SPAM Hot Dogs

Hopefully by now your recurring nightmares from my recent SPAM Spread post have long since gone away and you can finally sleep tight once again. Well, not to rudely awaken you, but here we have yet another form of the infamous Hormel mystery meat, this time in the shape of a Hot Dog. This is news to me. Never seen them before now.

Which begs to question: what other shapes might the good folks at Hormel SPAM’s product development headquarters think of next? Dinosaurs? Zoo Animals? Simon Cowell’s hairdo? The Hawaiian Island chain? Hey, that last one could be a valuable collectible item, right there!

I’m willing to bet Hormel has received numerous consumer requests asking for SPAM produced in hot dog form, which actually addresses an idea I once had when thinking of taking a block of SPAM and manually cutting it into this shape so I could turn it into an Andadog. Or better said, “SPAM-DA-DOG”. Now I don’t have to do any custom cutting, as it’s good-to-go now, straight out of the package!

I heard about this from Diner A, who’s wife picked up a bulk pack of 3 from Sam’s Club just recently to try it out.

Here at this angle you can see the color of the uncooked SPAM weiners…

So Diner A brought a couple SPAM Hot Dogs to work, including hot dog bun and condiments. Only thing, instead of frying it until crispy and golden brown, he nuked it, so it didn’t taste like how I’m normally used to eating SPAM, which is fried. Just nuking it versus frying it had it tasting like raw (although technically it’s cooked), albeit hot SPAM. If nuking them doesn’t work, I’d say boiling them – like you could do with traditional hot dogs – is certainly out of the question. Would you boil regular SPAM? Me thinks not.

An important thing to note is they don’t have any casing on them. It’s all exposed SPAM. Although you can tell they were cooked in casing at the factory, then the casing is removed for packaging.

With that, even though it was just heated up in the mircowave, it did indeed taste like SPAM, thank goodness, and certainly not no SPAM Spread stuff. Ack!

These beg to be pan-fried though, just like regular SPAM. Even better if it were rolled in a Teriyaki glaze afterwards, then put in a toasted hot dog bun along with Takuwan and Beni Shoga for the condiment. Oh yeah!

You might recall I made a hot dog like that not long ago using a Redondo’s Arabiki Hot Dog…

Pomai’s Tonkrazy! Dog on the left with shredded cabbage, takuwan (yellow stuff), beni shoga (red stuff) and tonkatsu sauce, and an American style Arabiki Hot Dog on the right. The hot dog buns are standard Love’s Bakery brand.

Another no-brainer idea for these SPAM Hot Dogs would be to make a Musubi with it, but instead of using a block-shaped musubi form, roll it in the middle Maki Sushi style, like how Masa & Joyce Okazuya makes theirs…

Speaking of hot dogs, I snapped a couple of action photos this past Sunday at the beach of a dog fetching a frisbee from its owner, catching some air in the process…

Advertisements

25 thoughts on “SPAM Hot Dogs

• April 23, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Oh. My. Goodness.

I MUST find these.

Costco shopping list this weekend:

Kirkland Whole Grain Bread
    Pepsi Natural
    Kirkland Organic Soy Milk
    SPAM Hot Dogs

• April 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Pomai, where is that beach located?

• April 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Marvo, can’t wait for your review about it!

Nate, glad to hear you made it back to Okinawa in one piece!

Yoro, Diamond Head Beach.

• April 24, 2009 at 7:18 am

Pomai, I like the spam hotdogs but so far have not seen it yet in San Francisco Safeways or other supers. I like to wrap hotdog in tortilla and deep fry it and serve with salsa and the work ect. Sometime cooked in crushed pineapple with brown sugar and mustard serve for dinner.

• April 24, 2009 at 9:41 am

Mmm I will added those recipe to my collection of hotdogs recipe which I have some too. Instead of tortilla I use eggroll wrapper for it and another is flour and egg and panko and fry. I do like the andagi dogs also.

• April 24, 2009 at 10:49 am

Instead of panko use cornmeal it more crispy and add a different texture and taste. Serve with pineapple chutney.

• April 24, 2009 at 11:26 am

Oh, I LOVE boiled Spam! I like to cut it into matchsticks and add it to packaged ramen. I think frying adds a salty flavor to it.

• April 25, 2009 at 5:37 am

Oh WOW! SPAM hot dogs. Now my life is complete. Yes, I am looking forward to SPAM hot dog musubi…with mac salad…and kimchee… As an expat living outside Chicago, sometimes it’s hard to find anything but the basic can of SPAM. Hope I can find some of the SPAMdogs soon. A hui hou…

• April 25, 2009 at 6:02 am

Will, if you make a SPAM Hot Dog Musubi, consider rolling it Maki Sushi style, like how it’s depicted above from Masa & Joyce Okazuya. It seriously rocks that way!

