Travel Channel’s ‘Man v. Food’ Visits Honolulu

Travel Channel’s ‘Man v. Food’ host Adam Richman poses with some fans on Waikiki beach (photo courtesy of The Travel Channel)

The following press release courtesy of
Wendy Hofstetter
The Travel Channel

What is Travel Channel’s Man v. Food?
Host Adam Richman sets out to travel the country in search of the best places to do some serious indulging. Adam’s quest brings him to some of the greatest traditional food the nation can serve up, and he takes on some epic food challenges along the way. Watch the series to find out who wins when Man takes on Food.

Honolulu Details
Adam’s first stop is Hukilau Cafe, which has delicious burger creations that are ‘worth crossing the Pacific for’. Their Hukilau Burger includes a beef patty, fried egg, grilled onions, and a piece of teriyaki beef. As Adam says, ‘Nothing goes better with beef than beef’. Their other special is the Loco Moco: 2 beef patties over rice, topped with 2 fried eggs and then drenched with brown gravy. This dish is so popular, it’s eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Next up is Helena’s Hawaiian Food. This place serves up authentic Hawaiian food using recipes that have remained all in the family. What’s amazing is none of these recipes are written down. The head chef (grandson of the original owner) just adjusts the flavor of his dishes by taste! Here Adam tries the kalua pig and pipikaula short ribs. YUM!

The main challenge, according to Adam, is “the doughiest I’ve ever faced”. He heads to MAC 24-7 to take on the Mac Daddy Pancake Challenge: 3 pancakes, 14 inches wide, weighing 4 pounds, covered in toppings that must be downed in less than 90 minutes. Adam chooses blueberries and vanilla cream for his toppings, which I think is pretty smart given his other options were chocolate, nuts, coconut and pineapple. Will the New York Daddy Mac be able to finish the Honolulu Mac Daddy? You’ll have to watch to see!

Tune-in tomorrow (Wednesday), September 9th at 10 E/P (7pm HST; repeats again at 8pm HST). Here’s a preview video of the pancake challenge…

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1GzoRIyxO4]

Also check out our Honolulu slideshow from Adam’s shoot.

Adam Richman (on the right in the brown and white Aloha shirt and sunglasses) partakes in a Hawaiian feast at Helena’s (photo courtesy of The Travel Channel)

************************************************

What? Man v. Food television program
What channel? The Travel Channel – Oceanic standard cable channel 58, digital channel 325
When? Wednesday, September 9, 2009 debut episode at 7pm HST; repeats again at 8pm HST
What will it feature? Host Adam Richman visits several eateries on Oahu, including Hukilau Cafe in Laie, Helena’s Hawaiian Food in Kalihi and Mac 24-7 in Waikiki, where he takes on the “Mac Daddy Pancake Challenge”.

Related links:
Man v. Food host tackles Mac 24-7 – Honolulu Star Bulletin
(Recap) ‘No Reservations’ Hawaii Episode Airs Tonight! – The Tasty Island

18 thoughts on “Travel Channel’s ‘Man v. Food’ Visits Honolulu

• September 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I am looking forward to this episode. Watching Adam eat makes my inner fat kid happy.

• September 8, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Man, I live so close to Helena’s seafood restaurant!

I thought eh, nothing special, but this is amazing haha.

• September 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Man, I live so close to Helena’s seafood restaurant!

I thought eh, nothing special, but this is amazing haha.
    P.S. – Sorry, forgot to tell you great post!

• September 9, 2009 at 5:19 am

I just set the dvr to tape this in case I forget. Thanks!

• September 9, 2009 at 5:39 am

That dude is going to explode some day.

• September 9, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I don’t know about Richman. I don’t think he respects food. He definitely doesn’t respect his body when he eats like that. What fun is it eating like that?

• September 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I loved this episode. Loco moco looked great, the hukilau burger was great (never tried it like that, but sounds perfect, I had hoped he’d slice in those two pieces of Spam and the Portuguese sausage in there too), and the lau lau? Man. I myself also liked how he made an attempt to say a number of Hawaiian properly, and got caught up in talking a bit of pidgin too. Best part (and spoiler alert for those who haven’t seen it yet) was as Adam was eating pancakes and the guy came up to him and was like “cuz”.

• September 10, 2009 at 3:57 am

The pancake thing was kinda stupid to say the least. Only for tourists.

• September 10, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I’m excited to see this — had to record it, so it’s in the queue for watching over the weekend. I think I’ll have some Spam and eggs when I do watch it. I love Adam; he cracks me up.

• September 10, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I love watching Adam, too. But wow–he had some Dog the Bounty-hunter moments. And what’s up with those “aunties” playing the ukulele at the Hukilau cafe? So cheesy….

• September 10, 2009 at 6:17 pm

What I don’t really “get” about this show’s concept is that Adam proclaims himself NOT to be a competitive eater, but instead plays more a role of a competitive eater wannabe just for the sake of entertainment, which as a viewer, I find a bit confusing. I mean, how can anyone be SERIOUS about finishing 5 lbs. of food within an hour (plus or minus, depending where they’re at) in one sitting without using competitive eating tactics? Save for those ad-lib “strategies” he apparently makes up along the way.

While eating the pancakes, I don’t remember once did he take a sip of his water, or better yet, DUNK the pancakes in his water to break it down before downing it. If you watch the Nathan’s Hot Dog competition, the water dunking of the bun is one of the most important parts of their strategy in order to break down the air mass of it. Yet the water didn’t play any tactical role in his attempt to win the pancake challenge, instead trying to change-up flavors to break its monotony, even ADDING bacon. Just one observation.

