McDonald’s & 7-Eleven Hawaii Hits

McDonald’s Hawaii “Local Deluxe Breakfast Platter”: Portuguese Sausage, SPAM, Eggs & Rice. $5.69

This is too funny. In this ongoing quest to lose weight (almost there!), here I am reviewing a fast food joint and convenience store, completely on the polar opposite end of that equation. Ha!

McDonald’s Hawaii

Anyways, surely all you readers who either live, have lived or visited Hawaii in the last few decades have probably already seen and/or eaten Portuguese Sausage, Eggs and Rice as shown at your neighborhood McDonald’s… a local breakfast fave! But wait, is that a couple slices of fried SPAM on there, too? Why yes! Which is actually known as their “Local Deluxe Breakfast Platter” (shouldn’t it be simply called “Plate?”)…

Photo courtesy of broke-da-mouth.blogspot.com

After an early morning brisk walk down Waikiki beach last weekend, I dropped by the McDonald’s on Kuhio Avenue. Being starved, plus after, for the most part, eating nothing but cereal, fruit, Bok Choy Salads and Tofu the whole darned work week, I said ah screw it, I want THAT! Besides, I feel my metabolism is now in revved-up mode (with weight numbers to back me up), that I’ll easily burn this one off.

After not having a McDonald’s breakfast plate ever since I can remember, I went all out and got the McD’s “Local Deluxe Breakfast Platter”, which includes 2 scoops of perfectly steamed white rice, fried scrambled eggs, Portuguese Sausage and SPAM, currently running $5.69 in Waikiki. Whoo-hoo, load ’em up, baby!

Shoots, with all these “supersized” fast food deals, they might as well offer the “Bambucha Local Platter”, including all that, plus bacon, hash browns and 2 slices of buttery toast. Oh yeah! lol

I don’t know what it is about McDonald’s take on it, but their rice is almost ironically some of the BEST darned steamed white rice I’ve had ANYWHERE. It’s so good! Nice ‘n pillowy, with the perfect texture, pure tasting (no burnt flavor) and PIPING HOT! Of all the major burger chains, while I’m so not a fan of their burgers, McD’s definitely are at the top of my list for BEST FRENCH FRIES. And with that, their breakfast platters have of all things, the BEST RICE!  Their scrambled eggs (which are said to be pasteurized whole eggs) are also nice and buttery (made with margarine actually) and cooked just right, not being too runny or dried out. SPAM is SPAM, and you can tell this is the real deal (definitely not the low sodium version as far as I could tell), not no knock-off stuff. And finally, while I didn’t ask, I’m pretty sure their Portuguese Sausage is Purity brand, as it has that slight sweetness to it that Purity is known to have over the other brands. One of my favorite brands by far.

Summing it up, I give McDonald’s “pescetarian-diet-out-the-window-for-the-moment” Local Breakfast Platter a resounding 5 SPAM & Portuguese Sausage Musubi!

Before I leave here, I just want to reminisce a few other local faves you can find (or could have found while available) at your neighborhood Hawaii McDonald’s that I’ve reviewed in the past…

McDonald’s Hawaii Saimin

What’s an interesting trivia about McDonald’s regional menu selections is, if what’s been written on Wikipedia holds true, you can credit Maurice “Sully” Sullivan, the late founder of Foodland, for convincing Ray Kroc, the late mastermind behind the McDonald’s empire, for putting Saimin on the McDonald’s Hawaii’s menu. A first for ANY McDonald’s around the country in straying from their national corporate menu. “Sullivan convinced Kroc to expand McDonald’s menu for the first time in its corporate history to include a local “ethnic” food”. With that, you can also thank “Sully”, Washington Saimin and Boulevard Saimin for regional menu items such as the McFalafel, McShawarma & McAloo Tikki Burger, just to name a few. How McCool is that!

Not to mention these here limited edition “Hawaiian” themed variations on their classic Apple Pie…

McDonald’s Hawaii Haupia Pie

McDonald’s HawaiiTaro Pie

McDonald’s Hawaii Peach & Mango Pie

Finally for the Golden Hawaiian Arches, in case you haven’t noticed the latest PRESS post on this blog, McDonald’s of Waikele is celebrating their Grand Reopening Tomorrow, Saturday, December 8, 2012

In celebration of McDonald’s Waikele Grand Reopening, they’ll have early morning menu specials and freebies, plus prize giveaways and a blessing. Yay!

