18th Annual Filipino Fiesta

The 18th Annual Filipino Fiesta took place last Saturday, May 8th, 2010 at Kapiolani Park. Following is a pictorial walkthrough of the event. The booth preceding each photo set of food or other items are where they were located.

Enjoy!

The next booth didn’t have a name, but were serving the following Thai dishes…

These folks were selling tray loads of satay sticks.

I didn’t know Hibachi San was part of Panda Express. Learn something new every day!Hibachi San in Ala Moana is pretty good!

This gentleman’s name is Hugo, who owns all the pieces on display in the Cordillera region booth…

In case you’re wondering, he’s half American-German, and half Filipino, and speaks both languages fluently. I should have brought a notepad with me, as he explained the use and meaning of each piece to me, but I can’t remember most of what he said. Next time I’ll be sure to write it all down!

Honolulu City Council Chairman and Mayoral candidate Dunovan Dela Cruz (in blue jeans and aloha shirt) gives Tinikling a try…

A “stitched” panoramic shot of Diamond Head, looking from Kapiolani Park that I took before heading back to the car…

Well, that’s all folks. As far as things I tried, I picked up a plate of Dinuguan and Sweet & Sour Pig’s Feet from Claire’s Lunch Place booth, which the Sweet & Sour Pig’s Feet were especially masarap-sarap (really delicious)! I also got some Chichuron and, yes, Balut! But we’ll save my Balut eating experience (because it is an experience) for another day. lol

Check out The Tasty Island coverage of last year’s 17th Annual Filipino Fiesta here.

Mabuhay!

9 thoughts on “18th Annual Filipino Fiesta

• May 16, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Love the photos and the fact that there were so many different regions represented. And, yes, as soon as I saw that crockpot filled with balut, I wanted to find out whether you ate any. I’ll be waiting for that post. :)

• May 17, 2010 at 6:01 am

Pomai, too bad I miss going to festival busy with work at home. Friends said I should stop doing that on my day off. I am just work person which make it hard to meet people. I notice no dish that a blogger wrote about Torcino. I had it before it not bad.

Pomai if you wonder why I have new email due strange emails send to me also so I change it for the third time. This happen to lot of people I know.

• May 17, 2010 at 6:17 am

Pomai dude, what kind of camera did you use to these photos are awesome. Is it with camcorder too? I need to get a good camera for my research into food photos. I have cousins in California who are half Chinese and Filipino. A multi culture family like yours. They told me to go into online catering business dealing with pastries first on Amazon.com. Made to order so it fresh when mailed out.

Sorry to read of problems you’re having with your email address but I get that off and on also. As long it not like Amy that other blogger had it not too bad. I just delete it too much of touble to change address for me.

• May 17, 2010 at 6:17 am

Great post! I shouldn’t have read this so early in the morning. I so hungry now!

• May 17, 2010 at 8:50 am

I saw on your entry Tocino at 5.00 so Patty overlooked it. Great food. Wonder was fried chicken Filipino style? Were there Hala Hala Drinks?

• May 17, 2010 at 10:48 am

Have seen the food and saw Tocino there. Patty must have overlook your entry on it. Wonder if the fried chicken was Filipino style . Can’t remenber seeing hola hola drinks .

• May 17, 2010 at 11:18 am

My Filipino friends like certain dishes with garlic fried rice and did not any around at the fest.. They have at home tocino with garlic fried rice and taste better with it along with eggs.

• May 17, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Pomai, friends been trying to get me to eat Balut on a dare still I have no courage yet for it. Andrew Zimmern I am not. How about you?

• May 17, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Michael, wait ’til you see my next post. Lots of “fun”!

Kimo, I didn’t realize I took a photo of a Tocino plate. If I knew that at the time, I would have got that.

Carol, salamat po!

Kelike, same still camera I’ve been using for a long time now, which is my trusty Sony H5. When this breaks, I’m getting a DSLR; most likely a Canon. As for the eMail problem, today was a good day.

Patty, if you aren’t already, you should join Yelp. They organize lots of gatherings at local restaurants and nightclubs with fellow local “Yelpers”, where you can meet people with similar interests, including FOOD!

Jenny, don’t worry, that follow-up post is coming up shortly!