AroundHawaii.com Food Columnist

I’ve very recently been invited by the web editor to join their team as a contributing food columnist for AroundHawaii.com, the local online community voice of Oceanic Time Warner Cable. Which of course is highly an honor, and to which I oblige, as the demand they ask can easily fit within by otherwise busy schedule.

Reason I’ve been chosen being, the AroundHawaii.com Editor-in-Chief likes the way my articles on this blog are written, having an “informal, relaxed local style”. Where “your personality shows in your writing – being apparent that you truly enjoy talking about the food you write about”. Which of course I do, as you enjoy talking about food, too!

Also noted are “great photographs”, which I really do place an emphasis on, as we all know pictures tell a thousand words, and you’ll quickly make judgement on an article you want to read by the photographs before reading the copy.

All of which they feel makes for interesting reading for their target local audience of nearly one million viewers per month. Wow! Me of course being the marketing nutcase that I am (it’s my day job, by-the-way), plan on increasing that as much as possible.

Where I’m asking you, the readers of this blog what you’d most be interested as a subject for my  articles as contributing food columnist at AroundHawaii.com. How you figgah? What you like stay read, laddat?

They’re open to me “regurgitating” older Tasty Island posts, right down to copy>paste, however, I’m not THAT cheap!

What I have in mind is taking a popular archived article and making it current. For instance, one of the most popular posts on this blog based on hit counts (it’s like through the ROOF) is the “Great Portuguese Sausage Shootout“.

So what I plan on doing with that, is titling the article “Redondo’s vs. Gouvea”. Anyone who’s lived in or visited Hawaii more than a month, let alone decades longer (like probably most readers here) KNOWS exactly what Redondo’s and Gouvea is, being the two most well-known locally-made Portuguese Sausage brands sold in our supermarkets. Yet, the article wouldn’t be specifically about Portuguese Sausage (even though you might wish it was), it would be about CHOICE! Choice, being, how there’s so many brands of any given made in Hawaii product available on the local store shelves nowadays. From chocolate-covered Macadamia nuts, to salad dressings to snack chips, cookies and ice cream. I mean seriously, it’s mind-boggling!

Other subject titles I’d like to do for AroundHawaii.com would be:
Honolulu Loves Japanese Ramen (covering our exploding scene in that regard)
Hawaii Smokes (an article about smoking meats, fish, etc., local style, including of course the annual “Up in Smoke” competition)
Localizing National Brands (a tribute to Mochi stuffed with Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter, and other applications)
The Most Ridiculously Expensive Dishes in Hawaii (which would require the most investigative reporting)
Islander Omiyage 101 (a guide on what to get for your family and friends when visiting each of any neighbor island)

Well, those are just a few of MANY ideas in mind. If you have any suggestions on a Hawaii “foodie” subject you’d like me to cover over at Oceanic Time Warner Cable‘s AroundHawaii.com local voice site, let me know!

30 thoughts on “AroundHawaii.com Food Columnist

• October 12, 2013 at 4:42 am

Cheap yet awesome eats for tourists (this could be an ongoing series)

Exploring the ABC store – eg the foods you can buy from there (this could be an ongoing series as well and could also prevent those deer in the headlights tourists from standing in the aisles staring at everything)

Foods you should take home with you from Hawaii.

I loved that visit to the factory you did for the tofu, more stuff like that could be awesome. :)

A post on the different hospital cafeterias and what is available at them would be excellent – when we visited last time and got stuck at Straub for most of 10 days, I have to tell you I was pleasantly surprised by the great food available there. We even had Thanksgiving dinner there. It would be useful for people to know what is available there ahead of time, eg locals who have family going in for an operation or something.

Vegan, gluten free, paleo foods available at various locations – these are always commonly asked questions

Plus that was a great Costco post you wrote.

