Aloha Tofu Mousse

Having not noticed it while there, Uchinanchu Diner “Saimin Kaukau” E told me the Machiya-Gwa Country Store at last Labor Day weekend’s Okinawan Festival were selling these here Aloha Tofu Mousse, which sold out quickly. Tofu Mousse? Seriously?

As soon as he mentioned it, I enthusiastically imagined the concept and thought to myself “Now THAT’S something I GOTTA’ TRY!” So I immediately phoned Aloha Tofu Factory to inquire about it, and they told me they have a “lady” who comes in every Thursday to make it right there at the factory, which currently is the only place to get it, while supplies last.

Flavors vary by week, so far including usually two of the following: Chocolate, Pineapple, Strawberry and Cheesecake. In the case today, the first two mentioned made for this past week are what I have to share with you.

Getting right to it, let’s start with the Aloha Tofu Chocolate Tofu Mousse…

Aloha Tofu Chocolate Tofu Mousse ingredients: Tofu (non-GMO whole soybeans, water, glucono delta Iacone and calcium sulfate), soymilk, sugar, heavy whipping cream, chocolate, gelatin.

Each Aloha Tofu Mousse container – including a neat, handy-dandy fold-away serving spoon – is 4 ounces and costs $2.75 each direct at the factory, including tax. GREAT deal!!!

So how is it? The bomb. Oh… EM… GEEEEEE……. THE BOMB!!!!!!!

It’s like a gritty, airy milk chocolate pudding, with “airy” being the key word, where you know it’s fashioned to resemble, if not be a mousse.

If you didn’t know the main ingredient was tofu, you wouldn’t think that at all, except for that gritty texture which will have you saying, “there’s something different about this, but I can’t put a finger on it”. You know what I mean?

What’s even cooler besides, well EVERYTHING, including the name “Tofu Mousse”, is that their handy-dandy covered container includes this neat little articulated folded plastic spoon. Dig that!

I give Aloha Tofu’s Chocolate Tofu Mousse 4 SPAM Musubi. Oishii-yo!

Moving on, let’s try the Aloha Tofu Pineapple Tofu Mousse…

There you see the included micro-spoon folded in half, included under the cover, sitting atop a factory SEALED plastic wrap. So cool!

Aloha Tofu Pineapple Tofu Mousse ingredients: Tofu (non-GMO whole soybeans, water, glucono delta Iacone and calcium sulfate), cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, lemon juice, pineapple in heavy syrup.

Looks creamy. Let’s try it…

Dude. DUDE. DUDE!!!!!!! I rarely swear, but pardon the “French”, this $#it is #uckin’ CRAZY OISHII!!!!

There’s small chunks of real pineapple in it, with this almost sexy, unctuous, silky ‘n thigh creamy, yet finely gritty texture. Once it hits your tongue, you get this BLAST of what essentially tastes like the baddest @ss pineapple cheesecake you’ve EVER tasted. F’in AWESOME!

I think what sets it apart from your “standard” mousse is that subtle protien-rich undertone from the tofu. You know it’s there, yet you don’t know it’s there.

Bottom line, if you want a “mouthgasm” in a plastic cup, this is it. Nuff said. 10 Ume Musubi for Aloha Tofu’s Pineapple Tofu Mousse.

Aloha Tofu should seriously consider mass-producing a Tofu Mousse Variety Pack, including every flavor available and sell them by CASES at Costco. Guaranteed sell out. Guaranz!!!

Even cooler, the Uchinanchu worker helping me at the factory threw in a complimentary bag of Aloha Tofu Aburage (fried bean curd) and a block of “hot off the press” Firm Aloha Tofu! How even, even COOLER is that!!! I think she was attracted to me because I could speak sukoshi Nihongo. LOL!!! Ariga-dofu!!

A few quick shots around the factory.

Hot-off-the-press Aburage.

Cleaning up.

The bad @ss new “Voodoo Blue” FJ Cruiser posing at Aloha Tofu Factory on Akepo Lane, a bad @ss area of downtown Kalihi. lol

Summing it up, don’t walk, but on Thursday (through Saturday, while supplies last), RUN to Aloha Tofu Factory and get your hands on their factory-fresh Tofu Mousse. It truly is delicious, unique and SPECIAL!

Aloha Tofu Factory, Inc.

6.16.12 – 188.6 lbs.
6.23.12 – 189.8 lbs.
6.30.12 – 188.5 lbs.
7.05.12 – 187.5 lbs.
7.22.12 – 183.0 lbs.
8.27.12 – 180.9 lbs.
9.09.12 – 177.0 lbs. (BMI score = 26.1)
Total weight loss: 30.0 lbs.

