Revolution 2012: A Typical Meal

Yes, fruits are a typical meal that lasts throughout the day for me. That platter above – which is about how much of the stuff I eat daily (maybe a little less than that) –  includes fresh-cut Solo Papaya, Strawberries, Cantaloupe and Seedless Grapes. Of course I switch things up, depending what looks good at the farmers market and grocery store.

Along with fruits, providing the foundational base to my food pyramid are lots ‘n lots of veggies. With that, a typical trip at the Saturday Kapiolani Community Colllege Farmers Market yields this spread in my reusable shopping bag….

That “spread O’ greens” includes from left to right: Chinese Parsley (Cilantro), Nakatani Farms Watercress (my favorite!), Pak Choy, Choy Sum, while above that is fresh dill weed, ginger and Smoked Marlin. Woo!

Along with EVOO and TONS of garlic, I use the fresh dill to flavor pasta, as well as to top my Bagel Lox (smoked salmon on a cream cheese-topped bagel); both of which dishes I eat in moderation as my special “treat”.

I make salads in your typical variations, including Manoa or Romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, plus I love brussel sprouts on it, as well as a sprinkling of chopped olives, nuts and cheese for added dimension. My favorite dressing is Italian and the Oriental Sesame Dressing Costco sells, while on weekends as a “treat”, a good quality rich ‘n creamy Thousand Islands hits the spot. The Tropics Oriental Dressing is another fave’ of mine, of which I’ll add wonton chips and that’s it.

As for Chinese Parsley, I pretty much garnish all my dishes with it. It even goes great with Smoked Marlin!…

Since I’ve eliminated red and white meat, including beef, pork and chicken (or anything related) out of my diet, my protein source now includes fish (the healthy “meat”!), eggs, vegetables and soybean, including edamame (steamed soybeans), tofu and natto…

I really don’t understand why Natto is so maligned. Other than its “snot-like” texture (which I really dig!), all it really tastes like is smoked beans, in my opinion. Absolutely OISHII on a bed of hot rice, the latter of which I keep to a minimum, with just enough to accompany the Natto beans. Yumm-ohz for “Snotty Beans” lol

I’m actually currently using up all my white rice, which when that runs out, I’ll replace it with the much healthier brown rice. Same for pasta, which I’ll convert to the brown Whole Wheat variety, where Costco sells it. I already only eat 100% whole wheat bread, particularly for my tuna and egg salad sandwiches.

Along with Chinese Parsley and/or Green Onion, my meals usually also includes Tsukemono, which are Japanese Pickled (preserved) vegetables. The ones shown above served with the Natto are Daikon (Turnip) and Beni Shoga (ginger).

I keep my highest protein consumption (soy, fish and eggs) reserved for lunch, while for dinner after I workout, I go back to veggies, such as this serving of wok stir-fried (not deep fried!) Pak Choy….

That’s about three dinners worth for me. The way I make my  Pak Choy (or Choy Sum) is simply by chopping it into bite-size pieces and stir-frying it in a wok with sesame oil, CHOKE ginger, garlic, along with Oyster Sauce, Shoyu and Salt ‘n Pepper. That’s it. I top it with sliced green onions and Chinese parsley. Here on that plate I added cherry tomatoes for color and added flavor profile. Nice. I tell you, the Oyster Sauce really makes it taste “meaty”, so you don’t miss that actual element at all. At least I don’t. The somewhat rubbery texture of the leafy part of the Pak Choy also lends a meat-like feel to the dish.

Back to lunch, another fave’ for me is Ochazuke…

I also sometimes go on Shrimp Cocktail “binges”….

I’m also a huge Kamaboko (Japanese Fish Cake) fan, with its only drawback being that it’s high in sodium. Protein-load on Kamaboko “Sashimi”, a.k.a. “Poor Man’s Sashimi” and I’m good!

That would be sliced Amano brand (Hilo) Kamaboko, plated over a bed of thinly-sliced cabbage, served with a side of shoyu and wasabi (choke da’ wasabi!).

I also often get my groove on now with some Somen Salad action…

Sans the Charsiu (Chinese Roast Pork) of course (that’s from a previous Tasty Island entry).

For both breakfast AND late night snack,  cereal with fruit and 2% milk is my go-to game…

That there is Kashi’s “Go Lean” Whole Grain cereal, which I of course buy the bulk box from Costco. I LOVE Costco! I HATE shopping, but I LOVE Costco! lol

I’ll share more “Revolution 2012” meals in specifics in upcoming posts, including recipes if I have any I think you might be interested in making yourself.

