In-N-Out Burger Heiress Youngest American Woman Billionare

In-N-Out Burger Double-Double

Youngest American Woman Billionare Found with In-N-Out

While we’re on the subject of mega burger joints, there’s an interesting article published today on Yahoo! about In-N-Out Burger, and its sole heiress, 30 year old Lynsi Torres, who is said to be worth over 1 billion dollars. Nice. Speculatively closer to $2 billion for her privately-held company, who she ultimately inherited from her grandparents, Harry and Esther Snyder, who started the first In-N-Out Burger in Baldwin Park, California in 1948.

Lynsi’s uncle, Rich Snyder (her father’s brother), took over the running the company when her grandfather passed away. However he had an untimely death due to a plane crash, to which the business then went to Lynsi’s father, Harry Guy Snyder, who also died prematurely at age 49 due to a prescription drug overdose. Man, that’s gotta’ bite, having all that wealth, only to die early and not enjoy all the fruits of your family and employees labor.

In-N-Out Burger Double-Double and Hamburger Combo

Apparently In-N-Out heiress Lynsi Torres is an elusive, very low-profile person, refusing public interviews, including by author Stacy Perman, who wrote a 352-page book about In-N-Out. IIRC, Pat said he read that book. I’d like to as well. Sounds like an interesting read, just like the one about Steve Jobs.

Lynsi Torres, In-N-Out heiress and company president (courtesy of Bob Johnson/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

I also remember reading something about the family not wanting to expand to Hawaii, because this is their favorite place to vacation, and they didn’t want to “bring work on vacation with them”. Particularly Maui is said to be their favorite vacation destination. At least, that was the policy when her father and grandparents ran the company. I understand Lynsi, being of the new generation, has a different mindset and was rumored to have mentioned the possibility of expanding here in Hawaii. We’ll just have to wait and see when and if news breaks on that.

Not that Hawaii (or specifically, Oahu) needs anymore burger joints, yet I’m quite confident In-N-Out would do very well here should they decide to enter our market. Typically mainland retail chains (retail speaking, I don’t know about fast food) that open shop here in Hawaii are said to outperform most locations on the mainland. When I was renovating my kitchen, the Home Depot associate helping me design my cabinet layout told me the Home Depot in Iwilei is the NUMBER ONE performing Home Depot in the nation. Wow!

I also heard the Louis Vuitton in Waikiki is (or was at one time) the NUMBER ONE grossing in sales in the WORLD. In the freakin’ WORLD! Crazy! That, thanks to the Japanese tourists of course, as it’s much cheaper to buy boutique products here than it is back in Japan where such products get taxed to out-of-reach prices for most folks. I have a friend from Japan who came here and didn’t even blink about buying a $200 coin purse. A $200 freaking COIN PURSE. Yes, those tiny little baggie thingees with just one zipper, a tiny hand strap and barely enough capacity to hold a dollar in change. Nuts!

In-N-Out Burger @ Blue Diamond Crossing, Las Vegas, Nevada

As for the palm trees on their drinking cups, the story behing that goes like this: “One of founder Harry Snyder’s favorite movies, It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, features characters racing to find treasure buried under four palm trees planted to resemble the letter W. Because each In-N-Out store is Harry’s treasure, a tradition of planting crossed palm trees in front of most In-N-Out locations begins.” My initial impression of the restaurant is that the company tries to portray a laid-back lifestyle as part of its marketing image, as does their very basic menu reflect that. Of course, they do have a “secret” menu that In-N-Out regulars are well aware of.

In-N-Out Burger @ Blue Diamond Crossing, Las Vegas, Nevada

If Lynsi does decide to open In-N-Out Burger here in the islands, I’m curious where she’d choose for their debut location. Since the family is said to enjoy visiting Maui, I’m guessing somewhere in Kihei or Kahului as the first location. Following, I’d say somewhere around Ward Center in Honolulu, and/or perhaps in Waikiki of course. At least, that’s where I’d go if I were calling the shots.

And of course, wanting an In-N-Out Burger to come to Hawaii probably also sparks the thought of Trader Joe’s, which would just KILL IT if they opened here. Cha-ching!