On another note, of course many of us locals are probably wishing the producers would have had him attempt to scorf down a (custom-made) 5 lb. plate of that Loco Moco from the Hukilau Cafe, or a (custom-made) 5 lb. Laulau from Helena’s. Or, of course a 5 lb. SPAM Musubi. Now THAT would have been something to see! Much more interesting (IMO) than watching him scorf down a mega-sized pancake that could have been served in an “Anywhere Diner USA”. Ya’ know?

As John Book mentioned, it was a nice touch how Adam threw in a little of the pidgin he learned, which he was actually pretty good at considering this looked like his first time EVER in Hawaii.

It was also nice to watch Adam’s reaction after trying Helena’s Laulau. It looked and sounded like he truly, genuinely, really enjoyed it. Maikai. To which even more the “Helena’s 5 lb. laulau challenge” would have been that much more enjoyable to watch. For added comedy, have local celebrities offer him bowls of poi and lomi salmon on da’ side as “chasers”. lol

The production and scripting of the show (being just a short 20 minutes, not including commercials) was very well done, and I actually liked the high energy “flow” of it better than Bourdain’s Hawaii episode, which seemed a little more “reserved” (no pun intended) and much slower paced than Man v. Food’s presentation. Of course Adam is “a few years younger” (and perhaps less jaded) than Anthony, which surely is a factor in that regard.

Michael says “What fun is it eating like that?” Exactly the point I don’t get. In most of the Man v. Food episodes I’ve watched, he starts off genuinely trying to enjoy the dish he’s challenged with, while trying to have fun and interact with his supporting audience at the same time. Whereas serious competitive eaters seem to practically care less what the food TASTES like, lest they even enjoy eating it. It’s all about just getting it down for the WIN. No fun at all. Just about WINNING. Adam’s approach to the challenge has more odds stacked against him in beating it, while halfway through it, he goes into physical suffering, which I suppose is the part people enjoy watching the most. Such is society today.

With that, I still pretty much “don’t get” the ‘Man v. Food’ part of this show; perhaps others may find that entertaining, but I’m often tempted to change the channel when that segment comes on. Yet, like all the other ‘Man v. Food’ episodes, I really did enjoy watching the first 2 segments that feature the cuisines of the town Adam is in, as in this case, Oahu. And in those parts, he’s very likable and entertaining. That said, I give give the Hukilau Cafe segment a 3 SPAM Musubi, the Helena’s Hawaiian Food Segment a 4, and the Mac 24-7 segment? Well, while I won’t go as far as what Okihwn said, let’s just say a SPAM Musubi rating is non-applicable here.

• September 11, 2009 at 3:51 am

Pomai, It dangerous now in Taiwan in eating contests. Last year a young college student died from eating steamed buns very fast. He choke to death. He won the contest but got so sick afterward from it which cause his death. Now people are afraid of eating contests.

• September 13, 2009 at 11:36 am

Last time we were in Honolulu visiting family (about 3 years ago) we heard about Mac 24/7. Our BIL warned us the pancakes were huge but we didn’t realize HOW huge. We were shocked at the prices so decided to just order two pancake orders for the four of us — two adults, one big-eating kid and one small-eating kid. Thank goodness the server informed us that one order feeds about six people. So we went with a chocolate macadamia-nut one and it was really good and we didn’t even finish it!

It was a lot of fun but if I were still a local I don’t think I would make that a regular spot. Everything else was overpriced ($9 for a small fruit platter?) and obviously geared for tourists. Still, the place was packed, and since we didn’t have a reservation for that time of the morning, about 9 a.m., we waited about 20 min. for a table.

Don’t know what the menu/prices/popularity of the place is now….

• September 14, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Pomai, I’ll take a stab at explaining the Man vs. Food concept (as I understand it, anyway).

When Adam says he’s not a competitive eater, he means he doesn’t compete against others. He doesn’t enter contests to see who can eat the most hot dogs, or the most jalapeno peppers, etc. It’s just him against the food in a battle to see who remains. In that way, he takes on challenges that are available to anyone who enters that particular restaurant. So sure, he can use competitive eating techniques, but it’s a challenge of completion, not a challenge of being the best.

Therefore, “Man vs. Food” really means “Man vs. Food,” not “Man vs. Other Men in a Competition Involving Food.”

Anyway, that’s my take on it!

• September 15, 2009 at 9:43 am

MAC 24/7 isn’t too far from the hotel where I stay on Kapahulu, so a couple of years ago I walked over to check it out. They had a dish on the menu called “The Elvis” — pancakes with peanut butter and bacon. Sounded good, so I ordered them (looks like they may no longer be on the menu). The waiter warned they were big, but you just really have no idea until you see the plate, which was about the size of a steering wheel. After that I noticed that everything — the coffee cup, the silverware, were oversized. I see the menu (at least the online menu) now states that the pancakes are 14″ in diameter. And you get three. I think I made it through 1/2 to 2/3rds of the top one, and I was finished. What a terrible waste of food.

As for the pancakes themselves, they were kind of a letdown, when they had the potential to be awesome. The flapjacks themselves were fine, but the bacon was mostly sprinkled on top, and the peanut butter was more of a too-sweet peanut butter sauce. If they’d have mixed the bacon and straight peanut butter in the batter, that would have been something. With maple syrup on top, it would have almost been like an upscale McGriddle. Oh, and they could cut the portion down by three quarters!