Reviewing once again a typical “Revolution 2012” meal I’ve custom-tailored for myself to follow goes pretty much like this (some of which not mentioned previously):

Breakfast: Fresh fruit with cereal or yogurt, plus one 16 oz. cup of hot Green Tea.
Morning snack: Fresh fruit and/or roasted nuts and/or dried fruits (raisins, craisins, plums, apricots, banana), plus one 16 oz. cup of hot Green Tea.
Lunch: Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich or Tuna Sandwich (substitute Mayo’ with EVOO) on whole wheat bread with Chinese Parsley or Ochazuke with Salmon, or Somen Salad or Natto with Rice (about 1 cooked cup of the latter) or Tofu Watercress Salad or Shiitake Mushroom, Basil and Olive Pasta (I’ll share the recipe later). Any dish I eat that has rice with is always accompanied with Tsukemono (either Ume, Daikon, Beni Shoga or Kim Chee Cucumber), plus one 16 oz. cup of hot Green Tea.
Afternoon snack: Fresh fruit and/or roasted nuts and dried fruits or popcorn (light butter and salt), plus one 16 oz. cup of hot Green Tea.
Dinner: Steamed Broccoli flavored with EVOO and Sea Salt or Tofu Salad or Chinese Cabbage Stir-Fry. Tsukemono and Miso Soup or Oden served on the side, plus one 16 oz. cup of hot Green Tea.
Evening/late-night snack: Fresh fruit with cereal or yogurt or popcorn or boiled peanuts or steamed edamame or Häagen-Dazs Mango Sorbet (<I LOVE that stuff!).
Weekend Treat: Fully-loaded Baked Potato sans bacon bits and/or Bagel Lox  and/or Shoyu Ramen (no Chashu) and/or Ahi Poke from Ono Seafood  and/or Nigiri Sushi from Kozo on Kapuhulu. I also on occasion get a Large Fries from McDonald’s and Filet-O-Fish Sandwich, the only two things I like from there; the latter of which about as “bad” as I get. He he.

Workout regimen: Jog for 1 hour after work daily. Every other day, weight train “livingroom style” for 1 hour at night while watching TV and/or YouTube. Swim at the beach on weekends.

Pomai’s “Revolution 2012″ weight log**
5.05.12 – 207.0 lbs.
5.27.12 – 195.8 lbs.
6.02.12 – 194.6 lbs.
6.03.12 – 194.0 lbs. (BMI score – 28.6)
Target weight for 6.30.12 – 187 lbs.
Final target weight – 160 lbs.

**5’9″ height, male.

The Tasty Island related links:
Revolution 2012: The Meal Plan
Revolution 2012: Going Green

24 thoughts on “Revolution 2012: A Typical Meal

• June 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Be aware the body will stop losing weight at various points as it stabilizes itself. Think of it as hitting different plateaus on the way downward. Don’t get discouraged if you stay on a plateau for a week and nothing seems to be working but it is! I try to lose 1 pound every two to three weeks as I think with me that is sufficient with my life style and body also having to purchase a new smaller wardrobe when things get too loose!! LoL!

I am adding more Korean style home made banchan and Japanese tsukemono to my meals. I’ve got two great tsukemono recipe books that give me an enormous amount of options. I try to balance my meals with daily Wii exercising.

There is nothing for Korean grocery stores as far as I known on the leeward side (we’re country out here) which means I’ll have to drive into city for hard to get ethnic food supplies. Don Quijote in Waipahu didn’t have what I was looking for to try a new Korean recipe.

I’ve been making my own pasta, wraps, skins and noodles for a very long time. I had a standalone pasta maker but when I moved to Honolulu I gave it up and purchased 2-pasta making attachments to my kitchen Aid mixer. Coupled with my Cuisinart food processor I can make a pound of fresh Italian style pasta in 30 min. Cup of flour, one egg, EVOO, pinch of kosher salt and pulse for 20 sec till it forms a ball, wrap in cling wrap and let rest in refrigerator then run through pasta maker. Cook and done!! I can make 13 different pastas and noodles before I start getting into filled pastas like ravioli or dumplings. Fresh pasta or noodles cook in about 3 min and you know what is in it because you made it and it taste so ono!!

• June 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I’m fully aware of “the plateau”, and anticipate hitting it some time soon. So far my weight-loss progress is quite steady, and at a healthy rate. I’m close to having to go down one pants size.

Being you’re into Korean Banchan, surely Palama Market is on your list, as they have everything you need, including an AMAZING banchan “bar”. I freekin’ LOVE banchan! The Korean style shoyu potatoes are my weakness.