7-Eleven Hawaii

Moving along, lately I’ve been frequenting the 7-Eleven on Kapahulu avenue after my daily beach workout to pick up either a cold bottle of water (it’s as cheap there as it is in the supermarkets) or a sugar-free Slurpee, plus put in some gas if I need it. Where I can never help but chuckle at the wide assortment of SPAM Musubi and Manapua they have GLARING AT YOU in the face as you wait at the checkout…

7-Eleven Hawaii SPAM Musubi selections

It’s like, as I’m standing there at the 7-Eleven checkout holding my innocent bottle of water or sugar-free Slurpee, the tiny devil on my left shoulder whispers slyly direct in my ear, “Hey buddy, screw your pesky diet. You know you want one of them SPAM Musubi. Don’t they look sooo devilicious!”. Upon which my guardian angel on the right shoulder immediately reacts, runs over and kicks the devil’s @ss. lol

Face 300x250
So let’s see here: we have your “basic” SPAM MUSUBI for $1.49 each, A TERIYAKI SPAM MUSUBI for $1.59 each, and finally a DELUXE SPAM MUSUBI, which looks like it has TERIYAKI SPAM, plus an egg omelet, plus Furikake FOR $1.69. Very reasonably priced. Surely any one of these would fill me up until the next meal, but I ain’t havin’ any of that, at least for the time being as I shoot for my end-of-year weight loss goal. Almost there!

7-Eleven has won the Star Bulletin “Hawaii’s Best” award for “Best SPAM Musubi” as far back as I can remember that award existing. Mainly of course because there’s so many darned Seven Elevens around the state, it must be top of mind. I remember trying one from here a long time ago, and it was pretty good, IIRC, however I have yet to refresh my memory on it.

Along with SPAM MUSUBI, Seven Eleven Hawaii locations also have this here JUMBO MOCHIKO CHICKEN MUSUBI, plus a new line of “Haute” Musubi, ala Manabu’s, that they call “MARU MARU MUSUBI”….

7-Eleven Hawaii Maru Maru Musubi & Specialty Musubi selections
Wow, that sure is a JUMBO Musubi!  It’s as big as my fist!

While I wasn’t hungry on this visit, in a future post I’ll review their new “MARU MARU MUSUBI” trio, as they all easily fit within the confines of my current “diet” *cough-cough*…

As noted earlier, also staring you in the eye and stomach as you hold your slurpee, the daily paper and an overpriced can of motor oil (been there, done that. lol!), is this warmer display case of Manapua and Pork Hash favorites…

7-Eleven Hawaii Manapua & Pork Hash

To be honest, I’ve NEVER ever tried a Manapua (or Pork Hash) from Seven Eleven, as I dunno’, they kinda’ frighten me with their funky colors and piped-out bun shape. If you’ve ever tried it, chime in and let us know what ya’ think!

Seven Eleven Hawaii also carries a wide variety of bento and sushi selections in the refrigerator and warmer sections, almost seeming like they’re trying to compete against Shirokiya, which is no question BENTO CENTRAL. Here’s a few that were available at the Kapahulu 7-Eleven at the time of my visit…

“Fried Chicken Bento”? Looks more like CHICKEN KATSU to me.

Well, this was an easy post for Pauhana Friday. Here’s to another fun weekend. I sure need it. Whew. Another long work week. I’m beat.

P.S. Here I am yesterday (12.06.12), still hovering at 170 pounds (down from 207 lbs. back in May ’12)…

What’s funny about this photo taken in our office yesterday, is that now it looks almost like I’m “floating” in my work clothes; particularly my pants. The slacks I’m wearing are now two sizes too big, as you can tell by how bunched-up it is at my belt, and the XL shirt now looks almost like a parachute on me around my midsection. At least I have my jawline and waist back. Thank God. I also gotta’ say, I’m looking more and more like my dad as I get older. Don’t most men?

When I hit or get near 165 lbs., I’ll finally go out and shop for new dress clothes that fit me properly. Now that I think about it, if I DIDN’T eat that McMegaMonster of a breakfast platter, I’d probably already be 165 pounds. Go figure. lol  Ah, just 5 pounds to go. Ganbarimasu!

