Honey’s Place in Kaneohe

Honey’s Place at the corner of Kamehameha Highway and Lilipuna Road, in front of Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center. The original home of Honey Ho, and son Don Ho. Circa 1960’s to early 1970’s.

Upon joining the Facebook group “You know you’re from Kaneohe if…“, thanks to a lead by reader Ann, soon after asking the members if anyone remembered Honey’s Place in Kaneohe, I got a response from FB member George West, who had found a couple vintage photos of Honey’s that he shared. Well I’ll be darned. I swear, I searched high and low for years online for that photo, and finally, BOOM! There it is!  Mahalo George for the find!

Honey’s Place was the home and business of Honey Ho, late mother of the also late and great, world famous Don Ho, and also where Don Ho had his first gigs. It was known to be a regular hangout for Hawaiian entertainers in their heyday from the era, including Aunty Genoa Keawe and Gabby Pahinui, to name a few.

Don Ho with his mother, Honey, and wife, Melva, in 1980. Melva and Don Ho had six children together. Honolulu Advertiser library photo, July 20, 1980.

My parents bought a home in nearby Alii Shores in its early stage of development in the late 60’s, which was around the tail end of the era of Honey’s. Yet even at the very young age I was at the time growing up there, I do vaguely remember Honey’s! Being just a toddler at the time, all I remember was a brightly-lit “Honey’s” blue neon sign, as depicted. And that’s about it.

Anyhow, this was way, WAY before Windward Mall was built. Honey’s was then razed, and a brand new building was built to become Farrell’s (yes, Farrell’s). After Farrell’s, it became Smitty’s, which was a 24-hour coffee shop diner. After Smitty’s, it became Times Coffee Shop. then after that, IIRC, a credit union. Currently it’s Central Pacific Bank.

Central Pacific Bank in Kaneohe, circa 2013, at the corner of Kamehameha Highway and Lilipuna Road, in front of Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center, next to Alii Shores (Pomai’s home town). Originally Honey’s Place, then Farrell”s, then Smitty’s.  Photo courtesy of Google Street View.

Do you remember Honey’s Place in Kaneohe? Ever been there? Are there any facts about Honey’s you can confirm? Did you know Honey Ho or Don Ho?

P.S. Here I am yesterday at the beach, stabilized at 168 pounds, down from 207 pounds in May 2012  (and yes, I always wear the same old faded jeans shorts lol)…

Pomai at Diamond Head Beach, weighing in at 168 pounds (5’9″ frame) on 6.09.13.

I could use some ripping up, but kinda’ lazy with the weight training routine. Running and swimming, ’nuff. While I still want to get under 160, I’m happy where I’m currently at. The Japanese green tea seems to be working in keeping my aging metabolism in check. Not too bad for a mid-40’s guy. I FEEL great. That’s the main thing!

36 thoughts on “Honey’s Place in Kaneohe

• June 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I remember Honey’s, but never went inside, since I was just a young’un. I’m pretty sure my parents went there once in a while. But I always saw it on my way to church (St. Ann’s) and used to check to see if Don Ho was outside, lol. I think by the time I was going to King Intermediate, it had already become Farrell’s…a few times my friends and I would meet there for ice cream or floats…or to fake someone’s b-day so we could get all the fanfare. :evilgrin:

Oh almost forgot…behind that (Farrell’s) was I think Central Pacific Bank that had a big cage with some monkeys, and in the strip mall part, was Perry Boy Smorgy (or something like that) which was great! Oh, and across the street from Honey’s/Farrell’s was just a big open field IIRC.

• June 9, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Ann,

No, that wasn’t Central Pacific Bank. It was First Federal Savings & Loan that had the monkey cage. I remember that! I also remember right in front of the monkey cage, there was a fountain pool with lots of pennies in it from people making a wish. I threw my share of pennies in there as a young boy. The area in the parking lot of KBSC where First Federal Savings & Loan was, is now a separate “sub strip mall” with tenants including Sumo Ramen, and I think Panda Express and a Vietnamese restaurant. Something like that.