Making my own pasta is “too much work” (lol). I’ll stick with the 100% whole wheat spaghetti from Costco. I practically DRINK Extra Virgin Olive Oil. LOVE THE STUFF!

• June 3, 2012 at 9:21 pm

After reading your adventures in Korean restaurants in Honolulu, I started looking at the food and found them to be on the healthy side. I have found a number of really good blog sites and have been going through the recipe lists with photos. They look real easy, not complicated and quick which, as a single, us guys don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen unless we are trying to impress!

I even found a Korean recipe for Manul Changachi (pickled garlic in soy sauce) which got my taste buds watering plus I found out how to peel a whole bulb of garlic in about 10 seconds looking at the video.

I am just starting to explore Korean cuisine. I saw the name Palama Market a few times on Google so I’ll have to drive into city and spend a day exploring.

I can’t believe back on the mainland I’d drive 2 ½ hrs. one-way for a pizza and I move to Hawaii leeward side and can’t think of driving 45 min into downtown Honolulu! You know this is what H-1 and the country does to you!! Lol.

• June 4, 2012 at 5:47 am

Ken, Palama Market is anything and EVERYTHING Korean. It’s AWESOME! There’s two locations, with the original one located on Dillingham Blvd., across from City Square (Satellite City Hall). While their newer location is on Makaloa Street, on the corner of Kalakaua Ave. (Mauka side), near the Kaheka Don Quijote. While there, be sure to check out their takeout restaurant, which is by far one of the BEST DEALS in town for AWESOME Korean food. The Kalbi rocks! When I achieve my weight goal, that’s probably one of the first “meats” I’m going back to. You also gotta’ try the Pajeon, which is a Korean “Pancake” that includes the likes of chives and imitation crab. Good stuff!

Here’s a link to an archived blog post I did on Palama Market:

So funny on your sentiment about driving into “town”. For me, driving from Waikiki to Pearl City is “far”. lol When we were in San Francisco, I couldn’t believe how long it took just to drive out to Napa Valley.

• June 4, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Mahalo for the info, I will be visiting Palama Market on Dillingham as this location seems to be the best according to everything I’ve read! I have a laundry list of basic authentic Korean kitchen pantry ingredients I am looking for.

I was briefly in Japan, Hong Kong and China mainland during my military days (AF flyboy during Nam); my father was sent to China via the UN representing U.S.A. on a 6-week mission and my departed wife spent 3-weeks in Japan invited by Ministry of Japan and fully funded 5-stars through the Japanese Fulbright Memorial Fund.

I got a brief taste of original cuisine during my visits which queued my taste buds to real Asian cuisine. When my departed wife came back she was in love with Japanese Negiyaki (scallion pancakes) which is a variation of Japanese okonomiyaki and consistently cooked them for me at home. That is why the largest library of recipe cookbooks in my house leans towards Asian cooking (Chinese and Japanese).

Your recommendation that I try the Pajeon (Korean pancake) is duly noted and taken in high regard for your suggestion. It looks like a variation of Chinese and Japanese. I am already hooked on Korean Kalbi which I make on my table-top grill with chef’s single burner gas stove that I use for my pressure cooker (not as often as I would like—think weight control).

A very good gateway to Korean food blogs with a great number of how-to-cook-it-included-photos I found is: http://koreanfoodgallery.com/

There are a lot of vegetarian recipes on this website and an enough recipes in different categories to keep my taste buds tingling for over maybe 6-months! So far the recipes I’ve tried are very quick and simple and very tasty! Of course one must remember the presented recipes may or may not have been altered from original Korean classical or regional recipe (which Hawaii Regional Cuisine substitutes ingredients does due to local availability) and the recipe blogger’s taste preferences.

Now I have a reason to drive into city so I’ll have to combine any other things I have thought of. Into town after 9 AM and out town before 3 PM or stay till after 6 PM before heading back to Westside.
            Enjoy!!!

• June 4, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Ken, what did you fly in Nam? F4s used to be stationed at Kameohe Marine Base when they were in active duty. Noisy as hell on landing approach compared with today’s fighters, but INCREDIBLY quick when at full military power on takeoff.

If you like Pajeon and Scallion Pancakes, you gotta’ try the Chive Jun at Ah Lang, a.k.a. “Angry Korean Lady”. Look up the reviews of that place on Yelp. My coworker recently made Zucchini Jun, by simply thinly slicing zucchini and dipping it in in Korean Pancake Mix, then egg wash, then pan-frying it. Was ono!

