Hand-feeding Godzilla on Waikiki Beach

“Here, Godzi, Godzi, Godzi… come on boy, look what we got for ya’!”

We were “playing tourists”, chillin’ on Waikiki Beach near the Hilton Hawaiian Village this past week, when who would show up? Godzilla! Yup, after years in suboceanic radioactive hibernation from his last infamous appearance in New York, Godzilla showed up again, this time in Hawaii! And he looked great!

Ironically, I had just stopped by Shirokiya in Ala Moana minutes earlier to get myself a nice 6-piece set of Ebi Ten Musubi from Nagoya Jiraiya in the Yataimura food court and beer garden.

Nagoya Jiraiya, a limited time only shop at Yataimura Food Court and Beer Garden in Shirokiya at Ala Moana Center

And surely Godzilla would be absolutely starving after that long trek across the Pacific, so I decided, why not? I’ll share some of my Ebi Ten Musubi with him!

6-piece Ebi Ten Musubi set from Jiraiya (in traditional Japanese style, neatly gift-wrapped!)

Of course being the shy guy he is, Godzilla kept his distance out in the water for some time, just staring at everyone on the beach, wondering which Hotel he should destroy first. In fact, that’s exactly what my ploy was. I was hoping some good grindz would calm him down, make him happy and he’d spare Waikiki, moving on to bigger and badder cities “across the pond”.

“Hmmm, which Waikiki hotel shall I “visit” first? Hilton Hawaiian? Halekulani? Sheraton? Royal Hawaiian? Outrigger? Hyatt?” ~ #Godzilla

So I attempted to get his attention and call him over, screaming at the top of my lungs, “GODZILLA-CHAN! TABEMASU! GODZILLA-CHAN! TABEMASU! GODZILLA-CHAN! TABEMASU! KORE NO OMUSUBI OISHII-YO!”

“You call me Godzilla-chan one more time, and you’re fire-breathing TOAST!” ~ #Godzilla

I don’t know what I said, but he looked like I really pissed him off. The “Big G” immediately waded through the  numerous surfers, paddle boarders, fisherman and Japanese women lounging on inflatables in the sun tan oil slicked Waikiki surf, stopping abruptly at the shoreline where I had been standing, and said to me, “Yo’ man, first of all how old are you?” Not frightened at all of him, I casually replied, “Um, how old do you think I look?” While saying that, I thought to myself, “Since when did Godzilla talk human? And in English no less!”

6-piece Ebi Ten Musubi set from Jiraiya, wrapped in natural bamboo husk

Godzilla shook his head grievously then shot back, “Look son, while in Japanese film I date back to 1955, I’m actually 10 years older than that, a byproduct of nuclear radiation, so in total I’m over 68 now, and I’m feeling every bit of it. Radiation is tough on the hip joints, I tell ya’. Which means I’m your elder, so you call me Godzilla-SAN! Not chan. Not kun. GODZILLA-SAN! Got it?” I replied somewhat playfully, “Yeah, whatever, dude… I mean SAN! SAN!” He then belted out his famous Godzilla growl, or scream, or belch, or whatever it is you call his signature “radiated lizard rebel yell”. ERRRRRRRRRR-ONNNNNNNGGGGGUHHHHHH.

“I swear I was “staying” at the Grand Wailea on Maui just a few days ago.” ~ #Godzilla

“So what do you have for me Pomai-kun?” Oh, OK, so Godzilla’s going to call me a little boy now. Gee, thanks. Thanks a lot. “I’ve got a 6-piece Ebi Ten Musubi set from Jiraiya, a new for a limited time only musubi shop in Shirokiya’s amazing Yataimura Food Court and Beer Garden! Check it out!…”

6-piece Ebi Ten Musubi set from Jiraiya in Shirokiya Yataimura Food Court at Ala Moana Center

Godzilla then asked, “Food Court & Beer Garden? I see food, so where’s the beer?” with this really puzzled look on his face….