The strip mall is Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center. Some old businesses in there you may remember was Hauole’s clothing store and a toy store IIRC was called Toy World, or Play World, or Play Land, or something like that. That was where all us Alii Shores kids bought Icee and Nibb Its. Remember Nibb Its?! I also remember Perry Boy Smorgy’s. We used to totally raid the soft serve ice cream there!

I understand a Teddy’s Bigger Burgers recently opened in KBSC. Also, in case you’re not aware, the location where Star Market was in KBSC is currently a Walgreens, while next to it where Star Garden was, is Petco. Anchor tenants Safeway and Longs Drugs are still there, while Safeway of course is now completely renovated with their Whole Paycheck copycat look.

You also gotta’ remember Shakey’s Pizza, right up the street on the makai corner of Kam Hwy and Kahuhipa Street. Way different back then, compared to the one now in Waipahu.

• June 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Oh man, Shakey’s pizza, with the piano player guy, and watching the pizza makers, and the bench style seating. My dad used to take my brother and me there to order and take home pizza! Ah, First Federal S&L, couldn’t remember which one…and yes, I remember a fountain there!
        I need to dig through some OLD photos that I got when my dad passed away, I’m pretty sure there are lots of pics from town. :D

• June 9, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I remember Honey’s because my parents loved to sing there. My Gram was Don Ho’s first guitarist, and in an interview that he did with one of the Hawai’i magazines, he gives a shout-out to my Gram’s brother, my Uncle Dan Bright.
    I also remember Shakey’s, because we used to go past there every day to go visit my Grampa’s brother, who lived on Grote Rd. My Kupuna lived on Grote Rd. and raised their Ohana there, and as a kid I loved riding bike down that hill.
    I’ll always call Kane’ohe home…..

• June 10, 2013 at 6:08 am

Honey’s is where Kui Lee met Don Ho after he left The Club Jetty at Nawiliwili, Kauai. Nani, his wife, had previously worked at Honey’s, playing for Don.

• June 15, 2015 at 3:44 pm

The original owners of the Honeys bar was and possibly still is in the Grote family.my aunt Ana Grote ran a store and across the st on Kam Hwy and Haiku Rd was Harada Store a family who also had a store in kailua town. Ana Grote and son John Grote  also had property down the road Grote rd and Grote Pl.Johns daughter Edith just passed away May 2015. Popular singer

• June 15, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Popular singer Haunani Apoliona and OOHA trustee is also a grandaughter of the original owners the Grote family.Her mom was the daughter of my aunty Ana Grote.

• June 10, 2013 at 10:08 am

@ pat – Never heard of The Club Jetty, yet it sounds fascinating! I’ll have to look it up!

Any word on whether Coco Palms will be redeveloped? If you ever go to the new Aulani Disney Resort at Ko’olina in west Oahu, you’ll clearly notice they copied the polynesian A-frame architectural element from Coco Palms. Biters.

This story from PBN claims “Coco Palms unlikely to ever be redeveloped”…

Sad. Really sad. Coco Palms was such a grand lady in her heyday. I guess Kauai doesn’t need the tourism dollars.

@ Sundae – Regarding your Gram being Don Ho’s first guitarist, wow, that’s some bragging rights! Very cool. Speaking of Grote Road, I notice that was the name of the building Honey’s was in as well. I’m curious now who Grote was. Probably a plantation owner or developer, as is usually the case with proper names of areas, streets and buildings around Hawaii.

As you said, you’ll always call Kaneohe home, I kinda’ feel the same way. At least, when I drive there, it feels as if I never left. Would I go as far as buying and living in a home in Kaneohe? Probably not. I’m just in a different mode now. Still, Kaneohe has the same vibe and many businesses I/we grew up with are still around. Almost like time stood still in Kaneohe. I’m sure people from towns like Wahiawa, Waimanalo and Waianae probably feel the same way. Try go to the neighbor island, and it’s even more the case. I was just in Maui, and it hasn’t changed hardly at all over the years to decades, save for a few new resort projects here and there.