I just checked out that KoreanFoodGallery site you linked. OMG, the banchan gallery had me DROOLING! Particularly the Manil Jangatchi (pickled garlic cloves), stir-fried eggplant, pickled king mushroom and rolled omelet and nori slices. Even better that they provide recipes for them! Gonna’ try some of them banchan recipes in the near future and blog them here.

Sounds like you have a real phobia for rush hour traffic on the H1. Who doesn’t?! lol

• June 3, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Yup. Much like the Shintani diet, but the Shintani has much less fruit. Particularly fruits like apples and grapes which have extremely high sugar content and were bred so. Shintanmi likes banana,mango, papaya, in all forms and ripeness. Shintani is also a big fan of sweet potato, both the Hawaii(yellow) and Okinawan.Steamed. the Hawaiian is much moister, so is far easier to use as a starch. do not forget stuff like squid luau (make big pot, freeze in serving size), taro, and poi(one of the few processed foods allowed, lomi salmon (small serving for relish on rice instead of shoyu), Chinese fish cake or oio lomi lomi, sea food laulau( Opah, mahi, scallop, shrimp etc. don’t forget the butterfish or won’t have the taste). Again, you make a bunch then freeze serving sizes. Heck, you save so much money not eating out you can buy a bag scallops and a case of lobster at Costco. Sounds expensive, but the lobster is $8.50 a serving. Remember, dietary cholesterol is different than serum. It is digested. Cheaper than a decent sized ribeye. A few suggestions.
    Been there.

• June 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I was actually leaning towards the Shintani diet, but decided to custom-fit it exactly for my own personal taste. Hence Pomai’s “Revolution 2012 Diet”.

• June 4, 2012 at 6:16 am

Thanks for showing us your diet and workout regimen. I hope this will be inspirational for me. At the very least I’ll be adding dancing to the Scissor Sisters’ music for exercise.

• June 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm

SS is highly underplayed on the radio and underrated. IMO one of the best pop bands out right now. Jake reminds of a cross between Elton John and Barry Gibb, while “Ana Matronic” lends the perfect accompanying vocals. They just released a new album last week.

• June 4, 2012 at 10:10 am

long time no speak bruddah pomai! while i will miss the delicious and calorific entries of past…i must commend you on your new goal of getting healthy!! and it’s no easy task when surrounded by such ono kine grindz! at my largest….i was 265. 5’10” def not good. that was about 4 years ago. i’m down now to 210….and while i lift & play a lot more baseball/softball….i am going to shoot for a goal of 185lbs. keep up the good work pomai, and cheers to a healthier you!

• June 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Howzit Raph’, and mahalo for all the cool sentiments and positive vibe. Right back at ya’, bro’! Yeah, 265 at 5’10 is certainly not good. Congrats on shedding 55 lbs. That’s a lot! I’m at 13 of 42 pounds in total loss to reach my ideal BMI.

• June 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Pomai, take all those greens and put them in the blender with a mango and make a green smoothie out of them!

• June 4, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I like smoothies. My only issue is cleaning up the food processor. I’m not sure how well mango would go with raw Choy Sum and Watercress in a smoothie. Doesn’t sound too good. lol

• June 5, 2012 at 1:02 pm

AWESOME! Such an inspirtaion! Thank you for sharing your meals

• June 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

In Nam I was not a jet jockey in the AF but an RO on anyone of the old WWII prop aircraft mainly C-47s AK old DC-3 Gooney birds originally built as gliders for WWII. You could point them into a 60kt head wind and they would lift their tails and try to takeoff. The only aircraft in AF inventory max takeoff weight was never determined as you could fill them with lead and given enough runway it would take off.

We were really overweight one time flying out of Hong Kong Kai Tak International Airport and over shot the Boeing 474 jumbo jet abort marker before we able to rotate off the runway. If we couldn’t stop next stop would have been Victoria Harbour as the runway was extended out into the harbour to accommodate large jets.

Hong Kong Kai Tak International Airport was one of the craziest airports in the world to fly in and out of as you lined up on a red/white checkerboard painted on the mountain and flew at it. When aircraft marker beacon beeped you’d make a tight 47 degree turn and glide down through high-rise building on final approach to land. Hong Kong Kai Tak International Airport in now closed and replaced with a newer and safer airport.

At my Nam AF base there was 1 squadron of F-100 jets nicknamed the “lead sled” as on flame-out they just didn’t glide well pretty much like a brick. 1-squadron of B-57 and 1-squadron of RAAF Australian MK20 Canberra bombers; the rest were all prop jobs C-123, C-119 super spooky gunships, C-47 spooky gunships, C-47 plus 01E, 02A, OV-10 forward air controller aircraft and rescue helicopters. Besides the Australians we had a battalion of White Horse Division South Koreans on base. There was no U.S. Army or Marines at my base.

