Vietnamese Mango

Locally-grown Vietnamese Mangoes

Summer’s the season for mangoes in Hawaii, where once again our office is getting a steady flow coming in. However this is the first time we’ve seen this here Vietnamese Mango variety, courtesy of Diner C’s sister’s tree growing in the north-central Oahu area. ‘Nam Doc Mai’, perhaps? ‘Pen Sen Mon’? ‘Xoai Tuong’?

Upon first glance, the most noticeable physical attribute of these Vietnamese mangoes are how elongated they are in comparison to other common locally-grown varieties, which are more of an oblong round shape, where you’d almost think this was a squash. Which doesn’t necessarily make them look bigger, just different.

Here they are amongst a bunch of hybrid Pirie-Haden Mangoes from Diner FS’s home backyard in Ewa Beach…

Hybrid Haden-Pirie Mangoes from Ewa Beach and Vietnamese Mangoes from north-central Oahu

Well, let’s peel this here unusual locally-grown Vietnamese Mango and see what it looks like under its skin…

Vietnamese Mango, peeled

Size-wise, these particular ones measured approximately 7″ long x 3.25″ in diameter.

Vietnamese Mango, peeled

Now check out how much juices oozes out of its flesh when you shear a slice off it…

Vietnamese Mango, peeled

Wow! I’m salivating just looking at it! Let’s try it…

Vietnamese Mango slice

And? SWEET! Wow, it’s really sweet! Even the one that was a little on the green side was really sweet. Actually what gave it such a strong impression of being sweet is its noticeable ABSENCE OF ACIDITY. Most Hawaii mangoes I’ve tried had at least some acidity in it, even when fully ripe. However this Vietnamese variety tastes like it pretty much lacks any tartness whatsoever. Think Papaya.

Hawaii Solo Papaya… inbred with Vietnamese Mango?

Even its texture was more like a Papaya, as while this Vietnamese Mango still had those stringy fibers visible throughout its flesh, it was completely soft and tender, where both when you cut into it with a knife and then bite into it, you can’t even tell its there. Just smooth flesh.

As for the seed, while I didn’t get a photo of it, like the outer shape, not surprisingly it was elongated sort of like a banana and really flat.

Fresh, ripe Vietnamese Mango sliced for serving

Getting back to the flavor profile, I really have to say this Vietnamese Mango is a bit “different” than how most common Hawaii Mangoes taste, seemingly almost candy-like because of its sweetness and practically complete absence of acidity. It still tastes like Mango, but not what you’re used to.

Almost as if somewhere along its lineage some Papaya and/or Canteloupe got into its DNA string. I’ve never tried the ones imported from Mexico and South America, so I can’t compare it with those. However compared side-by-side with the hybrid Pirie-Hayden Ewa Beach Mangoes, it’d say, while not quite night and day, at least night and early afternoon in difference, if that makes any sense.

Here they are growing on Diner C’s sister’s tree…

Vietnamese Mango tree growing in north-central Oahu

Vietnamese Mango tree growing in north-central Oahu

Vietnamese Mango tree growing in north-central Oahu

Diner C said her sister got the tree very young in a pot from a nursery in Waimanalo, so there you go, if you want a Vietnamese Mango Tree of your own, call around some local nurseries.

Here’s a  handy chart of the variety of mangoes found around Hawaii….

What variety of mangoes grows in your yard, or that you have access to through neighbors, family, friends or coworkers? Common? Pirie? Haden? Shibata? Other? Also, what unusual, exotic variety of mango have you tried? Vietnamese? Peruvian? Pomai?… nah, just kidding, there’s no mango with my name… at least not yet!

Li Hing Pickle Mango

Shoyu Mango

The Tasty Island related links:
Li Hing Pickle Mango
Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Mango
Li Hing Everything
Mango Bruschetta
Mayo’ Mango Madness
There’s Pickled, Then There’s Shoyu Mango

P.S. Once again, this relevantly inspired dessert…

Mango Cheesecake Square, made fresh by Diner LN

In case you’re gonna’ ask, the Mango Cheesecake Square is made with a basic cheesecake recipe (no flavoring except sugar in the cheesecake) on a shortbread type of crust, topped with fresh chunks of mango that’s gelatinized with Fruit Pectin. Delish’!

12 thoughts on “Vietnamese Mango

• August 2, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Pomai, it look like a good kind of mango but I don’t think there much meat in it still. I rather buy some to try instead of growing a tree HaHa right now. There a fruit called Rose Apple back in Taiwan also know as mountain apple here but bigger size. I would love to grow a tree if I have the space my our yard for it.

• August 3, 2013 at 4:28 am

Must be a guy thing green mango and soy sauce for I rather eat it ripe and sweet. My dad and brother like that way. None of my girls friends like it with soy sauce too.

• August 3, 2013 at 7:36 am

Amy,

OK, to be fair, we’ll have to do some dark chocolate covered mango for you ladies. Something I actually haven’t tried yet! Hmmmm….. We’ll name them “Mood Mangoes”. ;-)

• August 3, 2013 at 8:05 am

Yummy, love chocolate and covered mango. Where do I get them? Now you done it I make Aaron go out get some for me. He another one like green mango with soy sauce which not my thing also.

• August 3, 2013 at 8:35 am

Chocolate Dip Company
    150 Hamakua Dr. Kailua
    Kailua Mini Storage They make chocolate dip mango and other things.
    808 391- 1319

• August 4, 2013 at 1:51 am

On Philipine Airline they serve chocolate dip mango and it dried type but mighty good still. I will check that dip company for some too. Now want some mango smoothie after seeing mango in your web.

• August 4, 2013 at 7:54 am

I don’t really care for that dried mango product from P.I. (the one in the green package from Costco). It doesn’t taste like mango. More like an indescribable fruit. I’m gonna’ chocolate-dip FRESH ripe mango straight from the tree, baby! :yes:

• August 4, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Right about the dried mango taste like something else but not mango. Made into smoothies still taste not strong enough for me. Make mine at home better. :-P

• February 9, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Do you know if we grow the kind of mango that is grown and eaten all over the Philippines?? It is also kinda elongated…it’s really tasty…even when it’s green…it’s eaten with bagoong when it’s green…SO ONO!!

• February 10, 2014 at 6:25 am

Sharon,

According to one website I found, the most common Philippine Mango is called Carabao, or as the Filipinos call it, “Manggang Kalabaw”, which is indeed listed as a Mango grown here in Hawaii according to that Hawaiian Mango chart posted above.

When mango season comes around in Summer, try check the Fiesta Market (near the old Arakawa’s) or Pacific Market (next to Jollibee) in WaipaHOO for the Carabao Mango. If you can’t find it in the market, perhaps put up a Craigslist want ad titled, “Desperately Seeking Fresh Filipino Carabao Mango! ~ Sincerely, Pickled”. lol

• May 4, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Hello Pomai,

My family is pure Vietnamese from Vietnam and would like to grow a Vietnamese mango tree.  We would like to know if you can give us any contact information on anyone that has a Vietnamese mango tree because we would like to buy some mangoes and grow them.  I think its always best to get the fruit from someone that actually grows it.

My dad bought a fruit from China town but the seed does not grow probably because the fruit needs to be ripe to grow.  Or let me know any nurseries that may have it (I will be calling around Waimanalo also).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I was also wondering if the Vietnamese mango you are talking about is the same mango variety called “carabao” in the Phillipines because sometimes a mango variety may be called by different names in different areas.  Much Mahalo.

-Duke