Well really I love pretty much everything you write. :) Are you free for a meetup somewhere in Waikiki on Nov 8th? Not sure where yet. :)

• October 12, 2013 at 10:41 am

Kaiser has a pretty good Hawaiian plate.

• October 12, 2013 at 6:07 am

There one thing my cousins from San Francisco like is okazuya foods. Can’t get that on maineland. They love manapuas and laulau very much.

• October 12, 2013 at 7:18 am

I am with Amy. Okazuya. In fact a Chow Fun shoot out.

• October 12, 2013 at 7:40 am

@ pat – when the Honolulu Advertiser (RIP) had me contribute to their Progressive Dining article, I was originally going to make my theme ‘Okazuya’, but didn’t have enough resources at the time, so ended up doing ‘Waikiki Beach’.

@ Amy – I’m trying to keep visitors in mind in choosing the subject of my articles on AboutHawaii.com. In fact, I also try do that here in the way I explain things (being very descriptive), as about 50% of the Tasty Island’s readership are those abroad, from all the way across the globe. I have regular readers as far as Canada, South America, Europe, the middle east and all over asia. Pretty much global.

@ Snoksred – All EXCELLENT suggestions. Mahalo for that! The one I suggested on Omiyage (gift) is about taking foods back from your travels to Hawaii. I always wanted to do that on this blog, but never got around to it. AroundHawaii.com would be a good place to start it.

I’m pretty sure I can meet-up with you around November 8th. I feel bad I never got to meet-up with Ann on her visit, as at the time I was in the middle of my kitchen remodel project, with a crucial deadline to work with. But yeah, keep me updated on your itinerary and we can go get some “grindz” somewhere around here. :-)

• October 12, 2013 at 8:01 am

Um, I just thought of something. I think the title of that article should be ‘Made in Hawaii Mania’, not ‘Redondo’s vs. Gouvea’. Reason being, he noted that they don’t want articles that sound like it’s trying to sell something or some place, but be a true, honest opinion and commentary. If I mention any particular brand, readers may think I’m “in bed” with those companies. Whereas ‘Made in Hawaii Mania’ is more generic and covers all categories, even though I start it with Portuguese Sausage. But I’ll leave it the way it is here, as that’s what came to mind first. Hey, gotta’ give da’ Podagees some time in the spotlight too now! lol

• October 12, 2013 at 8:41 am

Congrats on your new opportunity! What a great honor!!
    (I have nothing to contribute re: topic suggestions, as I seem to be the queen of off-topic around here :-D)

• October 12, 2013 at 8:48 am

h said, “I seem to be the queen of off-topic around here.” LOL! Hey, I think you’re on to something!

What I could do is start the article talking about some local food stuff, then the article slowly drifts and then completely derails into talking about relationship dramas, where the readers will be like, “What the hell is going on here? First we’re talking about shave ice, and now we’re talking about heartbreak?” Yet, the article will be such a smashing hit for the very fact that there’s drama involved. People like drama. Seriously, you should see how many hits the Tanaka Saimin Burger article has at this point. It’s one of the most popular, hit-on posts to date!

h, btw, check out that video I embedded in this post of Joe Satriani performing ‘Time Machine’ live in Paris. AMAZING PERFORMANCE! I swear I can just loop that video over-and-over all day long. ;-) *crossed fingers that song doesn’t remind h of her ex*

• October 12, 2013 at 12:31 pm

That’s pretty funny. I guess everyone loves schadenfreude. Just let me know when you need some hits, I’ll reach into my emotional treasure chest (haha).You’re right, that’s a great performance, love it!!

• October 12, 2013 at 3:19 pm

h, yeah shadenfreude is quite sad actually. It’s what gets all these “reality” TV shows such high ratings. Imagine back during the roman empire, people would come for “entertainment” watching criminals get fed to lions. Horrific! If they had that today, I wouldn’t even watch it on video, let alone live. :-(

I need to look up the rest of that Satriani Paris concert. Great footage!