Syndrax, boiled SPAM, eh? Whatevahz. lol I’ll stick with the salty, fried (flavorful) SPAM.

Kimo, I always wanted to try making “SPAM Katsu”, but never got around to it. Pineapple Chutney sounds interesting. Never tried it before. Only Pineapple Salsa.

Any, your deep fried SPAM Tortilla recipe sounds interesting.

Nate, whoah, 18 hours?!!!! Damned. I hope you had a day off or two to get some rest.

Marvo, correction: the place of purchase for these SPAM Hot Dog 3-packs was SAM’S CLUB (Pearl City location), not Costco.

• April 26, 2009 at 4:48 pm

I would like to see you do a review of Shimazu’s Shave Ice on School Street near McDonald’s. It is the greatest. Granted, I am biased. I really like it. I would like to see how you handle it. Talk to the owner. His name is Kelvin. Tell him Papa Al told you.

• April 26, 2009 at 10:04 pm

I also think that doing a review at shimazu’s store is a great idea, it was previously owned by the B&S people or something, don’t quite remember the name; they were a very nice old couple.

I always skate by that place on my way home from school, it seems pretty popular.

• April 28, 2009 at 6:49 am

What next, Spam ice cream? :) Not sure if I could eat Spam dogs if they weren’t fried. The texture might be too soft for me.

Speaking of hot dogs, Pomai, have you noticed that the Costco food court has discontinued offering Sinai Kosher for their hot dogs and now serves its own Kirkland brand of dogs? According to the Costco Connections magazine, Sara Lee no longer makes Sinai Kosher. Last time I went to Costco I picked up a pack of Hebrew National instead, since we love our kosher dogs, but it doesn’t have the “snap” of the Sinai Kosher. Sigh. What’s a girl to do? Kosher hot dogs are so expensive if you buy them in the regular stores, and the Kirkland brand dogs DO have the “snap,” but they’re not kosher. What are your thoughts on this?

(I don’t mean to hijack the thread. Feel free to delete this if you wish, Mr. Palate.)

• April 28, 2009 at 4:45 pm

FYI, I emailed Hormel and asked if SPAM Hot Dogs were available here (just outside Chicago) and they said that they were only available in Hawaii and California.

• March 29, 2010 at 9:47 am

Being a Minnesota company, Hormel had them at their Spam booth last year at the Minnesota State Fair. I had one, and it tasted good, but I should have bought a package to try on an open fire.

• October 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm

This…is…soo.. awesome. :]
    Wished they sold these on the mainland.

• October 9, 2012 at 4:45 am

As far as I can see, SPAM Hot Dogs are no longer available here in Hawaii. Must have either flopped and/or been a limited edition.

If you ask me, as a spinoff to their Hickory-smoked flavor, Hormel should consider an exclusive-to-the-islands “Kalua Pork SPAM”, using mesquite (Kiawe) as its smoking wood … or liquid, or chemical; the latter of which what they probably use anyway. “Kalua Pork SPAM”? That’s a TOTALLY marketable name!

• October 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I would like to be able to buy the spam hot dogs but I can’t find a way to buy them as a consumer in I ndiana

• October 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Tina,

SPAM Hot Dogs are no longer available at grocery retailers in Hawaii as well. At least not in any stores I frequent. Don’t worry, you’re not missing out on anything. They were just OK. Hormel should have put them in a casing, as it needs that “snap”.

• November 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm

where can I get these a lot of people are asking. someone gave me a pack to try, and it was the best hot dog I ate, I can’t find it.

• April 23, 2013 at 3:30 pm

These Spam Hot Dogs are ono-liscous! Fried them on the woodstove and they were so good – problem is I can’t find them out here in Spanaway!

• December 18, 2016 at 10:30 am

I contacted hormel about spam dogs and they said they didn’t survive the market and are they are not available. To bad since I like spam. I’m going to try to make my own with just spam tha I get in the stores.

• December 18, 2016 at 10:43 am

Norman,

I’m surprised Hormel actually got back to you. I’ve tried contacting them numerous times over the years with various questions about their products, with NO RESPONSE. ;-(

If you do use regular SPAM and cut it into a shape of a hot dog, make to get the 25% LESS SODIUM version, as the regular SPAM’s sodium is so high, I don’t think you’d make it through even half of that SPAM “hot dog”.