@ Ann – Regarding Shakey’s in Kaneohe, now that you mention it, I remember the piano player guy, more so than the banjo player guy. I also remember the pizza dough tossing guy. lol Do you remember the small game room in back? That was like the very beginning of arcade video games. We’re talking Atari Asteroids and Space Invaders. Farrell’s Kaneohe had a small game room in back as well. It was located on the Lilipuna Street side of the building. Us Alii Shores kids must have paid half the bills for Farrell’s Kaneohe playing Space Invaders and Galaxian there. lol

Regarding First Federal Savings & Loan in KBSC, now that I recall, the fountain pool filled with wish-making pennies was actually IN the bank, not outside in front of the monkey cage. Surely if it were outside, people would have stolen those pennies. My grandmother had a savings account there, which is when I used to there and throw pennies in. I hope you find those photos. Surely there’ll be some Kaneohe classics! I think my mom may have some too. I’ll check.

• June 11, 2013 at 1:54 am

Pomai, mom and dad use to lunch date at Farrell at Ala Monana Center. But after lunch too full to enjoy their ice cream desserts. It fun at Ala Monana there now they still head to Pearlridge Farrell.

• June 12, 2013 at 11:53 am

Congrats on the weight loss. Looks like it’s time to buy some jean shorts in a smaller size. :-D

• June 12, 2013 at 9:18 pm

h,

I’ve been searching eBay for Dove Shorts to complete my wardrobe for that Richard Simmons/Shaun T Sweatin’ to the Oldies/Insanity YouTube exercise (heavy lisp on “cise” and “simmon-SSS”) video parody. Will keep you po-S-ted. “S”.

• June 15, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Do let me know when you get that video parody up. I haven’t forgotten! You might want to add the term “dolphin shorts” to your search. That’s what they were called where I’m from, and I think that might be the brand Richard SimmonSSTHSSS wears.

• June 13, 2013 at 6:57 am

Oh nooooo. Just got a visual. I guess if you going all out no forget the sweat bands too. BTW, you can try out the new excercise craze with your new wardrobe. Check out Youtube “prancercise”. Not sure where the video was shot but looks like Hawaii.

• June 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Pomai, my parents house was right next to the Ali Shores sales office and I remember hearing music coming from Honeys all night. I try to get back to Kaneohe every couple of years and stay at my brothers house in Ali Shores, my wife loves the view of the Ko’olau mountains and Kaneohe Bay.

• May 3, 2014 at 8:53 am

I kind of vaguely remember those days…Pomai, my dad owned a 7up logoed truck…I think it was a ’52-’56 Ford pickup and we went all over the creation with this thing…Kamehameha Highway was still partially dirt…I used to be babysat at Kualoa Ranch by The Mel Kalahiki Family. Ages 2-5…have a childhood friend who remembers some of that time, Sandy Alu ( thank Ke Akua for Facebook)…I remember dad used to also have an ice cream truck he used to drive up the Windward coast and Honey’s was one of his stops besides cousin Andy’s in Kailua. Everytime my father would come out of the bar with a Shirley Temple, people would think it was for him….Uncle Don knew better..lol…I couldn’t go into the bar because I was a minor, but snuck in to check it out a couple of times…45 years ago….hmmm…as I see those old pics of Honey’s, it does bring back some memories…if at all, Tara Kalahiki or Mel Kalahiki, Jr. could give you a better idea…yours truly, Kevin Au.

• May 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Kevin,

Mahalo for sharing the story about your dad’s truck and visits to Honey’s Place! My memory of Honey’s is so, so vague, as I was no older than I think 7 years old before Honey’s was torn down and became Farrell’s.

As mentioned in the post article, all I remember is my mom and dad went there every now and then, being we lived within walking distance. Being my mother worked in the airline industry (Hawaiian), she personally knew many of the big local entertainers of that era who frequented Honey’s.