I’ve been to two In-N-Out Burger locations, both in ‘Vegas of course, and in those visits, never took notice that they included biblical citations on their food wrappers and drinking cups. Interesting. If I start my own fast food joint, I’ll include Buddhist teachings on my packaging such as “Hendoku Hyaku: Change Poison into Medicine”.

As for their burgers ‘n fries, they’re definitely good, however I wasn’t particular “floored” by it, like, oh, say The Counter or Honolulu Burger Company. It’s just a good ‘ole American Burger and fries that’s done right, where you can certainly taste its freshness, and best of all, priced right. I was certainly impressed with the cleanliness of the restaurant and friendliness of the workers. These guys are definitely following a geared-for-success business model.

That said, I highly recommend you go read that article at the following Yahoo! link. It’s very interesting. I’d love to read the book about the company.

Youngest American Woman Billionare Found with In-N-Out

In-N-Out Burger @ Blue Diamond Crossing, Las Vegas, Nevada

Let’s take an In-N-Out poll! Tee-hee! :-P

The Tasty Island related links:
Las Vegas ’11 – Part 2
Kahala Eats: The Counter Custom Built Burgers
Makiki Eats; Honolulu Burger Co.
HCC Eats: Cheeseburger Hawaii Lunch Truck
Islands Fine Burgers and Drinks
Kaimuki Eats: W&M Bar-B-Q Burgers
Kiawe Grill’s Kobe Burger
Aiea Eats: Forty Niner Restaurant
Kaneohe Eats; Lee’s Drive In
Teddy’s Bigger Burgers Waikiki
Wheah’ Stay Da’ Beef?

www.In-N-Out.com

15 thoughts on “In-N-Out Burger Heiress Youngest American Woman Billionare

• February 4, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I am in the ‘no freakin way’ camp. I grew up on these burgers but would never think about eating one out of California. I have eaten quite a few burgers in my time in many places and have come to the conclusion that a good burger is a regional delicacy, complete with a local following. Think of how the best teri burger you have ever eaten would taste in Bakersfield.

What I am saying is that regional riffs is what makes an ordinary burger a great burger. Replicating that in Hawaii would just be too weird.

And since we delving into the PG-13 territory: many years ago, during my young and dumb years, they would give out bumper stickers for free. We would, very carefully, remove the ‘B’ and the ‘R’ from the last word and place the altered stickers on our cars.

………and we thought we so cool for doing it.

• February 5, 2013 at 5:34 am

ArnyB,

I see your point about a good burger being a regional “delicacy”. Honolulu Burger Company is a good example of that in their use of high quality free-range beef from the Big Island. You really can taste the difference!

Also, like most comfort foods, everyone has that favorite burger they grew up with, where none other can compare. For some, it may be In-N-Out, for others, it may be that hole-in-the-wall Mom ‘n Pop, which at one time In-N-Out was, as was McDonald’s. Oh, like say, W&M Bar-B-Q Burger in Kaimuki, or Forty Niner Restaurant in Aiea, Or Lee’s Drive In in Kaneohe. Or the long gone Burgerland on Monsarrat off Diamond Head.

What’s ironic is, the megachains’ take on the classic Teri’ Burger is usually pretty good!

I actually had to write-out ‘In-N-Out Burger’ and chuck the B and R to comprehend what you were talking about. Surely there’s a few more silly pokes at the name that can’t be mentioned here.

• January 31, 2016 at 6:02 pm

good point brother…example in point regarding dilluting down the original original i was in austin i asked fro fried mustard they said they weren’t sure if they could do that ..i said let me call baldwin park ca offica and ask if there are limitations instead she gave me a free burger im like what the fut

• February 4, 2013 at 8:53 pm

In N Out would be hard to replicate here. The sandwiches, shakes, and fries are very inexpensive by Hawaii standards and this has always been an important point. Because they go where rent is cheap and supplies are delivered fresh by truck. The beef comes from only one or two slaughter houses. And must meet standards that are rare. Until recently Hawaii could not even provide the proper tomato.
    While Ms Torres did not graduate, she did go to college. When she inherited the chain from her grandparents who adored her, she was immediately worth $200M which made her the target of every gold-digger in the country.
    I think basically she was told not to draw herself out of a winning hand by people who actually cared about her.