The Korean Food Gallery website links you to all these other Korean food bloggers with great photos and recipes. http://korean-cuisine.blogspot.com/ has good recipes by photos but also a great Korean Cooking 101 basic pantry list in photos and Time Saving Cooking Tips.

Another great website is: http://www.trifood.com/home.asp which has recipes by photos and an education section on Korean phrases to English and a glossary of Korean words to English.

Easy Korean Food: http://www.easykoreanfood.com/index.html has good photos and recipes.

Maangchi: http://www.maangchi.com/ has 49 Korean vegetarian recipes. A world-wide Korean store finder (yes Palama Market is listed) and a photo list of Korean ingredients cross linked to recipes.

• June 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Aloha Pomai! When I was trying to lose weight from 180 lbs to about 140 lbs in six months, I started eating oatmeal for breakfast. Not the flavored instant oatmeal, but the regular Quaker oats. One minute in the microwave, topped with ground flax seed, soymilk, and raisins. I also started making smoothies ala Alton Brown from Good Eats. He was trying to lose weight too and made this smoothie:

4 oz acai juice
    4 oz soy milk
    4 oz frozen strawberries
    4 oz frozen blueberries or other fruit

So I started drinking that for lunch. So with the oatmeal for breakfast, smoothie for lunch, and a sensible dinner, along with 45m to an hour of exercise at least 5 days a week, I was able to drop 40 lbs in about six months. And I’ve kept it off, even down to around 130 now.

Good luck! Looking forward to reading future blogs.

BTW, click on my website link to see what I looked like 50 lbs ago! I really should put up current blog post/photo of myself!

• June 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm

You are making healthy eating as appetizing as all the heavier foods of your old posts. Great job, please keep it up!

• June 5, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Thanks! Actually, that’s one reason I didn’t want to follow anyone else’s diet program to the “T” per se, but go with what I enjoy most, and know I won’t fall of the wagon with be being “bored” by it. For me, it’s predominantly Japanese food (always a good choice for going healthy and oishii!), switched up with lightened-up American and Euro-Mediterranean.

• June 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Aloha Dave,

Mahalo for the diet tip! I’ll certainly add in smoothies such as the one you recommended. Forgot to mention that I also eat hot oatmeal cereal as well, however I need to get the plain one, as I still have the Quaker instant variety pack that’s (relatively speaking) packed with sugar and salt in it. OK for maintenance, but not for weight loss.

I had originally planned to lose a pound a week, with my target goal of 165 lbs. achieved the first week of September. But it looks like I’m going at a much faster rate right now. That is until if/when I hit that plateau Ken mentioned.

I checked your blog, and I only see travel photos. Is there a particular “before and after” post you did? I couldn’t find it.

I’ll certainly show you folks a before and after body pic of myself (it’s still tough for me to look at the HORRIFIC “before” photo!), which I can say already looks quite dramatic in the mirror with just the 14 lbs. I shed, plus the weight training I’ve been doing to rip up and bring back definition. That said, fortunately with folks’ “before and after” photos of their weight loss journey, the “after” photo usually totally redeems the “before” pic. At least, that’s what I’m hoping.

• June 6, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Nope, I didn’t post an “after” photo but I guess I really should, since the last post I did was from 2009, before the weight loss. I was blogging every day on our road trip, then took a break and almost a year later, finished up the road trip blog.

I know what you mean about seeing that “before” pic. People see my blog and say, wow, you were fat! =)

• June 9, 2012 at 9:29 am

People have already been commenting to me in person that they notice I’ve lost weight. I have to tell them I’m not on crack. LOL Although I practically feel like it with the caffeine in all the green tea I drink. Plus of course the “natural high” of feeling better/lighter/agile/clearer-headed.

• June 6, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Pomai, my hat’s off to you for making your healthy changes. Having grown up in Hawaii, I know how hard it is to eat healthier when you’re surrounded by so much good food and such a foodie culture. I didn’t start getting serious about working out until I hit my 40’s, and I only started doing that to increase my stamina so I could keep up with a job and active family. Now I can’t imagine life without exercise. I’m looking forward to hearing about your progress — Please continue sharing your delicious and HEALTHY adventures with food in your outstanding blog!

• June 9, 2012 at 9:24 am

Nah, not so hard when you’re committed. Plus, there’s always healthy options, no matter where you dine (like, not eating at all if they don’t have veggie options LOL).

As I just mentioned in the most current post, it’s them darned BBQ BURGERS that tempt me. Oh, just the smell of them on the grill tempts me. ;-O