Wheah' Stay Da' Beef?

McDonald’s ‘Big N’ Tasty’ Burger

Diner A and E picked up a couple burger combo’ meals from Mickey-D’s the other day. Which otherwise would have been a non-event had it not been for a closer inspection of Diner E’s Big Mac that lead us to ask: “Where’s the beef!? Or in pidgin English, “Wheah’ Stay Da’ Beef!?”

Remember that famous Wendy’s television commercial back in the 80’s? If not, here’s a YouTube refresher….

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0

That ‘Big ‘n Tasty’ Burger Diner A is holding up there in the first photo certainly’s got BEEF. Now let’s check out Diner E’s Big Mac…

McDonald’s Big Mac (with one bite taken out)

OK, that side looks fine. But look what’s hiding (or NOT hiding) beneath the bun…

Hah? Eh Ronald, brah, wheah’ stay da’ beef!!!???

Last time we checked, a ROUND-SHAPED BUN was fitted with a ROUND-SHAPED BEEF PATTY. NOT OVAL! Look at how much (saddle) bun area is “naked”! Well, unless all you care to bite into is their “Special Sauce”.

Here from another angle…

And no, Diner E didn’t pull the patty out and eat it by itself so it looks lacking like this. This is exactly how it was shipped!

In comparison, here’s Jack in the Box’s Big Mac knock-off, the ‘Bonus Jack’…

Notice the two beef patties pretty much fill the entire space between the bottom, middle (saddle) and top bun, and it retains this all the way around. Best of all, the ‘Bonus Jack Combo’ was just $3.99 including fries and drink! That offer is no longer available though (I think).

This in comparison to the Big Mac Combo (including large fries and drink) Diner E got that he paid something like $6 or $7 for. For that amount, I’d be screamin’ ‘n yellin’ “Where’s the #@$%in’ beef!!!???” lol

While we’re on the subject of multi-tiered burgers, this Double Cheeseburger from Forty Niner Restaurant in Aiea looks mighty beefy and mighty ONO!…

But I haven’t seen anything more insane than Heart Attack Grill‘s “Quadruple Bypass Burger”….

Not only would they need to take me to my car in a wheelchair after eating that, but they’d also have to help me fill out my will. lol

Really though, I just don’t get the concept of stacking a burger twice or three times the size of your head with stuff, making it IMPOSSIBLE to get your mouth around all in ONE BITE. When I eat a burger, I want to taste EVERY ingredient on every layer together at once. The bun, the sauce, the patty, the cheese and the veggies. Not this kine where I need to take a nibble here and a nibble there. A burger just doesn’t taste COMPLETE when having to be eaten like that. I might as well chop this whole thing up, mix it around in a salad bowl and eat it with a fork.

Teddy’s Bigger Burgers’ biggest burger (wow, how’s that for a run-on) is their 18 oz. “Monster Combo”, which my teenage nephew once gulped down within two or three minutes. I could not believe it. It was a sight to behold.

Speaking of Big Macs and mixing things up, McDonald’s Canada locations have been testing the market recently with a new ‘Mac Snack Wrap’…

As you can clearly see and/or assume, they’ve taken a Big Mac, chucked the buns, and instead wrapped the two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions in what else? Not a Crepe, which you’d think, but a soft warm Tortilla. This, all the way up north in Canada. Brilliant or bust? You make the call.

This reminds me once again of the geniuses at “Taco Town”.

So anyhow, if you see three guys picketing in front of various McDonald’s locations on Oahu holding signs that read “Wheah’ Stay Da’ Beef!!!???”, that would be us — and now you know why. lol

14 thoughts on “Wheah' Stay Da' Beef?

• March 20, 2010 at 11:23 am

LOL u know i will admit pomai, i love me a big mac from time to time….however…the lack of beef, as you so astutely pointed out, is really a shame!!!!

• March 20, 2010 at 11:40 am

Wow, that is a pathetically small “patty” (if you can call it that) in the Big Mac! I wonder if that was a slice of beef meant for the Big Wrap Mac. I tried the latter recently and will not be ordering it again. It was two tiny slivers of “beef” with a few shreds of lettuce and cheese wrapped in a flour tortilla. The only thing it shared with the actual Big Mac was the special sauce.

Using your awesome rating system, I would have given it 0 Spams, or maybe even a negative-1. :(

This is why I don’t eat there very often. But you know, when you have keikis, you have to break down and go there now and then!

• March 20, 2010 at 11:47 am

Jenny, wow, -1 SPAM Musubi, eh? “Slivers” of beef patties? Sheesh, is ground beef that much of a commodity issue for them? I suppose with Washington state so close to the border, your McDonald’s locations also serve the Mac Snack Wrap? You know, I’m not even sure whether or not the Hawaii locations have it, as I haven’t been to the Golden Arches in a while now.