In another post, I’ll show you one of my “boring” Bok Choy & Choy Sum (raw) Salads. Stuff works though. Along with the Japanese Green Tea, that’s my “magic bullet” for weight loss.

Dr.Whitaker's NEW & Improved Glucose Essentials

44 thoughts on “McDonald’s & 7-Eleven Hawaii Hits

• December 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Hey Pomai, I’ve followed your blog for years, and I just want to congratulate you on your weight loss. You look great!!!

• December 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Kyle,

Huge mahalos for the compliment! Most importantly, I FEEL great! Mahalo also for being a loyal “lurker” for years. J/K! :-P

• December 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Lookin’ fit, Mr. Pomai! Good job!

7-11 has a really excellent salisbury steak bento, too. It has a hand-formed patty with a yummy (kinda salty but it’s 7-11) gravy. It’s so popular around where I work that it’s sometimes sold out.

• December 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Molly,

Thanks!

As for the 7-Eleven Salisbury Steak bento, Sounds scary just thinking about it, but if it sells out, must be good. To be honest, Salisbury Steak was one of my last choices for them Swanson TV dinners as a kid, and I still have that apprehension. But hey, to each their own!

Now that I think about it, 7-Eleven should try experiment with ready-to-go Pot Pies. Chicken ‘n Turkey Pot Pie… now THEM were FAVES for me small keed time! Right down to scorching the hell out of my tongue on the first few bites. LOL!

• December 7, 2012 at 7:50 pm

HUGE congrats on your sustained weight loss! You look healthy and fit, and you’re a great role model/ success story for all us foodie dieters – now that’s an oxymoron!

• December 8, 2012 at 8:45 am

Lois,

I suppose “sustained” is an apt word, as fortunately I didn’t suffer much “yo-yo” effect. I’d go back up a few pounds every so many days, but nothing alarming. It’s been most frustrating whenever hitting a plateau, when no matter how good my diet and how much I exercised, the numbers just wouldn’t go down for over a week. Then all of a sudden the numbers drop really rapidly, like going over a cliff. Pretty weird how the body reacts to losing fat. It’s like it’s telling itself, “we’re either in survival mode” (no burn), or “we’re now in performance mode” (burn).

I actually wouldn’t consider myself the “perfect” role model, as my body’s history is actually an ideal candidate for weight loss, being that I used to bodybuild, and was very physically fit all the way into my early 30’s (I’m in my 40’s now). It was just a matter revving my metabolism back up. The “perfect” weight loss role model would be someone who never had a history of being physically fit in their entire life, then suddenly became that way through the same efforts I made. Now THOSE folks have incredible stories of accomplishment!

• December 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Hello Pomai,

Great stuff as always. Really like how you talk about all sorts of food. And congrats on the weight loss. I know how you feel and it feels great to drop the weight. What sort of other changes to your diet have you done to reduce your weight?

• December 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

Rich,

I like to talk about the most mundane, ordinary foods we all see every day sometimes, and turn a whacky or interesting story out of it. At least that was my goal with this post.

As for “other changes”, ummm. Hmmmm. Nothing really. Simply diet and exercise, plus lots of green tea. I try to get more sleep, but that’s still an issue with me and one of my bad habits. I’ve always hated to go to bed at night. Ever since I was a baby I was like that.

As I said in the post, I think my “magic bullet” along with the green tea is the raw Bok Choy Salads. I notice that really cuts pounds when I stay that dietary course during the week. Weekends of course I loosen up a bit.

I need to go back and get another physical from Dr. TT in January to check my blood count. I’m curious where my triglycerides are at. My blood pressure is currently normal with NO meds being used to regulate it.

Speaking of which, I’m off to KCC Farmers Market in a bit. Gotta’ restock on the Bok Choy and Choy Sum.

• December 8, 2012 at 2:56 am

I love their fried rice musubi- fried rice musubi in one hand, char siu manapua in the other and a diet coke to wash it all down! Oh, and congrats on the weight loss!