“This isn’t that dream Hawaiian vacation I had booked on Priceline.com. Seriously a Star Trek conspiracy.” ~ #Godzilla

I was like, “Um, um, there’s tons of bars right here along Waikiki beach! Let’s hit Duke’s Waikiki, my treat!” He nodded with approval, then asked, “Is there Ume in the Ebi Ten Musubi?” Again with that sneering T-Rex on steroids look…

“I could go for a SPAM Musubi right about now.” ~ #Godzilla

I replied, “Um, negative, chief. No Ume in these Musubi.” Oh man, was he getting even more pissed. He then inquired in an even louder tone, “WHAT THE #&$% IS EBI?” I was like, “What do you mean, what is Ebi? You’re Japanese! You should know that’s shrimp!” Good Lord, Godzilla was STEAMING MAD now, firing back, “I AM NOT JAPANESE! I’m a radioactive sea lizard! And a very angry, very large and very powerful one at that, who can DESTROY this whole island quicker than you can say “Masa’s Your Uncle!”

6-piece Ebi Ten Musubi set from Jiraiya, a.k.a. “Zilla Znacks”… or is it?!

Big G continued his rant, “All the so-called “ono kine grindz in Hawaii” you always blog about (because, you know, Godzilla has a smartphone, too), and you offer me shrimp? Don’t you think I’m absolutely SICK AND TIRED of SHRIMP! That’s all my folks fed me growing up, and I don’t wanna’ see another shrimp ever again as along as I live! Why do you think I walk through the ocean, and not swim in it? Because I don’t wanna’ even LOOK at all that damned shrimp crawling on the reefs and sea floor! NO SHRIMP! My Zilla God, don’t you humans ever get it!!!…”

“My Zilla God, don’t you humans ever get it?” ~ #Godzilla on his aversion to eating shrimp

I calmly replied “OK, OK, I get it. No shrimp for Godzilla. Well then let me try it”…

“Oishii-yo! Supah ono! You gotta’ try it, Godzilla-chan! Err, I mean San! Godzilla-san! Seriously, the top-shelf imported Japanese gohan (rice) is cooked to perfection! The golden-fried battered shrimp is also top quality, being very flavorful, sweet and tender, while the salty and savory Menma Tsukemono brings it all together for that final “POW” factor! Sugoi!”.

Godzilla then increased his frown at me, his temper now beyond salvation over the whole shrimp thing, plus no ume in it, plus no beer, then ripped out another of his screeching loud “Radiated Lizard Rebel Yell” things.. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOHHGUH.. and that was it.

Authorities then immediately declared over bull horns, “Everyone on Waikiki Beach, evacuate now! Evacuate!”….

“Waikiki, I said NO SHRIMPS!”
~ #Godzilla

Upon being utterly disappointed by the accommodations of his Hawaii travel destination, It took less than 30 minutes, and part of Waikiki beach on the Ewa end was left a complete disaster zone, courtesy of Godzilla…

For more information and video coverage about the recent destruction of Waikiki Beach by Godzilla, please visit the following links (which the movie set photos above are courtesy of):

‘Godzilla’ the movie takes over Waikiki – KHON2.com
Waikiki gets a monster makeover from ‘Godzilla’ shoot – KITV.com
‘Godzilla’ steps on Waikiki Beach – StarAdvertiser.com
Godzilla “Attacks” Waikiki – HawaiiNewsNow.com
Godzilla 2014 Invades Waikiki Beach – Godzilla2014.Blogspot.com

Waikiki Beach in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. 7.13.13. Photo by Pomai

Waikiki has since been restored to its majestic beauty. Just remember, NEVER offer Godzilla shrimp!

GODZILLA
by Blue Oyster Cult
(lyrics modified by Pomai for an Oahu invasion)

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He stomps right over the Koolau’s

Helpless people on The Bus
Scream out loud as he looks in on them

He picks up The Bus up and he throws it back down
Crushing Bishop Street, then Chinatown

Oh no, Waimanalo
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh gee, Kalihi
Go go Godzilla, yeah

Oh no, Kaka’ako
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh gee, Waikiki
Go go Godzilla, yeah

Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Godzilla ga Koreamoku hoomen e mukatte imasu!
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai!