• October 12, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I agree, it is sad. Reality TV is terrible and exploitative. I’ll leave it at that, otherwise who knows where the off-topic stream will lead :)

• October 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm

h-Chan,

I LOVE our off-topic conversations! ;-)

Speaking of which, I found the entire video for that Joe Satriani concert live in Paris. And it is INCREDIBLE, from start to finish! Check it out here, and don’t press pause, because it only gets better as the concert progresses! Your drama anthem ‘Always with Me, Always with You’ starts at 1:43:55.

• October 12, 2013 at 9:49 am

Where the best places and deal for omiyages is good. There lot now Chinese tourists due to nonstop flights from Beijing now. Even locals like to where to good deal on omiyages to take to maineland also. I try to look for made in Hawaii products.

• October 12, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Kelike,
      OK, you’re the second person to recommend a Hawaii omiyage article. If I do that, I may end up posting it HERE first so I can get some suggestions from my readers here. Such as, I want to know all the best Omiyage grindz from Kauai (pat), Molokai, Maui, Big Isand and Lanai, not leaving any popular item off the list. I know the basics, but surely there’s more!

I wonder what get for bring back as omiyage from Kahoolawe, Chinaman’s Hat and Rabbit Island? Bomb shells? Grass? Rocks? lol I going bring back one pure Kanaka Maole from Niihau. “Here, I have a pure Hawaiian for you. Aloha!” LOL!

• October 12, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Now that leave you with cheap everythings to shop and eat and travel to see. People just like good deal

• October 12, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Aaron,

Between you, Kelike, Erica and Amy, I have such a difficult time deciphering exactly what you’re conveying in the way you write your comments, yet of course appreciated!. All I know is that you’re all Chinese and you’re very, ehem, “budget conscious”. Hey, I’m not Chinese, yet I’m frugal too! “Pake love”, baby! ;-)

• October 12, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Pomai, my late grand uncle use to show Chinese films in Chinatown Like at old American theater and couple other places too. See now pop up events is getting to be a rage. Like food trucks and movie set up very much. Wish it could be on neighbor islands too.

• October 12, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I think articles on food places that you have to make an effort to get to as a tourist or local would be awesome too. We are thinking La Mariana for the 8th because I have heard so much about it, however it is in an out of the way spot. :)

The same goes for food factory outlets, if there are any of those. EG I would love to know exactly what food is available at the Dole plantation (I am planning a post on this once we have been there) and I think some of that might be the kind of thing you can take home.

I also want to mention with the Omiyage article, it could be really useful to know ahead of time so you can plan how to pack it – what the container is made from eg if it is a salad dressing or hot sauce or something in a bottle of some kind – if it is plastic or glass.

Foods available out at Ko Olina could be a popular topic too as a lot of people ask that question on Tripadvisor where I hang out a bit – have you managed to get out to Monkeypod yet? I hear that is fantastic.

And the food truck events which happen like eat the street etc, those always look awesome to me but I timed my trip badly and will miss out.. ;) Cookspace in the Ward Warehouse is always running interesting cooking events, and Dishcrawl run interesting food crawl events.

Farmers markets too! ;)

• October 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Pomai’s version of a food tour in Chinatown, Koreatown, funky Kapahulu / Waikiki. I know there is some guy who is doing a food tour (is it some guy named Matthew?) but something people could print out and use, like we’ll walk to this place for breakfast, and then on to this place to sample the best _____, and then go to this place for a snack, and this place for the best drink, etc. An article on Maui eats too would be good since you are familiar with the place.

• October 12, 2013 at 11:59 pm

L, you’re not related to h, are you? J/K.

Hmmm, a food tour of Chinatown, eh? “Koreatown” here in Honolulu would be the entire corridor of Kapiolani Blvd, including of course, the infamous “Koreamouku Street”. I like your thinking! It has focus!