• December 8, 2012 at 9:11 am

L, speaking of diet Coke, while I’ve eliminated any type of soft drink that uses sugar (I used to drink GALLONS of Powerade and Gatorade), every now and then I’ll crave something with carbonation, and will drink a Coke Zero. I mostly drink good ‘ole H2O, but to keep my liquid sweet tooth happy, I keep a half-gallon of sugar-free (aspartame-sweetened) Iced Tea in the fridge. Usually when I get up late at night, that’s what I want to drink. Either that or 2% Milk, which is my FAVORITE. I’m like a milk FIEND. lol

• December 8, 2012 at 4:01 am

Pomai, don’t be scare of the 7-11 manapuas for they taste not bad but I still rather get mine in Chinatown. The best way to control weight is to get on scale every day to be sure of gain or loss.

• December 8, 2012 at 9:17 am

Amy,

Yup, every day. In fact it’s like an obsession now. I can’t pass the scale without jumping on it. lol Which reminds of an ex-girlfriend of mine, who was obsessed with mirrors. Every time she’d pass a mirror (like at the store or in the house), she just HAD to stop and look at herself, then start brushing her hair. I always found that highly amusing. LOL!!!

• December 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I had an ex who would check out his reflection in butter knives. I wouldn’t even use a knife’s reflective surface to reapply lipstick, but he had no shame, he just loved to gaze at himself.

• December 8, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Must have been a good lookin’ guy… at least in the reflection of a butterknife. LOL!!! That’s what I’d nickname him after the break-up. “Look Tracy, there’s my ex-boyfriend “Butterknife” sitting over there…”. LOL!!!

• December 8, 2012 at 6:04 am

Congratulations on the weight loss – you look great! We always look forward to your new posts and then bookmarking them on Yelp for our next trip.

• December 8, 2012 at 9:20 am

Traci,

Thanks again, and yeah, I’m feeling my blogging “fire” coming back. Every now and then the flame dies down, but I somehow am able to rekindle it.

Yelp is kinda’ funny now. It’s almost like a singles site. lol!

• December 8, 2012 at 8:38 am

Spectacular weight loss! Congrats! The swimming-in-clothing fashion is just a reward (admittedly an odd one) for all your hard work.

• December 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

h,

“swimming-in-clothing”… good one! Sounds like you have a new concept fashion line in your future! Imagine clothing that had the effect of one “swimming” in it, where it sort of fluttered freely. OK, now I sound gay. LOL!!!

• December 8, 2012 at 5:03 pm

LOL! That would be PERFECT for people who aren’t so successful at weight loss, or who have gained weight and don’t want to bother working it off. They can get clothing in a size that pleases them, and still “swim” in it as if they lost too much weight to still wear that size! Pomai, I think we’re onto an easy cosmetic solution to America’s weight problem!

• December 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm

h,

Well, that was sort of addressed already with that whole baggie jeans hip-hop fad of the 90’s, which I NEVER understood. Especially when they wore it halfway down their hips to expose the top half of their underwear. Ugh.

It was a GORGEOUS day at the beach yesterday. Here I am “reflecting” at my favorite spot…

beach

Yeah, I’m one hairy half-Podagee son-of-a-gun. lol

• December 10, 2012 at 5:05 am

Oh, 90’s fashion… ugh. At least the baggy wasn’t as bad as the backwards look sported by TLC and Kriss-Kross. Speaking of baggy, I think hammer-style pants are coming back for men. That’s one look I never expected to return!

Gorgeous picture! Oh, blue skies. I can promise you it didn’t look like that yesterday in the Washington, D.C. area. Your pic makes me long for my days growing up in Miami (and I can promise you, you would not be considered hairy compared to what you typically see on the beaches in Miami).

• December 10, 2012 at 5:49 am

h,

It was bluer earlier in the day. When I took that photo (self-shot), some clouds began rolling in, however far from overcast. Sunday had a lot more overcast. Yesterday (Sunday) was also the day of the JAL Honolulu Marathon, so access to Diamond Head by car was blocked. So I decided to clean house and car instead.

• December 10, 2012 at 10:26 am

Of course, I forgot the time difference! Well today is uglier than yesterday, blue skies are a distant memory in this area. I should take a picture, you can gloat over the weather difference! Today is as grey as the comment box background.