• July 11, 2014 at 8:16 am

Aloha, my name is John. I’m 53 years old. I lived on Hilinama st. I went to St. Ann,s school back in late 60s.. I remember Honeys. I also remember the music and also that the place burned. They never repaired the joint and about a year later they tore the place down. Those pictures brought back memory’s of that old place. I remember the time before Safeway, and there was just Star super market and TImes Super Market down Kam. Hwy. I use to ride my bike on red hill behind Honeys.. Oh what fun…

Mahalo, John

• July 13, 2014 at 4:13 pm

John, Do You remember when it burned? I used to go to Honeyʻs in the early 70ʻs. A fun place. I spoke with Honey a few times. I never saw Don when I was there. I lived on KaHanahou Circle at the time. Later I moved to Kāneʻohe Bay Drive and it wasnʻt as convenient – I also did more of my grocery shopping at Aikahi Park then. But, yes, I do remember when it was Star & Times and Foodland at “Windy City”.
    I left Hawaiʻi in the late 70ʻs and didnʻt get back for about 20 years. (Donʻt want to do that again!) So much disappeared while I was gone. Honeys! Shakeys! Haiku Gardens Restaurant! Tiki Tops (all Spencecliff) Tahitian Lanai! Pearl City Tavern! I was feeling pretty down when driving up Kapiʻolani I saw that the Columbia Inn was still open (now closed) and it even still had the same pot holes in the parking lot! I suddenly so at home.
    Also – when I had left there was no H3, no Windward Mall and the Kahekili Hwy. was a sleepy little 2 lane road.
    Aloha, Sunny

• July 13, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Sunny,

I grew in Ali’i Shores, right behind Honey’s Place. While I was just a little boy during Honey’s years there, I don’t recall that building burning down. Maybe just a fire, but not totally destroyed. It was eventually razed, replaced by a new building that became Farrell’s. After Farrell’s left, it became Smitty’s Coffee Shop for many years. After Smitty’s, it became Times Coffee Shop. It’s currently American Savings Bank.

Star Market was in Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center (same property where Honey’s was). When Star Market was sold to Times Supermarket about a decade ago, Walgreens bought the property where Star was, while Star Garden is now a Petco.

We have family friends that live on Kahanahou Circle, right on the bay, including their own boat dock. Gorgeous view of Kaneohe Bay. They bought that home around the mid 80’s for around $500k. Probably worth a couple million now. My folks bought our home in Ali’i Shores in the late 60’s for around $20k. Now it’s valued over a million on the market. Crazy.

Check out the post Oahu Eateries Memorialized…

Also, Oahu Bars & Nightclubs Memorialized…

• July 14, 2014 at 2:30 pm

It did not burn down. One day I was walking to school and the had it taped off. Looked inside and saw the insides all gutted with fire damage. This was about 1974.. It stoud a long time after that. About a year, then they tor it down. My fokes went to honeys many times when I was a kid. They had fun and spoke to honey as well. The picture of honeys place with the bust of don ho was just before it was torn down. All the lamps were removed from the top and the paint all chiped off the walls. It was a sad day. Let’s tare the bank down and rebuild it, as it looked lol..

• July 14, 2014 at 3:06 pm

John,

Do you remember the Honey’s sign being lit with bright neon? That’s all I vaguely remember seeing when we drove past there at night to and from dinners in Kaneohe town. My folks hung out at Honey’s on occasion, but it wasn’t a regular spot for them.

I’m surprised when Don Ho had his restaurant in Aloha Tower that he didn’t name the bar “Honey’s Bar”.

It would be AWESOME if someone resurrected the Tahitian Lanai and/or Queen’s Surf at an oceanfront location in Waikiki (good luck!).

You may have heard that Jimmy Buffett’s restaurant & bar in Waikiki is closing its doors on August 31st…

• July 15, 2014 at 4:56 am

Yes I did, Pomai
        In fact the sign made a buzzing sound. I it was a blue in color. It was cool.
        Pomai, did you live across the street from the Banks house? I lived in Alihi Shores. From
        1964 to 1981… Mahalo Brah, John oh wait, that was Wendall

• July 15, 2014 at 5:03 am

John/Wendell/braddah/da ‘kine lol,

Yup, just as I recall, Honey’s sign was lit a bright neon blue. That’s why I Photoshopped the color of Honey’s sign that color in the splash image for the Oahu Bars & Nightclubs Memorialized post…

Our home was on Kapea Street, which is the second street into Ali’i Shores, parallel to Lilipuna Road. Essentially a block over, North Shore-bound of Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center. Bought it in the late 60’s, sold it in the late 80’s. Went Heeia Elementary K thru 6th. That’s why when people ask what school I wen’ grad, I say Heeia, and they’re like “Hah? What high school ‘dat?”. lol!

