St. Paddy's Day Pre-Party

Because corned beef and cabbage was on sale so incredibly CHEAP over the last week or so, our gang in the office decided to throw a little St. Patrick’s Day “pre-party” celebration of our own. We took advantage of the 97 cents per pound corned beef tip cuts deal at Foodland, as well as their “how can they make any money on that?” 17 cents per pound local head of cabbage. With that, we had a virtual Corned Beef ‘n Cabbage lunchtime FEAST for just a little over $2 per person between the five of us. Only 2 BUCKS! Sweet.

They say the highly marbleized cheaper point cuts, while having more flavor because of it, can sometimes be TOO fatty compared to the more expensive yet leaner flat cut. Thankfully with the thrifty tips we had chosen for this meal, the ratio of beef to fat was well in favor of beef, so the luck of the Irish was with us!

Diner C saved energy expense and time by precooking the corned beef in her pressure cooker at home, which only took 1 hour for 6 pounds of corned beef tips. Just an hour! This in comparison to the conventional method in a regular pot or dutch oven on the stovetop, which would have taken about 3 hours or more for the same amount. Or 6 hours or more in a slow cooker.

So that there is 6 pounds (a little less actually after cooking down) of fork tender corned beef tips. Notice next to it we have two types mustard: the classic yellow American Mustard and deli style spicy brown mustard. I prefer the spicy brown deli style for the added kick, but yellow works for me too.

And of course a pot full of tender cooked cabbage in the heavily seasoned broth from the corned beef….

Then the other very important part of this dish, the tender potatoes and carrots, which also have been cooked in the same pot with corned beef…

While personally the potatoes are enough starch for me with this dish, in Hawaii there’s always room for rice, and with that we had both white and brown rice joining the party…

Looks like the only thing missing is the Guinness Stout, but we’re “on the clock” so no having that.

Now let’s see how various folks chose to plate their Corned Beef and Cabbage…

Yes, that’s FURIKAKE sprinkled on the white rice there. Furikake Rice with Corned Beef and Cabbage? Only in Hawaii my friends. Only in Hawaii. lol Looks like this diner opted out of the carrots and potatoes.

Here this diner likes to SMOTHER their slabs (that’s really what they were) of Corned Beef with a huge pile of tasty cabbage piled over it…

Finally we have a fan of corned beef served with yellow mustard on it…

Another plating strategy…

This was my plate, where you see I’m experimenting (notice I like to do that?) by adding a Dill Pickle to the party…

The train of thought being that if a Dill Pickle goes great with a deli style Reuben Sandwich, it should work out well with this close relative of his. Did it work? Eh, not really. Perhaps a sweet dill pickle may have been better, but this one was too acidic and overpowered the corned beef. Notice I “gas” (pour a lot of) the Spicy Brown Deli Mustard. The way it brings out the complex seasonings and beefy flavor of the tender corned beef is so delicious. Whoever thought of pairing mustard with Corned Beef is a genius.

Notice I also put Furikake on my white rice just to see how it would match with the dish, and you know what? They paired with each other really well! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised about that, as L&L Hawaiian Barbecue (a.k.a. L&L Drive Inn) holds an annual St. Patrick’s Day Musubi Eating Contest, where the musubi has a slice of corned beef on it, while the rice is covered on all sides with green furikake to tie in with the holiday theme.

Looking at the way each of us served our own plate, this has me thinking: while I haven’t researched it online yet, I wonder if psychologists or scientists have ever studied human personality traits and the way that correlates to how individuals choose and plate their food in a kitchen or at a buffet line? The results of that study might turn out very interesting! On that note, my Teriyaki SPAM Macadamia Nut Ice Cream and now a Dill Pickle with my Corned Beef and Cabbage may indicated I’m a RISK TAKER. lol

What I do know is that sure was a lot of DELICIOUS food for a price that would make any Leprechaun be singin’ de’ luck of the Irish. 5 SPAM Musubi!

Well here’s to a Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all of you tomorrow. Hope you too enjoy your Corned Beef ‘n Cabbage feast!

13 thoughts on “St. Paddy's Day Pre-Party

• March 16, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Pomai, my family and I will enjoyed corned beef and cabbage tomorrow with Irish Soda Bread. I found out in Ireland they eat canned corned beef not the slice ones. Cost for some was reason. I like lamb stew also.

• March 16, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Man, that looks awesome! Alas…. none of the lovely ladies in my household has ANY interest in CB ‘n C whatsoever. Me… I think it’s perfection. So maybe I’ll have to swing by Mulligan’s Pub tomorrow and pony up for a solo plate.

