Libby's "Manapua Buns" Update January 2010

Back in August of 2008, we had a gripe with Libby’s, as we felt they were pulling the major “Pake” (stingy) card on us, giving us manapua that looked this…

and this…

and this!…

Brah, I almost had to wake Bruce Lee from his grave fo’ beef wit’ da owner on that one!  What the?!!!!!! lol

Thankfully, I think Libby’s has the BEST steamed BUN of all the manapua shops on Oahu, so regardless of the lack of charsiu filling, they were still edible.

Still, like everything in life, Manapua has to have balance, and mostly bun (bread), with little filling like the specimens shown above  just doesn’t cut it.

Yeah, I know there are much more serious  problems in this world. That’s why when it comes to food, we shouldn’t have to be dealing with “issues” or “drama” like this. lol

A concern or not as it may seem to you, thankfully the latest batch from Libby’s has redeemed their reputation as being one of, if not the best Manapua shop in Hawaii…

Ah, that’s much, much, MUCH BETTER!

Along with Charsiu Pork Manapua, Half Moon and Pork Hash, we also had Libby’s Chicken Manapua…

Pretty good! Heavy on the white pepper, with a very subtle curry accent, while being very moist and tender. Nice.

As for the customer service at the shop, which I’ve heard some complaints about, Diner C who got these for us (salamat po!) said that was another story. Still a little rude. Not that it should matter, as long as the Manapua’s good. Which thankfully it was this time!

Speaking of good, for dessert, let’s have some Chocolate Cream Pie from Sunny Side Bakery in Wahiawa!…

Once again, big salamat po to Diner C for all da’ ono grindz!

17 thoughts on “Libby's "Manapua Buns" Update January 2010

• January 31, 2010 at 7:16 am

Pomai, thank you for informing people of Libby improving their products. I gather the owner knew it bad after all those years the parents worked so hard to started the business for them. My late mother knew the parents owners and they were children working behide the counter kitchen that time.

As for the rudeness manners well add that as extras when shopping there.

Patti Chinese Kitchen manapuas not bad aslo along with their other dim sums products. They got a very skillful pastry chef working for them and made fresh daily.

• January 31, 2010 at 8:22 am

Jenny, what’s the name of the family who owns Libby’s? Surprisingly our two daily papers haven’t done any in-depth write-up on them. At least none that I’m aware of.

• January 31, 2010 at 10:56 am

Mahalo for the heads-up on the improved Libby’s manapua… must make it a stop while in Honolulu during my ‘parole’ from ‘Kwajatraz’ this summer! (All we get out here is frozen Golden Coin char siu manapua at the Kwaj commissary.)

• January 31, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Pomai, now they got to work on their manners for it been a while I was there for that reason. As for the manapuas yes it little in past another reason but will check it out after your entry. I guess you were not in Honolulu around in the late 60 or 70 when Libby was ran by their parents. It was very good businesss dim sums a bit funky lookingbut filling was so Ono. I was not yet born but cousins told me about it.

Will tgry tthe chicken buns since it look so good . I try Patti Chinese Kitchen dim sums and mighty good also.

• January 31, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Pomai, my family shop at many places for manapuas and dim sums and Libby when in the area. Chicken look yummy will get some soon. When at Pearlridge mall I like Patti’s manapuas and their half moons and pork hash, taro cake. I guess all the years they still have high standard to their products.

That what Libby must now keep it up also .

• February 1, 2010 at 8:17 am

Pomai, it will a while for Libby to have regular customers trusted them again after the cutback in fillings ect. Other places kept up with their standard knowing return business.

People may or may not return to them. Other places learn not do so like Libby in cutback.

All bloggers wrote of Patti Chinese Kitchen is true for many years never lost or change their standard in products. Their manapuas and dim sums awesome. I like their mooncake when it in season head out there.

• February 1, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I still think that Bruce and the gang at Char Hung Sut makes the best manapua, half moon, and pork hash.

• February 2, 2010 at 6:59 am

Hah! Yeah, now that Pomai’s got Libby’s putting the proper amount of filling in the manapua, they’re gonna be even grumpier than before! ;)

• February 2, 2010 at 7:51 am

I think after their cutback on fillings people rather still shop else where for their dim sum and manapuas it trust in Libby need to build it up again and that take time. Char Hung Suet and other places is where I head to still for now still.

• February 6, 2010 at 10:24 am

Kelike, no scade. Jus’ chance ’em. Libby’s won’t bite. lol

Marcus, as long as da’ Manapua’s good, personally I could care less about the customer service. Sometimes “grumpyness” is what gives a place its charm!

Nate, I think I’ll print a T-Shirt that says that: MANAPUA POLICE. Imagine walking into Libby’s or Char Hung Sut wearing that? lol

Yoro, I dunno. I’m on the fence between Libby’s and Char Hung Sut as for who’s “better”. They’re both great in their own way. Although Char Hung Sut has Ma Tai Soo, which Libby’s doesn’t.

Michael, next time I’m in Aiea, I’ll have to drop into Patty’s in Pearlridge and give their manapua a try.

Patty, Libby’s Chicken Manapua was quite tasty. I’d recommend at least trying it. Yet I still stick with the classic Charsiu Steamed Manapua. Can’t beat it.

Aaron, I don’t remember Libby’s back from their “shack” days. Only know of them with their new and modern concrete building.

Chuck, hey, at least you got that! That’s pretty good. While nowhere near as good as Libby’s, Char Hung Sut or Chun Wah Kam, Expats in many states on the CONUS could only WISH they had Golden Coin Manapua at their local supermarket. I noticed Safeway has their own brand of Charsiu Bau, which looks pretty much like Manapua. I’ll pick up some and blog it here later.

• February 6, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Hey, kinda off the subject of St. Louis Drive-In. . .
    When are you going to update your index? I wanted to show someone that write-up you did on SPAM mac nuts at Don Quixote. How can I find that?

• February 6, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Lois, it’s already listed on the index page here:

Macadamia Nuts with SPAM® Classic Flavor, Hamakua Plantations – 12/28/09

• May 2, 2010 at 5:56 pm

anyon know how to make some good pork hash?!?!?! i miss hawaii i wish i never move to the mainland, my husband misses libby’s manapua… i miss it and pork hash, wondering what i should put in the hash part!!! someone let me know!!! i mis hawaiian food and chinese food and japanese food there!!!! i just miss all the food there!!!!

• May 3, 2010 at 7:25 am

Judy, Nate the “Hawn Pake in Okinawa” has a couple more traditional Pork Hash recipes, but it’s a good start. Check out the following links:

Steamed Pork Hash w/ Salted Fish

steamed pork hash & hum nyee

I suppose you can follow his recipe for the filling and simply add the wonton wrapper to make it more like Pork Hash dim sum style.

• March 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Manapuas ok, but customer service by the owner sucks. Will go if desperated but highly don’t recommend the place at all. )= boo

• May 12, 2017 at 11:52 am

Man, so ono for good manapua, even if they rude–always been that way those pake kine. think they doing you a favor (I guess, yeah?).