Raph, I can’t even remember the last time I’ve had a Big Mac. The only thing I like at McDonald’s is their Filet O Fish (which unfortunately is almost as high in fat as the Big Mac) and Fries. Their salads are good too. IMO, McDonald’s definitely has the BEST FRIES of all the big fast food joints. Next I choose Burger King.

• March 20, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Pomai, I like the basic hamburger with lettuce, tomato ketup, mayo and mustard. Sometime some onion chopped and grill on it. Big and Tasty and Whooper are the ones I go for.

• March 20, 2010 at 4:58 pm

hey pomai:

THe snack wrap is actually only one patty. they actually cut it in half!

• March 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Dan, that’s kinda’ what I figured. Especially for the price. This reminds me of when McDonald’s Hawaii (or Oahu at least) were experimenting serving “plate lunches” based on their sandwiches. They would take their beef, chicken or fish patty/slash whatever it is and serve it with rice and macaroni salad on a plate, along with some kind of gravy. Something like that. I forget the details, as I’ve never bothered to go there and try it.

Amy, a “Whooper” sounds kinda’ scary. lol  But I’m with you on a “basic” burger. Simpler (and reasonably-sized) the better for sure!

• March 20, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Mebbe no beef… but they do fries very well! I’ll actually have their fries with vintage Champagne… of course maybe with some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and white truffle oil sprinkled over the top…

• March 21, 2010 at 5:31 am

Ryan, I’ll have to try that! Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and white truffle oil sprinkled over the top of Mcdonald’s French Fries? Genius! Then again, you could probably cover a shoe with those two ingredients and it’d taste good! lol

• March 21, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Pomai, I’ve had the Mac Wrap in Maryland and it’s good. Less calories than the real thing, only one pattie, but good for a taste of the Big Mac. It’s all about the sauce anyway! Love your blog!!!!

• March 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Actually, mcDonald’s ripped off the Big Mac from JIB, who had the Bonus Jack well before the Big Mac came out.

• March 21, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I can relate to that pathetic patty because the same thing happened to me at the Kahala McDs. Against my better judgment I picked up a Big Mac. My patties looked like somebody had taken a bite of them and they were so salty. The same reasons I stopped eating at McDs all together in Los Angeles. After moving to Japan nostalgia got the better of me or maybe it was the smell of those fries. To my surprise it was actually very good like when I was a kid. A time when they actually had people cooking the food vs. today when they pull things out of a drawer. Japan McDs are always trying to introduce new bigger burgers which most people find repulsive. About a year and a half ago they had a four patty Big Mac. Check out these new burgers – http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/menu/index.html plus their Happy Meal toys are better (scroll down)! My favorite burgers in Honolulu in no particular order are Teddy’s, Kua Aina, W&M Burger and the Counter. Can’t beat the value of W&M. What’s your favorite burger?

• March 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm

They’ve had Mac Snack Wraps here (on O’ahu) since last December. I tried one then (this was just after Christmas ’09), and wasn’t very impressed. I like eating their chicken snack wraps whenever we go there (again, not by my choice, but because of the kids–those Happy Meal toys are a big draw!), so when I saw this new Mac Snack Wrap, I thought I’d try it. Eh. It has that same special sauce as the Big Mac, with the lettuce and the cheese, but to me it just didn’t “match” as a snack wrap. I went back to my chicken snack wraps. :P The chipotle BBQ one with grilled chicken is not that bad. :)

And yeah, I’ve had that experience before with the small patty compared to the size of the bun. It looked like the child’s size hamburger on a big bun. Actually, it was smaller than a child’s size hamburger, because this was the hamburger for my son’s Happy Meal, but still, the hamburger was way smaller than the bun. I swear, there was at least 1/3 of the bottom bun showing when he lifted the top bun off. “Where da beef stay?”, indeed.

• March 21, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Meg, goes to show how long it’s been since I’ve been there. So at least you’ve confirmed Diner E wasn’t the only one to be a “victim” of “Wheah’ Stay Da’ Beef?!!!” lol

Milo, I’m in that same boat that find “bigger” (throw everything on it, including the kitchen sink) burgers TOTALLY REPULSIVE.

As for your question about where’s my favorite burger? The Shack’s Swiss & Shroom Burger RULES!  As simple as it may sound, I think it’s the RED ONION, along with the simplicity of how they CHAR-GRILL and build it that makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE!

I’m also VERY FOND of the burger offerings from The Counter in Kahala, Teddy’s, Duke’s Waikiki and Jameson’s in Haleiwa.

jzeeeeee (did I put enough eee’s in there?), never knew the ‘Bonus Jack’ predated the Big Mac. Learn something new every day!

Paki, never thought the Big Mac was all about the sauce. I always thought it was all about the multi-tiered, 3-level bun setup. That’s deep.

Nate, perhaps that might be called a “Maku Half-u Pounda” in Okinawa?