Final target weight – 160 lbs.
**5’9″ height, male

Pomai Souza of TastyIslandHawaii.com with U.S. Congresswoman Mazie Hirono at the Okinawan Festival, Saturday, September 1, 2012

27 thoughts on “Aloha Tofu Mousse

• September 8, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Rest assured, these two cups of Chocolate and Pineapple Aloha Tofu Mousse will knock the socks off Alton’s Tofu Pie. However now that I think about it, an Aloha Tofu Haupia Okinawan Sweet Potato Mousse Pie sounds like a GREAT way to go, too. Perhaps with a Honey-glazed Macadamia Nut, super-buttery shortbread crust? Thanks for the tip!

I love “Good Eats”, BTW.

• September 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm

My mom buys that stuff. So good! I think the tofu makes it taste healthy in a good way, like lighter or something. You gotta try the original cheesecake; I liked it better than the chocolate. Never had pineapple before. I can’t wait to try it!

• September 9, 2012 at 11:19 am

Just by what you said, it got me thinking Aloha Tofu should try marketing a line under the name Aloha Tofu Smoothie™. Easy to bottle, easy to go. Catchy name! How you figgah?

• September 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Not a huge fan of Aloha Tofu. I prefer House soft for my pork tofu(which also comes in a more convenient size for singles and couples). Of course I love Aloha local style cone sushi Aburagi. And I am a huge fan of Hawaii based manufacturing so I hope this takes off. I hope a fast food chain, Costco or Walmart pics it up. I know my wife and daughter will like it.

• September 10, 2012 at 5:42 am

I’m still deciding what to make with the aburage. I’m thinking of stuffing them with ground misoyaki Ahi, mixed with green onions, and then simmering it in oden broth that has daikon, carrots, hasu and kombu maki. How you figgah’, sounds good, eh?

• September 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm

now that does sound good…but rich.

• September 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I didn’t get any mousse, but I did buy a couple of the soft tofu, in the same container with ponzu and the folding spoon (that spoon is the bomb, no doubt). That little container of tofu is perfect to keep in the hotel fridge for when you want a healthy snack. I wish they sold them at ABC stores. Probably not their target audience, but with as many Asian tourists as there are in Waikiki, they might not do too bad with them. I’ll have to try the mousse next year. I also bought two of the dish towels; they were so cute, packaged in a tofu tub, and I love their old-style logo. Also bought the reusable tofu tub, though of course, I won’t have the opportunity to use it as intended. :(

• September 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Glad you enjoyed the “Yushi-dofu”…! Yuri and Shea (the two cousins in charge of the Country Store) have been very open to letting us try out different items in the Country Store. We’re looking forward to doing even more next year!
      Thanks also, for purchasing the kitchen towels…just a little hint, take a close look at the “label” on the towel…it’s been tweaked a little bit.

• September 11, 2012 at 11:33 am

I had the Yushi-dofu when you first brought it out at the Festival two years ago (if you had it last year, I missed it), so I was glad to see it back. I wasn’t kidding about buying it in ABC stores! I noticed the tweaked “nutritional” label on the towel right away. Very cute! I also bought one of the receipe book/insulated cooler packs as a gift for a friend. Looking forward to seeing what you have next year!

• September 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Aloha and mahalo for your kind and wonderfully humorous review of our Tofu Mousse! Although we just re-started this project 3 months ago, we have plans to ramp up production pretty soon…not sure about Costco, but we’re open to everyone’s input! You interested in being our taste tester for new flavors…?

• September 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Aloha Paul,

If you want to link this review on your site, I can replace the censored profanity (which does admittedly add to the exclamation mark) with G-rated words.

I took a cup of the Pineapple and Chocolate Tofu Mousse to work today to share a sampling of at the office, and everyone gave it a thumbs-up! They liked both flavors equally, noting as I noted, the pronounced cheesecake flavor of the Pineapple.

Sure, I’ll take you up on the offer to be your company’s taste tester. Surely the readers here will enjoy hearing about the exciting new flavors! eMail me the details (see address on the About page).

• September 11, 2012 at 7:28 am

OK, now I gots to try those! (Reminds me of Tofutti.) Not sure when I’ll be able to make it out there though.

Speaking of picturesque downtown Kalihi, you ever wander over to Akyth? I swear I’d never find that place if I wasn’t hunting for it.

• September 11, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Akyth supplied the Maki Sushi at the Okinawan Festival. CASES and CASES of the stuff. Never seen so much Maki Sushi in my life! I haven’t personally been to their shop, but sounds like it’s a REAL hole-in-the-wall.

• September 11, 2012 at 8:30 pm

The best Maki sushi in the world is made by Yumi. From Yumi’s in Waimea,
        No sense anyone else try, already. Old school.

• September 11, 2012 at 10:28 am

No Fair! No Aloha Tofu in Alabama! :'((

• September 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Are there any asian markets out there in Alabama? My sister used to live in Missouri, where she said most of the major supermarkets now have a pretty decent selection in their asian foods aisles.