A tour up and down Kapahulu avenue would DEFINITELY be in order! Totally my bag of tea! Start at the Okinawan Sunrise Cafe, to of course Rainbow Drive Inn, then end somewhere up the street at, say that Karaoke singing nothing but Englebert. I dunno’. LOL

Gosh, don’t get me started on Maui. I LOVE MAUI! I swear I must have lived there in my past life, I have feel such a “connection” with that island every time I visit there.

• October 13, 2013 at 12:28 am

Well Pomai, you may lable Pake as tightwad but not just Pake lot of races also. Pake always think about the rainy days there some money around to use. Anyway I still like you very much and you got best job now. Tourists some do like to spend which is so good unlike my other uncle who sometime travel freeload off of family but that another story.

• October 13, 2013 at 12:38 am

Aaron,

I’m just going off common local stereotype, and how we poke fun at each other, and not being racist at all. Being so “mixed plate” myself, I’m the most non-racist person you could ever know. I hear people label “Podagee” as being stupid even to this day in making jokes, and I’m half-Portuguese. Do I take that personally? No! I laugh at it!

That’s the beauty of living in Hawaii. We all understand each other. So you just go on being the “Pake” tightwad you are, and I’ll continue to poke fun at you, while I’ll continue being the “Podagee” that I am, and you can make fun of me, any way you want. I’ll laugh, I promise!

• October 13, 2013 at 12:53 am

Oh, Aaron (and anyone else interested in this),

BTW, I had a “Podagee” moment just the other day. My friend left her cell phone behind, and my initial reaction was, “OMG! I better call her to tell her she forgot her cell phone!” Now THAT’s a “Podagee Moment”! LOL!!!

Now I’m awaiting h to jump in with her Jewish jokes. (hurry, I need you now more than ever my change-the-subject queen!)

• October 13, 2013 at 2:59 am

Pomai, wish I did not dranks so much coffee can’t sleep now. All my life never can make fun of people race due to my parents raise to respect everybody around me. So you have beat me up to do so. Ha Ha. Oh yeah I did study as a kid kung fu at Lung Gong on Liliha St.

• October 13, 2013 at 6:47 am

Not a subject change, but I thought of you the other day, I had friends over and we ordered food delivery. For 4 dinner rolls, they brought 30 (not exaggeration) little things of butter (the kind wrapped like andes mints). Rather than throw them away, I stuck them in a bag in the freezer, figuring it was a easy way to use a single serving of butter when frying onions or other veg. And very thrifty, too. Guess my Jewish instincts kicked in :-D My relatives would be so proud.

• October 13, 2013 at 7:29 am

h,

Believe me, I’ve seen my own share of guests sitting on my table stuffing dinner rolls in their hand bags. The server brings another piping hot basket, in goes 2 more. And more. And more.

• October 13, 2013 at 7:35 am

See, I could never do that, even if I wanted to (which I wouldn’t, because… well, that’s tacky). I’d be worried about contamination. The rolls would be covered with makeup dust, spilled mints, pennies, and the other assorted gunk that inevitably collects at the bottom of one’s bag. Yuck.

• October 13, 2013 at 7:37 am

Oh, no, they take the dinner cloth as well to keep them nicely wrapped. No, just kidding, but they did wrap them in paper napkins

I should do a post on “cockaroaching” stuff from restaurants. Dishware. Utensils. Dinner Rolls. Buffet food. LOL!

• October 13, 2013 at 7:57 am

When my sister was in college, the tiny college town had a sizzler or some similar all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant. They’d go in a group with huge Tupperware containers, and by the time they left, the place would be totally cleaned out of food. When she would come home to visit, she’d tell stories about doing that, and my mom always said “oh, [h’s sister]!!! That’s STEALING!!!!” My sister never seemed to agree.

• October 13, 2013 at 7:43 pm

h,

If they haven’t already, SNL should do a skit on the “Totally Brazen Buffet Diner”. As already illustrated, imagine the possibilities!