6 thoughts on “Press: 4th Annual “Up in Smoke Cook-off”

• July 18, 2012 at 1:37 am

We’ll be at this one for sure. You throwing your hat in the ring this year Pomai??

• July 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I’d love to get into the Smoked Fish (namely Marlin and Salmon) category, but I’m far from being a master at that craft. There’s a trick in how you brine, dry and smoke fish, and I don’t have that down at the moment. But I will practice and maybe enter next year!

I’m THINKING about making an exception to eat meat (pork, beef and chicken) just for this event day at least so I can try the samples in order to explain it when I cover it on this blog. We’ll see. I’ll definitely have my camera fired up and ready!

• August 3, 2012 at 5:55 pm

A thought……

When we go wine tasting, we like to hit as many wineries as possible but if you let yourself be carried away at the first wineries, you’ll never make it to the eleventh with a decent palate. Or the ability to drive.

Our secret: don’t swallow, just taste.

You want to ‘taste’ a bunch of smoked meats and be guilt free about it? Just taste. Just be discrete on the other part.

Oh..bring your own poi. To cleanse the palate.

• July 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm

We used to smoke serious quantities of marlin. The fishermen would bring in the chunks for half for us half for them. Trade. Also smoked a lot of tucanare, peacock bass, and big mouthed bass I caught. Really good. Sausage of course. But fish was the best. Involved a lot of drinking, watching that fire. Pupu and beer. Never saw girls like that hanging out at the smoker though. Hmmm.

• July 19, 2012 at 5:32 am

Pat, sounds like you folks had a fish smokin’ fest! When an aunt of mine lived in Alaska, she used to send us smoked Halibut Sausage, which was by far one of the BEST sausages I ever had. What I would give to get some again! Now I think you’re onto something, as I don’t recall seeing anyone at the local meat smoking competitions doing smoked sausage. Bingo! But, sshhh, don’t let anyone in on our “secret weapon” for the win! He he.

I had to look up Tucunare, as I’ve never heard of it before, where come to find out it’s one in the same as Peacock Seabass, a freshwater game fish. Apparently you can catch Tucunare right here on Oahu in Lake Wilson… although those might glow neon green. lol

• August 7, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Get ready for the best goat meat around! Call it Caldereta-Chevon-Cabrita-Kilawen- we have em live-fresh-healthy-100% natural! Juicy n tasty n hot off the grill!