T.G.I.F.!

While that restaurant has bitter sweet memories for me (and believe me, I do remember EVERYTHING), this post is not about TGI Fridays. I’m literally thanking God, or Buddha, or my ancient aliens creators that it’s fah-reekin’ FRIDAY! Whoo hoo! Nam Myoho Renge Kyo! Man, I tell ya’, it was one rough week for me at the office. So many deadlines, so little time. Such is the life when you work in advertising.

With that, I’ll leave you with this set of photos taken on one of my many Saturday excursions at the always INCREDIBLE KCC Farmers Market. Enjoy!

Anthuriums

Green Point Nursery Anthuriums

Frankie’s Nursery – Amla

Frankie’s Nursery – Avocado selections

The farmer’s son: “While you’re at it buyin’ some bananas, check out my cool Hot Wheels collection!”

Beets

Frankie’s Nursery – Mafai (Burmese Grape)

Frankie’s Nursery – Dragon Fruit

A fresh batch of Fried Green Tomatoes while sorting through fresh Hawaii Papaya. Ah yes, life is good!

With all these green onions, I forsee many great fully loaded baked potatoes and saimin bowls in my immediate future. Yes!

Grillin’ up some North Shore Cattle Company burgers and house-made Portuguese Sausage. Coals are lump Kiawe wood.

Frankie’s Nursery – Jakfruit (similar to Durian)

Kahuku Papaya

Kahuku Papaya

Locally Grown, with Diamond Head Crater in the background at the weekly Saturday Morning KCC Farmers Market

Choke local ‘kine mangoes

Mexican Key Limes. Pie? Corona? Margarita?

Frankie’s Nursery – Philippine Coconut

Frankie’s Nursery – ‘Ganesh’ Pomegranate

Rainbow Papaya

Frankie’s Nursery –  ‘Pantin’ Mamey Sapote

Frankie’s Nursery – ‘Bali Salak’ Snake Fruit (a rare Indonesian fruit with a crunchy fruit taste like a sweet pineapple)

Frankie’s Nursery – Soursop

Thai Basil

Tropic Fish‘ farmers market selections

Young Ginger (where’s Young Mary Ann? OK, that was lame. lol)

Soul Patrol by Chef Sean Priester – Chicken, Biscuits, Collard Greens ‘n Gravy

Fried Chicken, Mac ‘n Cheese ‘n Collard Greens by Chef Sean Priester

Shrimp Jambalaya by Chef Sean Priester

The Soul Patrol man himself, Chef Sean Priester, workin’ his magic!

Gumbo by Chef Sean Priester

Vegetarian Chili with the full garnish by Chef Sean Priester

Southern Chicken ‘n Gravy by Chef Sean Priester

Na’ Ono ‘Ono Pancakes, topped with warm Haupia sauce, Kahuku Apple Banana and Berry Compote. $6

T.B.I.F.!

10 thoughts on “T.G.I.F.!

• November 8, 2013 at 12:54 pm

So the Farmer Market in Honolulu is still the best. The one in San Francisco so so.

• November 8, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Kelike,

I’ve been to the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market in San Fran’ (no pun intended), and found it just as impressive as the KCC Farmers Market, albeit different as expected. I was really impressed with the variety of mushrooms and smoked salmon at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. Lots of organic stuff as well.

• November 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm

The fresh fruit and sausages at the SF Ferry market are incredible. The hot food at KCC better though.

• November 8, 2013 at 7:05 pm

The setting of the Ferry Building Farmer’s Market can’t be beat, and we always stand in line for the porchetta sandwiches. On a side note, you got fried green tomatoes at the KCC F/M? Dang, how long did you have to stand in that ridiculous line? It’s arguably the longest line at the F/M!

• November 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Lois,

I agree the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market location is GREAT, being right there on a pier on San Francisco Bay. However, the KCC Farmers Market location is quite pleasant as well, with lots of shade from trees, and a nice view of Koko Head and the ocean to the east.

More so, it’s the MOOD at the KCC Farmers Market, which is really laid back and relaxed, even though it’s so crowded, you can tell everyone’s in “chillin” mode, not in a hurry to get here or there. I go there as much for that as I do for the good deals on farm-to-market produce.

That wasn’t me in that shot with the Fried Green Tomatoes, however I did try it once. Good stuff. That, the Grilled Abalone, Kukui Sausage, Shave Dice (lol!) and the North Shore Tomatoes Margherita Pizza always have the longest lines, especially with Japanese Tourists.

• November 9, 2013 at 2:22 am

OK OK, my wrong. I guess I suffering jet lag and my sisters and mom was so full get up and go everywhere in San Francisco. All I did was had a cup of coffee and sat around while they shopped boy did they shopped. It was also Goat Festival going on that time with goat cheese , ice cream cheese cake etc, samples too. All made of goat milk.

• November 8, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Wow, some of that fruit is so foreign to me, I’m so envious!

• November 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for the lovely pictures, especially that pancake shot ! Nice to know what’s going on without having to go there again.

• November 8, 2013 at 5:11 pm

@ L – I had a feeling that Apple Bananan, Haupia and Berry Compote Pancakes would be a popular one. It sure LOOKS ono! I’m just not a breakfast person that often.

@ h – I really want to try that Snake Fruit, being they say it tastes like a really sweet Pineapple. I’ll buy some next time. Any other of those exotic fruit you want me to try and blog?

@ pat – I dunno, there was some damned good prepared food at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. I had one of the best Bagel Lox I ever had at Ferry Plaza.

• November 9, 2013 at 12:09 am

The only time I at the Ferry Building is to take the ferry to east bay for I love the ride. The food are different for KCC Farmer Market but buy the mushrooms there for special pasta dish I make with their special cheeses. I still can’t call the Ferry Plaza Farmer Market but food center instead compared to KCC one . When I there shopping feel so gourmet and my cousins too love dining there during lunch then take the ferry to east bay to Oakland Jack London Sq.