Oh no, Kaka’ako
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh gee, Waikiki
Go go Godzilla, yeah

History shows again and again
How nature points out the Hawaiian Islands
Godzilla! (4x)

P.S. I offered Godzilla a slice of this here Mango Cheesecake Square for dessert, but he wasn’t havin’ none of it. Good! More for me!…

Mango Cheesecake Square, made fresh by Diner LN

In case you’re gonna’ ask, the Mango Cheesecake Square is made with a basic cheesecake recipe (no flavoring except sugar in the cheesecake) on a shortbread type of crust, topped with fresh chunks of mango that’s gelatinized with Fruit Pectin. Delish’!

19 thoughts on “Hand-feeding Godzilla on Waikiki Beach

• July 13, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Pomai, have 5-0 booked em. No Visa or Passport entering the island.

• July 13, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Amy,

This past Friday, there was a production shoot for ‘Hawaii Five-O’ near the Kamehameha statue in the Capitol Square area near downtown Honolulu at their imaginary “headquarters”. Apparently SWAT was part of the scene, as their van was clearly in view with blue lights blazing, along with a bunch of mock HPD squad cars.

I missed most of the sets filmed here for ‘Battleship’, as well as the destruction scene on Waikiki beach for ‘Godzilla’. Hopefully I’ll be able to capture photos of upcoming sets shot here on Oahu for ‘Godzilla’, scheduled to be released in May 2014. I’m kinda’ “otaku” about this stuff, getting all hyped about it!

• July 14, 2013 at 2:13 am

Pomai, neat entry. Too bad no giant robots to fight with. Like Amy wrote cannot enter without passport or visa for it U.S.. I with try new food at Shirokiya look good.

• July 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

Aaron,

While I’m not big on Kaiju (Japanese for strange giant creatures; no pun intended), there was some lively discussion on some websites about who fans wanted to see Godzilla fight in the 2014 film. I’ve always been a fan of King Ghidorah, the 3-headed alien flying golden dragon monster, mainly because I built and painted a really nice model of it when I was a young boy, and had that displayed in my bedroom for the longest time. My friends who came over always admired it.

Now I’m gonna’ go hang out at Jelly’s and have intense discussions and debates with “like-minded individuals” on who we think Godzilla should fight in the new film.

As you suggested, I’m going Takara Tomy/Hasbro vs. Toho/Warner Bros.: Megatron vs. Godzilla. Or should it be an Autobot? Gosh, I’m so confused now! LOL!!!

• July 14, 2013 at 9:23 am

Looks good but I think I would need more than one to get full.

• July 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

kobi,

Each of the six Ebi Ten Musubi are about as big as a golf ball, where the whole 6-piece set is more than perfect quantity for the average adult, unless you eat like a sumo wrestler. That’s what I love about Japanese food and presentation. They make things in reasonable bite-size portions. If this were a typical American fast food franchise’ take on Musubi, each one would be the size of a softball. Ridiculous. Just like burgers, where the the philosophy is always why make it one stack, when we can make it 4 stacks high? I want to be able actually bite THROUGH the whole sandwich, not have to use a fork and knife to eat it. Ya’ know?

These golf ball sized musubi are perfect to fit in the mouth, where you can actually taste everything – including the rice, nori, ebi ten and tsukemono – in one fell swoop, and be done with each one in 2 or 3 bites. Love that!

Honestly, after just 3 of these Ebi Ten Musubi, I was already filled up, and had to wait to finish the other 3. Then again, I always get full quickly on rice, which is why I don’t eat any of it at nice buffet restaurants. No starch, head straight for the sashimi, poke and crab legs!

• July 14, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I guess you just get big hands or its an optical illusion. Looks like you should be a “hand model” ala George Costanza. But that does look like the perfect beach food.