• December 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm

This half-Portagee is getting white hair. Better get one bride soon. ;)

• December 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Pat, ha! I actually kinda’ dig the white hair. It’s like a new look. I used to shave my (way way too much) body hair, but nah, not anymore. Too much maintenance. Au naturel, baby! I’ll probably do it for my “after after” photo. We’ll see.

Here’s photo B, taken the same day, different spot (where everyone launches out)…

Pomai 170 lbs. at the beach

• December 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm

h,

My current theme doesn’t offer a simple GUI option to switch the comment box background color, so I’ll probably have to get “under the hood” into the WP CSS code to do that. I also want to add an emoticons and text formatting toolbar for readers who want to comment. I’ll search for some plugin solution for this.

• December 11, 2012 at 4:14 am

Nothing wrong with grey comment boxes, it’s the grey skies that I find objectionable. Fortunately, we’re back to blue skies (but no tropical beach, of course) in the DC area today. No suggestions here for adding features to your comment box. WP CSS is the most frustrating to tinker with, IMHO.

• December 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

wish my local MCD had that onolicious platter. bruddah pomai you’re looking way way good!!!! keep it up!!!!

• December 10, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Raph,

What regional ethnic menu items are available at McD’s in Oakland? While you’re in NoCal, I’d imagine the McD’s in SoCal would have Mexican-influenced fare.

Oh, and thanks. But you know, if you just said I “look good”, I’d take that as a man-to-man compliment. While then, if you said I look “way good”, then I’d start raising an eyebrow. However, now you’re saying I look “way way good”, which I take you’re hitting on me. LOL!!!!! j/K!!! :-P

• December 10, 2012 at 11:26 pm

haha nothing super spectacular at the McD here in NorCal/SoCal….there was the very short lived strawberry cheesecake pie….the s’mores pie was also short lived….both were very good :D the southern style chicken sammich is back in some areas….it’s like chik-fil-a….the breakfast version is on the very delicious biscuit, whilst the lunch/dinner southern style chicken was on a buttered standard roll with a couple pickles. i have actually been living on those mcdoubles + mcchicken off the dollar menu. and the apple pies. haha :D my pre-game ritual for weekend baseball ALWAYS starts at mcdonalds :D

• December 11, 2012 at 5:58 am

Raph,

Chik-Fil-A is another mainland chain we still don’t have here in Hawaii. I’ve heard there’s plans to finally bring In-N-Out Burger here, which I’m sure would be very successful. In fact most national chains that bring locations to Hawaii have the highest performance in sales, nationwide. Walmart & Home Depot two examples of that. Another interesting trivia that someone who once worked there told me, is that Louis Vuitton in Waikiki is the HIGHEST performing store in the WORLD. Thank the Japanese tourists for that of course. I wouldn’t doubt the Waikiki Victoria’s Secret and Forever 21 are strong performers. Super high rent, but I’m sure it’s worth it.

As for McDs Dollar Menu, there was a Yahoo article saying how you’re better off ordering from that than buying their “premium” sandwiches… at least if pure bang-for-the-buck is all that matters. Only thing, last time I tried one of those McDoubles, it was VERY salty. Tasty for sure, but not good for the BP.

Speaking of Apple Pie, McDonald’s Hawaii recently brought back the Taro Pie (shown above), selling for $1 each. They seem to be on a rotation between all three specialty pies above. They really should consider marketing those in other parts of the country (especially where you live). I think it would do well, as anything with “Hawaii” tagged to it seems to be the “cool” thing nowadays. We’re like all over the Food Network now.

• December 11, 2012 at 8:39 pm

In and Out is not in Hawaii because the family that owns it always vacationed here. It is now in the hands of a young girl (yup, she owns the whole thing), and she may decide differently, but I personally do not see how they can bring the beef and vegetables over here. I mean, they are so fresh that I&O actually has its own distribution network. I don’t think they have planned for Hawaii’s unions and slow-paced method of dealing with simple burger ingredients. I hope I am wrong.