• February 5, 2013 at 5:57 am

Pat,

They’d definitely have to increase their price point if they insist on using locally-resourced ingredients. Unless their volume were high enough, no way they could charge just $2.99 and profit for a Double-Double or $1.99 Cheeseburger, if said sandwich used locally-raised beef. Still, I’d rather they charge more and stick with the quality ingredients vs. mega mass-produced “Food Inc.” crap.

I don’t have all the facts, however I understand Hawaii (and perhaps Alaska?) are the only Wendy’s locations in the US that don’t use fresh ground beef, but previously-frozen stuff; something they tout as their selling point in mainland “Always Fresh. Never Frozen.” marketing campaigns.

Surely there’s a bunch of gold diggers out there wanting a piece of the In-N-Out cash cow, including Warren Buffet, one of the richest men in the world, who reportedly once said he’d like to own the chain. All that money he already has, and he wants to become a restauranteur? Go figure.

• November 5, 2016 at 5:35 pm

In N out was recently assessed at $1 Billion.

• February 5, 2013 at 10:00 am

Pomai, I don’t think need we another hamburger chain in the island. Trying to support our local business first.

• February 5, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Ummm.. I think I fell in love… again. Damn this curse of male patteren baldness and lack of cash.

• February 6, 2013 at 5:11 am

I remember Lucy Goo’s hamburgers in Wailuku when I worked there in the 80’s. Lucy Goo’s hamburger:
    A fried thin hamburger patty, fried sliced onion, and bun. That’s it. The only other item she sold was bottle Coke. There wasn’t even a sign, but there was always a line. Hit the spot!

• February 6, 2013 at 6:04 am

I remember those from the ’70s. My first job was across the street, so I used to go to the bakery all the time. 2 cheeseburgers wrapped in paper put in a small paper bag. Regular order. Wonderful.

• February 6, 2013 at 6:34 am

Pat & Erica,

The typical “old school” drive-in hamburgers I remember were as you described. While also especially noteworthy was the “special sauce”, which was usually a simple mixture of mayonnaise and mustard, or mayonnaise and ketchup, or all of the above. And usually drowning in the sauce, soaking into the paper wrapper like this…

Lee's Drive In Cheeseburger Deluxe
        Lee’s Drive In (located in Kaneohe, and still in business!) – Double Cheeseburger Deluxe ($4.25) and Regular Fries ($1.55)

Oh yeah. Sloppier and greasier, the better!

According to Diner E, Omiya’s in Aiea also sported a popular burger, except theirs had a twist: instead of lettuce, they’d use cabbage. For Omiya’s burger “secret sauce”, he discovered they used tomato paste mixed with the mayo’, not ketchup. A-ha!

• March 28, 2014 at 10:55 am

You used to work at Lucy Goo’s in Wailuku? Thats my great-grandparents restaurant. Would you happen to have any photos?

• August 8, 2016 at 5:52 am

Was there a Lucy Goo’s in Honolulu?  I remember my dad saying he dated a waitress from there during the war, about 1942-43.

• February 13, 2013 at 3:55 am

I totally agree that Hawaii probably doesn’t need another burger chain, but IF it did, my vote would be for a Five Guys. It’s a massive chain on the Mainland, mostly east of the Mississippi. Like In and Out, Their business model is a simple menu, only burgers and dogs.Fresh ground beef, burgers made when you order. Fries cut and fried fresh, and a small order feeds two! Fries are either plain or cajun, and you can get extra cajun spice to sprinkle on your burger (my “go-to”). Free roasted peanuts while you wait. But the fresh beef issue that was mentioned earlier may hinder that. Nevertheless, almost everywhere they go, they get Zagat rated as the best burger in town.

• March 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

@ KW – I’ll eMail Erica your question to make sure she gets it. It’d be pretty neat if she has photos of your great grandparents!

@ Keith-San – Never tried Five Guys, yet from your description, sounds great! Teddy’s Bigger Burgers (a locally-owned franchise) is expanding rapidly here in Hawaii and on the mainland now. Next time you get home, you definitely need to try them (there’s one in Waikiki on Kapahulu avenue). They’re one of my faves for a big fat juicy flame-grilled burger, plus they have excellent fries. Regarding frozen beef, IIRC, the Wendy’s locations in Hawaii are the only ones in the nation that uses frozen patties. All the mainland locations tout beef that’s always fresh, never frozen.