• July 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm

kobi,

A simple ume and nori musubi has always been my favorite beach food. That, and some boiled peanuts, and I’m good. That’s why I threw in the whole Godzilla rant on the musubi not having ume. It’s that salty-tangy ume that for some reason goes so well not just with the white rice, but also with the negative ions (the feel-good molecules in the air) from the ocean.

• July 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Apparently I am as gullible as I am unable to recognize a photoshop job. I thought the first pic was for real. In my defense, I had just finished reading about Colin Firth rising out of the Serpentine in Hyde Park (London).

cute post.

• July 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

h,

Long time no hear! Well these are as crude as Photoshop gets, but I did that purposely, as that’s what gave the old Godzilla films its romance.. the crudeness! You should watch that Godzilla music video I included at the end of this post… HILARIOUS!

To clarify, that is me standing there on the very same spot on Waikiki beach where they had been filming just a day earlier. I’m so bummed I missed getting my own photos of the set, but oh well, gotta’ work. I tell you, when they say they’re done filming, they mean it. As soon as the last camera rolls, EVERYTHING gets removed ASAP. By the time I got there on Friday afternoon after work, everything from the destruction scene set was GONE. It was back to plain old Waikiki Beach.

You must see quite a lot of hollywood film sets in the DC area. I heard White House Down is pretty good. Lots of action. Me, I’m not really a movie buff. Like I confessed before, I have ADD and OCD. I’ll be enjoying the movie so much, that I’ll walk away from it halfway through. LOL!!!

• July 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I agree about the crudeness being the charm of the old films. I watched the video. That song will remain in my head for a week, at least!

That’s too bad you didn’t get your own pictures! I don’t see many film sets in DC, I try to avoid the extra touristy/monument areas, at least in the daytime. I did get used to seeing them when I lived in Miami.

You and I would make good movie buddies. OCD and ADD prevents me from being a movie buff, as well. I honestly can’t remember the last movie I saw in the theaters (and at home I like documentaries and old stand-bys that I’ve seen 100s of times). Oh wait, I took my mother to see the cirque du soliel 3d movie this winter. It was only 90 minutes, but probably 60 minutes too long for my attention span (to be fair, it wasn’t that captivating to begin with).

• July 15, 2013 at 5:56 am

h,

Regarding missing photo ops of the Godzilla set, tell me about it. I just got my new Canon PowerShot S100, which is taking some BEAUTIFUL photos. I think a big improvement over the already great S95 I had (which I got stiffed out of a warranty repair by BEST BUY, and I’m still not done with that beef). Best thing, the S100 now takes full 1080p HD video, with auto focus and zoom. So I’m now well equipped to shoot that ‘Sweatin’ to the Oldies’ Richard Simmons vid’. I may have to make that one “Pay-Per-View”. lol

Up in Vegas a couple years ago, I seen the live performance Cirque Du Soliel ‘Viva Las Elvis’ show in the new Aria Resort & Casino, and left the theater VERY impressed! I’ve never been an Elvis fan (sorry), so went in hesitantly. Yet wow, they took the ball and ran with it! Jailhouse Rock, ROCKED! They made all Elvis’ songs rock! Very, very captivating and entertaining! Certainly not just another cheesy Elvis impersonation show. If Viva Las Elvis is still running and you plan on hitting Vegas, I highly recommend that show.

• July 15, 2013 at 9:51 am

No fairsies on making the Richard Simmons vid Pay-Per-View!! :cry:

I’ve seen Cirque’s La Nouba, which is their permanent show at Disney World, and was blown away. I’ve also seen Alegria and Varekai, two touring shows, both good (Alegria was a little better). This movie that was out over the winter sort of weaved a narrative between the worlds in some of their shows, O, Ka, Zumanity, Love and Viva Elvis were featured. Maybe some others, I’m not sure. The movie itself, though, somehow made the action in their shows seems sort of drab, I can’t explain it. (oh, here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirque_du_Soleil:_Worlds_Away).