• March 16, 2010 at 5:51 pm

No matter how you plate it, it looks ono! Although I had a good laugh over the rice with furikake on the same plate as the corned beef — Only in Hawaii, yeah?

I just picked up some corned beef tips (I prefer the flat cuts but they were already gone!) and veggie fixings for tomorrow, when I slap that baby into the slow cooker and then go to work. I’m looking forward to coming home and smelling that salty, meaty smell. We don’t eat corned beef often due to the fat and richness, but honoring the Irish gives us a good excuse to do so. ;)

• March 16, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Posts like these are the reason I love, love, love your blog: Tons of big high quality pictures, lots of very detailed commentary and insightful observations, and your crazy sense of humor.

• March 16, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Looks pretty good! I’ll be throwing together corned beef tomorrow as well. I too was going to do a post on it :) Beaten to the punch!

And is that hot mustard I see on the first picture? Good stuff!

• March 16, 2010 at 9:16 pm

At Times the corned beef was 99 cents/pound. My daughter made some last weekend too. And she bought more too. And the Mickey’s Malt Liqour was on sale for real cheap at Foodland!

• March 17, 2010 at 5:53 am

That was a fun, lighthearted post. Not that your usual posts are heavy and deadly serious. But this one had a certain light and lilting charm to it. Perfect for the day. Thanks!

Best from Madison, WI

• March 17, 2010 at 10:10 am

Was that you who recommended Ono Seafood on the Metromix site? If it was……..eh, you somebody ah? haha Thank for the tip. Now I gotta go try them out since my dad closed down his fish market in Aiea eight years ago (Yoro’s Fishmarket) and moved to Vegas.

• March 18, 2010 at 11:03 am

re: your psychologist question; there was a TV show in Japan a few years back to see if different blood types ate a slice of watermelon differently. Though extremely un-scientific, the results were pretty neat! People of same blood types DID indeed attack their watermelons similarly, yet differently from other blood types. I bet the way we arrange our plates is DEF related to psychology. VERY interesting question!

• March 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Julia, I never would have thought about blood types affecting eating behaviors. Interesting. But how “different” can you EAT watermelon? Would one person lick it first, while the next person doesn’t eat first at all, but first picks out the seeds? These are the burning questions we come up with in life. lol

Yoro, indeed that was me! Ono Seafood no ka oi! Check ’em out, now check ’em now go. Hey, did Kevin ever get in contact with you? I gave him your email address.

Alan, I kinda’ thought so myself. Especially the part Julia and I were discussing regarding the psychology of plating. lol

Nate, I know Mickey’s are in green bottles, but is it (or was it) from Ireland? I thought that’s an American beer.

Dale, I wouldn’t say the Spicy Brown Mustard is “hot” like wasabi, but more “zestier, with a more pronounced peppercorn or mustard seed flavor”.

Molly, I think the humor (or at least I hope it comes across as that) is what motivates me as much as the food in doing this. It certainly makes it more fun!

Jenny, ah the slow cooker route. I imagine on LOW heat, it would take the whole day to finish. I can’t believe how fast it cooks in the pressure cooker. Just 1 hour!

But yeah, the idea of Furikake AND rice with Corned Beef is kinda’ whacky in my opinion, but it tasted pretty darned good together, I must admit!

Same here, we don’t eat corned beef that often (like once or twice a year at most), so the excessive fat and salt is hopefully excused by our body for this very occasional treat. I appreciate that much more as well when we do have it.

Marcus, I was checking out the menu online at Murphy’s Bar on Nuuanu street (chinatown), and their Corned Beef and Cabbage with Mash Potatoes is $13! We had a corned beef and cabbage FEAST feeding FIVE people (with leftovers) for less than that!  So regardless what the ladies in your household think, you’re still better off making it at home. I bet they’ll be begging you for a bite of that “faux” pastrami rueben sandwich that you’ll be making with the leftovers the next day!

Kat, ditto. Domo!

Kelike, I got your recipe for Irish Soda Bread. Mahalo. While I’m not a baker, I’ll keep this in mind next time I’m in the store checking out the artisan breads. the new Foodland Farms in Aina Haina may have it. If not, I’ll check Whole Foods.

• March 25, 2010 at 9:43 am

Pomai, I really love your food blog. You are very descriptive with how the food tastes and your photos are great, too. I am still on a mission to make corned beef and cabbage even though St. Patty’s day has passed, and I’m sure it’ll taste as good as you’ve described it here.

• March 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Rebecca, glad you enjoy it. I’m still digging for new adjectives and “hyperdramatic” verbiage to describe how food tastes. lol

Glad you reminded of that. I still have 2 briskets in my fridge that I forgot about! I better put in the freezer soon.