Speaking of Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center, these are some bygone businesses I remember being there for long periods of time back in the 70’s thru 80’s:

First Federal Savings & Loan – Live monkey cage in front, along with a wishing well pool inside the bank full of pennies at the bottom (my grandmother had an account there)
          Hau’oli – A men’s name brand (high quality) clothing store; currently O’Reilly Auto Parts
          Play World – a regular for St. Ann’s and Heeia School kids for Icee and Nibb-Its + candy; currently FedEx/Kinko’s
          Perry Boy Smorgy – ridiculously cheap, yet decent (at one time) family buffet; we used to “raid” the soft serve machine; currently Ichiriki (nexdoor to the left of Longs Drugs)
          Star Market and Star Garden – Star Garden had a great selection of live fresh fish (for aquariums, not to eat lol); currently Walgreens & Petco
          Farrell’s – previously Honey’s Place; currently American Savings Bank
          Smitty’s – previously Farrell’s
          Times Coffee Shop – previously Smitty’s

• February 7, 2015 at 8:00 pm

My friend here in CA , now 75, used to go to Honey’s back when; Sonny Chillingworth used to play–I’d have loved to have caught a show.  Thx for the photos

• February 8, 2015 at 8:48 am

HumuHumu,

Yup, all the great Hawaiian musicians of the time used to hang out at Honey’s in Kaneohe, including Gabby Pahinui and Aunty Genoa Keawe. I’m related to the late Sonny Chillingworth. His two sisters who live on Molokai used to fly to Oahu all the time and stay with my mom, but now no can because of health.

• April 13, 2015 at 10:03 am

Honey’s brings back many good memories for me. Honey Ho was my great aunt (sister to my maternal grandmother), and I spent a few times in this place when I was in high school. I should not have been in there, but the bar was managed by Keala Dwyer, Honey’s daughter, and she would let me and her daughter, Reva, come watch the band, dance, and drink virgin margaritas.  Ipo Zuttermeister worked there, and always watched out and made sure no one bothered us.  Gordon Oliviera was the lead singer in the band, and he and Reva married years later. Beautiful love story – those two, now deceased.  They were two of the most beautiful people with so much aloha in their hearts!  They are dearly missed. The picture of Honey’s here was the most current one before it was razed. There was a Honey’s even older than this one that I remember, though never went in to, that was a mint green color, if I remember correctly, back in the 50’s/60’s. Shakey’s, that I remember, was on the other Lilipuna Road entrance (not Ali’i Shores side).  My brother Kevin Hookano used to work there.  We also lived on Grote Road and rode dirt bikes on Red Dirt Hill.  My brother, Ernest Hookano, rode skateboards at the concrete ditches in Kaneohe; I heard he was really good.  We hung out with David and Patrick Victorino, Jimmy Lambert, Mark Frabota, Stanley Dickson, Mikey ?, Dotsy Hopkins, and Richella Mahuna.  Anybody remember Maka Falls?  I have so many good memories growing up in Kane’ohe and many more growing up in Kahalu’u, which is for another time.  Of all the places in the world we could have been, how blessed we were to have known this simple life where our love for the outdoors and nature began and was nurtured.  I am forever grateful for those experiences and to have the best memories anyone could ever have!  Mahalo, ke Akua!

• April 13, 2015 at 2:01 pm

DJasco,

AMAZING story about Honey’s! Huge, HUGE mahalos for sharing!

I (vaguely) remember the “Honey’s” sign was lit-up at night in bright mint green neon. That’s why I Photoshopped the sign in mint green like this:

You’re right: Shakey’s Pizza Parlor was at the entrance to Lilipuna Road, across Kahuhipa Street & Kamehameha Highway. The new Shakey’s in WaipaHOO! is NOTHING like the original.