I’m not an Elvis fan either, I would have been hesitant to see the show. I like the magical worlds that Cirque shows usually transport viewers to, I’m not sure I can really imagine how that blends with Elvis. But I’ll take your word for it! When I’m in Vegas, I’m a sucker for the Blue Man Group. After all these years, their shows still entertain me!!

• July 17, 2013 at 1:34 am

h,

“No fairsies”? I actually had to think for a second or so about your first sentence in the context it was used. lol

I should have looked up ‘Viva Las Elvis’ before recommending it, as come to find out, the show at the Aria ended in August 2012, replaced in the same hotel theater with Cirque du Soliel Zirkana…

The Blue Man Group recently performed here in Honolulu this past June…

Speaking of crude Photoshopping, here’s yours truly, now a “crude” member of the Blue Man Group!…

Gotta’ say, that is HILARIOUS! Not sure if I look like a member of the Blue Man Group, or a Smurf. LOL!!! Just add blue body paint, a black turtleneck shirt and some PVC pipe (with elbows) for props, and it’s a Halloween costume!

• July 18, 2013 at 7:27 am

You’d make an AWESOME Blue Man! I say go for it, perfect Halloween costume!

• July 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

h,

Not sure if they’ve done it already, but it would be cool if the Blue Man Group did an act where they change the colors around. Like ‘Blue Man vs. Red Man Group’, where they battle each other on stage with their pipe instruments. Or you name it. Green Man Group. Mauve Man Group? lol

Or, ooh! I just thought of something! ‘Pink Women Group’! In support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Remember, you heard it right here first! It’s perfect too, as part of the ritual for BCA is where some women shave their head as a show of sacrifice for the cause. They should so do this! I bet it could raise million$$$ for the cause!

Here’s a little more extensive Photoshopping, where I’ve mocked up how a poster might look for the ‘Pink Women Group’…

Pink Women Group
      ‘Pink Women Group’ conceptual rendering by Pomai

• July 20, 2013 at 7:11 pm

The various colors vs the blue men, and the “pink woman group” are both fantastic ideas!! Both would be great shows, and the latter would do much good via fundraising. I’ve never shaved my head for BCA, but I spent a long time growing my hair out to donate. In fact, I just did it 2 weeks ago. Wigs For Kids got many, many, many inches to work with. I’ve been saying for the past year that I was finally ready with enough hair to donate, but you know how it goes, life gets in the way. Finally, my hair reached pasted my waist when (what was left of) my curls were pulled, and I said “enough already!!!” got it cut to my shoulders and made my donation. Such a great feeling!

• July 20, 2013 at 8:03 pm

h,

Glad you like the ideas. I’ll forward the ‘Pink Women Group’ concept banner to the National Breast Cancer Foundation and see what they think. Who knows? It may happen!

Wow, hair down past your waist, now up to your shoulders? That must feel invigorating!

Personally I love being shaved bald. So cool (temperature-wise), easy to maintain, and comfortable to sleep. I notice more women are attracted to me being bald now, then when I was young with a full head of hair. I dunno’, perhaps one of them M/F opposites attract things involving testosterone. I’ll just thank the likes of Vin Deisil, Bruce Willis and Kojak, and not let that get far too past my head, no pun intended. Ha!

• July 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Send the pink banner for sure. Who knows, you might start a revolution!

Shoulder length is the preferred length for my hair. It curls perfectly and it’s an easy length to straighten. Long hair doesn’t really suit me, in my opinion.

I’m sure a shaved head is cool, temperature-wise and easy to maintain, though if I shaved my head (disclaimer – a bald look would NOT suit me), I’d probably end up with razor cuts and stuff. The bald look does seem really popular for men. It does suit you (but I can’t comment on you w hair vs w/o). Lots of my female friends are really into that look. Most of the guys I know who have shaved heads are triathletes and ironmen, so I think it must be easy to keep up (maybe aerodynamically efficient, I don’t know. I’ve never asked).