• September 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I did a little recon online as part of my research for my relocation from Kwajalein… there are several Oriental supermarkets in the Huntsville area. Don’t know if they stock any local-kine ingredients.

• September 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Surely not locally-made tofu. That stuff is too perishable, fragile and heavy to ship that far economically.

• September 13, 2012 at 5:57 pm

OK, so I accepted Aloha Tofu President Paul Uyehara’s offer to be their taste tester for their new Tofu Mousse flavors. Where they invited me today to the factory to try one that’s still in “testing phase”, and not for sale yet.

Let me describe now in a somewhat cryptic way how it tastes: I wouldn’t say it was “love at first lick”, and not as intense in the intended namesake flavor it represents as I expected (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing). At least not when it hits the palate for the very first time. Then after the second spoonful did I really “get it”. It also struck me as a bit “fatty”, where I suppose the namesake flavor component, combined with the cream cheese brought that impression out more so than from the other flavors I’ve so far tasted, including now the Strawberry, which is EXCELLENT!

I do think it could use a little more of that “spicy powder” stuff, if you know what I mean. That is, if you’re trying to get it to taste like the pie version of that. The level of sweetness is spot on, so don’t change that. The texture also is spot on, right in line in lightness and “moussiness” with all the other flavors already being sold. Interestingly, of all the ones I’ve tried, this new flavor still in testing phase tastes the most “Tofu-ish” to me. I’ll get second and third opinions tomorrow.

Mahalo for all the other Aloha Tofu goodies as well! I still have yet to try that Okara pastry. Looking forward to it! Will blog it!

Diner “N”, you’re the bomb!

• September 14, 2012 at 7:31 pm

A follow-up: today I took a cup of the “testing phase flavor” sample to work, acquiring input from 3 of my fellow peers on it.

As a consensus, here’s the results…

Don’t change:

• Flavor profile, level of sweetness, spice balance.

Need for improvement:

• Texture: Contrary to what I thought in my first impression, they thought it was too “pudding-like” and “loose” (wet ‘n soggy); needing to be whipped ‘n tightened up a bit, all the while, hence not “Mousse-ey” enough (lacking being light and velvety). Also needs more depth in color; looks too “baby food” like. Food coloring should do it (red and yellow).

Overall, my fellow taste testers today gave your “testing phase” Tofu Mousse a HUGE THUMBS-UP, with the “issues” on texture sheer nitpicking. Overall, add depth in color, make it as “mousse-ey” as possible (“lift” it), and it’s a GO!!! Noreen, I’ll call you for a follow-up.

P.S. They also went absolutely BONKERS for the Strawberry Tofu Mousse… “Mouthgasm” being an understatement!!!!!

• September 28, 2012 at 10:43 am

Arrigatofu Pomai for being our live guinea pig and taste testing a new mousse flavor. We appreciate your feedback! I will pass it on to our “Emperor approved pastry chef” who makes the mousse. If you are in the neighborhood stop by the factory and I’ll give you a taste of another flavor she is working on. Hint…better than Starbucks! Mahalo!

• September 29, 2012 at 7:53 am

Noreen,

“Doufu Itashimashite”!

Huge mahalos for the Okara, and all the other samples you and Paul have shared with me as your “Guinea Pig”. I LOVE that “job”! I’ll surely make the most out of conveying everything you’ve shared with my readers. You folks at Aloha Tofu Factory all ROCK!!!

• September 15, 2012 at 2:23 am

Aloha Pomai! Have been reading your blog for awhile now and congrats on your journey to a healthier you! I relocated to the Big Island about 11 years ago and my parents still live on Oahu. just sent my dad to Aloha Tofu and he purchased 3 each of the pineapple and strawberry. Very onolicious! Unfortunately he threw it in the freezer for awhile so that it would hold up during the flight, so the texture is not quite as creamy as in your pictures. Question – what is the shelf life on this product? Also, I’m wondering if the shelf life has changed, now that it was previously frozen for a bit. I’m hoping you or Paul will have an answer….

• September 15, 2012 at 4:13 am

Dee, mahalos, and EXCELLENT question, that I asked Paul himself. The shelf life of Aloha Tofu Mousse is ONE WEEK in the REFRIGERATOR. DO NOT FREEZE this product, or it will turn grainy, just like cheese. One week shelf life.

You may also want to take note that, the “lady” who as of this point HAND-MAKES each and every Aloha Tofu Mousse every Thursday, early in the morning right there at the factory, was formerly the Pastry Chef for the Emperor and Empress of Japan. Therefore essentially what you’re eating is fit for Japanese Royalty. Call Aloha Tofu Factory and ask Paul or Noreen about it. They’ll tell you the details. Tell them Pomai sent ya’!