. Well, OK, not that many, but you get the idea. Gift basket upon gift basket, amongst many other goodies that put your willpower to the test: “I can resist! I can resist! No I can’t!”

Also during the holiday season onslaught, we usually get box after box of fresh-made local stuff, including hot Manapua & Dim Sum from the “Big Three” (Chun Wah Kam, Libby’s & Char Hung Sut), Sunny Side Pies (Wahiawa) and Nanding’s Spanish Butter Rolls, to name a few.

Chun Wah Kam Baked Sweet Bread Manapua

Chun Wah Kam Pork Hash

Chun Wah Kam Baked Sweet Bread Manapua & Pork Hash

I had such a carbo’ sugar rush just from eating a couple Kona Coffee Chocolate covered Macadamia Nuts and a handful of Cinnamon Peanut Butter Mari Mix, I felt like I needed to run laps up and down our office hallway to wear it off. Next time I pass by the snack table, I must resist!

▲▲▲▲▲▲

The Tasty Island related links:
Christmas Colored Kamaboko
Christmas Ribeye Roast Dinner
The Holiday Season Onslaught is On!

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Holiday Season Onslaught 2013 is On!

• December 19, 2013 at 11:51 am

Usinger’s Sausage is high quality stuff!!! Beef Salami and Beef Summer Sausage!!!

I order from Usinger’s all the time plus I even visited the factory in Milwaukee, WI: http://www.usinger.com/

• December 19, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Ken-San,

Tomorrow I’ll see if everyone in the office is “in” on making a Usanger’s Sausage, Wisconsin Cheese and Crackers Platter out of the stuff shown. I’d really like to try it now that you highly endorse it, “Mr. Sausage King”! ;-)

• December 19, 2013 at 6:19 pm

You got my mouth watering!! Somebody sent you guys Usinger’s Sausage and Wisconsin cheese! Whoever that is they are gold!!! You guys are very lucky!!!

Lucky me I still have some of my Usinger sausage stock in refrigerator from last order.

I order my fresh bratwurst, andouille sausage, knackwurst, weisswurst, beef salami, beef summer sausage, thueringer summer sausage, polish sausage, smoked, certified Angus beef ® frankfurters, landjaeger, beef hickory sticks summer sausage and Wisconsin cheddar cheese from them.

The certified Angus beef ® frankfurters are ¼ lb. ea. These are the frankfurters they supplied to the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics that drove everyone crazy. These are soooooooo ono!!!!!

Usinger’s has a minimum 6 lb. order policy mix and match. They ship on Mondays frozen with ice packs in insulated containers that you can use for beach parties or to keep food warm when bringing pot luck. When I lived on mainland they would ship UPS brown standard ground and I would receive on Thursday still frozen.

Now in Hawaii they ship overnight air which is a big ouch but worth it for the taste. The other thing they do is send 20% off discount certificates to you for the next time you order which you can apply to order or shipping cost which helps.

• December 20, 2013 at 4:27 am

Pomai;

Again, your office food environment is KILLING me! The office lunch events weren’t enough, now you show all this stuffs! Ai-Yah! And that sweet bread manapua… O-M-G!!! When did THAT happen???? Guess I have to go order some Goteborg sausage and some of those other island treats online and try to recreate a little bit of Hawaii out here in Alabama! Mele Kalikimaka, braddah!

• December 20, 2013 at 5:36 am

Keith-San,

I still have that Biscoff and Maebo One-Ton Chips thing to do, however I’ll wait until after the holidays. Way too many other sweets ‘n snacks to take in (and resist) at the moment!

Regarding Goteborg sausage, I just noticed while looking more carefully that the label says DISTRIBUTED BY Hormel, which sounds like just that: they’re distributors, but not the manufacturer; which I’ll presume actually comes from Goteborg.

Times Supermarket is the only supermarket here that stocks Goteborg regularly. Don Quijote & Marukai only brings it in once in a while, while I’ve never seen it ever at Foodland or Safeway. Forget about finding that in Whole Foods! I really think Hormel should sell Goteborg in pre-sliced small packs, like Oscar Meyer and other brands do with Salami and such. How many people are going to eat THAT much Goteborg; each one measures 17″ and weighs over 3 lbs.!

• December 20, 2013 at 5:35 am

Strange as it may sound, I love those cheesy tin cans of Danish Butter cookies. They are only available during Christmas. My favorites are the pretzel shaped ones with the sugar crystals. I also enjoy fruitcake,

• December 20, 2013 at 6:12 am

I love those cookies too!!

• December 20, 2013 at 6:20 am

I won’t say I “love” them (as long as they’re not even remotely stale, they’re great!), however I too especially like the pretzel-shaped Danish Butter Cookies with sugar crystals.

Another common old school nationally-distributed food gift we usually receive during the holidays is the Whitman’s Chocolates Sampler Box. Also the Christmas Popcorn Tin Trio (the one with regular, cheese and toffee popcorn).

• December 21, 2013 at 1:47 am

Pomai, now my cousins saw this entry of food from Hawaii want me to send some for them. The Kona coffee chocolate seem so good and but no sweet bread manapua maybe when I visit them in San Francisco next time.

• December 21, 2013 at 7:01 am

My wife became interested in tinned sardines after reading an article in Yahoo on how popular they are around the world.. So my son and I embarked on an internet project to discover the most highly rated. The A#1 buggah. And surprised her. (There are entire blogs devoted to the hundreds of types of canned sardines.)
    Here the are. We buy cases of them she likes them so much.

Naturally smokes and packed in Sunflower oil. Broke da moiuth.

We gives these as gifts locally. A stack looks beautiful with red ribbon and bow.

Ono with Breton crackers and cream cheese. But some guys still are old school Hawaii and like it with raw round onion.

• December 21, 2013 at 10:26 am

Where to find Hawaiian Style Kona Coffee Chocolate? I could not find address also.

• December 21, 2013 at 3:08 pm

@Amy,

I have purchased chocolate covered Kona coffee beans at the Honolulu Chocolate company in Ward Center and Sheraton Hotel lobby 8oz. for $9.

Also Island Vintage Coffee Company in Ala Moana, Royal Hawaiian Center and Ko Olina Station sells chocolate covered coffee beans but they don’t indicate if it is Kona Coffee beans.

The Donkey Balls Store in Kainaliu on the Big Island has 100% Kona Peaberry espresso beans chocolate covered 4oz. for $6.99.

Big Island Candies in Hilo on the Big Island with a store in Ala Moana has dark chocolate whole Kona coffee beans 7.75oz. for $13.50.

ABC Stores throughout Oahu has Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans by Island Princess 2oz. for $2.99.

Long’s Drugs throughout Oahu has Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans by Island Princess 2.5oz.

Hilo Hattie on Oahu has Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans by Island Princess 2.5oz. for $3.49.