• December 11, 2012 at 9:11 pm

In-N-Out in hawaii…would be way way cool…the crossed palm trees logo would fit the island vibe really well! :) the food on the ‘premium’ menu at mcd is not that great. and if you order item by item from the dollar menu, you def get a better deal. take for example their 2 cheeseburger meal. it is 5.50 something here before tax. when in fact you can order TWO of the mcdoubles to get 2x the meat….a small fry…and any size drink for $1. that with some tax comes under $5…….time to put that finite element analysis (FEA) from engineering to good work hhahaha ;)

• December 12, 2012 at 5:19 am

Pat,

That’s the exact story I’ve heard, which I thought I had read in a news article. But since it sounds so familiar how you worded it, it just may have been YOU who mentioned it purely as notion here in past comment. I’m not inclined to put on my investigative hat on the subject, as IMO, we already have more than enough burger joints here. Have you tried Honolulu Burger Company yet? AWESOME. The Counter is also fantastic. Teddy’s is great, pass on the “secret” sauce.

Are any major fast food chains here unionized? I can see the truck drivers, but not the restaurant staff.

• December 12, 2012 at 5:49 am

Raph,

The “premium” sandwich value meals at the McDonald’s in Waikiki average about $9, which includes a medium fries, medium drink, “premium” sandwich of your choice, plus, get this: a cup of chunked pineapple; the latter of which is exclusive to the three Waikiki locations (Discovery Bay, Kalakaua & Kuhio). The same premium sandwich value meal outside Waikiki is about $7, which of course doesn’t include the pineapple cup. Currently the McDonald’s Hawaii website doesn’t provide any online menus, I’m guessing because it changes too frequently.

Another side note on their regional Hawaii menu: the post here on McDonald’s Saimin remains one of the highest hit pages on this blog ever since that was posted. Hopefully McDonald’s has since improved the recipe, as that one REALLY needed help. I’ll have to do an update!

• December 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

One of my fave breakfasts when I’m in town is the Local Platter #2, Spam ‘n eggs at the Kalakaua McD! And you’re right about their rice — it is good, and the fluffy lightness of it is a perfect accompaniment to the Spam and eggs.

I don’t know if you’re aware, but there’s now a branch of Japanese convenience store Lawson Station just past the Waikiki police station, where they have a steaming tray of oden, should that sound like the ideal treat after a walk on the beach …

• December 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Debbie-chan,

I shall DEFINITELY check out and blog Lawson Station. Probably not after a long walk, as I wouldn’t want hot soup/stew after that, but at night while it’s cool. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ODEN!

I still have yet to sample Marukame Udon on Kuhio Avenue (in front of the former Scruples). The place goes OFF on Yelp!

• December 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I pass by Marukame Udon often while riding The Bus, and it almost always has a long line out the door. I think about trying it, but for some reason, hot soup (udon, ramen, etc.) isn’t my first choice when I’m visiting. I did make an exception last trip, though, and went to Lucky Belly in Chinatown. It was good, too.

• December 12, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Debbie-chan,

Ironic you bring that up. I was just in the new and HIGHLY improved Shirokiya Yataimura “food court” this afternoon, after having picked-up a repaired computer from the Apple Store downstairs. Where Yataimura also currently features an Udon vendor very similar to Marukame Udon: pick your udon soup style, then add various tempura as toppings. Plus a number of other assorted Udon combos.

From a “Foodie” standpoint on a personal level, I swear, if there was one place in Hawaii I would want to be locked in and never left out, is the Shirokiya Yataimura “food court”. Everything there looks and smells SO DIVERSE & OISHII!!! As noted before, like being at a Japanese festival every day!

• December 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Oh yeah, *love* the Yataimura! They always have some good looking ramen there, too, but again, the hot soup/hot weather thing … Last time I had dinner at the maguro place in the corner near the takoyaki. Oh, and the takoyaki … (if I keep going I’ll end up making a circuit around the entire place!)

• April 17, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Mc donalds Portuguese sausage is not Purity. I really wish it was…

• September 14, 2017 at 11:49 am

It’s true, McD’s DOES have some great rice. Its coffee blend is excellent as well and when they’re hot and fresh the fries are still killer(even though they don’t cook them in beef tallow like when I worked there). Pomai, You’ve done it here somewhere, but if not, how about a “Best Rice” open thread? Just regular Japanese Gohan comparisons in the three or four categories. If you’re like me, bad rice can really ruin what would otherwise be a great meal, musubi, or bento. My 35 year old rice cooker still does a fantastic job for me here and it’s steamin’ at least 4 days a week! I usually use premium Nishiki Gold in it.

:D