I don’t know any of those folks who’s names you dropped. You sound like you’re much older than me, based on what you remember. I did grow-up in Kaneohe. However, now you mention also growing up in Kahalu’u “for another time”… I  know EXACTLY why! LOL!!!

Again, mahalos for sharing!

• March 23, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Anybody remember when Nanko’s was across the original Shakey’s location?

• March 23, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Ernest,

I grew up and lived in Kaneohe from the 70s to the 90s, during which time I only remember Nanko’s Fishing Supply being where they are now at the corner of Alaloa and Kahuhipa. If they were across the original Shakey’s, at the corner of Kamehameha Highway and Kahuhipa (across the HonFed building), maybe that was early, early 70s when I was too young to remember (or be able to drive there lol).

There’s a Facebook group named “You know you are from Kaneohe if…“. Try join the group and throw the question out there.

• November 2, 2016 at 2:19 pm

I used to swim at Maka Falls with the Ching family who lived close by next

to the Harbottles and Antone’s. I went to St. Ann’s from 4th till 8th grade…

Me and my sister used to wait for my Dad for our ride home everyday at the

Old Harada Store across Honey’s.  I remember going inside for a glass of water

one late evening while waiting for my dad who had to work late. Mrs Ho gave me

the drink…I had no idea she and Don Ho would be celebrities one day.

• November 3, 2016 at 10:30 am

Stan,

While I don’t remember it, my mom remembers Harada Store across Honey’s, and also a Chinese Restaurant. Not sure if the Chings you refer to owned that restaurant. All I remember across Honey’s was tall overgrown “grass” where would eventually become Windward Mall.

I still have yet to pay a visit to the resurrected Honey’s at the Ko’olau Golf Club.

• December 28, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Pomai…Nice memories! I can still picture the city and county trucks carrying

sewage making that left turn up Haiku to drop off their load at the sewage

station and spilling some of it from the full tanks. For some reason they were

called Honey Wagons by the locals.  Never did find out why.  Yeah next to

Harada Store was a bunch of old cars and long grass…Wish I had a cell phone

back then to take pictures!  Very fortunate to find this site… Nice memories!

• March 23, 2017 at 12:07 pm

just came across this browsing……all so true……miss…

• June 16, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I know I’m late to the party, but…

We lived down Lilipuna road and my Pops would take me with him to Honey’s; sit me at the bar with as many Shirley Temples as I wanted and let me eat the olives from his drink.  My parents were good friends with The Ho’s and my calabash Aunties and Uncles were always there, playing music and got us kids to dance.  AHH, I have very fond memories of Kaneohe.

• November 20, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Huge mahalos to Bob Sigall for referring and crediting The Tasty Island in today’s business section of the Honolulu Star Advertiser, in his ‘Rearview Mirror’ column titled Japan cruise triggers trip through the history of Honey’s.

Bob Sigall wrote, “Pomai Souza, in his Tasty Island blog, says that Honey’s was on the corner of Kamehameha Highway and Lilipuna Road, in front of the Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center. Farrell’s took over the location after Honey’s, then it became Smitty’s Pancake House. Today it’s a Central Pacific Bank branch.”

Read the entire article here (StarAdvertiser.com online subscription required; if you don’t have access to that, it can be read in today’s Honolulu Star Advertiser newsstand print edition, in the business (money) section, page B4).

• August 14, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Nice to read about the old Kaneohe and the memories people hold inside about this town. I really enjoy reading about people, places and things that went on back in the 60’s and earlier…Mahalo everyone!

For me I still remember this middle aged woman who rode a bicycle around Kaneohe town with a doll in her basket. Every so often I would see her parked on the bridge by the old Tasty Treat ( ice cream hang out back in the early 60’s…no Farrell’s or Dairy Queen back then)..she would be talking to her doll as she sat it up on the bridge. Some say she lost her fiance in the Vietnam War and cracked up. I always wonder what happened to her and what was her story..